Do you celebrate Christmas?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
I am a Christian because I believe in Jesus Christ...
but I don't celebrate Christmas. It's against the Bible.

smile

yerssot
funny how something as pagan as christmas is under the religion forum

Jury
Because it concerns with the faith... and it is also a religious practice, right? confused

So, i think it should be in Religion Forum. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
I was just having a snap at christmas and christianity

Jury
why? confused

Because some Christians believe Christmas day as Christ's birthday... which I don't.

It's nonetheless unbiblical.

yerssot
cause they celebrate a pagan feast of course

Jury
certainly. that's why i made this thread. smile

Imperial_Samura
Quite funny, here in Australia at the moment, there is all manner of controversy about political correctness and so forth. Christianity, in one form or another, is the predominant religion. Likewise, it is the biggest holiday period of the year (we don't have Thanksgiving, or things like that). Thus, a lot of decorations and celebrations have been toned down as councils and the like say that we shouldn't force Christmas on others, non-Christians and the like, which sounded funny when a number of prominent non-Christians stepped forward and said they didn't mind, that it is a wonderful time of year which a person can enjoy regardless of beliefs, a time of good will and fellow ship, as well as a Holiday.
So yes, I do celebrate Christmas.

finti
i think of it as winter solstice

WindDancer
Christmas is okay. I celebrated if I feel like it. Or if I have money to buy presents.

Clovie
i think so

frodo34x
I celebrate christmas, but almost for the commercial reasons.

I am a devout christian, but I don't believe that Jesus was born on the 25th.

eleveninches
i celebrate it, but not because of the religious thing, more because of the tradition of it

Jackie Malfoy
I am jewish but I celebrate christmas with my mom and stepfather but with my dad he does not celebrate christmas but I still get gifts from him and my stepmom and so does my twin sister.JM

Bardock42
I don't celebrate christmas, I get presents from people that think that Christmas is an important Christian Holiday. You klnow I like presents so I just pretend I think Christmas is great, I am a Hippocrit and proud of it. Oh and yes of course it is unbiblical but why tell people if they are happy with it?

Celestialgirl
me too! In world religion class they said it was after so many moons and they prooved it was around the 8th of december.

finti
hey thats cool JM .. happy for yah

Afro Cheese
Yeah I celebrate Christmas. It has nothing to do with beliefs.. Christmas is fun. Give me a menorah and I'll celebrate Hanukkah too.

finti
yeah give man a reaon and he jump the ocean too

Darth Revan
I've always celebrated Christmas, honestly I can't imagine what it would be like this time of year without it. If there was no Christmas, I would probably be wearing the same pair of shoes as I was 5 years ago...

Tela
Yes. That's how I got my first hockey stick rockon

frodo34x
Just a question, how much of that is choice, and how much of that is through your parents?

Celestialgirl
Actually it does-it's how the whole thing started, duh catch up on history. It started out as pagan then the high christian people changed it for Christ's birthday.

MC John 117
I'm not Christian or Catholic. In my mind, and in society, Christmas has lost all but a few religious aspects, (the whole Jesus thing), and is naught else more than a corporate scheam to make people go out and spend spend spend. stick out tongue

Celestialgirl
Catholic is christian, I am Christian and I do agree with you for most people christmas has lost real value for people who say their christian

Bardock42
well I like people spending money for me, its gonna suck when I am older an d have to buy a lot of presents maybe I will abandon my celebration of Christmas then.

MC John 117
stick out tongue
I gave up buying stuff for other ppl long ago too. stick out tongue

Bardock42
that is the right spirit, **** christmas if I don't derive anything from it

Celestialgirl
I'm gonna celebrate it but I don't want any gifts.

MC John 117
That's noble of you.

Celestialgirl
thanks, but I'm not always that noble

MC John 117
stick out tongue
Neither am I. In fact, if there was a fight, I'd run the other way. stick out tongue

Celestialgirl
If it was me and I couldn't escape I'd go for the vulnerable spot or pull their hair

MC John 117
*OUCH*
*Backs slowly away from Celestialgirl and eyes door with big red EXIT sign*.....

Celestialgirl
lol I'm most likely to start fights mostly with my mom who suprisingly is the one who made me christian but I guess that's why we don't go to the same church

MC John 117
laughing out loud

Bardock42
gosh!! take a room guys

Napalm
Of course I celebreate christmas

Bardock42
what happened to Scarpa?

Napalm
I am scarpa

Bardock42
I do realise that, so whatz happened to your Nickname

Napalm
just bored with it

Afro Cheese
Maybe I worded it wrong.. me celebrating Christmas has nothing to do with my beliefs. I celebrate it because it is a fun holiday, and I like getting 2 weeks off of school. If you feel that is somehow tarnishing the birthday of your lord, you can say what I'm celebrating isn't Christmas, I really don't give a damn.

big gay kirk
Paganism is a religion... well, several religions actually... the above quote is like saying, "funny how something as Hindu as Diwali is under the religion forum.."

big gay kirk
Fraid not... unless the Bible is lying, Jesus was born between April and October.... the key phrase can be found in matthew... "And there were at that time shepherds abiding in the fields with their sheep..." In Judaea around the first century, shepherd lived in the fields with their sheep in the high pastures during the dryer summer months, bringing the sheep down about October time to the meadows around the villages... then the shepherds would spend the winter in their homes... cf also Joseph taking food to his brothers who were also abiding with the sheep....

Jury
if i remember, but im not so sure... i once watched , or read, or heard... that Christ's birth was sometime around the 4th of April, 4BC.

Jury
My concern was this.. why i posted this in Religion forum...

Christmas is observed as Christ's Birthday as believed and practiced by almost all Christians ever since... but the origin of Christmas was all Pagan.

It is a serious and dangerous matter for us Christians, I mean the true Christians, to follow pagan notions because it was strictly prohibited in the Bible.

smile

Bardock42
well but the idea of christmas is very christian, I am sure your God won't take it wrong if you celebrate christmas.

Afro Cheese
It doesn't matter what date they are celebrating Christmas.. they could celebrate it on the 4th of July it doesn't matter.. if they are celebrating the birth of Christ they aren't celebrating a pagan holiday.

Bardock42
yeah I think so too, I bet your God is fine with you celebrating Christmas

vagaryatwill
I've always celebrated christmas. I come from somewhat of a religous family and we do both the religous celebration and all the traditional holiday stuff. It's nice. We don't really give elaborte gifts, a lot of gift certificates to places like staples, best buy, barnes and noble, etc. We give the small kids small dolls or toys like bed buggs, but we don't go all out. It's a nice medium.

big gay kirk
well..... several times in the Bible, most notably in Isaiah and Leviticus, the Judaeo-Christian God specifically instructs his followers not to worship him using pagan forms of worship... for example, in jeremiah He forbids the decorating of trees... in Exodus he forbids not just the worship of, but the very making of idols... also, you will notice that only three people in the Bible celebrate birthdays... one of the pharoahs who is being nasty to tyhe Hebrews, one of the Babylonian kings who is being nasty to the hebrews, and one of the Herods, who is being particularly nasty to John the baptist... in fact, the early Christian churches NEVER celebrated birthdays, choosing instead to celebrate the death of a person as their entry to God's Kingdom....

BackFire
Yes, I love Christmas and always celebrate it. And yes, I'm an athiest. Too me it has no religious meaning, but is a celebration of all that is good in the world, good will, kindness, materialism, friendship and love. Christmas time is one of my favorite times of the year.

Afro Cheese
You know alot about the bible.. Anyway I was only commenting that it doesn't matter what day they celebrate Christmas. I really don't know much about Christianity or Paganism and won't pretend to, but I was just saying I don't think it matters if they got the date right, it matters what they are celebrating. If all that stuff you said is right than Christmas could be a Pagan holiday.. I dunno. But it wouldn't be Pagan because of the date, it would be Pagan because of the other factors you mentioned.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
Yup i celebrate Christmas! ya know when Jesus was born and stuff!

Jury
No. The idea of Christmas is pagan. Try to read any kind of History books. You will know.

Besides, the erroneous date would result in any other way as "imposing a lie".

Christmas is a christianized pagan celebration as declared by some historians.

Yes, I am there. It is indeed an honor for us Christians and also imposing glory to both God and Jesus while celebrating Christ's birth. But, let's face it. We don't know the date. If we can't have any sources of this date, then why base it from pagan feast? Why imitate the same practices and make Christian versions out of them? (i.e: the tree, the candle, the santa claus, the turkey, the socks, the ham, the lights, the carols, etc.) These are all pagan notions and practices. Pagans who give glory to Sol Invictus were doing these every 25th of December.

Since we do not know when the exact date is, why not honor Christ's birth everyday of our Christian lives? Why in the date when it is purely based from pagans? Why practice things which tag along in it? If only Jesus is still here on earth, He won't like it that way. Surely.

Jesus Christ Himself and His apostles warned the people of God to stay away from imitating pagan notions and give up living like them... at least according to the Bible.

Bardock42
I didn't say Christmas was Christian but the idea behind christmas (like being nice and friendly and shit) Try to read any kind of my post. You will understand.

Oh and if Jesus actually was such a good guy as you christens always say I think he wouldn't give a **** and smoke some weed with you (the old hippie).

frodo34x
What is it with KMC people and Christens? It's Christians.

To be honest, I celebrate Christmas for commercial reasons.

Bardock42
I know its Christian I just told you why I am going to call em Christens from now on

A4E
christmas against the bible?? lol

Bardock42
well the Jury Dude kind of got a point

big gay kirk
Yup.... fraid so... just as an aside, a quote from the Catholic Encyclopaedia, under the entry "Natal Day..."

"Only sinners, never saints, celebrate the day they were born into this world..."

MC Mike
I'm glad it lost the religious part. Freedom of religion allows those who believe in it, to celebrate the religious part, but if you don't believe in it, you should be able to celebrate the same holiday.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I get gifts before X mas.

frodo34x
So do Muslims.

finti
we celebrate xmas at xmas eve, xmas day must be the most boring day in the year here in Norway nothing but bloody church bells

Jury
Originally posted by MC John 117
I'm not Christian or Catholic. In my mind, and in society, Christmas has lost all but a few religious aspects, (the whole Jesus thing), and is naught else more than a corporate scheam to make people go out and spend spend spend.

Originally posted by MC Mike
I'm glad it lost the religious part. Freedom of religion allows those who believe in it, to celebrate the religious part, but if you don't believe in it, you should be able to celebrate the same holiday.
------------

Well,

Christmas is absolutely related to Religion. Because it is one of the Catholics' and Protestants' beliefs. If you think Christmas lost its religious part... then you don't mean Christmas at all.

smile

Christmas is Pagan notion in origin.
Bible is against any Pagan notions and practices.
Therefore, Bible is against Christmas.

Bardock42
Thats great that makes me like christmas more.

DirectorFitz
I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. But instead of putting a Star on our tree, we put an Angel. And we put statues of Nativities around our house. We worship Christ and God...we don't worship the tree.

DirectorFitz
Originally posted by big gay kirk

We don't celebrate our birth. We celebrate our Savior's birth. And Jesus never celebrated his own birth either.

finti
that you dont know

Bardock42
well how should someone that wasn't born celebrate his birth, seriously finti, think before you post.

big gay kirk
Funnily enough, having an "angel" on top of the tree is as pagan as a star... in the Norse tradition, the fir tree represents Lord Freyr, the god of plenty... well, a certain part of him, anyway...the angel or fairy represents his sister, Freya, goddess of fertility.... and the tree goes between her legs....

big gay kirk
And the Bible doesn't just forbid the worship of the tree... but the decoration of it as well... just as in the Commandments the making of ANY image, not just holy ones, is expressly forbidden... this is why strict Muslims will not have paintings or statues of any kind, and the less strict will tolerate only abstract ones....

Afro Cheese
So you don't celebrate birthdays?

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Jury

smile

What? How? I am a christian, and do celebrate Christmas.

cking
me to

JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by yerssot

CHRISTMAS IS NOT PAGAN IT IS THE CELEBRATION OF JESUS CHRIST'S BIRTH... HINS THE NAME CHRISTMAS

cking
it only celebrates him not santa claus like many people believe, he is only used to get money in malls.

debbiejo

Shakyamunison
I only celebrate the PAGAN part. Just because Christians took the holiday from the pagan doesn't mean they get to keep it, we will take it back... laughing

cking
I celebrate the spiritual part the true christmas, being thankful of what we have.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cking
I celebrate the spiritual part the true christmas, being thankful of what we have.

Hay cking, did you know that, together we make a hole Christmas, the religious side and the secular side.

cking
yes we do.

debbiejo
Originally posted by cking

You are celebrating a false day instituted by the Church that dates back to the 300's AD...AND from what I've read, people didn't celebrate birthdays back in that time period...only the day of someones death.

There is no TRUE CHRISTMAS...Just like there is not real EASTER...The proper day for the crucifixion would of been Passover.

Jury
Christmas shelters LIES.

debbiejo
Christmas shelters LIES.

Just like religions.

Jury
It depends on your prerogative to define "religion".

Shakyamunison

Jury
I acknowledge those definitions.

And then?

Blue_Butterfly
I celebrate Christmas only for one reason. I get new stuff and so does my daughter and everyone else. Everybody is happy and it a time to spend with lots of family. I never really celebrated it because of "gods birthday".

Chaosbark
I see it as Christmas should be celebrated by those that wish to. If some don't aknowledge that as a holiday then that is their decision. As, for the birthday of God that is entirely up to the person. If someone celebrates that personal belief then let them do it freely. Let me restate it again, religion should not be slammed as debbiejoe put it earlier. Some may see it fit to discuss their opinion but they could possible have respect for the persona's religion. Am I wrong in thinking this?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by yerssot

And paganism isn't a religion...?

Yes, I celebrate Christmas - it has very little to do with Jesus though...it has to do with santa...mostly.

debbiejo
Cause it's really Mithras Birthday...The Sun God...Truly is.

darth_royke
i celebrate it in the sence that it brings families together, and the giving and sharing aspects. i dont celebrate it for jesus however.

mysparrow
Christmas began as a celebration of the winter solstice which is a pagan feast , and the west picked it up just as they have most of the holidays, if you research the Jewish calendar Jesus was actually born in the spring after one of the feast of the old testament. and while we are at it Easter is also a pagan holiday celebrating the goddess of fertility LOL

debbiejo
Yep.

AOR

smile

Ahhh Jury, have not had the pleasure in reading your threads in a long time....lets see here.

I of course will require where it is non biblical before I begin my opening statement....

_Sanctuary_
laughing out loud Also easter is a pagan holiday too! About the goddess Eostra!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.