Will Luke and Leia be named?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chimpwars
Just something I thought about the other night while watching the OT, and couldn't find anything on this subject USING the search button (apparently it's not just there for show...)

Do we know for sure whether Luke and Leia will actually be named in Episode III? We all know they will appear at the end, but will they names be omitted?

Just think about this the 'Lucas' way for a minute...

Obviously he sees Star Wars as a full six episode saga and has set them up to be watched by future generations in the 1 - 6 episode order.
With this being the case wouldn't it be very strange for future watchers to discover in Ep III that Luke and Leia are related and then watch Luke 'incestuously' pine after her in EP IV?

Also, all the surprise in EP V when revealing Luke and Leia's relationship would be lost - the viewers would know this for 1 1/2 films!

As soon as EpIV begins people would click who Luke is (we'll see the homestead in EpIII) but the surprise of Leia's identity would be upheld until Ep V.

Because of this, I honestly believe we may not know the babies names in Ep III - IMO it would maintain the EP V surprise if we didn't (the Vader/i'm your father surprise has gone out the window) and lend itself much more to the entire saga.

Just my thoughts, sorry if its been covered already...

PVS
the "i am your father" bit is out the window anyway.

anakin skywalker, luke skywalker.

you bring up valid points, but the fact is we will have many surprises killed by the PT, including the skywalker twins. it sucks, but thats the way it is. perhaps...PERHAPS we wont learn the names, which will keep leah unanimous in the OT...but knowing lucas he will destroy each and every surprise in the OT like its his mission.

Jackie Malfoy
I think they will.But because they grow up with the foster family there names might had been changed to protect them both from the empire or Ankin so it is possible,JM

chimpwars
Sad but true, PVS.

But thinking about it who would blame him?! - I'm sure 'Baby Luke' and 'Baby Leia' figures would sell far more and make him far more money than 'Baby 1' and 'Baby 2'.

But seriously, I'm sure he values the quality of his Saga over what options would make him more money.........but I wouldn't bet my ROTS shirt, ROTS briefcase, ROTS toothbrush, ROTS razor, ROTS car tyres, ROTS shoe laces, ROTS contact lens solution, ROTS toothpicks or my ROTS house mortgage on it.... ..

jnolan
that is a very good point chimp, i never thought about the viewer knowing them both and then how it would look in IV, im sure this has allready been brought up but what if leia was still born and luke born alive, then obi and luke leave on tattoine and yoda does something to bring leia back as shes only "mostly dead" (princess bride fans will get that joke) explainin why yoda knew of her and not Obi

Batman316
You know..... I hope the names arn't mentioned. After all it's not essencial that we know the names at the end of epIII

Nice thought Chimpy smile

jnolan
LMAO at what chimp just said, all i could think of while i was reading your last post was spaceballs when they're in yogurts cave, spaceballs the lunch box, the cereal, the action figures.....and the kids are gonna love this one...Spaceballs the FLAMETHROWER

Red Superfly
Watching the saga 123456 is the biggest mistake anyone can do. They are designed to be watched 456123.

The OT is the main bulk of the story. The PT is just the story that fills in the gaps and tells us the "how" of Vader. That's all. A neat little backstory that tells us how Vader became Vader. In order for us to care about Anakin Skywalker, and sense his tragedy, it's better to understand who he becomes.

This is how it goes if you watch 123456:

- Stupid random boy and stupid alien annoys the heck out of us - why are they here?

- This Anakin Skywalker is annoying - why is he always moaning?

- Why is Obi-Wan Kenobi lying to Luke all the time?

- Now the OT tells us NOTHING new.

- Best surprise line of all time is RUINED (I am your father).

This is how it goes by watching it 456123:

- Kicks off the way it was menat to be - right into the action on a huge scale, with some droids who don't have a clue as to whats going on - the perfect introduction.
- Meet new characters, Ben lies and we believe him like Luke.
- Vader is A VILLAIN. Vader shocks us all with the infamous line (I am your father!). Ben tells us whats going on. Loads of shocks.
- The PT tells us how Vader tragically fell - we feel sorry for Anakin and at the same time cannot wait to see his transformation.

I'd NEVER recommend watching the prequels first. Stupid.

DARTH DADDY
I like your thinking. That maybe kind of wierd for us to see it that way, but like you said for future saga watchers that do watch it in order, this could still be a suprise to them. Small in comparison to Vader being the father but still something.

Red Superfly
It's kinda ironic when Lucas says the six chapters are really about Vader - thing is, if you watch them 123456, it removes all interest and mystery his character has.

When you see Vader for the first time in ANH, we're like "Who the hell is that? I'd love to see his face" - it makes the "unmasking" in ROTJ that bit more special.

If however, we ALREADY know what Vader looks like, then what mystery is there?

Speaking of mystery - for the sake of Boba Fetts character, it's also advisable to watch the OT first.

PVS
i have been argueing that point since the moment lucas dictated that the films shall be viewed 123456. utter bullshit that is. i swear, it seems he just hates his OT and feels the need to kill every bit of mystery in it. the second he started calling the PT the "real story" i was concerned.

Red Superfly
He WHAT?

He called the PT the "proper story"?

Man he makes so much BS up it's unbelievable.

Next he'll be saying Darth Vader was always going to be Lukes father.........

This just shows that the Original Star Wars movies were an absolute fluke on Lucas' part. If he had the resources and technology back in 79 to make what he "originally" wanted I dread to think what crap the OT would have been. The technology, resources and his COLLEAGUES shaped those movies into classics. He can "claim" he was responsible for Darth Vader's brilliant character - but in actual fact it was down to his artists and Ben Burtt that the character wrote itself.

Man, I'm so sick of this crap. I wouldn't mind if he would just tell the truth, admit that the OT was the main story.

In the DVD's he said that the main bulk of what could be done was in Episode 4, and that he had SMALL backstories (ie his prequel inspiration) of the certain characters.

Lucas can claim he wrote it all back in 78, 79 or whenever - but he should also admit he's f**cking with them and re-writing whatever stories he originally wrote. He should stick to his guns.

DARTH DADDY
I guess that's one of the downfalls to making prequels. You already know too much, so the big suprises in the original movie are no more. If the original came out, after the first one, they would be a flops. I think the only prequel that may work is "The Hobbit". If GL could leave somethings still a mystery, like the names, it wold still bring some suprises if you watch them in order.

PVS
well superfly, what he was saying was something along the lines of "the real story has yet to be told" which i viewed in the comentary on the OT VHS in the beginning of ROTJ in his interview with leonard malton

Ushgarak
Nah, look, when he says the PT is the 'real' story, he means they are the films essential to understanding Anakin... which is the central focus of the story.

But yes, in general, it is obvious that you aree doing yourself a disservice trying to watch the films in numerical order if you have not yet seen them.

DARTH DADDY
I don't think there is anything wrong with going back and reworking somethings that maybe didn't make since or would be better this way, if it didn't change the storyline to much. And I do think the bulk of the movie is in the OT. But, there is more to the PT then just a few odds and ends. There is a lot more. How the Emperor came to be, how the Empire came to be. All the Jedi and what happened to them. I can't forget Jar Jar. More could be said, but it is more then just Vader.

DARTH DADDY
If I were to sit down with friends who had not seen SW yet, I would watch them in the order that they came out. That way they are more interested in the back story. How did? Well why? You'll just have to watch the PT, "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR...PLUG IT IN...COME ON"

eleveninches
i hope they are NOT named, as it would ruin the part in episode 6 where leia is revealed to be lukes sister, and anyway, the whole point of episodes 5 and six were that LUKE was the single last hope for the rebellion. The ep5 vader confrontation would not have been as powerful if you knew that the allience had another hope apart from luke.

Jedi Priestess
which would be precisely why I advise always watching them in the order filmed myself. yes

PVS
hell yeah. in fact, when i inevitably buy the 6 disk full set, the first thing im going to go i rearange the dvds in the box. 456123 stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
Are you seriously going to buy that? WHY? I'll just buy the ROTS DVD and call it good. yes

PVS
because im another mindless consumer who flips george lucas the bird with one hand and shoves money in his pocket with the other laughing out loud

DARTH DADDY
At least I know I'm not the only one then. I to await the 8 DVD set. You know there will be a couple extra for bonus footage, deleted scenes and the "the making of". Another billion for GL come that release date. Plus when it comes out it would probably have new scenes that he has gone back and changed, I mean updated.

J-Unit
There Names Will Be In Episode III because how do Vader Know His Name In OT But Leya Im Little Unsure On

Darth Surgent
yes

smoker4
It depends in a certain point of view!! embarrasment
Okay seriously i will just watch bits of 1, all of 2 and 3, all of 4 and 5 and bits of 6, is it just me or do other people skip through phantom and return to get to the good bits where as i good watch the others(which are released of course) all the time??????
yeah and Boba Fett used to be interesting, there is something to be said about not knowing a characters background, shoe size, favourite colour etc,,, whats the word? oh yeah speculation! reading

Red Superfly
I hate the new info about Boba Fett to be honest. I hate the whole fact that the Clonetroopers are Boba's dad's clones. How lame is that?

I want to forget the prequels and go back to a time when I DIDN'T know all about Boba, and that both he and Vader used to be a pair of annoying brats.

"Get him Dad get him! Fire" (in crappiest voice possible)

Talk about polishing a diamond into dust.

smoker4
God i agree superfly that bit just spoiled a brilliant space battle with the fake laugh too!! I realise its his way of appealing to kids but ffs, come on george mystery, whats wrong with a bit??

jedijunky1138
At first I thought... here we go again, another pointless thread, so I didn't open it right away. Then I started to think about it and realized, hey this guy makes a good point. We need more of these posts.

Back on topic..... No I don't think the kids will be named, at least by Padme. If rumors are true and she does die during child birth she would not be able to name them. She may have the names picked out prior to there birth but would she have told everyone of her plans? No because she is trying to keep it secret.

smoker4
Good job if she had there names worked out otherwise they could have been sonny and cher!

theshakl
ok ok i am so tired! TIRED!!!!!!!!!! of people arguing that wathching OT first kills everything..it does NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first of all there are many suprises if you watch them in order.. Palpatine being the badguy, the badguys winning, and the biggest shocker which would be Anakin turning evil..which would be a HUGE and very suprising shocker to those who watch them in order...

anyways then the OT will be watched with much more enthusiasm as u feel the pains of Vader And Obi Wan.. u want Anakin's son to succeed where his father has failed and everything is much more exciting than just watching it 4-6 first..not even knowing who Luke is or where he comes from.. U see Vader..and u just think he is a bad guy..nothing special about him... just another villain....

but the OT is so much more enriched by the history of the characters...

I recommend 1-6 all the way! woo hoo! THE OT IS DEAD.. there is only STAR WARS

eleveninches
i hope leia isnt named

Red Superfly
Good point actually, but still not good enough. Empire Strikes Back has the bad guys winning remember.

And Anakin turning evil is pretty obvious even from Episode II, even a friend of mine who hasn't sen Star Wars before said "I bet he turns on Obi-Wan in the fight" when he watched Dooku vs Ani/Obi. Obviously he didn't, but he was still waiting for Anakins turn - which he gatherred from watching Episode II ONLY.

That same friend also commented on how Palpatine and Sidious were the same actor.
He is a casual movie goer, knows nothing about Star Wars, and has so far predicted every surprise it has going for it - The Palpatine shocker and Anakin's betrayal. Not so surprising.

Jedi Priestess
As long as it's not Obi-Wan naming them, Im good.

Jackie Malfoy
One word GL and this is off topic but do not make anymore star wars after the third one.Please!It is perfect the way it is!JM

smoker4
The naming thing has always bothered me, who does name them? and why does luke keep the surname skywalker instead of lars, Obi-wan could have told him that his real name is skywalker in new hope and wouldnt the name ring alarm bells when he is transmitting his application to the imperial acadamy??? If not palps and vader must believe that the baby(or babies if they know its twins) died with their mother.

For my money i think the respective foster familys give them their first names

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.