Blockbuster Video = No Late Fees

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/news/midcaps/blockbuster_latefees/

So, in a nutshell, all rentals at Blockbuster are now either 9 days or 14 days. Anything over a week from it's "official" due date, you get charged for the movie, save the rental fee.

You lazy bastards are killing the movie rental industry. stick out tongue

.:Space Opera:.
awesome! theyre starting to get a little bit better than hollywood video

BackFire
Yeah, heard about this about a week ago.

Kinda strange

Dr. Strangelove
I guess I better start using all of those free movie rental coupons for Blockbuster. This also probably has to do with the money Blockbuster is losing to Netflix, on demand channels etc.

Ronny
so you can keep the movie if you just forgot to turn it in for the due date? huh

ragesRemorse
untill they decide to charge you from the credit number you gave them when sighning up.

I mean, i guess thats cool and all, but i thought for sure, Blockbuster made most of thier money from late fee's. Doesnt matter any way, i'll still be renting from Giant eagle.

And does anyone actually rent from netflix?

Jackie Malfoy
I saw this on the news.And thought it was great news.Most of my videos are over due and they know me there by now.So this is great news for you late brings!JM

speiderman
I really dislike Blockbuster. I think Hollywood Video is better.

ragesRemorse
Went to blockbuster the other night. First time i been there in ages. It seems the store has taken a turn for the better. I purchased man on fire , hellboy, master and commander all for $22.23. Man on fire was six dollars master and commander was 5 and hellboy was 11. The most expensive movie i saw was 20 dollars. Granted they are used, but idont care. As for the no late fee's thing. the no late fee's is awsome, but they racked up the prices on the video games a good 2 dollars. I'm actually impressed with blockbuster for the first time. I shall start renting there again.

DCLXVI
My buddy told me about this a few days before it took effect in Canada....needless to say, I didn't believe him. stick out tongue

tabby999
dosn't really mean a whole bunch in aus, most of them have shut down here anyway, Video Ezys the big one here

FeceMan
Welcome to two months ago.

DCLXVI
stick out tongue

GCG
i stopped going to blockbuster cause they always had strict charges policies. i was told that they charge rental by 24 hrs. but i got to know that they programmed the machine so that it charges after midnight. ie; if i rent at 13.00 hrs and go give it back at 10.00 the next day i pay double the amount. f them !@

what was good about them is that one can log onto their site see whats available and reserve the dvd.

but yeah gotta agree that there are lazy persons around.

angelsflame265
Don't you have to buy the video if you keep after a certain amount of time?

Smasandian
Originally posted by FeceMan
Welcome to two months ago.

Your joking right?
Because these thread was made 3 months ago.

I never went to Blockbuster. I always went to Rogers Video.
Now I go to this local rental shop that gives 2 New Releases for 5 bucks on a tuesday. Granted I only got them for till 6 on the next day. But what i like is that I spend alot of money renting from there, that the guy rarely lets me pay for late fees.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Your joking right?
Because these thread was made 3 months ago.
Damn. So it was...

Who the hell bumped this thing and made me angry?

Adam_PoE
Video stores do not make money from late fees. In fact, late fees deter customers from renting. Video stores charge late fees as a way to recover lost revenue from not being able to rent past due items to other customers.

Imagine that Blockbuster has 100 copies of The Incredibles on DVD. Each day, 100 different people should be able to rent a copy of The Incredibles. But if you keep your copy a day late, only 99 people will be able to rent a copy of The Incredibles that day. Now, consider how many other people keep their copy out past due.

If items are not returned on time, other customers cannot rent them. This means that not only does Blockbuster lose money by not being able to rent these items to someone else, but it also means that Blockbuster loses money because the customer who wants the unavailable item will take his business elsewhere.

There has to be a penalty for not returning items on time, otherwise, why return them at all? Moreover, why should you get to keep an item out for an additional night that you did not pay for?

The Blockbuster "End of Late Fees" promotion is false advertising. The customer is told a return date but the actual return date is seven days later. If the item is not returned at that time, the customer is charged a "restocking fee"; A rose by any other name is still a rose, folks. If the item is not returned after 30 days, it is sold to the customer's credit card at retail price. Keep in mind, retail price is the cost Blockbuster has to pay to purchase that item from the distributor, not the price one would pay at Wal-Mart. The afforementioned copy of The Incredibles is about $75.00 to purchase from VPD.

botankus
I rent from Netflix. My brother, who also rents from Netflix, said one time he was waiting so long for Ray that he just broke down and drove to Blockbuster. Trouble was, because of this new "no late fees" thing, there weren't any copies of ANYTHING because everyone keeps them for 500 days, or whenever they find it underneath their couch, whichever comes first.

Reborn Again
ONE MAJOR PROBLEM: If they have only one copy of a movie or game, they lose out on money, and lose customers as well. MAJOR FLAW!!!

bilb
Well, Blockbuster is also getting sued over this in many states seeing as how after a certain time period they will charge you te FULL price of teh movie if you dont return it and then if you do return it after that point the charge you a 'restocking fee'.. Bait & switch baby....

Reborn Again
So.....................

I wonder how long this "No fees" compaign will last?

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by botankus
I rent from Netflix. My brother, who also rents from Netflix, said one time he was waiting so long for Ray that he just broke down and drove to Blockbuster. Trouble was, because of this new "no late fees" thing, there weren't any copies of ANYTHING because everyone keeps them for 500 days, or whenever they find it underneath their couch, whichever comes first.

ROTFLMAO! laughing that's a damn funny analogy laughing out loud

Mr Parker
Originally posted by speiderman
I really dislike Blockbuster. I think Hollywood Video is better.

same here.Blockbuster is over rated.Hollywood video usually has the titles I am looking for.blockbuster doesnt.

ms_erupt
Meh. I like Blockbuster better than Hollywood Video just because with their MVP membership you can't rent any new videos. And, being a part of this instant gratification society I want my movie when I want it. I don't want to wait a month for it to get that stupid sticker. But, Hollywood video DOES have a MUCH wider selection. And, Blockbuster does charge that restocking fee. I know because them assholes just sent me a letter about a couple of movies.

sk8stuff09
the only downside of this is....if u keep it TOO long u buy it! thats false advertising, and i heard somebody is sueing blockbuster because of the false advertising......netflix is way better...keep them as long as u want, i had 1 movie for like 4 months and they didnt care.....it only takes 1-2 days to arrive under most circumstances

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by bilb
Well, Blockbuster is also getting sued over this in many states seeing as how after a certain time period they will charge you te FULL price of teh movie if you dont return it and then if you do return it after that point the charge you a 'restocking fee'.. Bait & switch baby....

Actualy, they charge you a discounted price. You also have to have the movie out for nearly a month. My friend had wicker park out for about a month when blockbuster called him asking if he would like to purchase the movie for $15, or he could pay $10 for restocking. He bought the movie. I dont know if the prices go up the longer you have them out. However, if your keeping a single movie for a month, then you are either lazy or you just dont understand the concept of renting movies.

As for netflix, i guess it could be worth the money if you rent all new releases and send them back the day after viewing them. $20 a month doesnt sound that bad, if you are returning them the next day so you can get alteast 9 movies in a month. If it only takes one to two days for them to ship the movies out, why does it take 3-5 days for them to recive the movies?

bilb
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Actualy, they charge you a discounted price. You also have to have the movie out for nearly a month. My friend had wicker park out for about a month when blockbuster called him asking if he would like to purchase the movie for $15, or he could pay $10 for restocking. He bought the movie. I dont know if the prices go up the longer you have them out. However, if your keeping a single movie for a month, then you are either lazy or you just dont understand the concept of renting movies.

Thats not the point, The point is that they are advertising NO LATE FEES making it appear as if you never have to pay them. Then they slap you with these fines, THATS false advertsiing and illegal....

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by bilb
Thats not the point, The point is that they are advertising NO LATE FEES making it appear as if you never have to pay them. Then they slap you with these fines, THATS false advertsiing and illegal....

It isnt false advertising if it is explained to you. It was explained to me when i went to rent a movie after the new "no late fee" policy. Besides it really isnt technically false advertising even if it isnt explained to you. Your not being charged for not returning the movie after a certain date, but being charged because your not returning the film at all. You would have to be a complete moron to beleive that even after the title of no late fee's that you could keep a rental for as long as you want and have no consequences. Maybe you are just gullable, which is as bad.

bilb
It isnt false advertising if it is explained to you. It was explained to me when i went to rent a movie after the new "no late fee" policy. Besides it really isnt technically false advertising even if it isnt explained to you. Your not being charged for not returning the movie after a certain date, but being charged because your not returning the film at all. You would have to be a complete moron to beleive that even after the title of no late fee's that you could keep a rental for as long as you want and have no consequences. Maybe you are just gullable, which is as bad.

Besides it really isnt technically false advertising even if it isnt explained to you. Now how exactly DOES that work? There is a reason why disclosure is mandatory and this is a prime example.
And I am neither gullible nor a moron there Rage.. I simply expect for people to deliver what they say they are going to deliver...

ragesRemorse
Never meant to imply that you personally were a Moron. There not charging people for late fee's though, just for not returning the movie. I think being able to keep a movie for up to three weeks with no finacial consequence is enough to caption a title of no more late fee's. there has to be a line drawn somewhere with the freedom of no late fee's. You really dont think it isnt fair to not be offered a discounted price of the film or game that you have negleted to return in a several week period or atleast pay some sort of of low sum of cash for not being able to get in your car and take the film back?

Of course ther has to be some kind of fine for never returning the movie, or people would take advantage of the no late fee's. I really cant see where it is false advertising. Your not being charged for late fee''s.

Adam_PoE
You are given a 7 day grace period to return a past due item, after which you are charged a "restocking fee". If you keep the item out for 30 days, it is sold to your credit card at retail price. The can call it a "restocking fee" all they like but it is just another name for a "late fee".

Darth_Big_Boy
I totally dislike Blockbuster. I go to Hollywood on a daily ( via MVP ). I also got an invite recently for Netflix from a friend ( 1 month trial )...so I'm checking it out to see if I like it enough to pay ( to get harder to find movies my Hollywood locations don't have ).

PS...Cory...I'm back....down with the 'scum. Happy Dance

bilb
Never meant to imply that you personally were a Moron. There not charging people for late fee's though, just for not returning the movie. I think being able to keep a movie for up to three weeks with no finacial consequence is enough to caption a title of no more late fee's. there has to be a line drawn somewhere with the freedom of no late fee's. You really dont think it isnt fair to not be offered a discounted price of the film or game that you have negleted to return in a several week period or atleast pay some sort of of low sum of cash for not being able to get in your car and take the film back?

Of course ther has to be some kind of fine for never returning the movie, or people would take advantage of the no late fee's. I really cant see where it is false advertising. Your not being charged for late fee''s.

Thanks for NOT calling me a moron Rage.. cool
And yes, I do agree with you, after a certain period of time of course a fee should be imposed. My point is that THAT ISNT WHAT they advertise! And no, I have NEVER had this explained to me or even been given a pamphlet with teeny tiny fine print explaining it anytime i have rented from Blockbuster..

WindDancer
....And one year later....

Blockbuster will start charging late fees...again. Sneaky bastards.. HA!

Darth Zannah
This video shop in my town doesn't have late fees. But they're videos were really dirty and got stuck in our VCR recorder so we closed our account there. We went and joined another place that has late fees, and for everyday that you are late $7 is added to your fine. We once had to pay a $50 fine. Boy, was dad mad...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.