Will Darth Vader's Identity Be Known?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Milosz006
I thought of this when I was thinking about whether or not they would name Luke and Leia. If in Episode III Darth Vader is clearly Anakin reborn wouldn't it ruin the surprise of tESB? Lucas has said the movies are supposed to be seen 123456 (I personally think it should be seen 456123) but how could this be if we know Vader=Anakin? I can't think of any way the movie could explain Vader without giving Anakin away but do you think any attempt will be made to save the biggest surprise in movie history?

Jedi Priestess
No

PVS
sadly no. GL seems to be on a mission to kill each and every surprise and plot twist of the OT. i guess its his way of saying "f**k you" to all of us... roll eyes (sarcastic)

forgive him, for he knows not what he does

ESP07
Lucas said(I cant for the life of me remember were, but I know I heard it) that the movies were to be viewed 456123. Anakin = Vader is not supposed to be a supprise to viewers.

Echuu
One thing they could do for the next generation of star wars fans is not show palpatines minions saving anakin from dying. People would think that he dies and that may be a surprise for those who are watching the movies in order for the first time. They would say- Hey! i thought vader was just a major baddie; not lukes father! I thought he was dead!
But unfortuanately the I am your father line is so well known and someone would ruin the surprise for the person watching.
Oh- when they come out with big dvd set they could add a flashback scene in the ESB or RTJ of them saving anakin from dying; that would explain it for the next generation of fans.

jedi90
your right ESP07, GL did say it in an interview. i think it may be on the special addition VHS tapes of the OT, but i saw the interview where he discussed it. vader being luke's father was only meant to be a suprise for the release of ESB, not for the telling of the whole starwars saga.

i don't think so, he is giving the fans exactly what they asked for, to see how anakin became darth vader, its the whole thing that is driving the PT. some fans wanted answers to some of the mysteries in the OT, whether you like what he gave us or not you got an answer so far. i think the PT is great so far.

Red Superfly
Worst idea, ever.

.:Space Opera:.
"(I personally think it should be seen 456123) but how could this be if we know Vader=Anakin?"

the kids will be delivered in secret. i think that it wont ruin ESB because the plot was made so that luke didnt know, and to see how it tore him apart. at the time that ESB was released, it was a surprise to the audience, but when viewed in sequence it seems to be more of a character twist with luke rather than a surprise.

Echuu
gotcha- just a thought

Jedi Priestess
that doesnt make sense.........if you view them in the order filmed then Vader=Anakin=Luke's fahter is indeed a surprise. blink

Which is as it should be IMHO.

Ushgarak
As said many times before, the order to wtach them in is 4,5,6,1,2,3.

The Prequel films are not just GL saying "Oh, this should have been at the front first." They are TRUE prequels in that they add essential background and understanding to the story given in the Originals. They simply would not be as they are if the Originals were not there already. So it is pointless them keeping surprises for the Original when they are deliberately being made with people having watched the Originals in mind.

All of which would make perfect sense if GL had not then said that Hyperspace effects were not in the new films so as not to ruin the surprise of it in the Originals.

Weirdo.

Mist
anyone who watches the films in order 123456 will be slightly disappointed when they see the change from the 'digital' movies to 'real' movies in ep456. it should be watched in the order that was meant to be - 456123. you would benefit much more if you saw the originals first, then the prequels.

speaking of which, i havent watched the trilogy again properly since the dvds came out, i only watched ANH. i must lock myself in my room and crank up the subwoofer and watch the entire trilogy on dvd soon.

ESP07
I meant to put....."of the prequel trilogy" at the end of the last sentence. My bad.

ArthasKnight
Haha, good thing I decided to read the entire thred before posting. I had the EXACT SAME thought and was just about to post a repeat of you before I went back and read.

........well I thought it was funny..... Happy Dance Happy Dance

Darkart9602

Milosz006
That seems like a really good idea. We know Vader is made with parts from GG and this may be the reason. Why else would they recycle? They're EVIL!

Red Superfly
Bah, as Ush said, they are true prequels. They are designed to be watched 456123. Who cares if surprises are ruined.

I'm gonna be selfish here and say "screw the new fans". GL is giving us the backstory to characters where we ALREADY KNOW what happens to them. I've seen the OT first, the way it is designed to be. Screw anyone who watches them 123456 - they deserve everything they get.

evil face

CHOSEN1
This can't be done because if you have read the script you would know that at the part where palpatine says "rise lord vader" vader asks palpatine about padme, so you know that vader is anakin.

ab2421
Have faith that someone mentioned this to Lucas.. we'll see how it plays out on screen/.....

vader519
does this really matter, I still get chills down my spine just seeing that scene in ESB where vader revelas to Luke that he is his father.

Darth_Nefarus
Well as long characters in the movie other than Palpatine, Yoda, and Obi-Wan don't know, I don't mind if we do.

southtownbluz
First of all, the OT came out first, bar none that's it. There's no other reality to it. I don't care if you were born in 2000, OT came out first, and if all is all, you'll find that out some way or the other.

People think that everyone is gonna see this from TPM to ROTJ in the future and that's not the case.

We all know the ending. Let's be interested in the beginning.

I mean, how many of you guys knew that Darth Vader used to be a little kid living on Tatooine podracing? Did you know he was childishly infatuated with Padme Amidala, the mother of Luke and Leia? Did you know any of these things before or after watching the OT?? How many of you knew that the big "Darth Vader" was very close to his mother at all? I mean, that's like finding out Hitler had a childhood, man. It makes you think different of the end results. It makes evil not look so pure. It has to grow, like a virus sometimes.

That's what makes the prequels interesting. You don't have to like em, but take these things into consideration.

Much love dudes. outee!!

Jedi_Green
About all the surprise crap, we'll see in about 10 years when my 2year old cousin understands what is actually happening in the story. Prob be watching it 1-6

Jedi_Green
You know hitler was against war until he was old enough to join the 1st world war? Don't Beleive me try reading - Adolf Hitler : the difinitive biography.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.