Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
so how did u find this movie?
did u find it boring, confusing, breathtaking?
i could cope with the slow pace of the movie, it is one of the most visually stunning film i have ever seen...and the fact that it was made in the 60's is just amazing.....i still havent figured out the ending..im gonna watch it again later
doesnt Hal the AI give you the creeps?

if no one as saw this amazing movie then do so immediatly!

dean7879
no comments???
fair enough

viperthree
It is a classic dean and the fact that it was made in the 60's makes it really something. I do agree that it does get a little dull in the middle and you wonder 'what the hell' but the ending is great. HAL is the embodment of creepy.

thegreatrudini
the visuals r wicked but the film is boring as hell IMO

dean7879
i just about coped with the slow pace
im still puzzled at the special effects in the film

Imperial_Samura
Visually stunning and mentally stimulating, I quite liked it, but not just something someone could sit down and say "ah, a lazy Saterday afternoon, time for some light entertainment". And Hal was, for me, the best part. I felt so sorry for him.

WindDancer
Great score and relax film to watch. Arthur C. Clark was pleased with the work.

dean7879
im gonna read the book next

cgtuna21
I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time over 2 weeks ago and I have to say that the film is brilliant! I'm a huge fan of Kubrick and I finally got to see this movie and it was excellent. The score and the visual effects is quite amazing. Yes, Hal is the coolest and creepiest character in the movie. "I'm afriaid, Dave"

dean7879
the movie is confusing though...i gotta watch it again

dean7879
for those who was left baffled by the film..well here is a brilliant animation explaining the things that took place in the film
http://www.kubrick2001.com/

Ushgarak
I have no idea why they felt the need to dress up simple explanations like that in tiresomely long animation. I could have read it all in two minutes.

Err, it also goes completely wrong; its analysis does not match what Clarke said.

HAL does not go nuts out of some form of evolutionary superiority. There has been a mess-up with his programming when he was ordered to keep the true nature of the Jupiter mission secret. This is why the message saying that plays when he is de-activated, and the problem is discovered by HAL's creator when Discovery is boarded in 2010; once the error is corrected, HAL (who, incidentally, LIKED Humans, far from finding them boring, evolutionary comment though this was) is fine.

Nor does HAL make a mistake. He correctly predicts the failure, but only because he is going to do it.

It also doesn't seem to want to discuss the creation imagery on the entry to the monolith- shame. that's important.

Furthermore, it misses out the other important part of the film-

2001 was created during the Cold War, and the entire series reflects this. The doctor's meeting with the Russian scientist (played, interestingly enough, by Leonard Rossiter) reveals an important fact about this vision of the 'future'- that the Cold War continues. The Moon is not being explored by Man- but by the US and Russia, in competition.

The Moon Monolith, once reached, reports to the main Jupiter monolith- "Man has reached the moon." Unfortunately, it also reports "It looks like Man has failed." Becuase the technology granted by the monoliths has created a destructive and evil species, not a progressive one. Man is on a final warning, and in the rest of the series to 3001 this gets worse (sadly, one problem with 2010, especially the film version, is that the Cold War link is overplayed- Kubrick did everything so much better!

dean7879
i suppose the film sends out different messages to to different people
is the book better than the film

Ushgarak
The messages don't matter that much- that is actually what happens in the story!

They are certainly better than 2010, but 2001 was such a seminal film-making moment, a fantastic creation, albeit in a very dull way. The third book in the series is also notable for nothing happening, and all the books are hamstrug by Clarke's odd view of how human development will go (not technology, he was good at that, but socially and politically). You would think he might have learned by getting the Cold War wrong, but no...

Err, anyway, so, 2001 is best, really, and the clues as to why HAL failed and what the Monolith was doing are all there, just too obscure to really guess without the rest of it.

dean7879
cool..i think i'll check on ebay for the bookthumb up

smoker4
A classic of its time

RZA
Yeah, this movie was a definite classic. I watched it along time ago. There were many moments of silence throughout the film, I guess purposely for effect. HAL was the coolest thing about the whole movie. A little interesting tidbit about how the producers came up with the name HAL in case you didn't already know this, they were making fun of IBM which was very big at the time they made this movie. They chose a letter before each letter of IBM, get it H-A-L, I-B-M. True story.

Btw, like I said it's been a while since I saw this movie so i'm not really sure what HAL was. Was he a space age super computer? And how intelligent was he or in other words how good was his AI? Was he smarter than that computer from War games and could he also be programmed to play chess? Just wonderin confused

dean7879
yep he was a super computer who could play chess...it would be pretty hard to beat the computer at chess lol

RZA
LOL...Yes it would be. Are you joking about him being able to play chess? I really don't recall if he could or not or if there was a scene where he did that in the movie.

bilb
I know its so un PC, but I cannot stand this movie. Horribly boring. Maybe I'm just jaded because I grew up with SW & Alien & Close Encounters so the effects in this one did nothing to justify the monotyny IMHO.

Ushgarak
It's not that un-PC, plenty of people hate it.

The only un-PC thing to do is to not like people because they like it, which has been seen on these boards before.

Yes, HAL does play chess in 2001 (beating Frank Poole with little difficulty, though sounding apologetic about it); he is 'infallibly' intelligent- however, there is debate in the storyline as to whether he is alive or not (he is interviewed by the BBC, and the interviewer beforehand says that some people thinks he mimics rather than acts).

The Monolith thinks he is alive though

dean7879
im ...afraid dave
a computer thats afraid?!

Ushgarak
Could be mimiced, though. You can programme a computer to seem like it was afraid. Kubrick leaves it open.

RZA
Thanx for answering my question. Do you know if he was smarter than the computer from 'War Games'? And do you know what other programs or how many programs he was able to run?

dean7879
has anyone saw the sequel?
ive heard it is pretty good
is it worth seeing?

RZA
^^You're talking about 2010 right? When did that one actually come out?
And was it a theatrical release or str8 to DVD?

dean7879
not sure when it come out
in the 80's i think

PIZZA WARRIOR
Well, this was more of a look into the future than sci-fi.

Kubrick was always very deliberate, and very detailed, which exlained the slow pacing.

By the way, though he was wrong with some of the dates, he was pretty damn accurate about his vision of the future.

Can't wait to get to the moon, and Jupiter !!!

PIZZA WARRIOR
Wrong, it was made in 1968, which makes this film all the more remarkable.

By the way, this movie was a favorite of the astronauts, becuase Kubrick got it right about spaceflight.

PIZZA WARRIOR
OOPS, SORRY !!!

Didn't keep track here.

You're right 2010 came out in the 1980's.

PIZZA WARRIOR
Excellent, though not as deep as the original.

Did a good job of tying up the whole story.

dean7879
cool...i'll try and get my hands on it if i can

RZA
Hey Pizza guy..er..dude...er...Warrior, sorry couldn't remember name, Do you know if HAL was smarter than the computer from 'War Games'? And do you know what other programs or how many programs he was able to run? What was his primary function or programming, Space flight?

Ushgarak
Well, he got a lot of things right, but he wasn't universal; astronauts tend to be very picky in that regard.

2010 is... ok. Too much chat, too much narration, too much bad use of music, too happy an ending (different from the book) and ironically it dated faster than the original (because the Cold War vibe is overplayed). But well made, the sets have been re-created perfectly, and as a story in its own right it is not bad.

Of course, if you don't like the way Kubrick does films, being so much more mainstream you would probably prefer 2010.

dean7879
hello
big grin

RZA
^^Nice smilie

Btw, can someone please answer my question? sad

dean7879
HAL:
Capacity to understand natural languages: natural language processing.

Facility with logic: expert systems and logic programs.

Visual ability to understand what it is seeing: neural networks for image processing.

Ability to monitor and control the spaceship: robotics.

i have no idea about the computer from war games

OB1-adobe
I actually like 2010 better.

RZA
Thanx, good show lad thumb up

Ushgarak
He's way past the War Games comp, to be honest.

dean7879
whats this wargames ?

jaden101
war games...youve never seen it...mathew broderick is in it but its not a total loss because of it...

great film actually...up there with my childhood favourites such as "flight of the navigator" and "D.A.R.Y.L"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

OB1-adobe
you forgot 'The Explorers' too

PIZZA WARRIOR
Another thing about this movie is that it is a favorite of the astronauts, because it gives a realistic vision of space travel, and from their viewpoint, they should know.

Ushgarak
Sorry, that's already been mentioned, and as I said, actually astronauts are rather picky, and the mistakes in it have been pointed out.

More realisitc than most, obviously. All the more impressive, then, that it was made before the moon landings. But not ACTAULLY realistic in a literal sense, from things they knew were mistakes but put in so as to not confuse the public- like twinkling stars- to mistakes of limitations in how travel works- way over-roomy spacecraft- to the thing they got plain wrong, which Clarke himself was annoyed about- Bowman breathing in before decompression.

RZA
How so? pray tell

gentmax
If you couldn't understand the ending of the movie, and I didn't at first, read the book. It isn't a huge novel or anything like that, and it completely explains what is happening and the end, what the monoliths are, etc. I believe that it actually makes the movie better.

Ushgarak
Do remember that Kubrick had issues with the book though.

How so? Well, what could the WG coimputer do, at the end of the day? And the way ot was stopped shows a relatively primitive logic set-up.

dean7879
im ...afraid ush

el_barto
I thought the movie was ok, if it was faster paced I could probably enjoy it more.

Deano
http://www.rense.com/1.imagesG/bush_space_odyssey.jpg

roughrider
The movie was released a year before the moon landings, and the astronauts would comment that the experience of space travel was very much like what was shown in 2001. That's a high compliement for it's realism.
I generally consider this my favourite film, as I have watched it since I was a young teenager. And I am a big Star Wars fan, and also of LOTR, Blade Runner, Alien and the rest. No film has ever jumped so high in showing man's capacity for transcendence; intellectually and physically.

Watching it again recently, I have come up with new ideas. Despite what was explained in 2010 regarding Hal's programming conflict, the subtext of his eventual battle with Dave goes all the way back to the ape with the bone. The Monolith apears, and the seeds of intelligent growth come to one tribe. An ape sees a bone, and it becomes in his eyes something new - a weapon to hunt with. A tool. Jump forward thousands of years, and the most-cutting edge tool is a spacecraft with an A.I. computer, running things like any crew member. But then the conflict starts when the machine is fallable. Except, now the 'tool' is sentient (or is it mimickry?), and reasons that the lifeform would not have gotten anywhere in history without the tool. Who is more deserving of destiny, discovering their unseen benefactor somewhere around Jupiter? So Dave has to do the desperate move of re-boarding the ship without his space helmet, calling upon raw animal courage - something Hal does not have - coming all the way from his caveman ancestors, to defeat the machine.
Another idea - when the tribe of apes become more sentient, carrying clubs, and walking more upright, it is a stage for evolution. But then we see Dr. Floyd on the space station, refusing to give information to his Russian science colleagues; the idea of staying within your 'tribe' still exists.
And lastly - where does anyone think the circular section with the sleeping beds and eating area was? It was large enough to use as a running track; but could it have fit in the head bubble area? The cockpit and lower bay area seem to take up enough space that it couldn't be there; maybe the central section, under the antenna?
FX is as impressive as ever. Imaginitive use of in-camera tricks, mechanical rotating sets, and rear projection screens. All the Dawn Of Man sequence is under a studio roof - amazing.

Mindship
Over the decades, many have called 2001 The Best Science Fiction movie ever made, and one of The Best Movies ever made, period. Visually stunning, musically stirring and intellectually challenging, no other movie gives as realistic a sense as this one of First Contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence. The fact that it is not easily understandable, at first, only adds to the realism of its content.

Star Wars, Independence Day, Close Encounters, etc, etc are all a lotta fun, great films in their own right. But they are afternoon matinee snacks compared to the full course dinner that is 2001.

big gay kirk
Try to get hold of AC clarke's short, The Sentinel.... this was the starting point for 2001..... and remember, Clarke himself said that there is no reason for anyone to assume that 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 are at all related to each other.... the Frank Poole of one may simply share a name and a few experiences with the Frank Poole of another....

Mindship
Read it many years ago. Classic example of how a simple premise, well told, can ignite the sense of awe and wonderment.

roughrider
Originally posted by big gay kirk
Try to get hold of AC clarke's short, The Sentinel.... this was the starting point for 2001..... and remember, Clarke himself said that there is no reason for anyone to assume that 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 are at all related to each other.... the Frank Poole of one may simply share a name and a few experiences with the Frank Poole of another....

Have the story in a collection at home. It's a book of short stories that all went on to be made into feature films, like The Fly, Who Goes There?(Thing from Another World), The Fog Horn (Beast from 20,000 Fathoms) A Boy and his Dog, and several others.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by big gay kirk

Except that never really made any sense, did it? They are so obviously sequels in the same continuity; he was just glossing over differences in style and providing a get-out route for any continuity errors.

FG725
I just started reading the book and got to the lift off um does the movie have the whole ape man thing with absolutely no talkin?

roughrider
Originally posted by FG725
I just started reading the book and got to the lift off um does the movie have the whole ape man thing with absolutely no talkin?

Yes. The first spoken sentence is about 22 minutes in.

FG725
lol man thats well odd so no narrarator or anything is it just grunts?

Adamwankenobi

roughrider
Originally posted by FG725
lol man thats well odd so no narrarator or anything is it just grunts?

No narration at all, in the entire film. Kubrick paints visuals for us to interpret. I saw the film the first time when I was maybe 12, 13. I could understand what was happening with the apes, without dialogue. The Monolith appears to one tribe, they become more intelligent and also more savage - an irony Kubrick is fond of. Evolution is Darwinism; survival of the fittest. Exact parallel late in the film, with the battle between HAL and Dave Bowman.

roughrider
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Do remember that Kubrick had issues with the book though.

How so? Well, what could the WG coimputer do, at the end of the day? And the way ot was stopped shows a relatively primitive logic set-up.

It was a short story first. Clarke wrote the book the same time he was writing the script with Kubrick.

roughrider
Watched it again on my new Widescreen HDTV. Colours and detail are outstanding for a 38-year old film. Until we get more advanced space travel, this will never look dated, other than a few costumes.

superman41082
I was hoping to find a forum on this. I'm enjoying lots of your perspectives on it. I love this movie and I think it may be the greatest movie of all time!!!!

superman41082
Man........... this is the most subtle movie ever. I can't believe you guys are saying this is boring. Instead of Hollywood cliches, this movie is totally up for interpretation, and there is so much symoblism. The whole premise of the movie is out of control, too. This movie was completely ahead of it's time, and if it was made now, would still be decades ahead of it's time. What an unbelievable triumph. If the movie seemed hard to follow, you should watch it again. I think it's the greatest movie of all time!!!!

P.S. If anyone has any questions about what this or that meant, send me a private message and I'll be more than happy to take you through it. I know the film can be intimidating to comprehend.

98R1
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I actually like 2010 better.
me 2

superman41082
Originally posted by Deano

Deano, where did you find that picture(when I saw that I lauged so hard I almost hurt my throat).

Koenig
A classic film which has stood the test of time.

Deano
Originally posted by superman41082
Deano, where did you find that picture(when I saw that I lauged so hard I almost hurt my throat).

rense.com

Gornack
One of my fav all time films! I don't know how many times I've watched this film. I do admit though, I still get a bit confused when that giant unborn fetus appears, floating in space. erm

Gornack
Originally posted by Gornack
One of my fav all time films! I don't know how many times I've watched this film. I do admit though, I still get a bit confused when that giant unborn fetus appears, floating in space. erm

Of course! Man is but a child in outer space. We have no control of our tools. We must learn to walk again, etc.

GiZMo90
Just finished watching It. It was incredible.
I think it's my new favorite film.

Dr. Zaius
In the realm of science fiction, I think only Blade Runner comes close. 2001 is one of the best films ever, regardless of genre...period.

Mind-blowing, even now.

the1end
2001 is "the ultimate trip"

the best movie of all time.
just like that...

Solo
It's arguably the best film of all time, the run time flew by for me. The visuals are fantastic, even for our day in age. I've seen a lot of Kubrick films, this being my favorite. My favorite scene was the one done in technicolor, amazing!

Personally, I thought the ending's meaning was pretty obvious. But I could see how one would disagree.

TYZER
So what happend was, the monolith saved humanity. It saved humanity by practically forcing mankind to use it's best technology ie (hal3000) to go to the most challenging place yet. So they go to the place, and the monolith knows that the HAL3000 will turn on them "malfunction". By defeating the HAL3000 mankind has basically defeated human stupidity, thus meaning that it will become a new generation of super intelligence and will not endanger itself again. in conclusion, we will become a level 3 society and able to survive anything that is perceived as a possible threat. At the last ten minutes of the film, the man aged whilst time-travelling to get to his destination and all the characters you see are the same man getting older untill he dies in that bed. then, the monolith< >(alien species/technology) was able to rebirth him, so that he was young enough to time travel back to where he was before he first time travelled. Then he was his normal age again and able to travel back home. If you really think about it, there are a number of ways the man could have gone home. Overall it is a real eye opener of a film and if everyone wasn't so damn ignorant and really took heed of what it means, then we would have no need for such an incident as what happend in the film to happen. basically what I am trying to say is, THIS FILM IS A WARNING FOR US TO GET OUR ACT TOGETHER NOW! And stop; religions, war, greed etc etc. We can do it, but sad to say I don't think we humans will because there are to many idiotic humans in this universe. If you believe in the multiverse theory, then maybe I can cheer you up if you are still following me.......there is a guaranteed parallel universe out there where we are lucky enough to have realised the error of our ways. I personally think in this universe it is too late for us, we have come so far but still we have not grown out of stupidity. Now we are doomed. Happy Dance

roughrider
I just got back from seeing it in the theatre.
Doesn't matter that I've owned the DVD for several years (and the widescreen VHS before that.) This was a restored 35 mm print that has made the rounds of theatres up here for several years. I've never seen a good quality print in the theatres - before this, it was a 16 mm pan-and-scan projection at college, and an old, inferior print at an old theatre in 1994.
It's amazing to be with an audience so rapt with attention. So many scenes with perfect silence in space, and no one talks or moves. And I could feel myself getting wide during the stargate corridor sequence - I just gave myself over to it, as the theatre rumbled with the soundtrack!

Mindship
Originally posted by roughrider
And I could feel myself getting wide during the stargate corridor sequence - I just gave myself over to it, as the theatre rumbled with the soundtrack! An excellent description.
I wonder what might be done with today's 3D tech.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mindship
An excellent description.
I wonder what might be done with today's 3D tech.

That would be the next logical step for a re-release, wouldn't it...?

Remastering the film to be seen in Digital 3D.

roughrider
I was shopping for the TRON LEGACY Blu-ray combo pack yesterday, and saw a Blu-ray of 2001 on the shelf. While I have seen it in Blu-ray before, this was a special 'Steelbook' edition; nifty packaging I have seen previously for Iron Man and The Dark Knight, offered at Future Shop here in Canada. I snapped it up.
So now 2001 - one of the first DVDs I got ten years ago - becomes the first DVD in my collection I have replaced with Blu-ray.

http://www.joblo.com/digital/dvd_review.php?id=2992

Blinky
Originally posted by Deano

Hahaha good stuff. I guess that's one chimp the monolith didn't do anything for.

MildPossession
That 2001 steelbook has the exact same cover design as the UK slipcase release of the DVD a few years back. Nice design.

failbrownie
guys you gotta check out this parody of 2001 its a completely botche version its hilarious just put this link on youtube watch?v=9uKv4D5MSN4

BellaMario
I have watched this one, it's really horrible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.