Lifting Thor's Hammer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Maelstrom
bash
Who do you think can and/or should be able to lift his hammer?
We know the alien Beta Ray Bill can.
Or who would you like to be able to lift it.
I'd like to see Hulk overpower honor and claim the hammer.

Linkalicious
I picked Captain America, but I also think that the Silver Surfer could lift it.

I base this mostly on Wonder Woman being able to lift it in a crossover. My memory is a little vague, but I think they said something about only someone with a pure heart or some crap can lift it. I'd need to go home and re-read it to know for sure.

BobbyD
Maelstrom, someone else on this list immediately came to mind...Thor's DC counterpart.

Caps would lift it easily as Mojilnor allows itself to picked up by only the most noble. I suppose Surfer might...would be interesting to see.

I would really like to see Hulk have a fit when he couldn't initially lift it as I think he is not worthy (though I like him a lot). Would he eventually lift it on strength alone?

manjaro
hulk cant lift it. he has tried many times, even twice as strong as MAestro and he still couldnt do it.

ppl on this list who could do it"

cap

surfer

Mr. Fantastic

loki, why him? not only cuz he's a god but his misheivious nature is not his fault he was created that way, so he's not intrinsically evil.

i was considering Namor, but naah--the guy is a complete ass-hole, too arrogant, and ego centric, plus he tried to steal reed's girl. the hammer would totally take that into consideration(lol)

BobbyD
I need a hammer like Mojilnor to see which girls I should date.

Anyone know where I could find one?

Krissy Von Doom
I think you'd have to have a warrior's spirit but also be honorable hence Cap and Wonderwoman could lift it... using that logic, Wolverine should be able to lift it but it just seems wrong that he'd be able to. Gambit no. Surfer no.

GreatMuta
Why is Gambit even on that list. Just asking?

DarkCrawler
Yeah, it seems odd.

Wynndar
maybe NIghtcrawler could?

Linkalicious
Why don't you think the Silver Surfer could lift the hammer?

Of everyone on that list, I'd hesitate to say he is the most noble. He sacraficed himself to save his world, then stood up to Galactcus in order to save Earth, and he won't even kill someone. He puts himself right in the middle of harms way just to be able prevent needless death.

GreatMuta
Doesn't Odin's incantation read like: Only those worthy and pure in soul are able to lift Mjollnir. So i guess we can use what we know of a particular characters continuous deeds. That should answer the question.

http://www.shaftagents.com/thorshammer.jpg

SnakeEyes
I agree with Linkalicious

norrin radd
surfer, superman, wonderwoman, and captain america.

Maelstrom
Gambit cause he's a thief. Like if he could steal the hammer. Maybe charge it to the limit with kinetics and that would lift it.
Mr. Fantastic cause it'd be mean if he could possibly fig. out a physical way to lift the hammer.
Namor's a cool one cause he is a reigning prince. Nothing is out of bounds for him. I'd like to see him try to lift it underwater.
Pure of heart also means that your own love hasn't suffered. Surfer is plagued with suffering over his loss that no amount of honor can replace. A deed done for gains is not an honorable thing at all. I doubt he could lift it. But of the powerful he is most likely to shatter the bond that holds the hammer still.

Linkalicious
Gambit is a thief. Stealing is about the least noble thing a person can do.

Actually, of everyone on the list. I would say Gambit, Wolverine, Hulk, and Namor are the least likely to pick up the hammer.

Krissy Von Doom
As noble as Surfer and Superman are, they're not really warriors at heart unlike Thor and Wonderwoman

Wynndar
Ohhhh...I kinda agree...but i think some people will really argue with u about that one.

K3VIL
I add to the list Captain Marvel(SHAZAM), Magni(Thor's Son), Captain Mar-Vell(from Marvel Universe, father of Genis-Vell).

BobbyD
Supes and Surfer are warriors. Yes indeed, my friend, Krissy. And who is more noble than Supes? Heck, the hammer might move towards him to be picked up. Someone correct me if I'm wring, but didn't Mojilnor seek out Beta Ray Bill after it found itself out of Thor's possession, and closer to Beta Ray Bill?

If I remember correctly that thing is like a magnet...it wants to find its new goody-goody master.

Wynndar
well...i dont know how much it was in continuity...but Supes did already lift mjolnir

Krissy Von Doom
Of course I could be wrong, but I mean "warrior" in a crazy asgardian sense of actually living for battle, as those Norse gods love to fight... Supes and Surf fight only if they have to... Thor, Wondy, Cap are warriors at heart

I think Supes was able to use the hammer in the JLA/Avengers crossover though... I remember Thor threw it at him, whether Supes just used to momentum to smash something with it or if he actually wielded it, I don't remember.

K3VIL
Superman was able to lift Mjolnir only because in particular occasion it can be lifted by others, and yes also by who is sufficiently worthy can lift it.When they defeat Krona, Supes wasn't able to lift it, that means he's not worthy.

MatchesMalone
I think Surfer is the most noble. I completely agree with Linkalicious's assessment on who is and who is not worthy enough.

norrin radd

norrin radd

goku-vs-superma
i would want gambit to lift it out of those mentioned. like Maelstrom stated i think it would be good idea to charge it with kinetic enegy, but for a different reason. i think it would be tight to charge it then throw it at an enemy where it would normally explode at contact, but because it consists of uru metal it would bust'em up with kinetic energy and then return to his hand. now that is THE shit!!

but even better what if dr.strangefate lifted the hammer....... more mystical powers yet!!!

Bardock42
BATMAN
I think he is a warrior and he actually is a better person than Superman and Wonder Woman together. Ok I admit iot I am a Batman fanboy but still.

Maelstrom
I think being pure of heart has something to do with birth.
Birth is not a random thing where we are just born as anyone.
Thor's birth was something special.
Finding others with that same gift in a different way is probably what the hammer requires.
I'm surprised that Thor doesn't spend more of his time meeting people, so that he can encounter those with the ability.
Some births in Marvel that come to mind are The Molecule Man. His life was intrinsic onto itself.
Jean Grey. She had a birth connection to the Phoenix.
I know we could extrapolate on these birth things forever so we have to use common sense and place birth before experience.
Hercules would be another interesting attempt.
The condition seems to place birth before exp. but experience can deny the person the ability to lift it.
Longshot also would be a good go.

BobbyD
Krissy, I follow what you mean. In your definition of "warriors", and the others that have followed, yes I agree. Supes and Surfer are more or less champions of goodness vs those who like a good tussle for the fun of it.

baddspellahl4
yeah, the hulk has lifted it wheras collosus or juggernaut couldn't. beta ray thor has his own version of mjoliner

radioboy121
Batman has too many... Issues. He definitely wouldn't be worthy.

who?-kid
Only those worthy and pure in soul are able to lift Mjollnir.

Some names that cross my mind :

- Silver Surfer
- Captain America
- Spider-Man
- Longshot (why not ? He's innocence incarnated)
- Who?-kid
- maybe Dagger, maybe Storm

Notice I mostly take their courage and "heart" into consideration, but they are of course all warriors in their own way.

Krissy Von Doom
But you have to take into consideration that Odin put those requirements on Mjolnir so it's whomever that's "worthy" in the Asgardian sense.

who?-kid
Pff, who knows what those crazy Asgardians consider as "Worthy" (though skull breaking abilities would probably do it smile ).

K3VIL
It's not worthy in Asgardian sense, but in the sense of word worthy.
Jake Olson lift Mjolnir in the reign saga, cause he was worthy, he has understand that the only way to stop Thor is to defeat him, and he attack him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.