"Shaun of the Dead" DVD Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
This is a test run of a new feature I'd like to start up for the DVD forum. Your feedback is encouraged and appreciated.

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2004/12/20/feat/cal020-dvd-1204n.jpg

Title: "Shaun of the Dead" ($19.99)

Chances are, if you're reading this DVD review, you've seen the film. To buy or not to buy, that is the question, and this is where you'll find your answers.

Picture: Universal's initial offering of "Shaun" on DVD boasts an anamorphic widescreen transfer, at 2:35:1. The picture is nice and crisp, accentuating the gore and entrails BEAUTIFULLY! It's devoid of the "filter" you may be familiar with in BBC broadcasts both in the U.K. and the U.S.

Sound: With an atypical Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track, and various language tracks, "Shaun" is nothing special. What makes the difference however is the 2, count 'em, TWO commentary tracks featuring Shaun himself, Simon Pegg, as well as various cast members spread over the two commentaries. Brilliant! It just needs the zombies input, like its Region 2 brethren.

Features: The interface is lackluster, using anime, instead of what I would have preferred as interactive movie footage. Movie start, chapter selection, and extra options are all there is to look at, with a Winchester themed backdrop.

Extras: While it may not rival that of the Region 2 release, Universal packs a wallop with plenty of zombie-licious fun for U.S. audiences. In addition to the 2 commentaries, there are deleted and extended scenes, a Simon hosted video diary, interesting make up and special effects testings, a photo and poster gallery, a T4 spoof interview with Coldplay, in addition to a 10 MINUTE long gag reel that will literally leave you as soiled as Ed himself, and much, much more.

OVERALL: "Shaun of the Dead", the movie, gets a 9/10, with its DVD presentation a 9/10, and extras a 8.5/10. 9.0 overall rating, and of course, I think it's certainly worth a $20 spot.

dean7879
nice one thumb up

<<Solo>>
Awesome review, will be getting this soon, have a feeling I got it for Christmas.

MildPossession
I thought you couldn't stand the movie Cine?

dean7879
he's grown to like it after a couple more viewings

MildPossession
Yeah I know lol, just read another topic on the movie.

Mane
I have mixed feelings; I loved the humor, but for the last 30 minutes or so it was all serious...kinda ruined it for me. I'll probably buy it someday...

Xtremechik2
I want this movie!

Mane
I'll most likely buy it at my birthday in May.

Darth_Big_Boy
It's no secret I'm a huge fan of "Shaun". Just have to agree whole heartedly with Cory's review.

Cinemaddiction
Tommy, you should review the R2 "Shaun" sometime. yes

Deano
no one as wrote a review in ages
i thought u would of wrote loads cory

Darth_Big_Boy
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Tommy, you should review the R2 "Shaun" sometime. yes

I shall do that once I can play R2 DVDs again. My DVD player decided to stop playing for some F'd up reason??? sad mad

Deano
its 4 in the F**KING mornin!
sort ya f**king life out mate!

tabby999
i'm still waiting for my copy in the mail, zilvers still hasn't held up his end of the swap for undead

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.