Episode 3 is going to suck

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shockimebones
I've tried to keep myself relatively distanced from the news telling us about Episode 3, but I've still read a few articles and news things here and there, on this messageboard as well as on the news pages on theforce.net, and you know what I think?
Most of the "cool" things I keep hearing about, which are going to be in this movie, are all action-scenes, lightsaber duels, amazing space battles and so on, which are all great and all, and partly what made the original classic trilogy so good, but at the same time, I feel like this movie is going to be total eye-candy.
It reminds me of the time before the two Matrix sequels came out, the producer Joel Silver kept saying in interviews how they were doing things with special effects that had never been done before, and how there were going to be incredible action scenes and so on and so forth, and the fans (including myself) just completely ate it up, and in the end it turned out that yes, the Matrix sequels had pretty damn impressive action scenes, but ultimately they were complete crap - poor script, acting that was average at best, no real emotional or moving scenes, etc etc.
The final Matrix film in particular was just one 2-hour long action scene.
I have a feeling that Episode 3 will be the same. I've heard there will be eleven planets in the film?!? And I don't remember how many lightsaber duels I've heard about, but I know it's a lot. Certain insiders have said how more than one of these duels will be longer and more in-depth that the duels in TPM or AOTC.
Add to this, many issues and lose ends that the film needs to address, such as the whole thing about why certain Jedis disappear and others don't (which Lucas said will be revealed in some way or another), the forming of the Empire, Anakin's final change into Darth Vader, the birth of the twins and their subsequent adoption by the Lars couple and Bail Organa, the ending of the Clone Wars, Yoda and Obi-Wan going into hiding...the list goes on and on.
Therefore, the only way this film will work is if we go into Lord-of-the-Rings-Extended-Edition style. i.e. a 4 or 5 hour long movie, which in itself would be extremely difficult to watch in one sitting.
This film is a hugely daunting task. If Lucas and his team could hardly pull off 2 properly, which in terms of content, was a breeze compared to this, then why should we expect them to succeed in making Episode 3 work? It's going to have awesome action scenes, I have no doubt of that, and I'd even go as far to say that when I see it at the cinema I'll probably really enjoy all the lightsaber duels and space battles and so on. But that kind of eye-candy is only fun the first two or three times you see it. If Episode 3 is going to work, Lucas has to address the aforementioned issues and plots in a moving/touching/dramatic manner, like Kirshner did perfectly in TESB.
I just can't see him doing this.

Sorry for the length of this post, and sorry for being so negative. I just think realistically this film will fail.

Jim

eXSBass
**Tumble weed**

Red Superfly
Don't worry mate, I kinda feel the same way.

It seems like TOO MUCH for a Star Wars movie. I don't know how long the "taling" scenes are going to be, but I hope there is SOME development.

I won't say Episode 3 is gonna suck, although I won't say it's gonna rock either.

Xam
it will be really long
but still star wars is star wars

mossman
Right, I'm off to the Harry Potter forum to tell Harry Potter fans that the next HP film's going to be crap.

Or I might just save my energy - I can't decide...

Echuu
Who cares- even if it does fail star wars will always remain arguably the best sci-fi ever. People will always love star wars regardless of a little bit a negativity here and there.
But. I personally think that the third movie will be very good.

Stunrun
plz close

i dont see that we should reply to someones personal opinions, so atleast change the name of the thread

Mist
4 - 5 hours extended? i dont think so. the most he could squeeze in would be about 2 1/2 hours. just cause they say theres going to be 11 planets in the film, doesnt mean they need to spend 20mins on each one. you underestimate the power of George Lucas. that....is why you fail.

Sith Master X
We've got nothing to fear from. I've put enough trust in GL and I know Episode 3 will deliver. Just give it a chance. You won't know until you've seen the movie.

Xam
true SMX!TRUE

shockimebones
I would have thought it's fairly obvious that by posting my opinion on a messageboard I was wondering what your own opinions are, and was welcoming others to reply with their views. That's how it's worked on other msgboards I've been to.
If that's not good enough, fair enough, the title should add "what are your views?" I dont know how to change it though, so maybe a moderator will have to do it.

Anyway, someone give me one good reason why they think this movie will be anything more than just action and special effects, when George Lucas has shown us with the previous two films that that is the only thing he is actually good at making anymore: just plain and simple eyecandy.
When he tries to write romance it comes out as pure cheese, when he tries to write inspiring Jedi quotes they come out as pretentious drivel, and when he tries to write moving emotional moments like we were used to in the Classic Trilogy they're just plain BORING.

Stunrun
im glad i dont see the PT the way youd doyes but we all have opinions at the end of the day cool

shockimebones
Well i'll admit, I'm actually quite fond of TPM. Once I got past the annoyance of Anakin's lines ("Are you an angel?" particularly irritated me) and many poor script points (the part where Anakin is figuring out the right buttons in the naboo starfighter at random is just silly), I did eventually see it as a fairly decent movie. It's dull in places, but its fun and I loved Qui-Gon's character.
Episode 2 though is the film that particularly annoys me. I can only think of one or two parts of it I actually liked, and I've seen it several times. One was the scene with Anakin and Obi-Wan talking outside Padme's room while she's asleep - I enjoyed some of the comments they were making as fellow Jedi friends. The other scene I liked I can't even remember. The rest of the film was terrible. Good action yes (Yoda's lightsaber duel was great) but these films need more than that now, at least for me.
If you can enjoy SW films just purely on the basis of their cool battles and duels then that's fine, and you're very lucky, because you'll probably be very impressed with Episode 3.
But I personally can't help but wish they had more substance, like the Classical Trilogy did.

Mr Parker
I hated the first two so I have to agree with you.The first two just dont have the magic that the predessors do and since the first two sucked so bad,there is no reason to believe this one wont suck as well.

Mist
how about anakins struggle with the darkside? the destruction of the jedi? uprising of the galactic empire? enslavery of the galaxy? death of padme?

none of these rely on heavy effects to portray the feelings involved.

the teaser was supposed to get all the casual moviegoers ready for ep3, because a lot of ep2 viewers would have found it disappointing. if they see ep3 as having more action scenes, they want to see it. marketing my friend, just marketing for the average moviegoer. the real 'meat' of the characters and emotions will be shown during the film.

just wait and have faith that george lucas will render us all speechless.

Mist
by the way, i disagree about your sig mr parker. spiderman is one of the best, well done comic to movie adaptations ever made.

Mempho76
Especially Sp2

amity75
At the end of the day its gona be a typical star wars movie. It will have moments that will blow EVERYONE away and will have moments that will have fans bitching for years to come. And thats the beauty of star wars. Very few movies can create so much passion in people. Like the majority I'm going to see it with an open mind, if it sucks it sucks, I'll still go and see it at least three times and watch it endlessly on DVD for years to come. I'm a fool I know but again, thats star wars for you.

Mist
yes, we true fans really need to get out more...

.:Space Opera:.
you know, its very possible to tie in character twists and emotional struggles into an action sequence. i feel like the obi ani duel will render that of the luke/vader duel in ESB, very heart wrenching. the story of this film will be very dark, and at the same time very dramatic. thats one of the things that draws us to this final chapter, and thats why it seems like the mojaority of the SW lover's fav. movie out of all three is ESB because it ended damaticaly. the story in general is an uplifting one (PT) but this ending chapter ends with death and sorrow, which will be unlike any of the other SW films and will attract eveyone including non-SW fans. action- one of my most favorite things in a movie, will inter-twine with drama and emotion- things that make a movie emotonal, and that is what will make it reign in the film/SW industry. every fight will have a sense of emotion involved, seeing ani tear up his master will be totally scary and awesome and will def. remind us of things that happened in the PT. seeing ani kill mace windu will make us belive that there is much power involved in him and almost root for evil. these sub character plots are what interest the SW fans, and to see it fall into despair will have us emotional at the end of the movie. this movie will rock our little SW fan minds and we will charish this ending film forever.

bilbofett
Yeah I agree that GL has at times sacrificed character development for action scenes but that doesnt mean it sucks. I personally LOVE the new saber battle techniques, looks so much better. And I cant wait for this new space battle, although I think I'm gonna have to see it 50 times just to figure out who is who.... But gimme a break, we come here to talk about SW because we LOVE SW & then you're surprised when folks dont play nice? Its like saying your kid is ugly right to your face, some things are just rude. The whole saga has its problems but you know what? Thats why we are all still here...Had it all been wrapped up nicely with no lingering questions the interest would have died out years ago... So no matter what I still love SW and still expect to be blown away by ROTS.

Jedi Priestess
errrrrrrrrrrr NO

5knuckleShuffle
people have there own oppinions but personaly i think we shouldnt judge a movie till we see it.

shockimebones
When did I imply that I was "surprised" by people's reactions to my post? I fully expected people here to have an overly optimistic view towards Episode 3 and thus disagree with my opinions, not that I made the post as a way of inciting arguments or anything. I'm happy for you people that you're so excited for this film, but sometimes you have to be realistic, and realistically Lucas won't be able to pull this off successfully. Not only because of the reasons I already mentioned, but because this is the final Star Wars movie, or at least is to be presumed to be. Therefore the media will be hyping it up to a huge degree, making articles asking the question as to how will Lucas end the saga, how will he fuse the prequel trilogy with the classic trilogy, will he make up for the poor mistakes he made on the previous prequels, and so on. Everyone will be asking these questions, waiting for this final installment of one of the most successful and popular series of all time, and you really think that under all this pressure George Lucas, a 60-year-old man who cannot write a decent script even with the aid of a 2nd writer, will make this film work?

shockimebones
What an insightful reply you've given. I don't know what to say, you've just totally out-witted me glare

izz316
how episode 3 going to suck. it can't because its got a best story of any star wars movies. In this movie Lucas will show his full potential which he held back in 2 other films. Josh said that the acting was lot better.
They is no way it going to suck. Only reason the two other matrix were
not that good because it wasn't a good story which episode 3 will have.
close this thread he doesn't know what he's talking about.

PVS
doesnt someone have a chip on their shoulder.
hey, i have a GREAT idea! check this out:

why dont we all wait till we actually SEE episode3 before we critique it!!! eek!

cornponious
<insert "insightful reply" here>

cornponious

izz316
I know episode 3 will be the best star wars movie because all the pics,
all spoilers, all the reviews by josh , all infro from Nick, all the webdocs,
all the set pics and even supershadow said it will be the best and the moment we be waiting for the birth of Darth vader. I have complete faith
in Lucas.

cornponious
You had to go and bring Supershadow into it, didn't you?

wink

corn

eXSBass
ROTFLMFAO! SUPERSHADOW! laughing laughing eek! eek!

Morridini
I say wait for May before u say that ROTS sucks or rocks.

bilbofett
Wow, SS said this would be the best? Hey NOW its official!!!

XX Emperor XX
Episode 3 will be the best hands down and I don't know why some people knock episode 1 and 2? ok episode I was a little weak but still good, but episode 2 was incredible it brought all the elements together on what is to come in episode 3, the transformation of Anakin and the destruction of the Republic making episode 3 by far the best!

Don't knock the movie until you see it

Phoenix2001
To the guy who made this thread, I understand where he's coming from. But don't let all the little details of the story spoil the movie for ya when you see it. Okay so there is going to be some things a little out of proportion, but if you really want to like it, do three things...

1. Sit Down
2. Shut Up
3. Enjoy the Movie

Sadako of Girth
Shockimebones, Fair play that you note that GL might not be able to write a decent script but he wrote ANH,-granted a long time ago,- and that worked in part because of the plot/characters. He improved things bringing in Kasdan for TESB and ROTJ and they were cool enough weren't they...? True, the greatest of all script writers he might not be, but he could bring out the depth of character development despite this.

Besides which, I remember him saying that he saw the saga as firstly visual, then the sound/music THEN the words..... That seems to have been good enough for most fans (Maybe with the possible exception of TPM) maybe the advancement in quality from TPM to AOTC will follow through to ROTS..?

I agree that most of your concerns are valid, but we aren't waiting for a screen interpretation of Henry the 8th here, are we...? As long as the questions/scenarios set up in Eps 1&2 are rounded off, the wraparound to Ep4 executed well and finally it maintain energy and tension throughout, then won't it still rock....?

Don't torture yourself tooooo much over it.
It means the world to us too and for sure, this thread is a valid one, but accept that other posters may have a point and feel appeased by that from time to time... We aren't actually having a go or anything by posting an opposing view y'know...! smile
Well, for what it's worth I hope that on May 19th the movie meets your better expectations anyway... and that you do find it enjoyable..
Peace smile

Mr Parker
spiderman is one of the best, well done comic to movie adaptations ever made.

actually man-spider "which is what it SHOULD have been called",is about the worst comic to movie adaptations ever made. mad roll eyes (sarcastic)

as all true fans know,that movie totally betrayed and butchered his character to death. mad mad mad roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
erm...am i in the right forum?

)-(&C]{£R
ROTS is gonna be great! what is wrong with you shockimebones!!!

smoker4
This thread ranks alongside Oriental lady looking for love! lame! weak! miffed

bilbofett
dunno PVS, are we still talking about LOTR?

izz316
well said

bILLYgOAT
If your mind is already made up
don't go & see it.

I am however, confused as to why you have spent so much time & effort in typing out reams of text to slate a film you haven't seen based on a bad experience from watching the Matrix.
for gods sake
get a life.

Jackie Malfoy
Keep thinking that it will and it might.You call yourself a star wars fan?Never put down star wars!JM

PVS
star wars sucks

Phoenix2001
That's what I can't stand about some people. They call themselves true fans of starwars, but yet when one little detail isn't the way they want it, they start hating the person who created it, as if they knew the story just as well as GL.

ccoo
Episode III will be the best of the prequels. Episode I & 2 were just a setup for everything to happen in Episode 3: Mace Windu Death, Darth Sidious revealed, Fate of Padme? Obi-Wan & Anakin fight. Yoda & Emperor fight. And of course the Birth of Darth Vader! Almost every aspect of this movie I wondered about since Return of the Jedi, that is why it's gonna be great! If you walk into Episode 3 with expectations that it will be the best of the prequels, and may be slightly inferior to Empire Strikes Back or New Hope, I think you won't be disappointed.

Dropkick
It's all entertaining. I'd rather do this than go to work... that's for sure!

Mr Parker
If your talking about Return of the jedi and the new star wars films you would be correct.The sad truth is there has not been a good Star Wars film made since Empire Strikes Back.

Phoenix2001
You're also the guy who doesn't like the Spider-Man films aswell... why don't you just leave this forum and never come back... you're only making an ass out of yourself...

i understand him, im scared that it MIGHT suck....but it probly wont. you guys just love the attention of bashing people dont you? he wasnt stating that the movie sucks without seeing it, he was merely saying that he thinks that it will suck based on his notions about the last films. besides, he is entitled to his opinion. i love to watch the little newbies here agree with EVERYTHING the 'elders' say. it shows how many posers i am surrounded by. this is a forum, and i am let down by some of you and very disappointed in the way you guys bash the hell out of this kid. well guess what? I bash the flamers. before you tell him to get a life, why dont you pull your head out of the preistess' ass, whipe the brown off your noses, develope some of your own opinions and get a life yourself. like you said after he stated that it might suck, we cant judge the movie before we see it, so why do we keep saying that it'll be good? truth is we dont know. pff, hippocrits...

...its like living with a bunch of six year olds

Phoenix2001
Well... it can always work both ways...

??

PVS
actually, i was just being a smartass. i actually like pretty much everything about it.... with the exception of jar jar, podracing, and that unholy SE jabba's palace musical number.

neo313
I have faith in George Lucas. I think this movie will be the best beacuse episode 1 and 2 were just setting the stage for RotS, and it is the one that GL really wanted to make (even though I liked 1 and 2)

I also liked both of the Matrix sequels :P

bILLYgOAT
whined your neck in.
I don't need attention, praise or conformation from the "elders" or anyone else online to feel secure. (perhaps you do)
As for the crude JP ass theory, that doesn't deserve a comment.
perhaps she'll report you, i only find it amusing

Shockmebones/Space Opera,
I'll refer to you both since I think your the same person tbh.
If there was a film coming out that I thought would suck, i wouldn't waste my money on it and I certainly wouldn't stalk forums of said film to spend hours posting worries over its potential quality.
hence,
get a life
so if you don't like what i said,....... too bad, report me & reach for your handbag.

merry Christmas
get a life
I'm off out to the bar. smokin'

eXSBass
If Return of the Jedi sucked and all the others sucked then just go. You have no reason being here. You neglected SOB.

JKozzy
No it won't.

bilbofett
Space that was just a pissy thing to say. I have always enjoyed your posts & found you to be amusing, not anymore. There are alot of us here who do love JP and with good reason, too bad you may never have the privelege.

Phoenix2001
OMG, some of you need anger management. You take this stuff too seriously.

Jedi Priestess
Space this was my ONLY comment in this thread and that was no flame in any way shape or form. And for the record he didnt say Episode 3 might suck, the thread clearly reads Episode 3 is going to suck. Much like you do IMHO.

You comment however was rude and uncalled for.
And it was reported, Merry Christmas.

Jedi Priestess
Insightful reply coming up.

I think that many people put too many expectations into these movies. They are movies OK? They wont cure cancer, they wont bring about world peace, and you're life wont end tomorrow if you dont like the movie. The most that will happen is you'll be out 7-10 bucks, and be left with a feeling of either euphoria or bitterness. And thats the way it is, thats life. Period.

No one promises to make a Star Wars movie that every single fan will love. Hell, I know people that hate the OT. For that matter I know people that think people who WATCH Star Wars movies are freaks and geeks. SO what. If that's how you get your enjoyment so be it.

If you love ROTS yipeeee for you. If you cant stand the movie, thats ok too. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. My opinion was errr NO <as in: no it isnt going to suck IMO.> Didnt feel the need to write a book but apparently that wasnt simple enough for some folks. So I drew you a map. Hope this helps. smile

vader519
well put JP. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Darth_Nihilis
my biggest worry is that their seems to be alot to do in 1 movie. the jedi purge(or at least the start of it), anakins turn, mace death(which will take a while im sure), yoda and obi taking the twins away, padmes death or in hiding, Papy revealed as Sidy, General G(y they introduce someone new and build him up so much only to have him die is unknown to me (then again their was maul), Dooku needs to die. etc etc etc......

that seems like alot of stuff for 1 movie.
maybe even y some jedi can appear as ghost
who taught papy
who deleted the cloning world (for the fans that wouldnt believe it was dooku
etc etc etc

oh and i forgot.....The Anakin / Obi fight (which i bet u wouldnt be short)
and the normal Anakin / Padme talking and stuff.
and that huge space battle.

jedijunky1138
Stop! I'm already having a hard time with the fact that I have to wait a few more months. Now your throwing everything at me at once.......... stick out tongue

PVS
http://img79.exs.cx/img79/3924/SPOCK_STFU.jpg

NoMeN
LOL!!!

peluffo
ah... PVS coming to prove how right Space opera was.

Who are you to say anybody to shut up? Can I see your credencials?

I think that you were compelled to intervene because you find this text very accurate:

You're just a n00b trying to keep safe beside JP legs.

PVS
sleep

can you go through a single day without bashing on JP, especially in a thread where she simply disagreed with the poster? or is that your hobby?

god how sad...

NoMeN
STOP THIS FFS!

Jedi Priestess
Thank you for your input Peluffo, reported for posterity. yes

peluffo
Hey nice try, but I was talking about YOU!

And, JP, raz has many important things to do than take care about your reports against me just because you hold a grudge against me. You really need to get over it.

Ushgarak
Sigh... going nowhere. Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.