Wow...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deathblow
Ok I've just finished listening to the album In Absentia by Porcupine Tree, and it totally floored me. It's way beyond anything else they've done, but more importantly, it's way beyond anything else I've heard over the last year. They maybe old news to some of you, but I've literally only just listened to this album, so allow me to ramble on.

It kind of follows in the same vein as Dredg with it's experimental, progressive style. However, this blows Dredg's masterpiece (El Cielo) out of the water completely. It's very mellow, but it's utterly beautiful to listen to. The vocal harmonising is stunning, and they have an excellent guitar system set up, where the lead powers through providing the hooks and crescendos, but is perfectly balanced out with acoustic sections. The songs often drift between soothing, spooky and occasionally semi-hypnotic. The song arrangements are pretty complex, but always remain interesting, nay, gripping. This is the best thing of it's kind since a certain megasuperdupergroup released Thirteenth Step. In fact, with time, I think I may even grow to like this more. Just download the first track, it will grab your attention, I gurantee it.

Anyone who has never heard this album before seriously needs to give it a try, words can't describe how highly I recommend this, especially if your into the likes of APC, Shun, Dredg, Mars Volta and Tool. For god's sake, the band members of none other than the almighty OPETH love this album, that should be enough to convince anyone to buy this immediately.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia --- get it!

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

Tptmanno1
Bumpage!
yea, we need more chat about these guys!

Alpha Centauri
It's a really good album, from a really good band.

In Absentia isn't my favourite album by them. Staircase Infinities is probably mine, or Up the Downstair.

But it's really good.

Wouldn't go so far as to say it blows Dredg out of the water and I don't see why there's Tool comparisons, and I wouldn't ever call APC a mega super duper anything.

Besides the point though.

Yep, really good album.

-AC

Tptmanno1
Uhh, that one song, dammit....
arrg, one song off of IA sounds like a Tool song,
(Im gonna have to go listen to it now! ARRG!)

Oh and I was This close *hodls fingers really close together* too seeing them live! But no-one I knew wanted to go (bastards) and my mom didn't like the idea of me going by myself.

cad
they sound cool.

Alpha Centauri
They don't sound like Tool, why the comparisons?

-AC

Deathblow
I didn't compare them to Tool, I recommended them to fans of Tool. Is that ok?

Tp, I saw them live couple of months ago, they were musically flawless, in fact better than on CD on occasions, but the performance was a little underwhelming.

Tptmanno1
Still woulda liked to go...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.