music you find overrated

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
what bands do you find overrated? and remember, overrated dosn't nessesaraly mean that a bands bad, it may mean that you think they are given too much appreciation.
my list:

tool
deftones
franz ferdinand

MornGlory
OMG you are going to get killed for saying TOOL is overrated!!

I dont really like them either.. o well...

my list:
EMINEM (his newer stuff)
Frans Ferdinand
The Darkness (sorry, they are getting OLD & they think they will be bigger than Oasis in the UK - no, I am just not having it)
Hilary Duff
Lindsey Loham
Ashlee Simpson
50 cent
Blink 182

thats it for now

tabby999
pffft, what are they going to do for me calling tool over rated? cry? like i said, it dosn't mean i think their bad, but they get too much credit. their not freaking gods, but they are good

MornGlory
well people on this forum think they are gods and worship them...

btw I was being saracastic...about the whole "you are going to get killed for..."

tabby999
i'm sure if you could die from some kind of "hate via email" i'd die, but i've got Norton Antivirus on my side!

MornGlory
I didnt mean you literally DIE!

ninja

tabby999
i do realise that, you see my sarcasm is as subtle as anybodys

amity75
Pink Floyd are overrated. In fact they're probably the most boring, overrated band of all time.

eggmayo
True, Pink Floyd songs drag on for years, Tool are overrated, anything pop or rap or r&b is overrated. (Mainly because its a fetid pile of poopie)

amity75
Dude, thank you - You're the only person on this forum who has ever agreed with me about pink floyd. You're the man.

eggmayo
Shine on you crazy diamond was literally more than 10 minutes long.
A large part of that 10 minutes was complete silence.
I like Pink Floyd, I just do not think there anything like one of the greatest 'rock' groups ever.

loserib
Korn are very overrated

Cinemaddiction
Pop isn't overrated, as it isn't praised or have critical acclaim to begin with. Don't confuse popularity with actual, factual, verifiable endorsements from people in the music industry that actually matter.

Blink 182 have a lot of female middle school fans. To them, they are golden. to the rest of the world, they are a collective of 30 year old making montonous kids music.

To be overrated is to be simplistic and unoriginal, but garnering undue respect and praise, mainly from people that are just fans. Being overrated by fans isn't something that I'd take seriously. Notice those bands never recieve awards of any substance, either.

Music's a very subjective thing, in regards to being overrated.

A good example of a genuinely overrated band is Six Feet Under. They get all this acclaim for being original, having legions of fans, what have you, when their music is as basic as the next death metal band, and their lyrics are horribly inaudible because it sounds like they have an adult version of Cookie Monster "singing" their songs.

Nobody can ever call Led Zeppelin overrated because their impact on the music industry is undeniable, and still reverberates through bands to this very day. Six Feet Under are a dime a dozen. Zep's influence can't be ignored, and thus can't really ever be considered "overrated".

Napalm
All pop
all techno
Nirvana
Red hot chilie Peppers
Pearl Jam

eggmayo
Who said Zeppelin are overrated?

I shall kill them!

Df02
Beatles..... sorry ppl but opinions are opinions
and the whole mainstream rap scene - wont say hip hop scene cos it doesnt deserve that title

furryman
nirvana for one

I <3 Kurt girls

SlipknoT
Tool
Blink 182
Eminem
Korn
The Beatles
Deaftones

Cinemaddiction
What's the basis for claiming that the Beatles are overrated?

Df02
musically i think they were, the band members are always listed high in the top 100's of their instruments when i dont think they deserve it... they were very influencial but that doesnt have much bearing for me on musical ability. much like Nirvana, another band that i think are ludicrously overrated.

was more a thing of right idea right time for both those bands, rather than for musical excellence...altho granted the beatles were in another musical league to Nirvana.

WindDancer
Eminem
Tool
50 Cent
RATM
Avril
Gwen Stefani
Pink
System of a Down
Justin Timberlake
Elton John

Edit Note: how could I forget Fred Durst roll eyes (sarcastic)

Wolf Dog
Moe:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your saying Rage Against The Machine is overrated!
They are not even that big. There only big among people who like them.
Overrated means that they get too much attention by everyone.

hh?
ratm overrated? impossible. but its an opinion.

i say

50 cent
the rest of g-unit
eminem
tupac
biggie
Jay-Z
Lil' Wayne
Lil' Jon
all the people with the name "lil something"

eggmayo
Remember lil rappa?

SlipknoT
laughing out loud I was at the grocery store today and I saw a carton of milk called "Lil" Milk.

<<Solo>>
Tool
RATM
APC
Linkin Park
Eminem
G-Unit

MornGlory
O i think PInk FLoyd is not that great either- I thought I was the only one on this planet that didnt like them

MornGlory
What about Flavor Flav!!!!

he cracks me up

http://imprint.uwaterloo.ca/issues/101896/display/image05.jpg

Darth Revan
What is it with people saying Tool and RATM are overrated? I know I'm probably going to get a lot of shit for this, since I seem like a fanatical Tool and RATM fan, but I feel like I have to step in here... Like Wolf Dog said, an artist is overrated when most people know them, and they have a large following of devoted fans... Tool, RATM, SOAD, and the like have a very devoted following, but if you asked the average person off the street if they had heard of these bands, most would say no (at least to Tool and SOAD). If you asked them if they could name one of their songs, even more likely they would say no. Now, if you asked that same person if they could name a Jay-Z or 50-cent song, chances are they would say yes, or could at least remember what one sounded like. The reason being that they are everywhere. Tool, RATM, and SOAD get far less media attention than the other two I mentioned.

Now, whether they are overrated among their fans is another matter--but I am fairly sure that a fanatical Eminem fan might view him in the same light as a fanatical Tool fan views the members of that band. And I want to make something clear... I am not as obsessed with Tool and RATM as I seem like I am on this forum. Most of what I say about them is meant in a half-joking way. I love their music, but I don't actually worship either band. wink I'm not saying this because I'm a Tool groupie or something, I just think it's unfair to categorize them as overrated when 70% of the population couldn't name one of their songs.

Anywho...

Nirvana
Jay-Z
Eminem
Tupac
Biggie
Twista

Elektra_lover
Yeah Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mane
Weezer

MornGlory
really ?? weezer?

hh?
burn it shock

Silver Stardust
Jesus Christ, you people think we're serious with the whole Maynardism and "worshipping Tool" thing? ****ing hell, it's a JOKE!!!

Tool can hardly be called overrated, as with RATM, because as DR said, they really aren't that huge! RATM, at least, a lot of people have heard of, but Tool, in reality is pretty obscure. Yes, there ARE a lot of Tool fans, and yes, those fans (as you all know now) are quite devoted, but ask the average person off the street about Tool and they likely won't know what you're talking about. Take this for example: I love Tool and RATM, they being my two favorite groups (though like DR, I am not half as obsessed with them in real life as I come of as on here), and still half of my friends couldn't name a song by one or both groups. Definitely NOT overrated.

*ahem*

Eminem
Jay-Z
Metallica (yes, I love them, but still...def. overrated)
...hell, practically anything mainstream pop/hiphop, and a lot of mainstream rock, as well.

tabby999
just because people of the street dont know who tool are dosn't mean that they cant be overrated. you say a word about them in a negative light and you get treated like a leper. they are good. but they didn't just come out and blow the world away. i like them, but they arn't as amazing as people seem to think

loserib
thats a trip i dont know anyone who does not know who tool ratm and soad are come on i mean they play system on mtv and the radio they cant be that obscure rage broke up the year that they were up for some type of mtv award and had videos played and still get radio play today
and everybody knows who tool are there shows sell out around here in like 10 minutes

Deathblow
RATM and SOAD are huge, but it's untrue that everyone knows who Tool are. Sure they're huge in some circles, but I know tons of people who wouldn't know Tool if they bit em in the ass, especially in the area I live now.

And for the record, Deftones are grossly underrated.

Anyway, overrated bands..

Beatles
Iron Maiden
AC DC
Queen
Rolling Stones
Megadeth
Def Leppard
U2
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Green Day (I like them alot, but punk rock gods they aint)
Jet
Slipknot
Linkin Park
Yellowcard
Limp Bizkit
Marilyn Manson
Eminem
Muse
Blink 182
Jimmy Eat World
Beastie Boys
Weezer

tabby999
i agree with most of what you said, dissagre with a few names on the list and (as we know we have quite conflicting opinions on this) think that Deftones are horribly overrated. they're like what England is to cricket. they invented it, but they suck at it

Deathblow
What exactly did Deftones invent? confused

I really love Deftones, and the reason I think they're underrated is because regardless of whether you like them or not, they are all quality musicians. They are completely unafraid to try new things or experiment, and they have changed their sound dramatically for each album. These are all things that very view modern rock bands do, and it's unfair to deny them that. Basically, they're not a cookie cutter band.

And from a fan's point of view, they are totally consistent, their albums are devoid of filler, and they are the only band who have never written a song that I dislike. I applaud their courage and originality, and that they've made themselves impossible to label. It's just a bonus that I love their music.

eggmayo
Actually, In Kerrang, every time they review an album, somewhere in the review they manage to fit in the words 'like Tool' or 'this album launches into its most Tool-like period at 0.30.'

Seriously, go in your newsagent and check.

Filth
All pop and rap music is overrated

Deathblow
No offense, but Kerrang is for ****heads.

Anyway, what have you proved? That the writers of Kerrang magazine compare albums to Tool. Doesn't mean the readers will know them, and it certainly doesn't mean that the millions of people around the world who don't read Kerrang know them.

*Danii*
I totally agree, it gets blown up out of proportion, when really its nothing special.

eggmayo
My point being that a major magazine regularily publishes things about Tool?
That meaning that at least some of the readers will download Tool mp3's, like I did, and be disappointed, like I was. My point is, these magazines hype Tool to breaking point, where in reality, there not great.

No offense, but Kerrang is for ****heads. Thats cool, I read Total Guitar anyway, just using it for an example.

Jackie Malfoy
Lets see that would have to be rb I hate that stuff and acoues rap.and some punk.Like simple plan.And that is it.JM

Deathblow
Yep, at least some of. Say about a quarter of their readers. Is that everyone? No.

Missing phrase there : ''In my opinion they're not great.''
In my opinion, they are great. In my opinion, half the people who don't think they're great is because they don't understand them. And seeing as Kerrang TV & radio are obsessed with playing ****head bands such as Slipknot and Yellowcard, it doesn't suprise me that they don't get the genius that is Tool.

Not all bands who get hyped up by the media are bad, they wouldn't be hyped up at all if they were.

Df02
think what he's trying to say is, the people who do know of tool, blow their music way out of proportion as if its somehow godly.
and tbh i agree with him, Tool are hugely talented and stunning musically, but theyre thought much too highly of even by their standards

hh?
roll eyes (sarcastic)

im not gonna keep repeating myself.

eggmayo
OK, mainstream rap is overrated. By that, I mean Eminem, D12, and all the other crap that isnt really rap. Rhymes that a 12 year old could understand.

Old school hip-hop and gangster rap, IMO, is entirely underrated.

Tptmanno1
*turns on Broken HH record*
"Rap is not a genre, hip-hop is. Mainstream hip-hop blows, listen to underground, Rap is not a genre, hip-hop is. Mainstream hip-hop blows, listen to underground,Rap is not a genre, hip-hop is. Mainstream hip-hop blows, listen to underground,Rap is not a genre, hip-hop is. Mainstream hip-hop blows, listen to underground"

DF&gt;Tool really doesn't have standards, their really modest if you read about it, They never really talk highly of themselves, other people do, and other people make comparisons, Tool would really hate that because their whole point is to "not be a sheep" and do your own thing.

Darth Revan
He does have a point. A lot of Tool fans do blow them out of proportion...

Kurt Loder: Tool fans are pretty intense. Some of them already appear to think of you as a legendary character.

Maynard James Keenan: That's kind of weird. How'd that happen? I don't even know how to process that statement. I can't be a legend yet. I'm not dead.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/a/a_perfect_circl...feature_040122/

hh?
thanks TPT thumb up i was getting really tired of saying same shit over and over.

Df02
exactly, i never mentioned that they thought they were legends. but their fans do, and its ridiculous... theyre good, but theyre nowhere near as good as the godly status their fans seem to have placed them at

Jerico
Anything "urban"

Wolf Dog
Has anyone accused Radiohead of being overrated?
Cuz if they did!!!( fist shaking )

hh?
Wolf Dog, have u heard the Last Emperor album yet? i still haven't. is it good?

Wolf Dog
Whitch artist?

alic88
ELVIS IS OVER-RATED.. bash me all u want but its true
pink floyd.. OVER-RATED
Eminem..OVER-RATED
Maynard-

alic88
ELVIS IS OVER-RATED.. bash me all u want but its my opinion
pink floyd.. OVER-RATED
Eminem..OVER-RATED
Maynard-OVER-RATED

moonwalker741
hip-hop is over-rated, its too commercial.....

Red Superfly
I find Razorlight over-rated.

They bore the living daylights out of me, and the music annoys me after listening to it more than once.

Filth
True

eggmayo
Metallica. They **were** a great band, but after the Black Album and Master of Puppets, they started going downhill major-league.
Hopefully, Saint Anger is the worst they'll ever get and they come back onto form.

Filth
Agreed, tho i thought the soung st anger was quite good the rest was shit tho

eggmayo
I just havent really liked Metallica recently.

Filth
Nor me there new stuff is shit black album was great big grin

SlipknoT
exactly, I couldnt have said it better

hh?
artist: Last Emperor
album: i think its called Music, Magic, Myth

Ronny
either bands are over ratted or underrated, nobody ever rated themto their equality erm it just depends on the person

Silver Stardust
Agreed. I LOVE Master of Puppets (my fave Metallica album), but lately...erm I hope they'll get back to that level.

Red Superfly
Yeah but are Metallica over-rated though?

Pretty much anyone who's anyone said St.Anger was tosh. That's not really being over-rated, because not many people liked it, and the reception was just.

Metallica were given credit for the good stuff they did, and people want to see them return to that form. I don't think anyone would say they are over-rated, because nobody really rates them at all these days.

imo I think Metallica aren't under rated or over-rated. I think whatever attention they have recieved has been just. Black album turned heads, St Anger turned heads the other way. Fair cop I say.

That's why I said Razorlight. They are STILL being put on a pedestal and get hyped up even though I think they're a band that sound "different" rather than "good". I hate it when bands are different for the sake of it - what's the point when being different = shit?

They need to look at the likes of Stone Roses to see how a band can be fresh and brilliant.

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

tabby999
DeathBlow, sorry for not being properly specific way back towards the beginning when talking about Defones inventing, what i ment was their involvement with the forming of NuMetal (with Korn). and your right, they are consistent. consistently shit wink wasn't that a cheap shot!

Df02
ohhh dear, how could i forget Franz Ferdinand

Napalm
I forgot to add the beatles

Wolf Dog
Man i just noticed that alot of people hate franz ferdinand. I hate hate. HATERS.

hh?
smokin'

Df02
i hate hate shit overrated indie bands when u have all the decent stuff going unrecognised and unappreciated

Reckoning
I hope you realise the absurdity of your own statement. Logically calculating, you hate yourself. Moron.

Deathblow
I don't really class them as a nu metal band. They're too smart.

Well anyway, whatever floats your boat homes, i'm not gonna try and force my opinions on you. I've given my argument, and if thats the best you can come up with, nothing more needs to be said.

Darth Revan
How the **** can anyone class the Beatles as overrated? Whether or not you like the music is another issue entirely, but after the enormous amount of influence they had on modern music, it's not at all fair to say they are overrated.

Df02
theres a distinct difference between music and influence tho, to me anyway

tabby999
indeed, but the beatles lyrics were pretty amazing, and the music was miles ahead of its times. even the way the public reacted needs to be taken into account. think about it, these days, do a family get in the car and go to the airport to see the black eyed peas get off the plane? no. christina agulira? no. the beatles? hell yes, there were chicks nearly mincing themselves through the barriers to get to them

Bierbommetje
Well, in theory people could consider there music shit, and therefore see the influence as making other bands sound shittier, hence thinking there influence is shit... But then again that still doesnt deny that they're influence was of a huge magnitude... But they might think that saying they had a GOOD influence on mosly all of the bands of the 60's onwards is giving them a little to much credit.

Not saying that the above is my opinion... Haha... right...

tabby999
one of the guys at school thought that Ben Harper (dunno if you know who he is, hes a surfer) is more influential than the Beatles

*SpunkiE*
Green Day's American Idiot...

tabby999
what the song or the album?

Afro Cheese
I hate the term overrated. Everything seems to be either overrated or underrated.. I think The Beatles are overrated because they are held up to a level that nobody could live up to, not even the beatles. But that sort of seems to take something away from their music, doesn't it? It seems like some of the most overrated bands out there are also some of the best bands out there, and only got so hyped and followed by being as good as they are. It almost seems impossible to become a very popular band without becoming overrated, which is why I try not to use that term too much.

JimMorrison227
Wow, I have never been more disappointed in a post EVER.

tabby999
i dont think that only the good bands are overrated. you read music magaziners like rollingstone and they'll have Good Charlotte and Simple Plan as the next big punk thing, giving them all this credit while the bands themselves arn't anything even mildly special. there are tons of bands that deserve the attention.

Afro Cheese
I know a lot of shitty bands are overrated too.. but I'm saying that pretty much any popular band can be classified as overrated.. so the term is basically useless.

Red Superfly
Busted are over-rated. I'm so sick of music noobs classing them as rock or punk. They are pop-garbage.

Same goes for Maroon 5 and McFly.

Wolf Dog
lol. "music noobs".

Wolf Dog
LIFE NOOB

smittenkitten
John Mayer - what utter drivel. He's such a douchebag.

David Gray - what's the appeal? I don't see it.

-Smitten Kitten-

Red Superfly
Well it's true. Who listens to these "bands"? People who haven't heard anything better i.e they are newbies to the whole music thing in general. Little pre-teen/giddy schoolgirls and kids who don't know any better and just latch onto anything that has a pretty face and is popular.

Music noobs.

tabby999
nice call, and it is true. i used to listen to whatever was on the radio, then hip hop through my friend, then when we moved, metal and punk through another friend, leading to me like what i like now

gwiinlgleirn
not true man, I completely agree. Floyd is wayyy overrated

mouth
the beatles.. overrated??? you guys are so wrong

Hilary Duff / Lindsey Lohan -basically the same person with diffrent hair
Ashlee Simpson - trys way too hard (to be punk or alternative or wutever the hell she's trying to be) she's still a malibu barbie.
50 cent - DORK. hate the hip-hop scene (fake).. write something new other then 'i got shot 9 times and survived' that's cool, but not after the 3254582957th time..so many rappers that look the smae, sound the same...you can't tell them apart..
eminem.. no comment
oh and BEYONCE, ashanti , ciara, etc.. write something that matters in life, not about 'shakin my a.ss, money, diamonds..' just for once

*Danii*
laughing out loud

tabby999
dosn't lindsay have bigger ****?

Red Superfly
Lol have to agree on the Beyonce thing.

Can't that girl sing about something REAL for a change. And whats with shakin the ass all the time! I mean like, if she's got some strange ass disease then I guess that's OK, but shouldn't the girl be takin some medication for that?

Missy Elliot annoys me. Fat rubbish rapper with awful annoying tunes and all she does is sit on her diamond sofa while her Butler who is a Platinum plated C3PO calculates how many more millions she has "earned" in the last five minutes. And she eats orphans.

tabby999
and shes a comunist.

and that things about the girls singing about shaking their "booty" is true, but leave J-Lo out, shes had the forsite to release songs like "Jenny From the Block" to show all the dumb ass bitches who buy her cd (who need to be drop kicked through a wall and then kneed in the neck) that shes still gheto and "real" wink

Reckoning
Beyonce sang about girls not having dignity by dressing appallingly. She forgets to look in the mirror.

tabby999
if i were her i'd spend all my time looking in the mirror, irrelevant of what i was wearing wink

big gay kirk
Overrated bands... where do I start... well, the Beatles (no better than most sixties bands, just had a greater following, mainly down to hype...) Manic Street Preachers... (nothing special when you really look at them...) Stereophonics (Oh look, I can put on a fake mid-atlantic accent when singing, and a fake welsh one that keeps slipping when I'm talking, aren't we great...) Oasis... Blur..... White Stripes... The Streets.... Nirvana.... the list of bands that people say they like because they're supposed to like them is huge.... is it any wonder Nick Drake killed himself... real talent tends to be ignored while the money makers latch onto what will sell, and make people feel inadequate for not liking what they're told is great....

Quiero Mota
Metal.

Meta
Mobile. They're Canadian, and in Canada they are being hyped (espeically by certain music channels (Much) that my brother watches)as the next big thing, but they are just rip-off dance pop and they aren't even original

Alpha Centauri
Dance/Trance whatever you wish to call it.

Those DJs who never release anything of their own, but continue to rehash old "songs" again and again, then release compilation after compilation.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by tabby999
what bands do you find overrated? and remember, overrated dosn't nessesaraly mean that a bands bad, it may mean that you think they are given too much appreciation.
my list:

tool
deftones
franz ferdinand

I do not believe Tool are overrated AT ALL. They are just simply awesome. Same for Deftones.

Franz Ferdinand is overrated, so is this random Fall Out Boy band..bastards.

Pretty much all of the pop today on TV...i mean WTF is with McFly bullshit?

Alpha Centauri
The fact that the latter are viewed as credible enough to even BE rated is overrating them.

-AC

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Refused
Moe:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your saying Rage Against The Machine is overrated!
They are not even that big. There only big among people who like them.
Overrated means that they get too much attention by everyone.

Very true, RATM never really had 'hype-based' fans. And they were exellent and original in their music.
Infact, RATM never really got the credits they deserved, so calling them overrated is not quite realistic.

Morgoths_Wrath
Mike Patton's music

Pandemoniac
For me, I just can't see what all the fuss about Coldplay is about.
The first album was interesting, but everything since seems just uninspired and boring copies of the early songs.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Mike Patton's music

Hahaha. The man is literally so underrated in terms of the people that do get mentioned and those who don't.

He's got a cult following if anything.

-AC

musicislife
Green Day
Green Day
Green Day
Green Day

musicislife
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
What about Flavor Flav!!!!

he cracks me up

http://imprint.uwaterloo.ca/issues/101896/display/image05.jpg
Flavor Flav!!!!

Dayscribe
Most rap is overrated, but this is coming from a metalhead purist.

Lord_Iniquitous
All Modern Bands, from about '92 on. With the excpetion of a couple here and there... Evanescence, Crossfade, Lincoln Park(minus the rapping), Savage Garden, and I'm sure a couple more in there somewhere

Alpha Centauri
Ironic post of the year there.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Lord_Iniquitous
All Modern Bands, from about '92 on. With the excpetion of a couple here and there... Evanescence, Crossfade, Lincoln Park(minus the rapping), Savage Garden, and I'm sure a couple more in there somewhere

What music before 1992 do you like?

Lord_Iniquitous
Originally posted by Bardock42
What music before 1992 do you like?

Motley Crue, Dokken, The Guess Who, Journey, Queen, KISS(pre-reunion), Stryper, Twisted Sister, Dio, Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc.... I think you get the picture cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.