what about?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DuronKiller
what about suicide correlated with the different religions? whats with christian belief here?
would that person go to heaven or die forever....? confused

Imperial_Samura
Not sure if I am right, but in main stream Christian beliefs I think it is considered a mortal sin, "murder" or self as it were... and Dante, who wrote the Divine Comedy seemed to think so, as he made reference, while in Hell, to a certain level were those that had committed suicide went. Likewise there are many legends about what happens to the soul of a suicide victim... becoming ghosts or vampires and so forth...

That said, personally I think if God exists he would be a bit more understanding, and look beyond the fact a person committed suicide, as it doesn't make them evil, or deserving of eternal punishment....

Fiery Eyes
Yes, I do believe killing yourself is wrong and you would go to Hell. I think thats the easy way out, instead of trying to deal w/things.

Imperial_Samura
One must also define suicide in religious terms.... is say, jumping in front of a speeding truck in order to push an old lady out of the way suicide and dying in the process? Or the people in older times who would jump from a cliff to avoid the torture and rape from enemy soldiers? Or ending ones life when the only other option is a long, painful, death from a disease?

And I don't think it is always taking the easy way out...

big gay kirk
As long as a death is brave, the trip to Valhalla is certain.... that is the only consideration....

Imperial_Samura
Ah, true, noble sacrifice, death in glorious combat, the way of a hero...

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

Imperial_Samura
Very nice. Merry Christmas.

Jackie Malfoy
My friend is christen and she told me that if someone commited suicide but forgave herself or himself before then she would go to heaven but if not and this person did not believe in god they would burn in hell.JM

Imperial_Samura
Ah, so if they asked for forgiveness, and then committed suicide, the act would not cancel out "God's Grace"... thats interesting, although I have never heard of that version.

DuronKiller
thats the protestantic point of view!? i think in the catholics belief suicide is not forgiven...

Thanks for all the answers so far.... wink

The Inkeeper
Life is the most sacred of Gods gifts. To take sombody elses is a grave sin, an equally bad sin, is taking your own.

Jackie Malfoy
You are welcome!JM

frodo34x
Suicide and Voluntary Euthanasia are two different things.

finti
suicide is the looses way out

Imperial_Samura
"Suicide and Voluntary Euthanasia are two different things"

Perhaps, but how is it that they can be defined differently? Both involve a person choosing to end their life.... how is it they differ?

Cinemaddiction
The Bible never said anything about all those that commit suicide being damned. Ever. It's left open to interpretation, because of the fear of the unknown. We're all judged individually, so, it will differ.

Fiery Eyes
Very good examples there!!! smile I was just speaking of someone slitting their wrist, taking pills and so forth. To me, that is taking the easy way out instead of dealing w/your problems.

Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
My friend is christen and she told me that if someone committed suicide but forgave herself or himself before then she would go to heaven but if not and this person did not believe in god they would burn in hell.JM

Hmm, I've never ever heard of that, where did you friend get that from? Biblically speaking of course: God must Forgive you before you can enter into heaven, he must be the one you ask for forgiveness from. From what you are saying, that I could do wrong and ask myself to forgive myself, and IF I did, then I could go to heaven. hmmm Why would I not forgive myself? Why would I want to send myself to hell?

DirectorFitz
Original posted by The Innkeeper

You're right and you're wrong in that statement. Right: Murder is a sin. Wrong: It is not a mortal sin.

Telling a lie is just as bad a sin in God's eyes as murder is. Why do you think people on death row are visited mostly by Preachers preaching the gospel?

Silver Stardust
No, not really...voluntary euthanasia is considered assisted suicide. There are different forms of euthansia, though. I could go into all of them but it's not really the topic of this thread.

As far as I know, the Catholic viewpoint is that if you commit suicide you go to hell. But of course, since when do I hold anything in the Catholic church's teachings?

frodo34x
Suicide is wrong (in the eyes of the church) because what could be so bad that God won't bring you to better times? Ina way, Suicide is when you lack in the faith that God will make it all OK.

DuronKiller
you got a point... wink

Cinemaddiction
"It was great to be Catholic and go to confession. You could start over every week." - C (A Bronx Tale)

42Bardock
**** I am, shit I just ndo that before I do

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.