Jackson: The man who spoiled Christmas?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Naredhel
This is just a thought, based on my experiences.

We all grow out of Christmas at some point. We lose interest in the experience, present giving and receiving. But only when the new tricks are let out the bag. For me (now 17 years old), this happened Christmas 2002, when P.J released TTT. I simply lost interest in the big occassion, because now I had something else to look forward to, something that excited me more than Christmas*. Is this just me? Or has P.J spoiled Christmasses from now-on, by taking away one of our (if not THE) favourite December events?

* I am Christian, but unfortunately in the UK, there isn't such a large group of religious people and we don't have Thanksgiving - Christmas is now almost a completely commercial festival, which I condone. I respect Christmas for what it should be, not what it is now.

The Inkeeper
what other events are there in December? Theres only really Christmas and New Year.

But i wouldnt say he spoiled xmas, if he got you excited at the prospect of getting the dvd, then didnt he rekindle an apparently lost feeling of yours?

Smodden
Your a genius...
I've had the same thoughts before.

But Christmas was never about Wizards and Hobbits and special fx and LOTR. Yes I admit, it made the last 3 decembers so much more exciting. But it was a SEPARATE event. And It doesn't make the birth of Jesus Christ any less exciting.

Naredhel
No, my point was that it spoils the commercial side of Christmas (the only side most Brittish care about).

comicman
well now you can focus on christmas again

Naredhel
but that's the thing, you can't, because when something better comes along, you don't want to downsize... does it not make sense?

Smodden
uh..NOt really? huh

Naredhel
In the UK, we seem to have two Christmasses running at the same time - a religious one, and commercial one for the "heathens." The commercial one has plenty more emphasis on it IMO, but it's this that has been spoiled by PJ, not the religious one. The commercial one is more pronounced, because more people (sadly) seem to care about it than the other.

A.D. Skinner
Not sure why you are all blaming PJ for the release of the LOTR series around Christmas time... It was New Line Cinema that had the deadline for him to meet...

Anyway, I think that those of you who can be persuaded by the release of LOTR to forget the true meaning of Christmas should sit and contimplate what it is that Christmas is truly about, and maybe...just maybe you will see that Christmas is more than just a movie or two...

But hey...those are just my thoughts.

Suzuka
Christmas didn't "lose it's meaning" for me, it just made it better. I'm a Christian too, so I agree that we sometimes forget, but I think it's reall ok that it came out in Dec. We should remember what happened at "Christmas" every day

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

Hypernova
ROTK EE was a present given Christmas Eve. We watched it as soon as we opened it. I am hoping this is the last year I spend on LoTR eek!

The Inkeeper
Leave my island alone!
How dare you call me and my people heathens? eh? eh? I got an A in my RE test, six marks away from an A*

So nyah! let god war on you with an outstreched arm, let him rain down upon thee with his fury and his vengence!

Heathens indeed, bloody anti brittish britains. The rest of the world dislikes us, dont you start!

Jackie Malfoy
I would not go as far as saying that it spoiled christmas.I mean beside the gifts and family there is a biger reason to celebrate christmas which is the christens believe that god was born that day.
So without being religon christmas will seem boring to you when it should not.JM

The Inkeeper
well, they dont really believe Jesus was born that day, its jusst a day picked during some older winter festival messed

Sily thing really, wonder when jesus was actually born.

Naredhel
Apparently he was born in April or something... they worked it out from the stars. It's actualyl a pagan festival to do with lights, darkness and scaring evil or something. And Inkeeper, you have to admit there are plenty of people out there who don't give a $h1t about the Christian side of Christmas!

The Inkeeper
its not that they dont give a shit, its more the fact they were brough up with the commercial side, so that is the side they bring their kids up with, and the side they celebrate.
Parents bring children up as they were brough up, because for some reason every human seems to think they are almost perfect messed

Nazgul lord
christmass isnt or shouldnt be about commerciality any way i agree with darth/ inkeeper/ whatever the hell he is now i looked forward to the releases too but i wouldnt say that they wrecked christmass

drunk_nazgul
Hey, maybe that's why I didn't have Christmas spirit this year... disgust

Leggy_n_Merry
Hmmmm I don't think it wrecked Christmas....I'm starting to not be as excited anyway coz I'm getting older. This year I wanted to be really excited but I wasn't sad It was just ike an extra thing before xmas and then you had xmas so it was a bonus to me big grin

MC John 117
Basically everywhere, Christmas has lost all but a little bit of it's religious ties. It's now just a big national and corporate scam to get people to buy stuff. wink
I'm not complaining, however.

aniron
PJ didn't ruin christmas he made it better, something to look forward to afterward so the spirit didn't die so soon, so instead of spoiling he gave us a bonus, just because LOTR films were brought out around that time (not PJ's decision but New line's and box office) didn't make it anything to do with crimbo, perhaps fans of other films that were brought out at that time should feel the same about them too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.