The Single Greatest Horror Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wolfie
First, yes I am aware that there is another thread about this. I was looking through the "Greatest Horror" thread and thought we should have a poll to decide the single best horror film. I took the most popular people were saying to put on the list.

hh?
very difficult to say

its either Texas Chainsaw (the original), Hellraiser, or Shining.

i think im going to vote for Shining.

SlipknoT
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Thing.

moviejunkie23
Gotta go with Evil Dead 2 as my own personal fav. Its insane, gory, trippy original and hilarios all at the same time big grin

MornGlory
i've always liked Carrie and Misery

Wolfie
I love Misery. Carrie... I made the mistake of reading the book first, the movie isn't nearly as good.

moviejunkie23
yea carrie was stephens first novel and the only novel he wasn't coked up on for years. All the big name king books after Carrie he was coked off his rocker

Napalm
I personally think it was Jaws

Jennifer_Tilly
I vote for John Carpenter's The Thing

orenfan
Can't really pick any of those my fav is and always will be Black Christmas, that movie gives me the freakin creeps.

eggmayo
Chainsaw Massacre.

Mane
Well "Greatest" is going to be based on opinions. What shouldv'e been asked is "What is the single most important horror movie?"

Jaws in 1975 was the first of it's kind. IMO, Jaws sparked more interest in terror and suspense than The Exorcist and Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead (all of which were pretty much the scariest films around at the time). The next film to premiere whose fear was in the caliber of Jaws was Alien in 1979.

Jaws and Alien were rated by fan voting as the number 1&2 scariest movie of all time. As a few years passed, Carpenter made The Thing; one of the most frightening of all time.

I think the "Most important" (by which I mean the most influential) comes down to Jaws, Alien, and The Thing.

slayer
Impressive list Wolfiesmile

The Shining got my vote.

Wolfie
Thank you. thumb up

By the way, I voted for TCM. It's the only movie to ever really scare me a little.

Napalm
Jaws people Jaws! Its a classic

dean7879
night of the living dead

Cinemaddiction
TCM, just because it's almost too realistic.

eggmayo
It really could happen... somewhere remote like that, where the people are all related by blood.

ironmovies
The Shining stanley Kubrik nuff said

slayer
Agreed.

if Friday the 13th was up there it'd get my vote.

it was sorta my introduction 2 horror, plus the fact that it's a GREAT Movie. smile

BREN
THE EXORCIST!!!! ive seen thousands of horror movies i own thousands of horror movies but i think the exorcist is possibly 1 of the most important powerfull movies ever made,this is my view i know many will disagree, especially u younger 1s,lol im 34 i asw the exorcist when i was 12 i thought it was funny cos of the language then i watched it after reading the book when i was 16 i thought the good vs. evil power struggle was expertly done by friedkin,when it was first shown to audiences at the preview screening warner execs didnt have a clue as to what theyd got on their hands,they thought it would bomb untill they looked outside the theatre and all the preview audience were still there talking about what they had just witnessed,maybe the movie dont have the same effect on the public as it did in 1973 but if viewed as supposed to be viewed as a good vs. evil power struggle this movie is a power house.

sorcerer4u
My pick here will be The Shining.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.