Review: Lemony Snicket's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wolfie
Based on Lemony Snicket's first three books of the series (The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, and The Wide Window), Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire's parents had just died when their mansion burned down. They are then sent to live with their distant cousin, Count Olaf. Once Violet is 18, the legal guardian is entitled to the great fortune the Baudelaire parents left behind. The children soon realize that the Count is trying to keep it for himself and will stop at nothing to get it. As the kids are sent from guardian to guardian, Count Olaf isn't far behind to get them back.

All the characters in this film were interesting and very unique from one another, each of the kids, all of the different guardians. You can really tell that Mr. Snicket spent some time on each individual character.

Jim Carrey was hilarious in this movie. This has to be his wackiest performance since Ace Ventura (though not nearly as funny). His character, Count Olaf, being an actor, went about many different disguises as he was following the children. He did these just great, much better than Dana Carvey in The Master of Disguise a couple years ago. I, personally, was wondering if it was Count Olaf in a disguise or if Jim Carrey was taking on multiple roles.

I particularly liked Meryl Streep's small role as Aunt Josephine, the paranoid guardian. Anything and everything was a danger to her. Don't get near the refrigerator because it might fall on you. Don't touch a doorknob because it may explode and the pieces will poke your eye out. I liked the irony that she was so safety-conscious and she lived in such an unstable-looking house right above a large body of water. Not to mention her being obsessive over people using correct grammar and her irrational fear of realtors. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time when I saw her scream in pure terror at the sight of a realtor.

Throughout the movie, I couldn't help but be reminded of Harry Potter for it has a very similar setting and feel to it. However, it is much darker, which I liked, and not as lame. Anything corny or extreme in this is just expected and helps the movie that much more.

If I didn't see the Nickelodeon logo at the beginning, I wouldn't have ever guessed this was a Nickelodeon movie. This is dark enough for adults to enjoy yet wild enough for kids to enjoy. Though I find a lot of movies claim to be great for the whole family, I believe this truely is.

As I understand, there are a total of 11 books out. I will not be opposed at all for those to be turned into movies as long as Jim Carrey reprises the role as Count Olaf.

If you're a fan of a wacky Jim Carrey or the Harry Potter series, I would recommend that you check this out.

Jackie Malfoy
I thought the movie was ok.It was better then I thought.JM

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

chez
Finally got to see this movie the other day, and I really enjoyed it. Although a lot of things were changed and/or shifted around , it maintained the spirit and style of the original books and did it credit.

Some Snicket fans were wary about Jim Carrey playing the loony, villainous Count Olaf, but he was a surprisingly good fit for the role and did a great job -- adding a bit of his usual manic shtick, but not overdoing it, making the character both funny and menacing. For someone like me who usually finds Carrey annoying, this was a pleasant surprise.

One thing I particularly liked about this movie was the fact it was a little dark and cynical, but not depressingly so. Also, the whole concept of "who will outsmart who" that goes on between Count Olaf and the Baudelaire children was a lot of fun.

A dark yet enjoyable flick, probably better for kids who are a little older.

BlackC@t
I really liked this film smile

Since there are enough reviews, I'll just tell anyone who reads this thread to go out and see this movie smile

Jeff-Man
does anyone think the violet chick is hot?

chez
Well, I'm a chick, so no... embarrasment

Why, do you?

teakwonjoe
um...the movie was ok, it was well done, naration was good, but ah...it went waaaaay to long, and and toward the end i had to go to the restroom, and well, it ran to long....they could have lived without some relatives in my opinion...

Jedi Priestess
I wouldnt go because I hate Carrey but my 11 year old loved it. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.