What's with this infatuation with iPods?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
What is this infatuation with iPods? There are numerous better MP3 players out there... you can't copy music from the device to the computer, thanks to copyright protection, and you have to pay a hundred dollars to get your battery replaced when it dies. Plus, they're so expensive... I'd prefer a Nomad or something; double the storage of an iPod, not even the cost of one... $269 for a 40 GB Nomad, $299 for a 20 GB iPod. And don't get me started on the minis, those are a ripoff that's waiting to bite you on the ass.

Jackie Malfoy
No idea I do't care too much about them.Hey I have a computer I don't need anything else fancy!JM

eggmayo
Whats the best mp3 player I can get?

I dont need anything too big, just a 256 or 512 mb.

JKozzy
They can get pretty big... but Apple makes them seem so great, yet they really aren't.

Filth
Dont like ipods much after reading that artical in computer active (i think) it was saying there battries only last about 4 houres, i just use one of the old 256 flash mp3 players, simple to use just plug it in the ubs port and drag your music on, the battari lasts about 10 houres whitch is good considering it only uses one 1,5v (AAA) and it holds about 50 tracks.

eggmayo
What the hell is infatuation?

Bardock42
dude everyone knows that

eggmayo
But im stoopid.

JKozzy
Definition:

1. an object of extravagant short-lived passion
2. foolish and usually extravagant passion or love or admiration
3. temporary love of an adolescent

Filth
lol

eggmayo
So, what I would describe as a crush?

Bardock42
you could have just said
Why are Ipods so ****ing ****ed up, ****?

Filth
thats could be said...

Shaolin Monk
I prefer my Dell Jukebox over the iPod. For 269$, I got the 20gb jukebox, the home charger, the car charger, a stand, a case, the adapter to play it through a tape player, the USB cable, a remote, and the FM tuner...The battery life is extraordinary IMO. I charged it, drove 8 hours to LA, used it a little bit every day for a week, used it the whole drive back, and used it for two weeks after I had gotten back. I have had absolutely no problems with it...for 269$, from Dell, that's not too shabby...seeing how Apple doesn't offer any nice package deals, you have to buy all the above accessories for the iPod separately...which will cost you more.

The iPod is so popular because it introduced a new way to carry around your music, lots of it, in a convenient way. Yes, I'm fully aware of other mp3 players, and ones that were out before it. But the iPod was the one which was globally accepted.

Filth
Hmmm i heard some good things about the dell jukebox tho its a bit pricy for me

JKozzy
$259 for a 40 GB Nomad... I think that's a better deal than anything out there.

Shaolin Monk
what does the Nomad come with? any extra accessories, or is it 259 for the player, headphones, and home charger? I have never messed with one, just seen images. Are the buttons on it sorta like buttons on a TV remote control, where they are soft? or are they plastic/hard? How do you scroll through songs?

Fetcharada
three guesses for who just got an iPod mini no expression

Bardock42
Batman? Paola? God?

Fetcharada
Next person? stick out tongue

Filth
I find that ipods have to much memory, i have a lot of music but im not going to fill 20 gig

Bardock42
Yeah I don't like things that have more memory than me. SO basically everything starting from a fly.

dean7879
ive had a ipod and they are quality

Filth
lol, my current hard drive is only a 20 gig and i still dont fill it, so how in hells name am i going to fill 20 gig with music?

dean7879
ive got the 4 gig mini ipod
thats just perfect for me

dave123
i liked this:

http://www.ninjapirate.com/ipod.html

dean7879
ipods are much better...im sick of arsing about with cd's...ipods are better in the long run in my opinion

Filth
Yes but why buy an ipod when a normal mp3 player is fine

Fetcharada
i was given mine so i can't exactly say "sorry i want an mp3" happy
if my parents wanna blow that money on me, then i'll let 'em!

Filth
well yes i would do the same, but i would not buy one my self

Darth Revan
They're sleek and shiny and you can take them to bed with you at night and I have yet to see any other MP3 player that has a model designed by U2 love

Fetcharada
me neither, as i don't have the goddamn money

Bardock42
my brother has and he actually spent it on one, haha this idiot.

Filth
Not the most intelligent thing but i suppose if thats what he wants then its his money to spend.

Bardock42
yes, indeed, still I laugh at him.

dave123
iPods are easily the best music players on the market yes

Filth
not true there kinda crapy

dave123
nah, they're the best

excellent storage, sleak design....

Filth
The designe is.... well very qyestionable, yes they have 20 gb which is 15 houres of music but the battries only last like 4 houres

dave123
20gig = 15 hours... since when? confused

Filth
it was kinda an un educated estimate

Bardock42
yes actually I think it is a helluvalot more

Filth
yes i the artical i read said 15 days of solid music

Darth Revan
I won one at school. It's pretty damn nice, though I've never had another MP3 player, so I wouldn't know how they compare to others.

Flying High
i like my CD player smile

Filth
cd players are good

Darth Revan
No... They're shitty, you can only take one CD with you at a time

TheFilmProphet
same here

Beyond Image
i like my cd player..**** ipod.

Shaolin Monk
U2 did not design that model. Apple wanted to create something new to pull music lovers attention back their way, after these newer mp3 players posed as a threat. Yes, they engraved their autographes on the back, but they did not design it. Everyone is trying to create an "iPod Killer". Apple will go bankrupt before they let that happen.

Anywho...

The thing is, you will be paying a pretty penny for anything that can store 15-40gb of music. What does the iPod do? It plays music...What does the Dell Jukebox do? It plays music..What does the Nomad do? It plays music...What does Sony's mp3 player do? It plays music. They all play music. It's all down to personal preference, and whether you are a "trend follower" or not. I went with the Dell Jukebox because A) I'm a fan of helpful accessories, especially when its a package deal, and B) From what I tested and read, it seemed to do what I wanted as good, if not better than any other music player out there.

I didn't need to get the iPod because its the trend. I needed to get something that could store a lot of music which I could play while in bed, doing work, jogging, or taking long drives, which I frequently do. The jukebox, after numerous experiments, was what I went with, and I'm glad I did.

We can debate the design/looks of mp3 players all day. It's all personal preference. Many mp3 players do have the same basic design, which is extremely un-surprising. But they all have their own little twist, which could make or break the looks of it for some people. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the Jukebox, but what do I care? I don't constantly stare at it. It's either in my pocket, on the stand, or in its case.

One more thing: Some of these products do more than just play music. They can store files, which can be handy to some. I would almost say that the ones infatuated with the iPod are the "trendy's", but that wouldn't be exactly right. Some have been following the iPod since it was born.

I highly suggest to anyone who plans to purchase any mp3 player, to mess around with it first. Go to a store where you can test a display product, or ask a friend who owns one.

because...?

Demarthl
ipdisgust

Darth Revan
It was a joke. no expression

Shaolin Monk
ok...you weren't the first person i've heard/read say "u2 designed it"...the others were all serious, so I thought you were too stick out tongue...forgive me eek!

furryman
http://productimages.sony-europe.com/IM_NW-HD3R.jpg droolio

Silver Stardust
Not true, my iPod runs for up to 12 hours before needing to recharge yes

I love my iPod, it was a graduation gift. I've got about 1.5 GB filled up on it and that's about 400 songs...I have the 15 GB one. Would I have bought one myself? Probably not, as I can't afford it. But did I want one and am I glad I have one? Hell yeah!!!

frodo34x
Peter did and you saw it through a telescope? stick out tongue

Eyepod headphones = 1 way ticket to being mugged.

eleveninches
Can you delete tracks on it to make space for newer ones??

Gaca
oh this is so true droolio

and searching through all the mp3 god what a mess sick

I love my discman

Deathblow
My theory on people opposed to ipods = they're jealous.

I have an ipod, and it's a friggin godsend love I have had no problems with whatsoever. It's quick and easy, and doesn't screw up my comp at all.

Clavis
eek! I want the pink one!!!

AND YES ITS JUST BECAUSE I THINK IT LOOKS COOL BUT WHO THE FECK CARES! mad

I know I might be childish but hey I'm damn proud of being myself like 24/7 even on kmc

dean7879
ipods are much better than cd players...if u can afford it then buy it..
ipod rock rock rock rock

T.M

furryman
I can only fit about 3 albums on my Creative Muvo Nomad thing, and it's annoying for me, being a lazy shite, to plug it in, transfer etc.. so I'm stuck with listening to the same albums over and over for a week (when I can be bothered to change it)

Fetcharada
yeah

eleveninches
i was going to be getting one for christmas (ipod mini), but the shops had sold out, so im getting one in the sales in the next few days

Maverick2364
I have 16 gigs of music an iPod can hold...

But I only have an iPod mini holding 4gigscry

silver_tears
I have a sony discman/mp3 player confused
It's silver and sleek and Sony eek!
I lover it love

SlipknoT
I want an Ipod sad

§pearhead
well, it's not like anyone needs 20 gigs to begin with, 40's just ridiculous

and minis are pointless, but still...they'd carry enough music to keep me happy

MC Mike
iPod Mini vs. Rio Carbon (iPod wins)
http://www.mp3.com/Player+Bout%3A+iPod+Mini+vs.+Rio+Carbon/stories/1061.html

iPod vs. ZenTouch (iPod wins)
http://www.mp3.com/iPod+vs.+Zen+Touch/stories/1090.html

Plus, most other players don't have Mac support. And if they don't have support for a system better than Windows, they're close-minded. erm

Silver Stardust
That's why you buy different headphones!!! I don't use the headphones that came with my iPod stick out tongue

Shaolin Monk
What's it matter if three people compare 2 mp3 players to the iPod, and in both cases the iPod barely beats the competition?

Mac is a more stable system, but until Mac becomes compatible with more widely used programs (and more user friendly), it won't be "better" to the average computer user. Plus, this is another comparison with responses that are all based on personal preference. "I hate windows because it is unstable"...."I hate Mac's because they aren't very user friendly"...it's all down to the person, just like mp3 players...The point is, they are all good for the purpose they were created, and each will attract different people.

MC Mike
I use Windows because I'm 14 and I play PC games. But once I'm on my PhD at age 25, I'm dumping all this crap. messed

Shaolin Monk
awesome...should check out linux too

good luck with that PhD wink

Fetcharada
loaaaads of places have sold out, including Dubai

eggmayo
Shaolin Monk - Nice Ichi the Killer sig man.

Shaolin Monk
ty smile

ApolloX
Should i get an iPod or a Dell DJ?

Piggle Humsy
crybaby

Well I hate everyone in this thread that has any kind of MP3 player!!
I can't afford any of them and I really would make such good use of one! sad
and I know of loads of 'celebs' that have them and don't even use them coz they don't know how ect..why don't they give them to people who could make good use of them!!! mad
Instead I'm stuck listening to the crackly radio that fades in and out of reception on my old 2nd hand mobile my dad's mate gave me! cry

nopity

*If anyone would like to kindly donate their old mp3 player or buy me one please PM me! Thank you!* winkiss

Mist
Originally posted by JKozzy
What is this infatuation with iPods? There are numerous better MP3 players out there... you can't copy music from the device to the computer, thanks to copyright protection, and you have to pay a hundred dollars to get your battery replaced when it dies. Plus, they're so expensive... I'd prefer a Nomad or something; double the storage of an iPod, not even the cost of one... $269 for a 40 GB Nomad, $299 for a 20 GB iPod. And don't get me started on the minis, those are a ripoff that's waiting to bite you on the ass.

exactly!!! i was just thinking this today..

id prefer to spend $400 on hdd for computerstick out tongue i could get a 400gb for thatstick out tongue

rubber dickie
Originally posted by JKozzy

i'll tell you why. CELEBRITY TIE-INS. humans have the most fickle minds. today iPods, tomorrow, something else with an "i". people seem to think that when famous people own them, they're pretty good.

JKozzy
I prefer my 40 GB Nomad still... half the price of an iPod, same quality, if not better wink

Neo_Version 7
I just use my PSP for music. stick out tongue

Neo_Version 7
But yeah, before I was pretty brain-washed with the i-Pod. big grin

JKozzy
How's the PSP with music? I used to use my Sony Clie and it didn't handle music very well, I hope the PSP is better?

Alpha Centauri
Why is everyone claiming that those who own an iPod are brainwashed? I had mine way before the craze started, never had to replace a battery, never had problems.

Who are more brainwashed? The guys and girls who buy iPods or the guys and girls who don't because they think it's a trend, thus creating their own iPod-hating trend?

-AC

silver_tears
I have a mini, I love it, and I dont like the PSP, my brother offered to bu it for me instead of my ipod and I'm like no, I was disappointed erm

JKozzy
Oh, you and your fancy colors stick out tongue Pink? Green? Blue?

silver_tears
Silver stick out tongue I dont like matallic colours much messed and I have little face plates for it

Neo_Version 7
I dunno. I'm pretty much contented with the PSP.

Cons are though that it's pretty bulky and I have to buy big memory sticks to save my music in. sad

crazy
iaudio is better, just go check it out at jetaudio.com . It even plays movies and is practically the same price, the only reason I'm buying an mp3 player is because I'm going to use it as a car stereo too using the fm transmitter instead of just buying an expensive car stereo. Besides taht though, my cd player is just fine, and yes I know i can hook up my cd player to the car stereo using that cassette thing but it's broken sad. iaudio though is definetly the way to go.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.