Transfering files

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shellie
What is the best way to transfer files ?

Ive gotten a new computer for Christmas and need to transfer some of my files from the old one to my new one . Any suggestions on the way I should do this would be greatly appreciated . Im not sure what to do .

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

yerssot
USB stick

dave123
network them together and send it over

Shaolin Monk
external hard drive

yerssot
then you gotta get them into a network first... that's not the fast way

Tptmanno1
Well not if you just ethernet them together, and if she has DSL it SHOULD allready be set up...

yerssot
if she has that and if she has dsl... what other if's are there?

Raz
You could try home networking, of if you can, plug the hard drive into your new computer and copy them over that way.

dave123
yaeh, the home network like i said big grin

the same method i use to get files from PC to XBOX... well, sort of

Tptmanno1
IF she has a USB storage thingy...

yerssot
yeah, and you only push the stick in and get it on, much easier

shellie
many thanks to everyone . im still trying to figure this out...ive not tried it yet . just been reading up on how...my problem is all this computer lingo is so foriegn to me . no worries...ill get it , just takes a butt load of patience is all . happy

yerssot
that's why an USB-stick would be better imo: you buy it, you push it in the right place; get the stuff on it, repeat but in the other pc and in stead of getting stuff on it, you get them off it

radioboy121
Yes, a USB stick/jumpdrive etc. would be sufficient to transfer things over quickly depending on the size. However, depending on the operating system, you may still need to put in the drivers to identify it (i.e. Windows 95, 98).

If you plan to keep the old computer, I would suggest setting up a wireless LAN if they are distant, or connecting directly through a ethernet cable if close by (assuming both have the port).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.