Timothy Dalton IS James Bond

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
I believe Timothy Dalton was the best of all possible Bonds, and TLD was the best of all possible Bond movies. He may have only played Bond in 2 films, but there are many reasons that suggest Tim was the best Bond of all.

After getting the role he read all the books, then worked with the filmmakers to make it as true as possible to the spirit of Fleming's Bond. Dalton had that coldblood, ruthless edge, without a trace of humor that complimented the Bond of Flemings books. In fact I'd go as far to say that he's the best portrayal of Fleming's Bond. Plus there was also more emotional imvolvement with the Bond women rather than them being mere sex objects.

Unlike Connery, Moore, and Bosnan you can imagine him killing someone without mercy, and not giving it another thought. Moore was seriously overrated. Moore's Bond didn't take his job seriously. He did not have that 'tougher' side to him, but instead added more humour, wit, sexual suggestion and sarcasm.

Dalton is a very intense, dark and extremely enjoyable Bond. He even did many of his own stunts - and who can forget his classic introduction in TLD when he swings around in high winds to see his fellow agent fall off a mountain! And The Living Daylights is one of the best scripted Bond films.

I don't think Dalton's performance as Bond will ever be matched, it's just a pity after 'Licence To Kill' we did not get to see more of him in the role. I do enjoy Brosnan, but I think I grew up watching his Bond films.

yerssot
I have to agree with you lau, about the parts that he is roughless, mercyless and can kill someone in cold blood as it should be for Bond.

What I do not agree on though, is the amount of humor, because the Bond in the books has this dark sadistical humor and he does treat women as objects, so in that perspective they were wrong in the portrayal.
Tim is on my third spot for best Bond though, behind Connery and Pierce.

Mr Parker
. Moore was seriously overrated. Moore's Bond didn't take his job seriously. He did not have that 'tougher' side to him, but instead added more humour, wit, sexual suggestion and sarcasm.

Thats actually why I like Moore the best because I always liked the humor he brought to it and how he was always calm and cool under pressure where Connery seemed to get scared when he was about to die and didnt keep his cool.I do like Connery though and he is my second favorite. I dont like Dalton at all but you make good points and I see where your coming from.I do think he was a better bond than Brosnan though.No question about that.

yerssot
but Bond needs to be icecold, no?

Film Noir
I've always been partial to Brosnan, but that may be because I grew up watching his Bond films. Throughout the years I've dabbled in all of the actors who've portrayed 007 (Even George Lazenby...ugh) and I must say the winner would be Pierce.

yerssot
and why did you pick him?

lau_timmy
Timothy Dalton is a better actor than Pierce Brosnan not only because of the usual reasons (he's better looking, he's had more experience, etc.)but also because Timothy can be the villan as well as the hero. I can't picture Pierce as a villan. All of his movies I've seen he's always been the hero. Timothy, on the other hand, is comfortable in both roles.

MornGlory
I think Ewan McGregor would be a good bond...

thats ok he can go back to making his normal movies- where he takes his pants off randomly droolio

yerssot
MG, this is not about the new bond stick out tongue

Discos
I applaud his great performance in the living daylights....but jesus, License to Kill was a bloody joke.

Bond shouldnt be ruthless, he is a lady charmer and a swift cat in the night. None of this carry on he had in license to kill, roger moore, sean connery and yes....even lezenby should have slapped Dolton for his performance.

yerssot
but Bond SHOULD be ruthless, he has a licence to kill and needs to take down target that makes you rutheless messed

lau_timmy
I can't understand many people think Timothy Dalton was the weakest Bond. I thought he a brilliant job in the two films he made and is underrated. The problems was, the scripts especially Licence To Kill and also the years when the cold war and AIDS was a serious threat. In my opinion it unfair that he get a chance to do one more Bond. I know that United Artists didn't want Dalton after losing money on Licence to Kill. Well Roger Moore second Bond film (A Man With The Golden Gun) loss alot of money, but still had the chance to do 5 more Bond Films.

yerssot

lau_timmy
He had a contract for one more film but didn't want to continue. He was simply a different Bond. He replaced Moore who was a joker and came with a deadly and serious Bond that the (US) audiences weren't ready for. In the last years people have come to see him as an excellent Bond - the true fans know that his Bond was probably closest to Fleming's creation. Fleming would have loved Dalton's portrayal of Bond.

NoFate007
I thought he was without a doubt the best, 2nd being Brosnan, then Connery, Moore, then Lazenby. Dalton WAS Bond, as you stated. Perfect for it.

The Redeemer
While Sean Connery will always be Bond to me, I thought Dalton did a pretty good job of it in the two films he made. After the Connery through Moore era, LTK is my favourite Bond film with TND in second spot.

LTK is a good stand alone film in it's own right, so to speak. It's played pretty straight with few comedy touches unlike the worst of the Moore films. Benicio Del Torro is one of the better Bondian henchmen, a really nasty piece of work who should have gotten a more spectacular demise in the Anthony Zerbe/Robert Davi mould in my opinion.

yerssot
I think that most fans today will indeed agree that Dalton did it excellent, he finally stopped the silliness Moore got in, it was more of a comedy with him than a spy-movie
Dalton made it a spythriller again with topics as defection and revenge, much better than things like going into space messed

Mr Parker
again Brosnan with the exception of George Lazenby is the worst bond ever.horrible choice for the role.

yerssot
why do you think that?

lau_timmy
I think the Brosnan Bond films have shown Dalton's Bond and his films in a much better light. I know many Bond fans think Die Another Day pushed Bond back into really silly, dumbed-down territory, invisible car, Ice Palaces etc - and they look back with fondness at Dalton's films and the more realistic approach.

I'm sure in the long term The Living Daylights and Licence To Kill will be regarded as better films than Die Another Day and most if not all of Brosnan's Bond films.

Lazenby's Bond film was dismissed when it was released and now most fans think it's one of the very best of the series. I think that's happening with Dalton's Bond films. People are looking back with fondness and applaud Dalton's more serious approach. And if the rumours are true, it's possible Bond 21 will be more like a Dalton Bond film.

Endenkton
Dalton was meh.Nothing special.

Nobody will top Connery.That guy IS James Bond.The franchise would never have become the success it was if he hadn't started it.

Decomposition
I agree that Dalton's films are very underrated and also agree that Dalton did a great job as bond. Lazemby, looking back, also did a greater job than people gave him credit for. He brought a toughness to bond, making him more of a fighter (eg, fist fighter) and he also did his own stunts for the whole movie, which earns him double respect from me...in fact, the producers thought he was so good they offered him a contract for the next 7...yes 7...films, but he turned it down because he didn't believe the bond hype would survive through the seventies...I bet he rues that day now, eh?.....anyway, having said all that, I believe that, thanks to one movie, Goldeneye, Pierce Brosnan was the bond for me.

MildPossession
Timothy Dalton will always be my favourite Bond, loved him in the films. Should have done more.

yerssot
Decomposition, don't forget that Dalton did his own stunts too, something, I feel, a bond-actor should always do actually

Decomposition
Aye, I did forget that...and agreed that it is something they should always do...

The Redeemer
IIRC ol' Rog did his own speedboat stunts in LALD, the jumps excluded. He crashed during filming and smacked his gob against the steering wheel losing a couple of teeth!

yerssot
the stuntman or Moore?

Devalion
Don't get me wrong....I loved Tim as Bond, but Connery is top of my list coz as the original, he set the character in the film world.

Reborn Again
Originally posted by lau_timmy
I believe Timothy Dalton was the best of all possible Bonds, and TLD was the best of all possible Bond movies. He may have only played Bond in 2 films, but there are many reasons that suggest Tim was the best Bond of all.

After getting the role he read all the books, then worked with the filmmakers to make it as true as possible to the spirit of Fleming's Bond. Dalton had that coldblood, ruthless edge, without a trace of humor that complimented the Bond of Flemings books. In fact I'd go as far to say that he's the best portrayal of Fleming's Bond. Plus there was also more emotional imvolvement with the Bond women rather than them being mere sex objects.

Unlike Connery, Moore, and Bosnan you can imagine him killing someone without mercy, and not giving it another thought. Moore was seriously overrated. Moore's Bond didn't take his job seriously. He did not have that 'tougher' side to him, but instead added more humour, wit, sexual suggestion and sarcasm.

Dalton is a very intense, dark and extremely enjoyable Bond. He even did many of his own stunts - and who can forget his classic introduction in TLD when he swings around in high winds to see his fellow agent fall off a mountain! And The Living Daylights is one of the best scripted Bond films.

I don't think Dalton's performance as Bond will ever be matched, it's just a pity after 'Licence To Kill' we did not get to see more of him in the role. I do enjoy Brosnan, but I think I grew up watching his Bond films.

Man, you're smokin' sumthin'. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

yerssot
Delectados?

Reborn Again
Originally posted by yerssot
Delectados?

laughing

yerssot
and I too thought no one would smoke those stick out tongue

stunty01
Very good acting of Timothy Dalton, I like him in many films one of my most favorite actors.
The stunts where not done by Timothy but by Simon Crane he was Timothy's stunt double.

handsdown
well timothy dolton is 3rd for me connery and brosdan because you don't have to be coldblooded to kill just to act calm as though nothing happened and i can see them 3 be able to do so a moore was crazy overrated once i saw him just in discretly punch in a judo fight so he's more like a average joe agent that gets lucky a lot

Mr Parker
Originally posted by MildPossession
Timothy Dalton will always be my favourite Bond, loved him in the films. Should have done more.

He wasnt my favorite Bond but I liked him as well.Thought he was underrated as Bond and agree that he should have done more.

Mr Parker

funny I didnt enjoy Brosnan,,matter of fact i wish Dalton had done four films and Brosnan,just two.

Mr Parker

I saw Living Daylights for only the second time recently.I liked it a lot better than i remember i did the first time i saw it several years ago.pretty good film actually.

Decomposition
I am one of the few who like Lazemby in OHMSS, however, with that said, I really wish that Dalton had taken on the role of Bond when they offered him the part in it.

Given that he was only 24/25 at the time...he could have stuck around for 15-20 years, sparing us most of the tripe that the Roger Moore Bond movies dished up.

SunRazer
Dalton was a great Bond, but why the heck do people say that Connery, Moore and Brosnan couldn't do merciless kills? Connery was full of them, Moore had the tie-slap in TSWLM and the car kick in FYEO, and Brosnan had Elektra King and Alec Trevelyan.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.