Earthquake In Asia Kills 3,000 People!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Earthquake, Tidal Waves Kill More Than 3,000 in Asia (Update10)

Dec. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The strongest earthquake in 40 years struck the Indonesian island of Sumatra, unleashing tidal waves that killed more than 3,000 people in India, Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia.

The magnitude 8.9 quake, the fifth strongest in a century, triggered aftershocks across 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles) of water, killing more than 2,600 people in India and Sri Lanka alone. The waves struck resorts in Thailand, Malaysia, the Andaman Islands and the Maldives filled with tourists for the year-end holidays.

Sri Lanka reported at least 1,650 deaths and appealed for international help. In India, more than 1,000 people died, Home Minister Shivraj Patil said. As many as 700 people died in Indonesia and 168 died and more than 2,000 were injured in Phuket and other southern beach areas in Thailand, Agence France-Presse said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aSZNFtX0uoEI&refer=top_world_news

Express your thoughts about this and on a side note, is there anyone on KMC that lives in Asia?

Clavis
cry shit

TheFilmProphet
I know, I saw it on the news and decided to post the info on it. I think its suppose to be like one of the worst earthquakes in the world since 1960 or something.

Liverpool Fan
i saw it on the news!

Jedi Priestess
You'd probably have better luck with this thread in the GDF. That being said, this is simply horrible. I feel for those people.

Loving_Daniel11
Havent heard about that. Wow that must suck

Jackie Malfoy
That is horrible.I hate earth quakes.I am so happy that I don't live in a state or country that has one.JM

Loving_Daniel11
We had a minor tremor <Trimmer, however the heck you spell it> Before I was born, my mother told me about it.

Liverpool Fan
Cool, ive never seen an tremor b4 whats iit like?

Loving_Daniel11
Lol goofy.
Its a minor earthquake, rarely big enough to do any real damage.

pr1983
i have friends in thailand, so right now i'm waiting for them to reply to my emails...

Loving_Daniel11
Oo. That must sux0rs. Hope they're fine.

eggmayo
There was a tremor in Leicester 2 or 3 years back, it bust my stereo.

Loving_Daniel11
That sux

Anna85
I heard at the news that are 5,000 deads

Loving_Daniel11
I thought it was 2700. I might've been reading a diff article though, but I thought it was the right thing

TheFilmProphet
Well this morning it was 3,000 people, but they said those numbers would probably rise, so by now it must be a bit higher.

Loving_Daniel11
Yea, They're prolly going to find more bodies. Never know.

TheFilmProphet
That sounds terrible, let us know if they email you back.

Loving_Daniel11
Yea.

TheFilmProphet

pr1983
shit, i hope my friends are ok...

TheFilmProphet
yeah, I hope so too, this is so sad especially the day right after Christmas.

Anna85
have u got friends from asia???

pr1983
one friend in thailand and my gf is in vietnam, though i heard nam was safe...

TheFilmProphet
Not me, but Pr does.

Anna85
wow!!!!
i haven't got

TheFilmProphet
I know sad

pr1983
then your lucky not having to worry about it...

TheFilmProphet
yeah I guess so, but it still pretty sad to hear about.

I think they said the earthquake was the equivalent of 32 billion pounds or tons (not sure) of TNT.

pr1983
whoa, that is alot...

TheFilmProphet
yeah I know, thats worse than any terrorist attack ever.

eggmayo
From what I heard, all the communications will be down, I dont think they'll be replying.

TheFilmProphet
yeah who knows when they will reply, maybe weeks or months.

eggmayo
The death toll's gone up to 11,000.

TheFilmProphet
wow!!

Thats alot more than I ever expected. sad

pr1983
now i'm really scared...

TheFilmProphet
Well I hope nothing bad happened to your frineds Pr.

pr1983
me neither...

TheFilmProphet
*crosses fingers*

pr1983
thx dude...

TheFilmProphet
no prob, I know how it feels.

Raz
This belongs in the GDF...

TheFilmProphet
Well its here now, wink

finti
shit happens

KidRock
Mother Nature is just expressing its population control rights.

\/ertigo
that sux. Its on the news right now. Im really sorry for those ppl sad

finti
mother nature tells the belivers whos really in controll

\/ertigo
Sh!t happens, but life goes on no expression

Fire
Last I heard it was over 11,000 people dead (could be wrong tho belgian news aint too reliable)

Only 2 belgians dead and 17 missing but that doesn't matter. I dunno anyone in the area. All I can hope for and do is contribute to the massive amounts of aid that will clearly be needed.

finti
latest report is 2500 dead

Evy_O
very sad no

\/ertigo
indeed

MC Mike
How horrible. sad I can't believe no one has told me! Everyone seems blind to foriegn events. mad

pr1983
crybaby

pr1983
crybaby *prays*

TheFilmProphet
I agree

.::Levi@than::.
That's just terrible sad My brother's in Malaysia right now, but has let us know that he's fine. I am kinda worried because most of my relatives live in India, and last I heard 2 of my friends were in india.

Thorondor
23,500 expected dead now

manny321
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Science&cat=Asia_Tsunami_Disaster
Tsunami Kills 22,000 in Nine Countries
(AP) - Rescuers piled up bodies along southern Asian coastlines devastated by tidal waves that smashed into nine countries, obliterating seaside towns and killing more than 20,900 people. Hundreds of children were buried in mass graves in India, and morgues and hospitals struggled to cope with the catastrophe. The death toll mounted sharply Monday, a day after the 9.0-magnitude quake struck deep beneath the Indian Ocean off the coast of Indonesia. It was the most powerful quake in four decades. More ...

Sad, our cbc (canadian brodcaste channel reports 25000 dead. I think 50,000 will be killed. THats the estimate by offical there

pr1983
shit shit shit shit shit

*prays*

manny321
the dieases will kill many, likely. Just hope no more aftershocks. Also its a 9.0 earthquake. The 4th strongest in recorded history. A earthquake of that sort hitting LA will be of unspeakable words.

Fetcharada
it's really terrible

Drifter101
3,000? i heard its 23,000 now

Thorondor
What's LA got to do with it confused

manny321
i am saying what would happen if a 9.0 hits LA, and it is possibile it would be devastating at least. It would disable the west coast for months or even a year and hundrends of billions in damages.

manny321
over 500 tourists have been killed from many countires. THailand is more affected the thought before. On sunday 300 were killed now its 900 and they say it will go higher. Sri lanka is really destoryed. they need the most hep, however in indonisa the death toll is climbing a lot.

I got it from cbc news and the offical from one country says the tsunami will be more deadly and destrcutive then the tsunami caused by the island volcano of Krakatoa in 1883 causing a tsunami that killed 36,000 people.
***NOTE KRAKATOA IS THE LARGEST VOLCANO TO BLOW IN RECORED HISTORY and caused the largest sound in history!!!

manny321

Dwarfdude
You guys do know that this happened two days ago, right? The news teams have just been dragging there asses to it.

9.0 earthquake would flatten any city. Remember how long it took for the two towers to come down? Imagine that in super-ultra fast forward, and thats your result of a 9.0 earthquake hitting NYC, which is very possible. There is a fault line that runs right through New York City, which is why, to the north, no buildings are over 7 stories. A 9.0 earthquake in L.A. would bring the greater part of California to a screeching halt, while a 9.0 in NYC would bring the entire U.S. to its knees.

manny321
A 9.0 is an earthquake of epic destruction.

PVS
and counting sad

pr1983
this is sooo shit....

Tptmanno1
YEa this blows,
But half of the reason so many people died is because not alot of people know how to prepare for earthquakes, and the buildings arn't built that way.
If we had a 9.0 in LA, it would be bad, but it wouldn't be soo bad becuase we've been preparing for earthquakes all our lives.

shaber
I know someone who is missing - or his aunt at any rate.

manny321
it would be bad in LA, easily thousnads would be killed. the buildings are strong but nothing i mean nothing can wistand that strong of an earthquake.

Nienna
My friends live, or may be now lived, in the Maldives. They're missing too.

manny321
i think the true death toll has just started,some of the reports by smaller TV networks are quite depressing. I say the Indian PM face, he is as devastated as you can be. 7000 killed in that country. India is better able to handle this then sri lanka though. I find it amazing that India is sending so much help to Sri lanka even though they are so devastated themselves.

Jackie Malfoy
I heard of it aready,And I felt so sad.There were some americans that died too.God bless those people!JM

Dwarfdude
.......Sorry, but can I just say "figures".

Anywho, yeah, doesnt surprise me that the bigger networks, that everyone watches, arent reporting the big numbers. They never do, if you notice.

Question: What has Bush sent in terms of aid?

manny321
only CNN and BBC are putting the numbers in your face. CNN spends like 40 min of each hour on this disaster.

Also can you explain more dwarfdude?? ABC,NBC, CBS are not focusing on this story. Well it looks like thi news story will be #1 story till new years.

manny321
Oh dear, 600 Swedish people are missing. Now that's a big shocker and also 100's people were killed all the way in Somalia. That 4-5000 km away!!
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041227/ap_on_re_as/quake_tidal_wave_16
Bodies were pulled from roadsides, orchards and beaches as Khao Lak resort, where the Swedish tour operator Fritidsresor said 600 Swedes had not been accounted for.

DarkCrawler
100 Finnish missing...one dead.

Other countries:

Horrible.

Fiery Eyes
Yes, that is horrible, my husband was telling me about this.

DarkCrawler
Pr1983 and Nienna, do you have heard anything about your friends yet?

*SpunkiE*
I cant beleive it reached Perth in Australia! But my friends family were lucky enough to be ok in Sri Lanka. Her relatives were about 1km from where the water was coming in.

*SpunkiE*
I just heard the tsunamis reached all the way up to Mexico and California!

charmedFairy
All those poor peopleweep

*SpunkiE*
I know, i mean, i'm thankful nothing terrible happened in the Philippines and Australia, but its terrible that this could happen.

pr1983
my friend is in phuket, still no word...

manny321
in Phuket, that been a media focus point. Odd some reports of rescue going well and other reports of hundreds of missing tourists?? Which is true, and our Canadian broadcast channel reports that the vice president of indonisa said that "21000-25000 people have killed in Indonisa alone!!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=516&ncid=716&e=1&u=/ap/20041228/ap_on_re_as/quake_tidal_wave

Climbing Asian Death Toll Passes 22,500

Late Monday, Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla told the state news agency he believed the toll in his country could climb to 25,000.

"We don't have confirmed data, but I think between 21,000 and 25,000 people (have died), he said, according to the Antara state news agency.

pr1983
my friend is actually from phuket, i hope she's alright...

*prays*

manny321
i think the numbers from indonsia are going to climb by a lot. There is no way that only 5000 were killed when a 9.0 earthquake hit close to the coast and surface to one of the most densly packed countries in the world.

pr1983
true, this is such a shame...

manny321
I think in a week this will become a far greater disaster. Many are still missing in Islands too. Indonisa hasn't reported higher death tolls because they haven't been able to get to some severly affeceted yet!!
here is a thailand article
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1530&ncid=731&e=1&u=/afp/20041228/wl_asia_afp/asiaquakethailandtoll

700 tourists have been killed!!
Over 700 foreigners among dead in Thailand: deputy minister

9 minutes ago Asia - AFP

BANGKOK, (AFP) - More than 700 foreign tourists are believed to have died when tidal waves smashed into southern Thailand over the weekend, the deputy interior minister said.

"The latest figure we have is more than 990 confirmed deaths. Of these some 200 were Thais and the rest were foreigners," Sutham Sangprathum told reporters before a cabinet meeting on the disaster.
"But from what I have witnessed more deaths will be reported."
Other officials on the ground had earlier estimated that about one-third of the victims were foreigners.
Sutham estimated that the final death toll could surpass 2,000 in six southern provinces.
He said the worst hit area was Khao Lak in Phang Nga province where he estimated that more than 1,000 people had died and 80 percent of the area suffered damage.
Sutham said the second worst-hit area was Phi Phi island east of Phuket with up to 70 percent of the island severely damaged.
He said rescue operations Tuesday would focus on recovering bodies and tracing the missing. On Monday the focus was on helping survivors.

Oh dear i wonder how many tourists have been really killed. Alot of sweds are missing!!

pr1983
i wonder if there's a death register in thailand, shes a native so maybe i can find one...

manny321
i am quite shocked by the number of foreign nationals killed. Over 1000 in the area affected!! You can try to find a Thai hot line, it was on CNN a while ago. Try their embassy number.

Worrying thing is that now 24,000 are killed and atleast 30-50000 are reported missing. I think this disater is getting bigger and bigger. I think 50,000 people will die from this clamity. I hope your friend is not one of them.

pr1983
its like a needle in a haystack to find her...

MC Mike
Okay, Jackie Malfoy, I find it just sick that you "God bless" the Americans, and jsut leave the whole other thousand of dead people out of your condolences. Jesus.

I'm praying with you my friend, every time I can.

finti
45 000 dead and counting, as of the toll on my contrymen 13 Norwegians confirmed dead 800 Norwegians still missing...........

manny321
According to CBC news at least 2000 reported dead in Thailand.
Estimates say 18,700 people killing in sri lanka, the death toll in Indian is past 10,000 not 4000 and in Indianian the death toll may reach as high as 50,000!!!!
CNN reports a lower death toll of 33,000 but have not included 10,000 found dead in Indianian

Here a official death toll vs other death tolls

Sri Lanka: 12,909-rep 18,700
Indian: 8,523-12,000
Indonesia: 21,000 very high!
Thailand: 1,439-2000
Malaysia: 65
Myanmar: 90
Maldives: 55
Bangladesh: 2
Somalia 100
Tanzania 10
Total: 44,193

Note Indian, Indonesian, sri lankan, Thai officials still reports thousands missing. This is the worst Tsunami in 120 years and even worse then the one in Krakatoa!

finti
total death toll latest 55 000

manny321
true from who??? I think this is the worst earthquake since 1976!!!

A4E
yeah one of my friend's sister and her husband were spending thei hollidays there, he doesnt know wether they r still alive, but going ot their place is like... wow... his mom crys all day... i havent seen him in like a week... i hope she and her husband r aiight, they were on their honeymoon, luckily not one person close to me went there, though i live in china (i am soo not chinese) and we also felt it, but it was very minor

finti
the authorities from the countries taht was hit by the sunami

manny321
Some news people show more graphic things. On cnn they showed some dead bodies but on the Canadian brodcast channel they show everything. A-Z and one reporter gave such a chilling report in Thailand over the phone and it was more sad then any video i have seen. Clear difference in what they show and say. Cnn is the only US network really focusing on this story. BBC is going mental on this story too. Abc, cbc and cbs give like 5 min.

here proof, 55,000 killed
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1512&ncid=1512&e=2&u=/afp/20041228/wl_afp/asiaquaketoll_041228142716

Death toll in Asian quake disaster over 55,000

JAKARTA (AFP) - The confirmed death toll from the massive earthquake and tidal waves that devastated much of Asia's coastline passed 55,000, with officials warning the figure was likely to rise steeply.
In Indonesia, the government's disaster relief centre said at least 27,174 were killed after the country took the full force of the huge earthquake and tidal waves that swallowed entire coastal villages.
ndonesia's health ministry said at least 27,174 had been killed in the quake as the true scale of the catastrophe becomes clear.
In Sri Lanka more than 17,600 people, including at least 70 foreigners, were killed in Sunday's disaster.
More than 8,500 people were reported killed in India with many more victims expected, officials said.
Among them were about 4,000 in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, close to the epicentre of the quake, where thousands were missing after five villages were swept away, an official said.
More than 1,400 people were killed, among them more than 700 foreign tourists, in southern Thailand, officials said, putting the toll at 1,439.
In Malaysia 65 people, including many elderly and children, were killed, officials said, while at least 90 people were killed in Myanmar.
At least 52 people including two British holidaymakers were killed while another 68 were missing in the tourist paradise of Maldives, officials said.

Death toll vs other death tolls
Sri Lanka: 17,640-18700
India: 8,523-12000
Indonesia: 27,174
Thailand: 1,439-2000
Malaysia: 65
Myanmar: 90
Somalia 100
Tanzania 10
Total: 55,098-60,000
OKay, now this is starting to scare me!!!
Offically now this is the deadlist earthquake since 1976!!
sad sad

manny321
i wish to donate money but i only have cash, so i have to wait untill someone comes to my door.

manny321
Sweden reported 1,500 citizens missing, the Czech Republic almost 400, Finland 200 and Italy and Germany 100.
Many are presumed dead. This disaster also will be remembered to have killed more tourists then people in Thailand. According to CBC on a resort island of kaho lake, hundreds of bodies mostly foreigners lie in rows of 50.

finti
so tourists aint people???? I think you aiming at that there are more tourists than Thai`s that are dead

manny321
Its true, there are reports that more tourists then thai's are dead.I ment more tourists were killed in thailand then the local people. Out of the 2000 reported dead 1300 are belived to be tourists.

finti
yeah we heard the reports that the majority of dead in Thailand are tourists

manny321
now I'm confused, CBC reports 59000 dead but CNN has been at 33,000 since early morning.
CBC has
Indonesia:27,000 dead
Sri Lanka:19,000
India:11,500
Thailand:1,500
total:59,000

Sad, 25,000 estimated dead in sri lanka plus thousands of tourists still missing in thailand. no
India thousands are missing and tens and i mean tens of thousands missing in Indonesia. I don't want to imagine the total but i think 70,000 plus will be killed. Making it the worst Tsunami to hit anywhere since 1755 in Lisbon Portugal. What the f**k?

finti
cnn aint updated then, all the reports says 55 000 +

manny321
worst diaster since 1976 in any terms.

finti
well the Armenian earthquake in 1988 had around 45 000 dead, so yes this disaster is bigger, the Tangshan eartquace had an official death toll to be 255 000, but many experts believe the real number to be 2-3 times as big

manny321
Tangshan earthquake was in 1976 so it is true. This is the Worst Tsunami disaster in recorded history. I think it will more deadly then the Lisbon Tsunami all the way back in 1755 that killed 70,000 people. Shocking very shocking. This clamity is bigger then any diasater in last 28 years and will be the worst Tsunami in recorded history.

charmedFairy
Just to keep things up-to-date, the death toll is now over 52,000

miahera
crap and it was about 45,000 this morning.

pr1983
f*ck...

The Omega

manny321
Acording to Cbc another 25,000 may be found dead in Indonesia and another 10,000 in Sri lanka and India. Death toll may go as high as 75,000 sad

pr1983
this is going to hell...

Tex
America only donated $35 million?

That's absolutely pathetic.
The last election cost over a billion.

We are stingy, for a country whose GDP is in the trillions! thumb down

charmedFairy
I heard it donated $15 million huh

But even so, the US has to deal with the war in Iraq, the economy, homeland security, etc. Can't really help other countries if your in a deep hole yourself no expression

manny321
iam so pissed!!! SOME americans said "Why do usless ugly people need my taxpaying money"

I swear god will give them such a terribile death that even the devil shit in his pant watching them die. mad mad mad mad

I don't undertsnad how people can say such things. These people call themselves religious but they forget the core of thier relgions to help thy neighbour!! The american governemt is doing okay, but my heart rips in half when hear stuff like that. One guy said the death tolls numbers are a scam to get american money. Maybe you should watch cnn and see that they need buldozers to move the dead bodies. I swear some American people are going to get thier country ruined.

charmedFairy
They need a reality check.

Dr. Strangelove
sad sad times...I really hope your friend is okay pr.

pr1983
thx for your support guys... thing is, she's been askin me to visit her for months, and i was thinkin of goin for christmas...

manny321
Well this what makes Canada great. If you ever said something like that you would hunted down. We have a right to free speech but it can't be anything racist unlike the united states. Its called the equality right. But how can you convince rednecks who think everyone in India is a Muslim??? How can you convince people who hardly ever seen or been exposed to people of other cultures. Multiculturalism has one great benefit and that is it makes the people a more tolerant and a accepting society.

I bet a million dollar it would take some people that made those comments 2 hours to find those countries on the map. If people travel outside their country for once maybe they wouldn't be stupid.

Note i am not making fun of the US but of those few americans, which make your country look really really bad.

charmedFairy
I agree with you manny. I was talking about those few Americans that said that too. India is mostly populated by Hindus but that doesn't give anyone the right to talk badly about them. Theyr'e people too! Those that said that are just narrow minded.

Nienna
No. Nothing. cry I know this sounds really babyish of me, but I'm really freaked. shock

charmedFairy
You don't sound babyish, your worried about your friends. I would freak out too If it were me. By the way I really hope you hear from them soon, gl sad

*SpunkiE*
Oh man, i absolutely despise people who are so ignorant and naive to say those sort of things when such a terrible disaster like this occurs.

charmedFairy
Even after the death toll caused by the tsunami stops( and I hope it does soon) there will be even more deaths due to disease and poverty, half of the deaths are children only so you can imagine there are gonna be a lot of orphans. sad

BackFire
This is a horrible, tragic event. The death toll is insane...I really hope the number stops rising soon, it doubled in about 24 hours.

Too all of the people who have friends and loved ones over there, I truly hope they are safe.

Ruso-Ib
You know, after living in Kentucky for two years, I find what you say very accurate and sad. Most of the people there thought that Rome was in latin America, that Fidel Castro was the fascist president of Mexico, that the Reinassance ocurred in the States, and that Muslims were some evil people who killed for fun... eek!
Sadly, many(without generalizations) Americans live in their own little world, they have accomplished a reasonable living standard, so they dont need to worry about world issues. It is the "center of the world" attitude, which is frustating for educated people, but explainable....

manny321
1500 Swed's and 800 Norwegians are missing and presumed dead. Death toll stands at 63,000 as the death climbs by 4,000 in sri lanka to 23,000. Death toll in India is 12,500 while it is 27,000 in Indonesia. Anderson cooper of CNN really showed how the death toll has just started in Indonesia. Many area have not been reported yet and according to CBC 10,000 people are confirmed dead in one town alone plus they say that number may increase 4 folds in that town alone. I am shocked and Indonesia may get 60,000 people killed there it self.

Also i think some yanks acted that way because a few people danced in Indonesia after 9/11. Um hello!! there are over 200 million people there and like a small group did that. PLus it is barbaric to do this eye for eye treatment to people. However i am sure the majority of YAnks are much more smarter then that. However some of the people i met are truly psychos!!

manny321
death toll went from 22,000 to 63,000 in less then 24 hours!!!

WindDancer
I really hope the death count stops. This is indeed a living nightmare and any help little or small helps the victims. btw I do find utterly disgusting when people use a tragedy to illustrate their political views. But then again everyone is entitled to their friggin political opinion. I sincerely hope this disaster will be resolve soon.

Dr. Strangelove
I agree, this thread should be focusing on this terrible tradegy, not a couple of dumb Americans with dumb logics.

manny321
Also CBC reports 68,000 dead now!!! In 3 hours its gone from 52,000 to 68,000. 32000 reported killed in Indonesia!!

TSUNAMI TOLL vs other tolls
Indonesia: 32,502
Sri Lanka: 21,715-23,000
India: 12,419
Thailand: 1,516
East Africa: 133
Malaysia: 64
Myanmar: 36

So 68,000 reported dead but its more like 69,000 now. I am devasted, shocked god knows where these numbers may go!

Thi may be helpful to contact love ones.
HOTLINE NUMBERS
India: +91 11 2309 3054

Thailand: +66 2643 5262 and 2643 5000

Sri Lanka (residents): +94 11 536 1938
Sri Lanka (tourists): +94 11 243 7061

Maldives: +44 20 7224 2149

Seychelles: +248 321 676

I think we may see 100,000 dead.

pr1983
f*cking hell......

this is unreal, the greatest tragedy of recent years...

manny321
Since 1976 my friend.

Also note it is normal for woman in Sri lanka and India to beat on their chests when in peril. Some yanks think they are happy. I know the culture fairly well there. Also many Hindus are being buried instead of cremated due to the amount of people killed. Hindus are rarley every buried!!! Shows how serious the event is. I thank our Cbc for not hiding Info from people and giving the info that matter most. I'll be back at 11 pm est. I am going to watch cbc national and get more news!

manny321
double post

charmedFairy
i just want it to stop alreadycry

Imperial_Samura
"But even so, the US has to deal with the war in Iraq..."

Amazing how something like this puts things in perspective, how minute the affairs of men are compared to something so uncontrolled.

Coming from Australia, it all seems so close, so horrifying, I knew some people holidaying in the area at the time, thankfully they are safe, and I hope that it is the same for other people who have loved ones over their. Such a terrible thing to happen in a part of the world that really can't cope with such disaster, the UN is saying this is the worse natural humanitarian disaster ever, and some analysts are predicting conservatively that the toll will go from 60,000 up to and over 100,000. sad

Really, it is one of those times were everyone should come together, and try to help, while things can't be put right, there are so, so many who are affected, I can only hope to see the world unite to help these poor, poor people.

Captain REX
Isn't up already at 66,000 now? messed

Too f***ed up. It threw the damned Earth off balance and moved Sumatra a hundred feet...

Imperial_Samura
Probably, it climbs by the hour. The full toll will probably never be known. It seems to empathise how little control we really have over the Earth. No warning. Nothing could stop it...

charmedFairy
I had the wrong info. before...I just saw this on tv
The US is giving more than $1 billion in humanitarian aid to the countires affected. I hope it eases some of the hell the people there are going through.

Ruso-Ib
Such a horrible tragedy makes us think about how insignificant humans are, and how fast evrything is destroyed by nature. Dark day for the world...

manny321
i hope this teaches the world a big lesson.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>