Without god in your life do you feel depress?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
Let me countune the question with this. Most people who are beliefs in god are less depress then people who have no god to believe in.
What are your thoughts on this?Do you argee or disargee.Also no flaming please.
See you around!JM Happy Dance

Bardock42
HAHAHAHAHAHA, no.
PEople that belive in God are in no way less depressed.
Well I am just assuming though from people that I know I don'T know any surveys aboot that.

BackFire
Many people believe in God because they are/were depressed and have nothing else to live for.

So no.

SlipknoT
No

finti
most who believe in a god are the depressed ones, let us non believers have a party cheers

Cinemaddiction
..and you base that assinine assumption on what specifically?

Silver Stardust
Pfft, sorry, but I have to say that this is a pretty dumb question.

I've never seen anything saying that people who don't believe in God are more depressed than those that do; in my experience I'd have to say the answer to the question is no.

Cinemaddiction
I don't believe I personally would be any less sad if I didn't accept God or Jesus Christ in my life. I, personally, couldn't imagine my life without him now, but I don't feel as if I'd be any more/less sad without his presence.

Motivation doesn't have a religion, and is a key factor in your physical and mental well being. If you are indeed lacking that however, you're bound to misery.

Imperial_Samura
Stereotypically one imagines (I said stereotypically, not actually agreeing with this) that those who believe in God don't get depressed as easily, as they don't give up hope, they don't find things senseless, they believe there is ultimately justice and rewards for belief.... they have hope...

Now, is this true? In reality a person "without God" is no more prone to depression then a person who has god, or vice versa. Now, depression, depending on the sort, can be an actual illness (which means either God has cursed them, or its a natural medical problem etc). Of course there are other sorts that are a bit more dependant on a persons outlook on life, their situation and so forth. However, I don't think a person without god is really more likely to suffer. In fact belief can, for some, be a burden, they feel they aren't living up to gods wishes, some in extreme cases punish them selves mentally (or physically) and can be quite unhappy. Some wonder at the state of the world, and it depresses them - they say "How can God let this happen?"

Ultimately it comes down to a person. Its a bit like saying a person who prefers Fish to chicken is more likely to be depressed, which is not the case. I don't thin depression is linked completely to religion or lack there off...

MC Mike
Most of the goths at school are Catholic. erm

Dr. Strangelove
No

Typo_Scar
from experience, there is no doubt in my mind that religion and the belief in god actually do increase people's spirits. The belief in something makes people perk up i guess. My friend was thinking about committing suicide, but then he decided to devote his like to Jesus, and now i cant really remember him not smiling in the last 3 years

finti
it was a joke

Cipher
Wouldn't there be more reason for depression among "believers"? After all, they have to measure up to standards that often run contrary to human nature. What if they don't match up to the ideal?

"Non-believers" have it easier because they can set their own, perhaps more realistic standards and goals.......

JimMorrison227
Yes, I am depressed because I don't belive in god..................Am I being sarcastic........nahhhhhh.

The Omega

Jackie Malfoy
I also ask you guys think because if you don't have god to believe in.Would it seened that life is not worth living?Just a thought!JM Got to go goodnight guys!

Dwarfdude
Alright, not quite sure what that was, but heres my interpretation.
But what is there to life but God, and praising God?

.........*Bitchslaps* Duh! Sex, Drugs, and Rock n' Roll!

tabby999
i find people who are all religious get all worried and stressed about having to not go to hell. i find that by not getting all stressed about living by cartain rules and living for the sake of seeing what happens in the future is much more enjoyable than spending my life trying to follow rules set in stone then having to go to church to get told how i'm gonnna burn anyway

Fire
Well I don't think so JM but I dunno much about this, since I have no scientific data regarding this subject, altho I'm sure some exists

ushomefree
Tabby999

Let's all play in interstate traffic and shoot 45 revolvers in the air! Who cares?

Fire
that's not what she said

Storm
Top neurologists, pharmacologists, anatomists, ethicists and theologians are to examine the scientific basis of religious belief and whether it is anything more than a placebo.
Oxford' s new Centre for the Science of the Mind is to use imaging systems to find out how religious, spiritual and other belief systems, influence consciousness.
The experiments will involve non-invasive simulation of burns and would be conducted according to strict ethical rules.They will simulate a burn sensation to see how people, through distraction or by accessing different strategies, can modulate and reduce the levels of pain.
While enduring the agony, they will be exposed to religious symbols such as images of the Virgin Mary or a crucifix. Their neurological responses will be measured to determine the efficacy of their faith in helping them to cope.

Philosophicus
If there was a God I would've felt depressed, for then there would've been no freedom and no room for creativity.

Fire
didn't you say you were gonna leave?

anywayz back on topic. I don't believe in god and I don't feel depressed

Philosophicus
If there was a God I would not have felt depressed, 'cause I would've disproven his existence anyway and he would've dissapeared into thin air!

Fire
what makes you so certain that you can disprove god?

Philosophicus
There can't be a god because if there were one, I would not have been able to believe that I was not him.

Celestialgirl
God does not take wawy freedom you just assume that he have to stop doing the things we love without choice but he does let us chose, I can worship God and do bad thingts of course god would want me to stop but he wouldn't stop loving me bcuz I didn't stop

DuronKiller
i believe in god... but that doesnt change anything about feeling more or less depressed for myself...

Philosophicus
DId no one realize I have just disproved god's existence with this: "There can't be a god because if there were one, I would not have been able to believe that I was not him."?????

finti
yeah what an impressive effort on your behalf roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Celestialgirl
pretty pathetic attempt I mean, like get a life. If you read the bible it says that we are not god bcuz we are the created

finti
but then again we actually dont buy what the bible says

Philosophicus
Celestialgirl, get a life yourself, the Bible is just a whole lot of history and some bullshit...oh, and nothing to do with God. The bible is someone's pathetic interpretation of God.

Celestialgirl
I wouldn't talk about my life and it has everything to do with God. And why don't you get a life I mean your the one who has emotional issues and I don't lie about being a teacher.

debbiejo
Everybody gets depressed at least sometimes. Knowing God does help.
It gives you hope that it won't last forever!!!!!!!!

Philosophicus
Well you believe in the lie which is everything in the bible! The bible is a lie and only fools believe lies laughing out loud

finti
only fools tell them too

Phoenix
My Biology teacher used to be a research scientist and she knew people who did research into depression, and it is true that although religious people are just as prone to depression as atheists, people with faith are more likely to RECOVER from depression

Phoenix
Calm down, Philosophicus. You might believe the bible is 'bullshit', as you so delicately put it, but there are plenty of people on KMC who truly believe in it, so please don't bash other people's faiths

Philosophicus
finti - "only fools tell them too" - very true!

phoenix - "My Biology teacher used to be a research scientist and she knew people who did research into depression, and it is true that although religious people are just as prone to depression as atheists, people with faith are more likely to RECOVER from depression"

religious people are more likely to recover from depression because they brain-wash themselves with divine potion of their own making.

debbiejo
Yes, because There's the bigger picture. yes

Trickster
Philo, I think you are attempting, for some reason, to turn this thread into a disproving of God thread. It's not. It was a question about the depression of people who have faith in a God and those who don't.

You have, as of yet, not made a single comment relative to the question.

In my personal experience, people who believe in a God are actually more prone to depression.

debbiejo
Philo lives in the box he has created.

Philosophicus
We all live in boxes we've created.

finti
some boxes are more narrow than others though

Philosophicus
well, get yourself a wider box, finti.

finti
mine is fine, spacefull and stuff. no closing walls here

Philosophicus
philosophy can be funny sometimes don't you agree? rolling on floor laughing I must admit my box is so damn spacious, I tend to get lost in it...maybe I should try to get a narrower one.

finti
then you got the wrong box so get the f*** out of my box cool

Philosophicus
It's so spacious...and I got lost again...can't find the exit. confused cool

Bowser jr
I'm not depressed and i don't believe in god. Only when something target has happened. Like a family member dies. Then i'm depressed. evil face smokin' beer devil

leonheartmm
generally people who dont believe in god generally either get high enough in life to not think about it much or have faith in other things, be it only themselves. very few if ANY actually accept no god or other beliefs at face value and the ones who do go through great misery.

Shakyamunison
A person can believe there is a God or not and that may effect how they feel, but someone who is not true to how they really feel will suffer. So, a person who is an atheist and is true to themselves will not feel depression because of it. On the other hand, a Christian who is faking his/her belief will feel depressed.

Captain Falcon
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Let me countune the question with this. Most people who are beliefs in god are less depress then people who have no god to believe in.
See you around!JM Happy Dance erm thinking that's interesting. hmm no. Just coincidence.

Darth Nepulis
Disagree. My grandfather is very religious but use to have hard-out depression even resulting in him attempting suicide.

Great Vengeance
*laughs* Religion is the CAUSE of depression you fools!

debbiejo
Well in many cases it could be because you can never measure up good enough............Besides you feel like you're missing out on the world, which god made and the bible condemns.

Captain Falcon
See you around!JM Happy Dance people that believe in god are delusional basically.

Black Rob
See you around!JM Happy Dance I'm depressed and i'm not religious,even though i think it's because of the alcoholism

leonheartmm
its a sad world indeed.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
its a sad world indeed.

The world will be however you see it. So, if you see the world as sad, then that is what it will be. If you see the world as heaven, in time, the world will be heaven.

The world is everything, so, depending on what you want to see, that is what you will see.

leonheartmm
the world is nothing, you are everything{and a lot of the times, everything isnt even close to anything worth mentioning} you make the world in your own mind, it doesnt really have anything to give you.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
the world is nothing, you are everything{and a lot of the times, everything isnt even close to anything worth mentioning} you make the world in your own mind, it doesnt really have anything to give you.

You are connected to everything, so, how you feel extends beyond you and touches everyone around you.

Shalimar_fox
i need god in my life.i can't see myself without him

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Shalimar_fox
i need god in my life.i can't see myself without him

You can never be without God.

Storm
There is no clear reason to believe that theists are in fact any happier than atheists. Even if we were to accept that theists are happier than atheists, that does not mean that we also need to ascribe the cause to a god.

ThePittman
I'm happier becasue I get my Sundays off stick out tongue

Kaled
Jackie your holding the stick the worng way.

People who believe in god can become upset or angry when someone commits blasphemy. how many wars in history have been caused becuase of Relgion? the world is going through the state where the human race is starting to not believe. Causing turmoil and strife. All the things going on in the middle east and other parts of the world, those with faith are in mesery because other relgions are being forced upon them. 9/11 was caused because of the belief that they should rule the world, relgion causes pain and suffering to all who believe.

this is the laughable thing about people. Your happy to believe something that isn't there, but when its staring you in the face, nope can't see it

lord xyz
Some people in this thread have been confusing delusions with happiness.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You can never be without God. Because It's in all things... big grin

Kaled
oh no.... not another god is everywhere confused its kinda eerie

debbiejo
But it is...........in all things.......even U..........

I'm god, why not.??

Alliance

No. If you have evidence please post it. If not....stop making random correlations.

debbiejo
God is in you too.

Alliance
Originally posted by lord xyz
Some people in this thread have been confusing delusions with happiness.

laughing out loud

Originally posted by debbiejo
God is in you too.

no expression

Kaled
no, no it isn't, or at least i say so. God is no more real than the tooth fairy confused

debbiejo
IT'S everywhere!! jump

It's just invisible.......

Alliance
no

debbiejo
Energy is everywhere, That's god, ya know....

Alliance
...no I don't.

Kaled
Energy is everywhere, That's god, ya know....

no, energy can be explained, this god cannot be. In this world there is no room for "god"

Alliance
How about in the bedroom?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Storm
There is no clear reason to believe that theists are in fact any happier than atheists. Even if we were to accept that theists are happier than atheists, that does not mean that we also need to ascribe the cause to a god.

That is almost what I have been saying in other threads before.

I am yet to see any proof an Atheist is incapable of having a life that equally, or even greater in terms of being happy, full, productive, memorable and all the rest. There just isn't anything to support it.

Nor that a Theist is going to be happy because they have a god. A fundamentalist isn't happy, and they think they are the closet to their particular God. Puritan orders often lack profound happiness. Some young people of many religions feel isolated, incapable of meeting stringent rules, might feel confused of fearful of things strict religious parents tell them is bad. Adults as well devlope unhappiness at the thought of unworthiness, or that they are falling short. Or they let hate and prejudice into their lives because their faith tells them to defend against another faith, or group of people etc.

An Atheist of a theist can be happy. An Atheist or Theist can be depressed. Maybe for different reasons. But the happiness or depths of despair of one group is not greater or of a higher order then the other.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Kaled
no, energy can be explained, this god cannot be. In this world there is no room for "god" In string theory it can be.

Kaled
theory? i use facts, only then can you be certain, guess work is ok when its small, but when wars are started over such things there cannot be any mistakes.

Lord Urizen

You clearly do not know what you are talking about no

Alliance
In string theory it can be.

ARGH. SRING THEORY DOES NOT JUSTIFY GODS!

debbiejo
It justifies something else that we cannot yet say though.. big grin

Alliance
No.

Kaled
It justifies something else that we cannot yet say though.. big grin

no, its a very illogical way of trying to make something illogical seem truthful. i'm sorry i'm not brighter its just i'm having real trouble sleeping lately so i'm a grumpy git sad sorry

debbiejo
There's a big blob and it likes us.....

Alliance
Thats may be your religion, but its not the religion of string theory.

debbiejo
Well according to the Science Channel it is a theory that there is something of intelligence behind it all.

Alliance
Thats incorrrect.

Read Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. Its a great pop version of string theory and its one of the books that has had the most profound impact on my life.

Kaled
Well according to the Science Channel it is a theory that there is something of intelligence behind it all.

Intelligence and insanity.. its amazing how often they get mixed up and confused with

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alliance
Thats incorrrect.

Read Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. Its a great pop version of string theory and its one of the books that has had the most profound impact on my life. Are you trying to make me an Atheist?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Imperial_Samura
Are you trying to make me an Atheist?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Alliance
No. Make up your own damn mind, but do so based on correct fact.

The Elegant Universe is widely considered the general public's best access to String Theory.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
You say that like it would be a bad thing. big grin But but I'd have to give up my unusual thoughts......I wouldn't be special anymore....

Oh, and Alliance, I do know some of my theories. I read so many damn books I get em mixed up.........But I know it was some quantum thing... smart

Alliance
If you were so scholarly, you'd remember stick out tongue

debbiejo
If you were so scholarly, you'd remember stick out tongue Not necessarily........It depends what phase the moon is in......

Is this the depression thread???? confused

Alliance

debbiejo
laughing out loud

I have that effect on some people.......

Alliance
Obviously.

Imperial_Samura
big grin But but I'd have to give up my unusual thoughts......I wouldn't be special anymore....

Oh, and Alliance, I do know some of my theories. I read so many damn books I get em mixed up.........But I know it was some quantum thing... smart

Grand Unified Theory?

And Atheists can have unusual thoughts. Look at some of the Athesit philosophers.

Alliance
No TOEs or GUTs in this thread please big grin

Imperial_Samura
No TOEs or GUTs in this thread please big grin

Which is a request I am happy to obey in this case, since I agree.

Alliance
ninja

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.