Could this be possible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

frodo34x
First of all, this situation is assuming that time travel is possible.

If you created a time machine, then travelled back a short while, could you destroy the machine you were creating? When you destroyed it, you would never have gone back in time to destroy it. Which would mean that it would still exist. Which means you would go back in time etc.

What do you think would happen?

The Inkeeper
if you destroyed it then it wouldnt have existed for you to use it, therefore the whole incident would be erased.

The Inkeeper
but then, if you couldnt have used it to travel back, it wouldnt have been destroyed
which means you would travel back to destroy it
which means it didnt exist but it must have and now my brain is melting

Filth
Simply by traveling back in time you would course a paradox but that aside if you destroyed the time machine you would destroy your self and time its self.

On a side not albert instine proved that time travel would only be possible if you could travel the speed of light, he also proved that traveling at light speed is imposable

Gregory
It's always been my belief that if you went back in time, you couldn't actually change anything. You could do stuff, and what you did would effect how things happen, but you couldn't actually change anything, because by the time you go back in time, you've already made all the changes you're going to make. Don't know if I explained that very well.

The Inkeeper
You did stick out tongue

peterKSL
I have a theory of "time travel" but not really time travel because it won't affect the past, at all.... that of SUBSTITUTION of oneself instead of real time travel... some technology that can process the thoughts of memories into virtuality(might be created in the future) since technology is advancing so quickly as everyone expected...

Dexx
well..first of all...just by considering that time travel is possible, you jump over the very arguments that would solve this kind of situations.
that is why time travell is theoretically impossible...YET. period

SlipknoT
Yes it is. You need to go 88mph in a Delorian

Dexx
err..wait..how old did you say you guyz were? wink

Bardock42
No Slipknot is right, it works that way.

Evil Dead
completely incorrect. ........for two reasons.

1. It's theory.....nothing has been proven.......there may be umpteen other methods of time travel never imagined.

2. It would only apply to travel to the past. Travel to the future is scientific fact. It does not concern the speed of light. We humans have already traveled seconds into the future. I suggest you do some reading on the subject. Time is relative. All that is needed for forward travel is the means to move a great deal faster than those around you........which has been done numerous times on space missions and even coast to coast flights......albeit only fractions of a second instead of the seconds of time travel gained from space flight.

p.s.

I don't believe in time travel to the past. no such thing. there is no past.......the past became the present. I am sitting here in my computer chair in 2004.........this prevents the lump of mass known to you as Evil Dead from existing anywhere else, any time else. The way you speak of time is an illusion. Year, day, month, etc........not real. Those are simply man made units of measurement to place events in sequential order. In the natural world, time is merely a dimension that prevents two pieces of matter from co-occupying the same coordinate of space.

frodo34x
If we could travel back in time, we would be overrun by time travel tourists.

Napalm
Dont forget your hoverboard laughing out loud

miahera
big grin you almost described the Grandfather paradox. this theory basically says that by cancelling out an event in the past that would impact your life in the future, you will not exist doing it. ah the confusion. "did you make a time machine?" "I thought I did but I guess not." laughing

peterKSL
haha... miahera you watch too much movies...but you are quite right... As far as I know, we are living in a world of possibilities, and I'm quite sure that as long as we have a choice to make, every little things can change the future...

eleveninches
if you went back in time and killed your own grandfather, you could still exist, but you would just need to become your own grandfather

Ytaker
No, he said that it requires a near infinite source of energy. If the universe is multidimensional (at least 4) Then you can get an unlimited source of energy. No matter how many 3D cuts you took one, it would still be the same size. As soon as we are able to breach the dimensional walls, we can exceed the speed of light.

miahera
stick out tongue don't take that paradox name literally. they made a song on that: "I'm my own grandpa." anyhow, if the grandfather is blood related and got killed off, you will not exist - there might be a substitute in your stead like grandma marrying someone else and having kids.

moviejunkie23
dude are you serios man laughing
that specific sperm that made it to your grandma and made it to that specific egg are you saying you would prduce that exact same sperm?
I am not even going to mention the fact that the offspring of them made specific decisions resulting in your birth depending on decisions on how they raised your parent. If you alter how they were raised you are also altering the possibility of that offspring meeting their mate that produced you.

I think rather what would happen in my opinion is that if you somehow went back in time and killed your grandpa you would exist because you are just specific physical matter that was able to warp itself into a previos place in the past. though the future of the world you are in now your birth will never happen.

but thats just fun talk

i agree with ED time travel to the past is nonsense.

peterKSL
By the way, how would you be sure that if you time travel to the past everything would still be the same?? It was just assumed that everything would happen the same way again.... doesn't mean that it will confused

miahera
now don't get mad peterKSL for this other movie mentioning big grin This was sort of what Butterfly Effect was about. recall the quote "one flap of a seagull's wings would be enough to alter the course of the weather forever." this was an idea brought up in a Science publication a number of decades ago by an Edward Lorenz. yes everything isn't going to be the same all the time when even the miniscule change is made.

even those e-mails talking about being nice to one person having a chain effect elaborates on that same principle. people often dwell on this when they say "what if I did this" or "what if I did that."

peterKSL
"mad peterKSL".. nice...smile I was just a bit unsure that if you travel to the past, people there would still have a choice? I mean they can still choose another path that is already chosen? Maybe I'm confusing myself, because since a kid I'm told that God ALREADY knows our future...(I'm a christian)..... so as to say that we can only experience present and not the past??? Because if we would go back in time, then people might/will make another choice, and another future thread will be present to us.... lol?

miahera
As you are Christian and you believe in God, then you should also believe that God specified he is giving you a CHOICE, which contradicts the concept of fate. In the same principle, if you believe in God, then time travel should not be possible for the same reason you said - that going in the past will logically affect others and possibly change their outcome including beliefs in a later date.

leonheartmm
actually, what u are saying can never happen{well i dont think so anyway} because i think that ur future is predestined{actully that is scientific fact}, and ur factual or scientific FATE would never have a loop
in its linear path. because if it did have a loop, then that future of ours would not exist in the first place, and u cant exist without a future already existing in a coming time.

leonheartmm
i would explain it better with diagram but i dont have a scanner

peterKSL
The word predestined...... I myself thought about it and I think we can actually see the future by making a graph of hierarchy.... graphing all possibilities takes about 3 decades I think... and you can actually see which road or which path that you are experiencing... isn't it cool?

leonheartmm
actually, graphing all possibilities is vertually impossible, there are too many paths which will come forward.

peterKSL
I know... that's why I estimated it to be created in about 3 decades.... but nothing is impossible as you know.... I mean for the future generations.... it's like people said... flying wasn't possible... by our ancestors....

leonheartmm
hmmmmm true but then i think that its far more difficult then travelling through time.

peterKSL
it's just like maths... nothing really hard actually... I mean if you encounter a problem, just do a graph... lol... I mean thinking is all about listing out possibilities... isn't it?

ShootingStars
omg how confusing... my mate tried to explain this and actually de-confused me (not sure de-confused is actally a word) for a while. *reads it thru again* oooook... im lost... bye

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.