Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
This movie is based upon the life of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal Barca, who in the third century B.C. (218 B.C., specifically) famously led an army of elephants through the Alps in an attempt to attack Rome. More specifically, this movie is being adapted from the novel, "Hannibal," by Ross Leckie about Hannibal.

When his father is killed by the Romans, Hannibal (Diesel), a young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage on the Mediterranean shore of North Africa, makes an oath of vengeance against Rome. Dedicating his life to fulfilling that challenge, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 committed to his goal, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by setting loose a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants. This movie shows how far a son can be willing to go to avenge the death of his father.

Vin Diesel advised The Times Online that he will soon be meeting with Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard about directing this historical epic. David Franzoni is set to write the screenplay for the movie who also wrote Gladiator and recently King Arthur. Diesel said that he is "really excited about" Hannibal and that he expects the film "to be amazing. We'll have battles, elephants..."

Lord_Andres
And Vinne is gonne fu(k it up, as he dose with every movie he is in, they shoulint alow noobs like Vin to get in these movies

Red Superfly
But n00bs love Vin Diesel you see.

WindDancer
Hollywood has become the slaughter house of storytelling historic characters. Troy, King Arthur, Alexander, And now Hannibal. They need to stop making crap and doing something original....if there is still something original to produce.

Drifter101
i dont know if it is possible to get any more original type films of that genre, well that other film "kingdom of heaven" seems somewhat promising, even though it has Orlando Bloom, the other actors involved may just give a good performance to make me forget that the guy over there is legolas

Cinemaddiction
Noobs like Diesel? He's been starring in major motion pictures since 1998. Of course, this criticism is coming from someone who has probably never seen "Pitch Black", "Knockaround Guys", or "The Iron Giant". I could defend Vin until I am blue in the face, but people's ignorance and apparent penchant for being "en vogue", hating him, are just too strong for anything I'd suggest.

Anywho, I'm not much on historical figures, but this could ultimately prove Diesel's thesbian range, and maybe get some of the prejudicial haters off his back.

Lord_Andres
He is an ass actor, cheese lines is his trademark, he not looking like the hardass i movies, he is looking like the dumbass, he is always the same person

RaventheOnly
So how plays Skippio? laughing out loud THe Roman who kicks Hannibals arse laughing out loud

Imperial_Samura
What? What? The are letting Vin Diesel play one of the greatest historical figures ever? A great man, tactical genius? What? This is a travesty in my eyes. As a history student I am horrified.

Personally the story of Hannibal and the great Scipio Africanus is one of my favorites, and while I have noting against Vin, I shudder to imagine what could go wrong, the ruination of a great tale, much like the ruination of Carthage by Scipio The Younger and his troops....

manjaro
i know Vin Diesel has got that Whole Raspy voice going, but he's gonna come off as lame and third rate as the rock in the Scorpian King. you know, the ethnic looking guy in ancient times with an American accent?

Imperial_Samura
Sigh. Quite probably true. All the movies I have ever seen him in, he doesn't have a great range of accents "This is my tough guy" - "This is my tough guy with a heart" "this is me not being a tough guy, but you couldn't tell, because it sounds the dame as my tough guy and tough guy with a heart"

I think they should go another way entirely. Personally I would like to see Ian Mckellen as Scipio, even if he is a bit older then Scipio would have been, but eh, Hollywood will take plenty of liberties as it is.

Lord_Andres
I would like Denzel Washington to play this role, he would have been perfect for the part

KharmaDog
Denzel in not enough of a hard ass. They need a real hard ass mofo to play Barca. The book by Leckie was great. The film will probably be mediocre.

manjaro
when all else fails all the have to do is get an actor who alread has an accent or at the ver least one who has had extensive training. cuz action movie acting is way different from the true art

HEMLOCK
if someone can pick the rock to play a southern sheriff
in a movie,then vin can play an historical figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
give vin a chance,you don't know what he can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rohanspear543
Scipio's father or uncle should be ian mckellen caus scipios uncle and father got hurt in the battles that hannibal lead like cannae i think his uncle died and he rescued his father.

eXSBass
Two words: Anthony Hopkins

ragesRemorse
Cheese lines are not his trademarks. the cheese lines are the writing of the the script. Vin diesel is soley an action star. Just like arnold, stallone, and willis of there era. Diesel is an action star of this era. Action stars always play the same character. They are being hired to portray that badass image. If you expect any more from an action star then you are expecting to much. Vin is actually a decent action star, he can understand a character, though he cant do to much to illuminate that character on film, he is still aware.

cal31
Last time I checked Hannibal wasn't black. You say Vin Diesel only plays a tough guy with cheesey lines, yet you probably love Arnold, Stallone, etc. When will this type of ignorance end?

<<Solo>>
Word. I have to admit, I was saying that Diesel was horrible long before I saw Knockaround Guys. Which was a great movie.

cal31
Have you seen A Man Apart Solo? I thought that was his best job acting.

ragesRemorse
as was man apart and pitch black, and even the boiler room

rohanspear543
anthony hopkins could be good.

lau_timmy
Looks like another gladiator movie. Someone who plots to revenge his father's death against the Romans. Just like how Maximus wanted revenge on the emperor Commodus for killing Marcus Aurelius and his own family.

lau_timmy

Lord Shadow Z
Vin Diesel's got a brain? When did this happen?

If he really has a degree in some intelligent subject (I heard this from my mother) then why doesn't he act like it instead of being paid solely for his muscles moving around hitting people and firing guns.
Yes, that was also what actors like Arnie and Stallone and Van Damme did but they are action icons and Diesel pales in comparison to them.

SaTsuJiN
and naming himself diesel is so damn corny.. he really needs a new nickname, although I did enjoy chronicles of riddick .. that was fun
I just think it would be great if played like the role of a paladin or some really complex character that has an inner turmoil.... the whole swinging guns around and bombs going off is lame IMO

lau_timmy
The Battle of Zama would make this movie terrific. Hannibal has about 45,000 total infantry but just 4,000 cavalry. Scipio's infantry numbers are just 35,000 infantry and 6,000 cavalry. Both armies were drawn up in three lines, with the cavalry forces on the flanks. Scipio had the major advantage here. Hannibal had elephants and a larger army

Losty
cant wait for this movie even if Vin plays him, they should of got me to do it but I guess Im to hardcore for the fans Happy Dance

Morning_Glory
Vin Diesel movies dont excit me anymore banbored

Losty
thats why I should of played the part Happy Dance

sexyking
Well check again because he is black. I don't want an inaccurate film because someone cant accept a black war hero if his black let someone black play him if his white let someone white play him. Hollywood shoud stick to facts.

slow
Diesel can't simply carry a movie men! The guy doesn't sound real. He sounds as if he's reading his lines or somethig, maybe that's not too bad for an action movie or a sci fi where he's just plain annoying (*cough* *cough* Riddick...ulous) but a historical movie. This is supposed to be a portrayal of reality with the usual hollywood twist. D. Vin isn't just real enough for me.
(ps: when will hollywood stop casting Americans, nothing personal, in roles of other nationalities.Jungle book, the scorpion king etc. sheesh. Well i guess we can pardon it for the reason of entertainment and making money)

Lord_Andres
When did I say I like arnie?????????? NEVER! I like stallone in Rokcy, thats a masterpoice, every movie fan knows that, rambo was good, specially thr first one, Victory was also very good, Vin diesel is a wannabe, he thinks he is cool, but I can clearly see that he aint

lau_timmy
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) --- Although nothing is set yet, and although he's cut the budget from $200 million to $50 million, Vin Diesel remains determined to star and direct in an epic about a elephant-riding conqueror of 3 B.C.
" 'Hannibal' is forever haunting me on the horizon, waiting," Diesel tells Zap2it.com about his own personal passion project. 'Hannibal' is at the summit of the Alps right now, calling my name."

The action star has talked for years about doing a biopic about the young general who crossed the Alps on elephants to attack Rome.

Before studios nix the project as another big-budgeted "Alexander" failure, Diesel whittled the budget down and is now trying to get the project started.

KharmaDog
They could never make an epic like that for 50 mill. Better to shelf it than make a bad movie.

King Burger
Agreed, Hollywood should stick facts, and get a white
actor to play him.

Hannibal came from Carthage, in modern-day Tunisia, a city
founded by colonists from Phoenicia, modern-day Lebanon.

Last time I checked, Tunisians and Lebanese (who look
alike anyway) are NOT black! They are olive-skinned
caucasians, similar to Italians and Greeks.

Getting an actor of European descent would be much closer to the
real Hannibal (physically and ethnically) than a black (or even
mulatto) one.

King Burger
(Originally double post. Ignore it.)

RZA
Well, first 'Troy', then 'King Arthur', then 'Alexander' and now 'Hannibal'. Looks like hollywood is looking to revisit every single notable ancient character ever known. Hannibal is an interesting choice seeing as he ultimately does lose. The truth is the Romans defeated the Carthaginians 3 times, the last time actually burning Carthage down when it seemed like they really posed no threat at all to Rome. These wars were referred to as the 'Punic Wars'. The idea behind casting Diesel as Hannibal is prob because they feel they needed someone strong to play the part, after all Hannibal was a barbarian just like Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun. The difference is that Hannibal was also a cunning general and somewhat of a military strategist who had learned from his father's previous mistakes. So he was smarter than the other barbarians. After all, he was the first to introduce tanks into battle. Yes tanks...elephants of course. Btw, didn't we already see the elephant thing in Alexander? Do we really need to see it again?

Anyway, I'm all for movies that depict ancient battle scenes especially when they're done right and especially when they involve the Romans. But that being said, it looks like hollywood is still trying to recapture the magic that it found with movies like "Gladiator' and 'Braveheart' and while these movies did rely on some historical accounts most of it was based on fictional and original storylines with very involved character plots. I'm also wondering if Diesel can pull off a complex character like Hannibal. Judging from what he did with Riddick, I just don't think he can bring the needed humility and human side that a person like Hannibal requires. Diesel seems to only know how to play the badass but nothing else. In comparison when Russel Crow played the role of Maximus, he not only depicted him as a badass but he also made you feel for him as a person. Same thing with Mel Gibson and his portrayal of William Wallace. Diesel is just no where near this level of acting yet but he may surprise me, who knows.

King Burger
Originally posted by RZA
The idea behind casting Diesel as Hannibal is prob because they feel they needed someone strong to play the part, after all Hannibal was a barbarian just like Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun. The difference is that Hannibal was also a cunning general and somewhat of a military strategist who had learned from his father's previous mistakes. So he was smarter than the other barbarians.

Sorry RZA, but Hannibal WAS NOT a barbarian!!

Hannibal came from the nobility of Carthage, which was a city
older than Rome itself. A city founded by Phoenicians who
come from one of the oldest centers of civilizations (ancient
Canaan).

RZA
^^Yeah, I'm aware of the ancient history behind Carthage. You do realize that all that was well before the arrival of Hannibal or even his father Hamilcar. In fact this Phoenician empire was destroyed and rebuilt many times during its history. They did live beside the Romans for many years until the Romans completely destroyed it and burned it down during the last Punic war, when it seemed they posed no threat at all. This was also well after it was sacked by the Gallics-a tribe of barbarians. Anyway, I'm not contending that he didn't have royal blood in him or that he didn't have true Carthaginian ancestry or that he wasn't considered a member of Carthaginian nobility, in fact I'm almost positive he was. I remember that the Romans always referred to him as a barbarian but then again the Romans referred to everyone back then who wasn't under Roman rule or control as barbarians, especially one who was their sworn enemy.http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/smilies/cartoon/erm.gif

lau_timmy
A 50 million dollar budget isn't the largest amount for a movie of this scale, but perhaps it will help Vin stay away from the Alexander/Troy blockbuster movies. Those movies have their place, but if it is a historical accounting we want, maybe a tighter budget will keep the story in check.

bilb
Originally posted by WindDancer
Hollywood has become the slaughter house of storytelling historic characters. Troy, King Arthur, Alexander, And now Hannibal. They need to stop making crap and doing something original....if there is still something original to produce.

Man, aint that the truth. And to add insult to injury we get Vin 'ieven a deal with the devil could not provide me talent'? You guys sure this isnt a horror flick?

lau_timmy

lau_timmy
I wouldn't want Diesel to direct it. They should choose Ripley Scott due to his direction of Gladiator, which was scripted by the same screenwriter David Franzoni. I' ll be fine if Ron Howard signed on since he is in talk to direct it.

K Von Doom
They'll ruin this story just like they did to "Troy" and after reading the synoposis for "Kingdom of Heaven" (which I was looking forward to), they'll ruin that as well. Which is a pity seeing as Hannibal is the greatest field commander ever.

king_arthur

Filmmaker451
I don't like them putting diesel in this especially as the main character but cinderella man and the da vinci code look really good and I trust that ron howard will make this a good movie but kingdom of heaven/troy/king arthur good not braveheart good which will never happen in a million years. By the way I still didn't see gladiator. Got to see that already!!!! mad

K Von Doom
Much as I like Hannibal the general, I don't think it'd make a particularly good movie because he won every battle he was in, the only one he lost was the final one at Zama. It's usually the reverse with Hollywood - keep losing so as to make the star an underdog, then win at the end.

Zilverz
WTFFFFFFFf ?!?!?!?! Chronics of Riddick is one of the greatest scifi movies in recent years. Pitch black was awesome .. and im pretty sure Fast and furiest made a shit ton of money as well. Even A man apart was great. So what if he isnt well rounded for character roles and accents. Someone has to play the tough guy in movies .. and he fits the role physically and verbally

jeandylon
hi i would like to suggest you this cool site where you can download movies / games / music online! They reviewed the best download movies sites online, i saved time and money with them and i found most of the movies (including kingdom of heaven!) i was looking for!

the url address is EDITED FOR SPAM

bone_collector
At least let's hope that the director is going to learn from the mistakes of others and try not to do them again. ( Alexander, Helen Of Troy, Spartacus)
What's next : Cesar, Cleopatra, . What historical moment's didn't they shit on.

botankus
Since Wilford Brimley turned down the lead role, Vin Diesel was a disappointing second choice.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by lau_timmy
This movie is based upon the life of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal Barca, who in the third century B.C. (218 B.C., specifically) famously led an army of elephants through the Alps in an attempt to attack Rome. More specifically, this movie is being adapted from the novel, "Hannibal," by Ross Leckie about Hannibal.

When his father is killed by the Romans, Hannibal (Diesel), a young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage on the Mediterranean shore of North Africa, makes an oath of vengeance against Rome. Dedicating his life to fulfilling that challenge, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 committed to his goal, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by setting loose a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants. This movie shows how far a son can be willing to go to avenge the death of his father.

Vin Diesel advised The Times Online that he will soon be meeting with Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard about directing this historical epic. David Franzoni is set to write the screenplay for the movie who also wrote Gladiator and recently King Arthur. Diesel said that he is "really excited about" Hannibal and that he expects the film "to be amazing. We'll have battles, elephants..."

Not again...

Lord_Andres
Well Zilverz the thing is, that we or at least i dont want to see his kinda of char in movies alright, Fast and furiest, Pitch black, omg can it get any worse?????? oh and not to forget this guy had lead role in that crap I see everyone trowing in the fire called xXx and that other one called Chronicles of Riddick, what a pile of crap, and now he is MAKING Hannibal, most likely one of the most looked up to tactician ever

RZA
So is this still being made?

I heard that their is another Hannibal movie being made with Denzel in the starring role. Anyone else heard about this?

RZA
Damn, nobody can give me answer on this? confused

Patient_Leech
Resurrecting this thread just for fun...

I was suddenly reminded of this movie recently. I remember it being a big dream project for Vin.

I guess it ain't ever gonna happen at this point... I wonder why it fizzled out. Certainly he could convince Universal to fund it at this point, since he's done a fu#k-ton of F&F movies.

riv6672
Son of a-

I thought this had finally gotten green lit! laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
Sorry to get hopes up. I haven't even thought about it in at least 10 or 12 years.

I just wonder why it went totally quiet. Maybe Vin gave up on it?

riv6672

Khazra Reborn
Unless it's a highly stylized re imagining of history, I seriously doubt any studio would want Vin Diesel playing Hannibal.

Surtur
I've only ever enjoyed him in Riddick. Oh sure there are movies besides the Riddick movies that I enjoyed that he was in, but his performance as Riddick is the only performance of his I liked. I could not care one way or the other about his fast and the furious character.

Oh wait I liked him as that mobster in "Find Me Guilty".

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
I've only ever enjoyed him in Riddick. Oh sure there are movies besides the Riddick movies that I enjoyed that he was in, but his performance as Riddick is the only performance of his I liked. I could not care one way or the other about his fast and the furious character.

Oh wait I liked him as that mobster in "Find Me Guilty".

Ja, Find Me Guilty is good.

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Ja, Find Me Guilty is good.

I liked him in KNOCKAROUND GUYS. Fun, underrated movie, really.

jWVZ49E-vz8

Kazenji
On the Vin Diesel topic, I've seen that there's plans for a sequel to The Last Witch Hunter regardless of what people might have thought of it.

riv6672
^^^I rather liked it, so, good news for me!

Kazenji
I thought it could've been alot better.

riv6672
Cool. thumb up

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
On the Vin Diesel topic, I've seen that there's plans for a sequel to The Last Witch Hunter regardless of what people might have thought of it.

Seriously? Source please. I do see an IMDB page for it..

I just watched it (and realized I fell asleep for much of it at the cheap theater) and it's certainly sort of a guilty pleasure, but not really good by any stretch of the imagination. I did enjoy some of the visuals, but it's mostly crap otherwise.

Jesus, he'd better not waste time on that before filming the next Riddick. F#ck I'll be pissed if he does...

Edit: Shit, it didn't even do very well... BoxOfficeMojo.

Worldwide: $146,936,910
Budget: $90,000,000

That's not very good at all.

Surtur
I wanted to like the witch hunter movie, but it sucked.

He should do some Riddick tv series for Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Seriously? Source please. I do see an IMDB page for it..

I just watched it (and realized I fell asleep for much of it at the cheap theater) and it's certainly sort of a guilty pleasure, but not really good by any stretch of the imagination. I did enjoy some of the visuals, but it's mostly crap otherwise.
l.

https://collider.com/the-last-witch-hunter-2-update-vin-diesel/

riv6672

Patient_Leech

riv6672
Now this we agree on. The last one got back to PITCH BLACK level fun, and I want another!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.