New age religion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr_Famous
anyone follow this? what the heck is it anyway? can anyone define what they pray to and all that?

MornGlory
huh

Darth Revan
http://www.religioustolerance.org/newage.htm

JLRTENJAC
Hmmm... If all is god... and god is good... then what is evil? Is it god too? but if that is true then How is god good? This new age stuff is one huge Paradox.

cking
yep, here is the slogan, "all is god and we are god."

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JLRTENJAC
Hmmm... If all is god... and god is good... then what is evil? Is it god too? but if that is true then How is god good? This new age stuff is one huge Paradox.

The true nature of God is not good or bad. Good and bad are not real, these are judgments that we make. What is good to you my be bad to someone else.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The true nature of God is not good or bad. Good and bad are not real, these are judgments that we make. What is good to you my be bad to someone else.

I agree..what we call sin are just titles we put on our judgements.....and from what I've read about the New Age Religion...it goes pretty well with the aspects of some quantum theories.....and Metaphysics...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
I agree..what we call sin are just titles we put on our judgements.....and from what I've read about the New Age Religion...it goes pretty well with the aspects of some quantum theories.....and Metaphysics...

The same can be said about Buddhism and it's over 3000 years old.

cking
the true nature is god is good and never evil. think of the word God=good.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cking

Well then, try this... god, dog, isn't that incredible?

cking
oh yeah, I heard that from somewhere.

Shakyamunison
oh yeah, I heard that from somewhere.

OK, one more... nowhere now here...

cking
ok, give me another one.

Shakyamunison
ok, give me another one.

I can't think of any more + we are off topic.

cking
ok

debbiejo

God is the creative force in this world...neither good nor evil...Since we are part of what that Entity is, we are also a creative force, one that can interact with other creative forces including the invisible one.....good and evil are terms we come up with to describe choice in others creative decisions...If there is no Satan, then who makes us do evil, or wrong...

debbiejo
The New Age Spirituality is unlike any religion in the world. In fact, it is not even classified as a religion. It encompasses the beliefs of many different paths from a melding of the Eastern and Western philosophies with a belief that all are one and part of everything that is providing an eclectic approach to spiritual, philosophical, and emotional exploration. The social concepts draw on ancient teachings on matters of spirituality, holistic care, concern for nature, and metaphysics.

The roots of the beliefs can be found in Shamanism, Celtic Traditions, Wicca, Theosophy, Magic, Alchemy, Rosicrucianism, Transcendentalism, Neo Paganism, Occultism, The Cabbala, Hermetics, Anthrosophicalism, Spiritualism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judiasm, and Gnosticism to only name a few. There are no set texts, clergy, formal organization, dogmas, or rituals, as there really are no limits or bounds to what one may or may not believe. "New Agers" tend to create their own techniques and way of living. Some typical practices that are associated with those on a new age type of path would be holistic healing, meditation, channeling, crystals, divination, astrology, metaphysics, herbology, aromatherapy, energy work, mysticism, and raising one's vibrational levels to help with self realization and an awareness of consciousness.

Legend Of Chibi

Would you LIKE to be killed? Does everyone else LIKE to be killed? roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's about everyone being happy, that's what good is.
If you like making others Unhappy then they won't be happy, and nobody will LIKE you.

It's all about everyone being happy and that's why people like it, so it isn't JUST a judgement, It's more than just that.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Legend Of Chibi
Would you LIKE to be killed? Does everyone else LIKE to be killed? roll eyes (sarcastic)

If you like making others Unhappy then they won't be happy, and nobody will LIKE you.

It's all about everyone being happy and that's why people like it, so it isn't JUST a judgement, It's more than just that. Are you saying that only Christians can be happy and have a "happily ever after?"

Shakyamunison

It's all about everyone being happy and that's why people like it, so it isn't JUST a judgement, It's more than just that.

If what you say is true, then no one would ever give there lives for a higher cause. There are people who have willingly gaven their lives to save other people (people they love).

debbiejo
Others besides Christians can do sacrificial love for another....yep.

Legend Of Chibi
If what you say is true, then no one would ever give there lives for a higher cause. There are people who have willingly gaven their lives to save other people (people they love).

Like the Bible states, put others lives above your own. If you sacrifice yourself for others then you are obviously doing something good because it's making someone else happy.

Shakyamunison
Like the Bible states, put others lives above your own. If you sacrifice yourself for others then you are obviously doing something good because it's making someone else happy.

Now you are contradicting yourself. big grin

debbiejo

You are in contradiction.....Non christians do the same....

Legend Of Chibi
Did I ever say non-christians didn't? Good exists and isn't just a judgement, that's my point.
I think that if you keep an open mind about god existing then he is more likely to let you in heaven than if you say he doesn't exist..

debbiejo
Did I ever say non-christians didn't? Good exists and isn't just a judgement, that's my point.
I think that if you keep an open mind about god existing then he is more likely to let you in heaven than if you say he doesn't exist.. Pauline doctrine that is taught in most all churches..and distorted says...What then?

A non believer what?

tragic mulatto
Paul did not distort Christianity. Nor, Peter or any followers of Jesus.
I will admit alot of pastors/Priest do distort Jesus message. Alot of them dont teach about the Kingdom of heaven. Most Priest/Pastores do a good job .

sonnet
Pauline doctrine that is taught in most all churches..

Oh, you mean the gospel of Jesus Christ.

debbiejo
^ NO...the gospel according to Paul the gnostic......You know, the one that contradicts the OT and Jesus....That one.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by sonnet
Oh, you mean the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I don't remember that one. Let's see, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
I think they left that one out when they put the bible together. laughing

debbiejo
Mathew mark luke John Jesus, Atlantis, 1-2 Cor..1-2 John...blah Jude.....HEY JUDE DON'T MAKE IT SAD TAKE A SAD SONG AND MAKE IT BETTER.....la la la la...

sonnet
I don't remember that one. Let's see, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
I think they left that one out when they put the bible together. laughing
Wow.... and here I thought I could have a actual conversation with people who knew what they were talking about ......

debbiejo
You could of quoted mine....at least I sang....LOL

But you are in a New Age thread....why don't you like them, and find them heretical.

Shakyamunison
Wow.... and here I thought I could have a actual conversation with people who knew what they were talking about ......

You need to get a sense of humor or time out.

But then again, insulting me is what Jesus would have, or am I wrong about that?

debbiejo
Actually from what I've read about New Age, they seem to love creation more than most Christians...they take care of it and all the inhabitants of it......

sonnet
You need to get a sense of humor or time out.

But then again, insulting me is what Jesus would have, or am I wrong about that?
I did not insult you but you seem to rather makes jokes when you have nothing better to say. And Jesus would not have insulted you either so do not insult Him either. I do not insult your faith.
You very well know that the Gospel is about Jesus Christ and not a book in the Bible. If you expexted me to have a laugh with you at the expence of something that is dear to me, well think again. I have a sense of humor but know when it is appropriate. I believe you do to.

Shakyamunison
I did not insult you but you seem to rather makes jokes when you have nothing better to say. And Jesus would not have insulted you either so do not insult Him either. I do not insult your faith.
You very well know that the Gospel is about Jesus Christ and not a book in the Bible. If you expexted me to have a laugh with you at the expence of something that is dear to me, well think again. I have a sense of humor but know when it is appropriate. I believe you do to.

So I don't know what I am talking about... This is not meant to be an insult? You have a strange way of being nice to people. You should not be on this forum if the subject matter is to close to heart. I use humor to keep things light. If I cannot joke about something, then I need to understand why, I need to chant (pray) about it. We are all growing and this forum can be a place were ideas meet, not fight.

Wonderer
God simply is the great unknown of existence...the essence of what the universe is...the eternal nothingness...that we can't explain...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wonderer
God simply is the great unknown of existence...the essence of what the universe is...the eternal nothingness...that we can't explain...

Well said!

I know nothing, and I know it very well. laughing

debbiejo
I already knew that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
I already knew that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

You know nothing... stick out tongue

debbiejo
Yes I do....

Shakyamunison
Yes I do....

Then you know God, for God is the nothingness.

Now lets see some Christians wrap there brain around that. laughing

debbiejo
Oh NO...nothingness again........I am confused.....Look I said "I am" again..... blink

markie
Originally posted by Mr_Famous
anyone follow this? what the heck is it anyway? can anyone define what they pray to and all that? Spider man?

markie
^ NO...the gospel according to Paul the gnostic......You know, the one that contradicts the OT and Jesus....That one. I think you said one time that jesus was a gnostic. Now paul was a gnostic?? They must have been from different sects.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by markie
I think you said one time that jesus was a gnostic. Now paul was a gnostic?? They must have been from different sects.

Jesus was not a gnostic, but Paul was, I think. Sometimes Deb gets a little keyboard happy and likes to get the Christians up in arms. laughing

But thanks for pointing out her mistake, lets see what she says. big grin

markie
Originally posted by Mr_Famous
anyone follow this? what the heck is it anyway? can anyone define what they pray to and all that? New Age is a derogative term for the revival of ancient pagan religions. Some of the new age religions I think bear little resemblence to their ancesters but somebody on another forum said that's what they are. I really don't think they are new religions but a mixture of old religions.

markie
Jesus was not a gnostic, but Paul was, I think. Sometimes Deb gets a little keyboard happy and likes to get the Christians up in arms. laughing

But thanks for pointing out her mistake, lets see what she says. big grin I ddon't think either one of them weree and I don't think paul contradicts jesus but itt hhas beenn interpreted wrong and it makes it appear like he did.

debbiejo
Originally posted by markie
I think you said one time that jesus was a gnostic. Now paul was a gnostic?? They must have been from different sects. Yes, Jesus, I believe was more an Essene...different type sect.

sonnet
Originally posted by Wonderer
God is not nothingness, He is a spiritual being with personality - love, kindness, anger, and so forth.

sonnet
So I don't know what I am talking about... This is not meant to be an insult? You have a strange way of being nice to people. You should not be on this forum if the subject matter is to close to heart. I use humor to keep things light. If I cannot joke about something, then I need to understand why, I need to chant (pray) about it. We are all growing and this forum can be a place were ideas meet, not fight.
Maybe I was being sarcastic just like you were about the gospel of Jesus Christ. If you were insulted, I apologise as it was not my intention, I was rather disappointed that you would take that route of joking/sarcasm. As for the forum, there are many people here whose religion is a matter close to their hearts. There are also people to whom the whole concept of religion is a joke and it seems as if they expect everybody to be like that. Well now you know, my religion is not a joke and not something I joke about because there is a fine line between joke and blasphemy. I know religions differ and for some people joking about it is ok, but that does not mean that everybody has to laugh about it to display good sense of humour. Yes this forum is a place were people can express their views on religion whether it be their own or other religions, not meaning that we all have the same view or will accept other views.

Storm
The label "New Age" is a vague, catch-all term applied all manner of modern spiritual, paranormal and religious beliefs. Just about the only thing they all have in common is that they do not derive from biblical traditions, which of course leads those who belong to the orthodox or fundamentalist wings of those biblical traditions to treat anything New Age as satanic and evil.

The name itself is derived from the fact that many movements which can be categorized as New Age regard themselves as being on the forefront of a general societal trend which is moving towards a "new" age of spiritual development. In this new age, old religious dogmas will be abandoned and entirely new superstitions adopted.

A great many New Age ideas are derived from Eastern religious traditions, like Hinduism and Buddhism. An important principle of New Age philosophies is that it simply does not matter if those philosophies or if any of the underlying principles are "true" or not. All that matters is if a person' s behavior improves and if the person grows spiritually. It is because of this that people who count themselves as part of the "New Age" are able to tolerate any belief or doctrine except skepticism. For them, to be skeptical is to be without hope - hope of personal improvement or hope of spiritual development.

The New Age is about a new type of society for the future. In this society, all of the current problems will have been resolved and all people will live in brotherhood and harmony. There will be no more religious, political, or class differentiations.

There is some question as to just how long the "New Age", at least as it is currently understood, will be able to survive. One problem is its lack of central organization - without institutional backing, it can be difficult to survive as society changes. Another problem is the fact that the New Age has borrowed heavily from science - not methodology or principles, but rather words and superficial understandings of a few ideas. Science, however, has progressed while the New Age has been stuck in the past. The further science develops, the more quickly the New Age interpretations will fall apart.

Zarathustra
Trying to fit this sentiment into Christian thought, particularly Catholic, is a fool's errand.
Paul, the Gospels and Saints Augustine and Benedict, to name only a few, declare fairly clearly that plenty of things that would make people happy are sinful. It makes people happy to fornicate and overindulge themselves eating and drinking, but those are precisely the sins Augustine works so hard to overcome as recorded in his Confessions. It makes people happy to accumulate great wealth and seek pleasure with it, but the gospels say that a camel passes through the eye of a needle more easily than a rich man through the gates of heaven, and that you can only serve one master: god or money.

Insomuch as "happiness" can be rooted in worldly things, being happy is most certainly not what "good" is about for Christians. Happiness in and through god, without any basis in material goods: that might be accurate.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Trying to fit this sentiment into Christian thought, particularly Catholic, is a fool's errand.
Paul, the Gospels and Saints Augustine and Benedict, to name only a few, declare fairly clearly that plenty of things that would make people happy are sinful. It makes people happy to fornicate and overindulge themselves eating and drinking, but those are precisely the sins Augustine works so hard to overcome as recorded in his Confessions. It makes people happy to accumulate great wealth and seek pleasure with it, but the gospels say that a camel passes through the eye of a needle more easily than a rich man through the gates of heaven, and that you can only serve one master: god or money.

. OH, and don't forget all the Bishops and Popes, fornication's and over indulging was truly a blasphemy against the word of god.

Zarathustra
If you expexted me to have a laugh with you at the expence of something that is dear to me, well think again.
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure the laugh at your expense, not at your religion's. The whole dispute stems from you apparently being under the impression that Pauline doctrine is contained in the Gospels. Paul did not write any of the Gospels. Your bible contains Paul's point of view in his letters to the Romans, Corinthians, Galatians etc. An account of some of the things he did is in The Acts of the Apostles. None of these things are the Gospel.
So, before you take offense on the account of the Bible, try to get a better grasp of what's in it.
OH, and don't forget all the Bishops and Popes, fornication's and over indulging was truly a blasphemy against the word of god.
I would assume you're trying to imply that many Bishops and Popes have been hypocrites? It's difficult to tell, but if that's so you're going to have to work harder to offend: Erasmus was pointing these things out 500 years ago, and even St. Jerome, a contemporary of Augustine's, mentioned many hypocrites within the clergy.

debbiejo
I would assume you're trying to imply that many Bishops and Popes have been hypocrites? It's difficult to tell, but if that's so you're going to have to work harder to offend: Erasmus was pointing these things out 500 years ago, and even St. Jerome, a contemporary of Augustine's, mentioned many hypocrites within the clergy. Many were hypocrites...They had the money, they had lovers, children, they were bought people....AND yes many tried to point it out, just like today with many church leaders....That's why I think organized religions are not the best idea....It doesn't serve when you have a head of an organization...It's much better to serve the purpose of being spiritual and meet with like minded people.....

Zarathustra
It doesn't serve when you have a head of an organization...It's much better to serve the purpose of being spiritual and meet with like minded people.....
As I understand it, many Anabaptist sects were founded along similar lines. Heck, even Luther's theology conceived of the concept of a priesthood of all believers.

sonnet
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure the laugh at your expense, not at your religion's. The whole dispute stems from you apparently being under the impression that Pauline doctrine is contained in the Gospels. Paul did not write any of the Gospels. Your bible contains Paul's point of view in his letters to the Romans, Corinthians, Galatians etc. An account of some of the things he did is in The Acts of the Apostles. None of these things are the Gospel.
So, before you take offense on the account of the Bible, try to get a better grasp of what's in it.

You have not read back far enough in this thread that is why you have the wrong information. This was not a dispute about Paul or his letters in the Bible which I am very aware of is not a Gospel book in the Bible. I was talking about the gospel (the story of) Jesus Christ and certain people made jokes implying that I thought that there was a book called the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the Bible. As they know me well enought to know the depth of my knowledge of what is in the Bible they were making jokes at me and the Bible. When I replied to their jokes I was accused of not having a sence of humor. therefor I said that some things are not to be made jokes of and that because my religion and everything therefor that has to do with it is dear to my heart and I will not make fun of it or laugh at the jokes. Other people might not have a problem with it and that is ok for them.

debbiejo
God would be above jokes, men are not..

debbiejo
As I understand it, many Anabaptist sects were founded along similar lines. Heck, even Luther's theology conceived of the concept of a priesthood of all believers. Yeah, Luther loved the church, he just wanted to point out their mistakes, hoping they would accepted them and change, sadly it didn't turn out that way......The Anabaptist sects were quite different, they didn't stem from the reformation, as far as I remember....Their big point was that a baby need not be sprinkled at birth for their soul, but that one should make a decisions when older and knowing what they were doing....Their big thing was baptism, though they did branch off to the 7th day Baptists also, meaning that that meet on Saturday (The Sabbath) instead of Sunday, which was installed by the Roman Church...The date was changed at a council to Sunday.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.