resident evil movies yay or nay

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

moviejunkie23
i have always been a big fan of the resident evil games. Now with two movies out it is interesting to see how they look on film. Of course with any kind of movie adaptation there are changes wether it be comics games books or any other type of story. Do you think thye have adapted the story of resident evil to movie form well and why.
the more detailed the better.

eggmayo
Number one is a great film, I didnt really ever lay the games, so I cant compare them, and I havent got around to downloading number two yet.

Dazzler619
I would say that both films were good but I prefer the games more b/c it has more characters,monsters, and action

eggmayo
I never really played the game, so I wouldnt know.

moviejunkie23
yea egg mayo if you liked one check out two, its got the same feel basically and if i am not mistaken the writer and director of one is the writer and producer of 2

pr1983
terrible, absolutely terrible...

amateurish directing/writing

unneccessary characters (alice)

and the effects were nothing short of disastrous

if they'd copied the game bit for bit it woulda been so much better...

moviejunkie23
yea pr there is actually a resident evil script written by the man himself romero. It didn't work out between him and the film company because of some disagreement on the script so the project landed on Anderson. Read the script though sometime you might find it interesting, its floating around the web somewhere.
Yea I kinda struggle with the Alice character as well. She is like the center of both the movies and she is not in any of the games. And Leon who is in the games 2 4, Gaiden, not to mention his smaller role in veronica, and he is not even mentioned i the movies. whats up with that??
I liked the movies but it seems to be they just took the basic outline of the games and took it from there

moviejunkie23
Leon

dean7879
i didnt like the movies..crap in my opinion

moviejunkie23
if you either liked them or disliked them please state why otherwise it is just going to wind up as a "i think it sucked" "I think it was great," "the movie can kiss my butt" "i loved them"
and thats just kinda boring at some point laughing

Jennifer_Tilly
I liked them because of the way the zombies and lickers and Nemesis looked they are kick ass movies!!!!

BackFire
Big, big nay for me.

moviejunkie23
heres another major character of the games they wrote out of the movie scripts

Claire

pr1983
i knew romero was in at the start but pulled out, its such a shame he did, these movies had so much potential, but anderson ruined them.

cookie808
i love resident evil especially code veronica..i lost the game though
sad

dean7879
i didnt like the movies cos they didint entertain me...hows that for a reason?

tabby999
i didn't like the movies because when watching it i was going "now this will happen" then it happened "now this will happen" and it happend. of all the times i predicted the next thing, i got about 3 wrong.

Napalm
I hate those movies

moviejunkie23
i didnt like the movies cos they didint entertain me...hows that for a reason?

...................................................................................................
sorry man but i am wondering why anyone would care unless you give any reasons or contribute anything.

anyway

yea pr that is for sure it would be a whole otehr movie 100 percent if romero was on, i think thats a shame we will never know how it would come out. We have Land of the Dead coming out soon though that should be worth watching. you have a chance in playing res evil 4 cookie??
yea the plot anderson made was a bit predictable. And also he lost allot of the quirkiness that comes out of the games. There is some weird ideas in the games. odd but very entertaining. In the movie it was more of just a high energy action flick with zombies without any of the more wacky things and ideas the games had.
I have to say though the action was pretty good and scenes like the laser room were pretty golden.

Cinemaddiction
Like and own them both.

eggmayo
Im watching number 2 now, I'll have to get back to you.

eggmayo
Seems quite good, problem is the quality is all grainy... and I dont like how Milla just gets thrown into a wall and gets straight back up, I hate that in films.

MornGlory
i like the first resident evil movie - well i havent seen the second one yet -

liked the first one cause it has Michelle Rodriguez in it -shes cool

tabby999
havn't seen the second one, but i'll tell you when i do

Mane
Liked the first one.

Mane
YUCK! Possibly the worst actress I've ever seen. And shes waaay too manly to be attractive.

Milla Jovovich 1.) does a better job in this movie, and 2.) is gorgeous (her eyes are beautiful). drool

eggmayo
I dont like number 2, it has none of the cool qualities from the first.

I thought it had potential, with the end of the first film being a 28 days later style apocalypse... but it didnt deliver.

moviejunkie23
yea i don't know what it is about Michelle Rodriguez but i like her as well. I know shes not drop dead hollywood gorgeos or any of that but i think she has a personality thats easy to root for sometimes. I liked her in the movie pretty well.
Yea Milla is great too, but who i really like is the girl that played Valentine in the second movie. Wow she is enough to give me a small heart attack. haha thats my taste anyway.
Yea EggMayo I think the explanation they would give is that Alice has been enhanced by the T virus so if you throw her into a concrete wall it will barley faze her. Though I know what you mean i hate when movies do things like have the hero shot in the leg and then limp but then 3 scenes later he doesn't even have a limp anymore, pretty lame in movies sometimes.
Yea tabby let us know what you think after ya watch the flick big grin

eggmayo
I know what you mean... the Arnold Swartznegger (sp?) film Commando.
He shoots about 70 men with a machine guns, while dodging bullets grenades, explosions and ....everything else, whilst not reloading once.

moviejunkie23
yea you have to at least hand that to the resident evil movies, at least they run out of ammo laughing

eggmayo
Yeah, in the first film where they were in the room with all the pods... I think the licker broke out of one of them.

moviejunkie23
yea it did, and considering how fast that creature attacked that scientist guy at the start of 2 after thye opened the door back to the hive i think you can assume that was a licker as well.
I liked that thye put lickers in the movies but since thye added that at in the first one and they also did the dogs in the first one i was hoping they would add some more creatures from the game into the movie in number 2. Like maybe some infected crows like the game. Maybe it would be quite a stretch but even some infected giant spiders like the game would be cool too i think. There are also more varieties of t virus monsters they could have added but they just stuck to lickers dogs and zombies, and of course nemesis.
maybe if they make a 3 they will add some more i hope

moviejunkie23
heres another guy they can add that is from the second game
"mr x" he is one bad mofo

Evil Dead
I like both movies.......and own them both on dvd.

I'm not to fond of the "they're not like the games" statements in here. D'uh.......they're not like the games because they are not games, they are movies. It's comparible to people complaining about a movie not being the same as the book it was BASED on (notice the word "based"...not copied or recreated). They will never be the same because they are different mediums made to appeal to different audiences. If the makers of the RE movies just wanted to appeal to the RE gamers, the movies wouldn't have even made their money back. They must be changed to appeal to a larger audience to justify the cost of producing films.

I doubt Xmen would have been as good if the movies had taken place in a bright shiny world with bright shiny sets and characters running around in yellow/blue spandex.

I doubt Forrest Gump would have been as good if they would have made the character a foul mouthed racist like he is in the book.

If you don't like the movies because they're not like the games........fine, but don't complain about it. You are a video game fan of RE.....nothing wrong with that. You must however remember that movies are not made to make video game fans happy...........they are made to be enjoyable to a large portion of movie fans so they can recoup their production costs and turn a profit.

eggmayo
I've never actually played the games... are they recomended?

moviejunkie23
yes eggmayo highly , they are great games. They are some of the few games that actually try to add some sort of story to the gameplay. They usually have nice little mysterys and nice puzzles as well.

Yes Evil Dead i know what you mean and i don't disagree. Like you said about the x men how looney would jackman look with spandex laughing
and i agree if you made it JUST like the game you would have one main character walking by themselves for most of the film having barley any human contact except for a few cameos. That would not make for good filming. Even during evil dead 2 someone on the project told sam rami i don't know if i am comfortable with how long ash is by himself in this movie and it was only about the first 2/5ths of movie or so. Movies do well with character interactions. So yea having valentine walking around the city by herself for 45 minutes woudn't be as good as having a group together to try to survive for movie format. I realize that.
I talked to someone on here that is very upset they made spider man have organice web shooters instead on the machines. Well i read that stan lee was as well but then on second thought stan lee realized it would take too much time and be to awkward to have spider man doing that for film so he was satidfied that they didn't make it the web shooter devices. Well they changed it for the betterment of the film. thats ok.
But what i am saying is you can keep plenty of the resident evil goodness from the game and transfer it into the movie at a greater extent than they did. You have to make changes from game to script, granted, but how many changes is what i am getting at. What makes Alice better than Leon??? What would the problem in having a main character from the games as opposed to a character that is not even mentioned in the games whatsoever. Are you telling me it would be bad for a movie adaptation to have more of the video game monsters added in the sequel?? of course not. But all they have done extra besides zombies is the lickers and the dogs, you are telling me they coudn't put in another t virus monster in their? And they intoduced none of the regular "level monsters" i the second one at all. The more you bring things in from the game the better it would be. I will bet money they will never even mention the G- virus in the movies though it is a big part of the games and it would not be harmfull to a movie adaptation whatsoever. In fact allot of the things in the game i think would make the movies more interesting more exciting thus more profits for the company anyway!!!
The trick is to make a good adaptation and attempt to bring as much from the original as possible without making it unwatchable on the big screen. I liked both movies but i am not sure they have done that aspect of it as well as they could is my own opinion. I am interested when i watch a adaptation to see someone put as much of the original content as creativley as possible into the movie. Thats just me man big grin

tabby999
nah but in RE the game, you get mauled by the zombies and are limping your sorry ass away, barley managing to walk then get to a set of stairs, the character stands up, runs to the top, then stoops and starts limping again...dumbass

moviejunkie23
yea dude thats pretty classic, i think they must be magic stairs

BackFire
Yes, they're way better then the movies are compared to other similar products in thier medium.

SlipknoT
I would actually have liked that.

tabby999
because you want to see Jackman in spandex and lycra wink

moviejunkie23
well that would also apply to halle berry right????

tabby999
nah she'd just drive around running people over and driving off wink

Mane
I just saw Apocalypse. I liked it alot.

eggmayo
BF, problem is, I was under the impression that they were PS1 games, which for some reason dont work with my controller, or are there PS2 versions too?

BackFire
There is a PS2 version but from what I've heard it's crappy.

Also there are a few Gamecube versions.

I suggest you simply get a new controller.

eggmayo
Yeah... ATM Im using the PS1 controller... buts its shagged.

tabby999
kinda like playstation, buy an Xbox...not that i'm getting off topic or anything

moviejunkie23
no way man, code veronica on playstaion 2 is awesome. playstaion you have 1 2 3, wich are all good. On the game cube you have 0 and 4
there is a remake of one on one of them i am not sure wich console.
but yea i have not played 4 yet but i hear they madeallot of changes of game play to make it more like a max payne game from what it looks like. I hope thye just didn't cancel the great number of puzzles in the game sad

rolandbishop
I'm a big fan of the games, and when I watched the first resident evil, it was great. I mean I love how Paul Anderson, wanted to make it like a REsident Evil 0, a game that was never made. a prequel to the first game. Thats great. I mean alot of people were expecting it to be based off of the game, but admit it, we would all get bored, cause its the same story, and we all played the game. For the second movie, i was like WTF is this. The Umbrella Corporation was totally different from the first one. The second was more like an action, and it was terribile. Resident evil is not an action movie, its more like a thriller or horror or suspense. some where along there. WTH were they thinking when they made that movie? it sucked balls.

moviejunkie23
yea i am hoping number 3 has more goodies from the games big grin

gls
The remake is of the very first resident evil game and it is on the gamecube (very good game IMO)
RE4 has not yet been released but it will be in about a week (also on gamecube)

moviejunkie23
makes me think about getting a game cube. I think the other consoles are better but you can pretty uch any res evil game you want on the GC.
I would love to buy them all and just have a res evil marathon sometime rock rock rock

papabeard
NAY,NAY and Thrice NAY!

orenfan
I'm a huge fan of the game and I liked the first movie, loved the 2nd. Can't wait till the third.

moviejunkie23
cool kill bill sig man

BlackC@t
Loved the first, the second was even better happy

I use to own the first one but my brother stole it when he moved out and sold it on the internet.

The second one hasn't come out in my country yet, I'd buy it off Amazon it's just that I don't have any money to give to Dad because I use his credit card, and I've also spent all the money on his credit card too embarrasment

moviejunkie23
laughing
sounds like a bum deal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.