Does Anyone Hate Chuck Austen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
I absolutely despise Chuck Austen. He is one the worst writers to appear in comics. For some reason he is recruited to write a large number of comics.

Nathaniel Grey
Austen and Morrison. They might do well elsewhere but they weren't at all creative when they came to write X-Men.

platinumx
I hate him so much, I hope he blows his hands off in a terrible fireworks accident.

Draco69
I disagree with the statement about Grant Morrison. If anything, he was too creative. It took multiple readings to understand what exactly was going on.

pr1983
can someone tell me what they've worked on please?

ScarletSpider
Morrison did the brilliant run on New X-Men before reload. Although there were two factions about it. Those that liked it, those that hated it. However one must agree, Morrison is a good writer, unlike Austen, who turns out nigh unreadable tripe in every endeavor.

Austen has some great ideas at times, which is really too bad, because his execution of said ideas sucks something fierce. He worked on Uncanny before reload, and on X-Men afterwards, though he's left now, and Milligan (of former X-Statix notoriety) has taken over as of #166. Austen's scripting is shit, his characterization is shit, he survives only on the wings of talented artists that get paired with him (i.e. Larroca) and .25 cent promo issues.

While we're on the subject of craptastic X-writers, god, Claremont, retire already. You did great work...20 years ago. Now it's time for grandpa to get in the wheel chair, and never, ever, think about leaving it. If he never touched another writing implement in his life, the heavens would sing joyous praise.

Sage Tessa
I'd much rather read Claremont than Austen any day... tongue_ss
Even if he does say "totally" too much... swank

ScarletSpider
Yes, I'll usually take Claremont over Austen. One of Austen's main problems is, he can't write women at all. Now, I don't know, maybe he is some sort of sex god and women routinely rip off their shirts and throw themselves upon him, but on average, that doesn't happen to any man on the planet besides Hugh Heffner. Take his arc, King Hyperion on the Exiles. Carol Danvers/Warbird/Ms. Marvel/what-have-you, basically throws herself on top of him in a flurry of horrid sexual innuendos and entendre's. Then at some point her shirt is really ripped off and their relationship is...erm...consummated.

WTF Austen? That doesn't happen!

At least Claremont was good a few decades ago. Even if he is "Bootay totally spaz!" Now.

Sage Tessa

pr1983
that really happened?

thats a f*cking joke (pardon my language)

Sage Tessa
Sadly, yes... rolleyes1

Why not?
I have every other time... swank

pr1983
ouch, apologies tessa...

Sage Tessa
No problem, pr... wink

pr1983
ok... and call me paul...

ScarletSpider
Actually, She-Hulk shacking up with someone on a whim isn't so out of character, I direct you to the first few issues of her current series where she is, quite plainly, a massive party animal.

The real problem for that with me, was that it was Shulkie and Cain, she made a big deal in Heroes For Hire that she doesn't date Cons, when she and Luke Cage had a fling. Even if he was "reformed" Cain still had a long way to go, whereas Cage had been wrongly convicted in the first place, and was far from a crook. Also, the whole pseudo-intellectual thing was just a crock. "Yes, my beloved of 15 minutes, lets discuss politics and world problems while snuggling after a night of voracious meta-human love making."

Though we both find it to be crap for different reasons, it is crap all the same.

pr1983
oh its not the fact that she slept with someone, its the fact that it was cain marko...

ScarletSpider
In that instance yes, but in most other handlings of women, Austen does characterize them as psycho sluts.

pr1983
thats bad... really bad...

ScarletSpider
Yeah. Oh well, he's off to ruin greener pastures, as Marvel's changed it's policy and he feels that he can no longer work to his full creative output under said new policies. Good riddance I say.

pr1983
i think your right...

btw what new policies?

ScarletSpider
I'm not sure exactly, they're just reorganizing the company and stuff, so new rules came up, and old ones reinforced. Or it was just some crap Austen stated as his reason to leave. Eitherway I don't care, as he's gone.

pr1983
laughing then its all good

btw i looked for new invaders a couple of weeks ago but no luck, and now my dl site is shut down...

Sage Tessa
I have the first few issues on my computer...
I could make them images and then upload them for you... Paul...

pr1983
you are so sweet, but i don't want you to go through too much trouble sage...

Sage Tessa
If I have the time later, it will occur...
Touble? Perhaps. Worthwhile? Definitely. swank

pr1983
aww thx... if i used my buddy list u'd be on it...

anarchynerd
ah, now i see. ive been trying to find what all you guys' problem with chuck austen is for a few days now, cause i really enjoyed his run. now i think i get it.

seems to me that, when one of you replies to the idea of a female character being sexually adventurous with "that never happens!" you completely devalidate your entire arguement. fact is, get this: women are not all the same. a woman is just as likely to want sex as the rest of us, and women go about becoming involved with men in as many different ways as there are women. you imply that austen thinks all women are lecherous, but what he is actually showing is their versitility. a women can be strong and intelligent, and at the same time have desires, including ones of a carnal nature, that she may or may not feel ashamed of.

chuck austen shows the mentality of different kinds of people in different kinds of relationships that havent been explored yet in comics, and you guys chastize him for it. take a cue here. that show sex and the city became one of the most popular of its time because it showed us that we had the wrong idea of the female perspective. i personally dont care much for the show, but it goes a long way to illustrate my point.

i guess i forgot that my peers in comics view the world through different lenses. perhaps you fellas spend a little too much time reading writers you hate and not enough actually meeting women to base your interpretations on. some of them are actually interesting, multi-dimentional people. imagine that.

and to deny that grant morrison's new x-men was creative is ridiculous. morrison completely revitalized the whole x-universe by introducing countless new characters with enormous depth and scripting excellent plots that none of us saw coming.

also, how can you prefer claremont to austen? i read the full run of x-treme x-men consecutively, and was infinitely disappointed. talk about redundancy. i realize new readers come in every month, but he literally re-explains every single character's power in agonizing detail IN EVERY ISSUE. and unoriginality? he hit every cliche from his villain ending up a mind controlled former x-man to an entire storyarc built around a girl who hates mutants because they killed her family. how many times has that been done? how many times has claremont himself done that? ever hear of william striker? we get it. mutants are different, people hate them. its very apt, yes, but weve been hearing that story for 45 years.

thats why we need some young blood like austen and morrison. they break new ground by adding depth. they take claremont's original good ideas and build on them, adding social and cultural elements that go beyond superhero action, instead of just reiterating. what makes marvel comics great is that the creators had the foresight to instill their stories with elements that elevated them above simple action-based funny books. where once comics were a kids hobby, now they have a range on par with movies, tv, and traditional literature, the best examples of which are even more successful, in quality if not popularity. to badmouth our progressive creators only hinders the creativity.

i respect chuck austen's storytelling a lot, and its discouraging that other fans are so disrespectful as to cheer when he decides to move on. the only solace i have in austen's withdrawl is that it will be peter milligan who takes over, not just another book thrown back to claremont. but i suppose you guys probably hate a non-traditionalist like milligan too. i guess its true what theyve been telling me... people really do hate and fear what they dont understand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.