The New Avengers or Bendis' Dream Team

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Has anyone noticed that the New Avengers is largely comprised of the characters Bendis writes? By the way the New Avengers are Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), Wolverine, the Sentry, and some unknown dude with nunchukus (I think he's Daredevil in disguise). I am personally skeptical of this new team. If anyone has read the Secret War series, you'll notice that the same people are involved in it as well. There just seems to be an agenda going on here.

ScarletSpider
I'm skeptical as well, but the opening story arc hasn't even shipped it's second part yet. The first part was okay, and I figured, "well that wasn't the pile of tripe I thought it would be." So let's have Bendis finish his opening salvo, and if it makes a good impression, great, that's awesome. If it sucks something awful, then we can pick it apart some more, but at least we'll be fully informed.

If you want a Marvel team book that isn't permeated with Bendis' "agenda", I suggest New Invaders and/or New Thunderbolts, both great books, great teams, and interesting angles on the whole "team" deal. May take a while to figure everything out, but it's worth it, and this board is here exactly for that reason, for us to help each other and debate. If you are, or will in the future read those books and need help with questions, not to be self-congratulatory, but I'm your man.

Even though it sounded like crap at first, from the previews of it, Young Avengers is shaping up to be very good. in my opinion.

Lastly, looks like you're fairly new here, so welcome aboard, young padawan, and many merry posts to you!

Draco69
Thanks

ScarletSpider
No problem-o.

(edit)

So, just curious, what is on your monthy reading list?

SnakeEyes
Well, I am glad u asked Scarlet, the comics that i usually tend to pick up each month recently are Cable/Deadpool, GL: Rebirth, Jim Lee's run on Superman, some Dark Horse stuff, and I have the first issue of New Avengers... For the Ultimate books, i wait until the graphic novels come out to purchase them. wink

whobdamandog
I haven't purchased a comic book in about 5 years. They've become way too expensive. The only comic reading I do now is at Border's books. But I can still remember the gold old days.. when I could get a marvel age comic for 50 cents, and cover price wasn't above 75...Damb I miss those days...

ScarletSpider
Yup.

My pull list, currently is:

New Invaders
New Thunderbolts
New Avengers
X-Men now that Milligan's on it
Ultimate X-Men

Once they come out:
Young Avengers and Black Panther will be added to the list

I read many more titles a month, usually by borrowing friends stuff they pick up and etc. Dark Horse's Conan is great, I just picked that Trade up.

Paola
Avengers guys..... we have a 'Comic of the month' thread where you can talk about this ^

Havoc470
yeah i guess comics are pretty expensive.....no big deal to me, i do work so its not impossible for me to get the comics i want

anyway, back on topic, its both, its the new avengers because whether you like it or not it was published under the title "the new avengers" but its obviously the team bendis always dreamed of for story purposes and character development, i think its a cool team and i cant wait to see what happens

EDIT: im gonna make that thread, on comics being expensive

ScarletSpider
Sorry Paola!

I'm glad we've got a couple characters being dusted off and thrown into the spotlight, Spider-Woman, Sentry and Luke Cage. However, they're alongside big names like Cap, Iron Man and Spider-Man, so it'll sell and not be a total b-list hero convention. Part of it is favoritism on Bendis' part, but when has a writer not displayed favoritism? Nicieza, Busiek, PAD, Priest, they all do it at times. Bendis, in this instance, is just a bit more blatant about it. But as I said, I'll wait till this arc is over to praise it or tear it to shreds.

big gay kirk
I thought the New Avengers were Purdey, Gambit and Steed....

Havoc470
the new avengers is probably my second favorite comic launching off, i like all the characters i just hope bendis portrays them well, what im most excited about is this particular team fighting avengers-like enemies, IF bendis gives them the traditional crazy enemies itll be great to see spidey, wolvie, powerman, and spider-woman in that element, where as cap and ironman fight em all the time (dont know much about sentry's battles)

SnakeEyes
BUMP

ScarletSpider
Pay no heed to my previous posts, as of issue 4, it's turned to utter shit.

Draco69
It's weird that Iron Man didn't have defenses against the telepath or the Wolverine knew better than to get that close to Sauron.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.