Is pause/freeze time possible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

peterKSL
Since the theory time travel to the past seems possible, I mean why not freeze time? It just needs less speed, right? And when freezing time is possible, does that mean that we won't get old?

miahera
no, time traveling back has not been said to be possible. plenty of theories are attached to consequences of this going backwards, but not realistic possibilities of it ever happening. the idea of wormholes was one of those considered means.

and freezing time isn't exactly realistic either. the closest would be everything appearing slow to a person and even then, you still age. sad the movie Clockstoppers emphasized this a little bit.

MornGlory
no expression

Bardock42
well I guess if it was possible to go back i9jn time it should be possible to freeze or slow it too.

peterKSL
but a movie is a movie!!!!! I mean it is just a theory of someone.... how would u know??

Bardock42
wtf are you talking aboot? What movie now? What theory?

eleveninches
time can be thought of as being freezed whenever you want. However, since time. But when it is freezed, nothing happedns so we are not at all aware of it, and as far as anybody is concerned, it has never been 'frozen' at all.

peterKSL
sorry I didn't quote earlier, but I was talking to miahera

peterKSL
are you saying that if we freeze time we freeze ourselves? hmm...

eleveninches
if time were freezed, we would not notice anything until it started again, so we would not have noticed it stopping

Jackie Malfoy
I am guessing because it is one thing that can't be done.That we don't know how to do yet.Just like time travel.JM

Storm
Time dilation is a temporal effect on matter moving at speeds near that of light. It is an exponential effect, which means that it remains small for most of sublight speed, but becomes powerful very quickly when close to lightspeed. If one were ever to reach lightspeed, time would come to a standstill for them (to us), while everyone else would freeze (to them). Time dilation has been experimentally proven several times. By synchronizing two atomic clocks, then flying one for extended amounts of time in a plane of NASA and comparing its time reading with the stationary clock, scientists have discovered a dilation of a few millionths of a second for the airborne clock.

ragesRemorse
there is no such thing as time.

eleveninches
thats deep

peterKSL
If there is no such thing, you wouldn't even exist....

miahera
well the demonstration of the time travel was the movie thing, but time appearing slow if something goes fast enough itself is an Einstein theory (Theory of Relativity). but the relationship was to a stationary object like a clock with it's arm handle appearing to not move when in actuality it is.

GCG
Time is measured and has always been measured with our calenders. with the sun and the moon we have had the ability to measure time in seasons weeks, months, and days that all comes in a loop with seasons.

But if the world stopped spinning, we still have time passing by and we would be able to measure it through lunar revolutions. so i dont think that time freeze is possible.

but what has occured one time gave me a shiver; a weird feeling.

it happened on a wall clock (one of those with 3 hands: an hour hand, a minute hand and a second hand). as i was in the same room of the clock, i glanced at it to check the time........... and the second hand was not moving to what seemed like an eternity glance.................after i blinked, the second hand resumed its 'tick'.

did this ever happen to anyone ?

miahera
this was once illustrated in an Archie comic I read and after that, I had that same feeling. once. but I occasionally feel things move slower than it should when I'm unoccupied and bored.

peterKSL
Hey I have that experience too!!!! omg....

pr1983
happens to me constantly...

Bardock42
yeah to me too. ISn't that weird. not really.

peterKSL
Don't u ever think that there is a possibility that the future us? or generations to come ever travel back through time or mess with time?

Napalm
If someone found a way to pause time they would almost certain destory the universe If it freezes time he/she wount be able to stop it

frodo34x
Without reading all the posts (not enough time), I have a theory:
If you stopped time, none of your bodily functions would be haooening. You would not consciously have any awereness, or any way of detecting that it had stopped. In essence, time could be stopping all the (tries to think of a better word than 'time') 'time'

Storm
Maybe it' s better to speak of pausing/freezing motion/action than calling it time.

carnival_junkie
where has it been said that time travel to the past is possible?
seems a little hokey to me.

Tex
Einsteins general theory of relativity hypothesised that there are locations in the universe where time does not exist.

miahera
I must have missed that part. I know it has been scientifically shown that time moves slower to our own time clock on Earth. I think they say planets farther away from the source it revolves around (like the sun) has a longer period. they say that phenomenons like the event horizon on black holes actually would cause time to appear differently too.

leonheartmm
thats not because time stops or nethin, its cause ur brain makes monotnous things travel faster, but the first time u look at the clock{not expecting it to go ticking on and on monotonously for an eternity, ur reflexes and the amount of resources ur brain is usin for processin that info is greater and hence it passes slowly, givin u more time to study n understand it, but once it becomes monotonous, lesser resourcesw are used.

leonheartmm
time can stop, but if ur thinkin that people around u will freeze then that s just time stoppping around u{meaning that u are travelling at the speed of light} but time wont stop for u, if time stopped for u, u wouldnt feal anydifferent, u wouldnt even notice it.

leonheartmm
but u know i think that time doest really move at all, its just that we percieve it to be moving.

carnival_junkie
you know...
three consecutive posts are not required.
you could've just as easily have placed all three of those thoughts into one post and saved a bit of page.

leonheartmm
i could, but then again, my knowledge is superior to that of mortals so that gives me some leverages and advantages in public, one beeing the usage of as much space as i want unlike other mortals who are frowned upon if they do such a thing, lol. actually i wrote whatever came to my mind one after the other

Evil Dead
I missed that part of it.........with time being relative and all, how could we even theorize about time existing/not existing in part of the universe? Time is relative to us, where we are at the moment we are observing it (which means there is no past/future...if by some sci-fi miracle we traveled to 1923 it would be present, not past as we would be viewing it in 1923)............no matter what coordinate of space we were in, time would exist. Here's why:

1. The human body has several internal sources of forward motion (circulatory system, respiratory system, etc.). If we were to observe time (forward motion) not existing, our heart would stop and our lungs would cease to work.

2. We would not know if forward motion (time) didn't exist because we would not exist......as our human bodies depend on forward motion for survival. We would be dead and therefor obviously unable to observe this feat.

ShootingStars
it would not be possible to distinguish whether the 'speed of time' so to speak, has been altered. if time sped up, so would we, so it would just seem normal. again, if time was frozen, then we would be also. it could be possible but no one knows for sure

stringman
(New To Forum, But Perfect Place For Expression) I have a theory that encompasses all possibilities into one neat little package, its so complex to explain the simplicity of it. Me and my friend literally spent from 10 pm last night to 11 am this morning talking elaborating on the perfect ways everything falls into one. I'm actually serious when i say i think i know how it allllll works, because every possibility. i read the first page of this forum so far and everyone says the same things i've come up with, but not in the way that i makes sense to everything else every one is saying. if your open to any concept, tell me you'd listen and not argue and just listen to my observation. [email protected]. if you wanna email me, i'll share my thoughts on what me and my best friend compiled

chithappens
What is so hard about understand that time is a man made construct to give organization to things?

A minute is a measurement, just like an inch, but they are abstractions made up so that we may have ways to understand them.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chithappens
What is so hard about understand that time is a man made construct to give organization to things?

A minute is a measurement, just like an inch, but they are abstractions made up so that we may have ways to understand them.

So you think that length doesn't exist because we had to invent the inch? Would save me a lot of gas if that were true.

GGS
Wasn't there a theory that we've already happened basically our whole history etc. with something to do with the stars as proof damn i wish i could remember what it was.

chithappens
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So you think that length doesn't exist because we had to invent the inch? Would save me a lot of gas if that were true.

No. That can never be a direct metaphor because you can put down a ruler and actually measure that. There is nothing concrete about time.

I meant the inch and minute thing as a universal abstraction that people use to explain and "how long" it takes to do something or "how long" this object is.

Time, understood as people are trying to use it, seems illogical. Each instance I press a key is a moment in the "past." What I am about to type is in the "future." So the only way to have a "present" is to literally freeze time which is where it gets messy.

Evil Dead
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

length does not exist outside of the human construct. It is a term humans made up to describe a the distance between 2 coordinates on 1 dimensional axis of space-time.

a log is three dimensional. There is height, width and depth. Length being a term describing distance between two coordinates, it can be used by us humans on any one of those dimensions.

If humans do not exist, how long is the log in depth? It's not. It's merely a log. Without humans to manufacture not only units of measurment, the means of calculating by these units and naming the log itself..................all there is a piece of matter.

same goes for time. Any time someone discusses the subject, they should attempt to discuss it from the point of view that human beings do not exist to avoid the entaglement of human-made notions like measurements (past,present, future, day, week, month, year, etc.) that we are all so accustomed to.

leonheartmm
time as WEE see it is just PERCEPTUAL time. in reality time is just a dimension with no real direction{i.e as we perceive it from flwoing from past to future}. there is no point to FREEZING TIME. since WE wudnt be able to perceive it at all. infact time might have frozen and restarted millions of times, for millions of days each time and we wudnt know it hadd it all. basically, the flow of time itself may be just a perceptual illusion.

miss_swann
yes it is... put Apollo and Artemis to sleep... dur!

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by peterKSL
If there is no such thing, you wouldn't even exist....

There is a very good possibility that you and i both do not exist.

If there is a such thing as existence. I believe it is nothing more than an endless cycle and you cannot measure endlessness.

En Sabah Nur X
Since the theory time travel to the past seems possible, I mean why not freeze time? It just needs less speed, right? And when freezing time is possible, does that mean that we won't get old?

It is possible but extremely difficult to do and requires a lot of energy. It also is not very fair to do so, as you can get away with anything if you do that. I mean if you can rearrange matter energy and can stop time, you can do whatever you want to a woman and she won't recall a thing... or so you would hope laughing

Originally posted by miss_swann
yes it is... put Apollo and Artemis to sleep... dur! laughing

jalek moye
time doesn't exist, its a concept of how we explain the procces of changes

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by jalek moye

thumb up

En Sabah Nur X

That is true at any moment all that exist(s|ed) is the present, the various observers with relatively seemingly different times, are but mere diverging perspectives of the one true underlying block of space-time|existence|philosophy-stone... existence, is the one, the one and only thing, that cannot be denied existence for it then turns into an illogical statement.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by En Sabah Nur X
That is true at any moment all that exist(s|ed) is the present, the various observers with relatively seemingly different times, are but mere diverging perspectives of the one true underlying block of space-time|existence|philosophy-stone... existence, is the one, the one and only thing, that cannot be denied existence for it then turns into an illogical statement.

laughing You don't even know what a Philosophers Stone is, do you?

En Sabah Nur X
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
laughing You don't even know what a Philosophers Stone is, do you?

a rock a philosopher speaks to, an imaginary stone that he hopes will hold his dreams and hopes FOREVER together... and somehow keep him alive magically while all he does is philosophize... the god of philosophy, like the god equation, the god law, the god dream, the god architect, the god artist, all questions of the imagination for they are not real but imaginary in nature.

The god of imagination if everything is real let it all go, if everything is false then embrace it as true.

The question is who would win in a battle the ultimate philosopher of evil or GOD himself, a bet for his LIFE VS a fate worse than DEATH! I mean he could drop dead at any moment and all... but Can the philosopher keep doing evil and keep death forever at bay? That is, never pay the price of freedom? This is the resolution to the problem of the existence of evil and why evil people can get blessings after blessings in disguise... for they are 'free'.

Can logic, and through logic alone, prove death is illogical in nature, by using logic alone slay the eternal dragon, slay death? slay god?

Shakyamunison
a rock a philosopher speaks to, an imaginary stone that he hopes will hold his dreams and hopes FOREVER together... and somehow keep him alive magically while all he does is philosophize... the god of philosophy, like the god equation, the god law, the god dream, the god architect, the god artist, all questions of the imagination.

The god of imagination if everything is real let it all go, if everything is false then embrace it as true.

The question is who would win in a battle the ultimate philosopher of evil or GOD himself, a bet for his LIFE VS a fate worse than DEATH! Can the philosopher keep doing evil and keep death forever at bay? That is, never pay the price? This is the resolution to the problem of the existence of evil and why evil people can get blessings after blessings in disguise.

Then don't tie it to space-time. That was your mistake.

En Sabah Nur X
Then don't tie it to space-time. That was your mistake.

Well sadly physicists, some at least, have proven that spacetime is a block, a spacetime block(this is called blocktime) and the passage of time is but an illusion... present past and future are one and the same thing, there is no present but an illusion of it. Who am I and who ARE you to tell physicists what to do and what to believe in? BTW I also have about 5 years of advanced physics knowledge.

Shakyamunison
Well sadly physicists, some at least, have proven that spacetime is a block, a spacetime block and the passage of time is but an illusion... present past and future are one and the same thing, there is no present but an illusion of it. Who am I and who ARE you to tell physicists what to do and what to believe in? BTW I also have about 5 years of advanced physics knowledge.

What do you mean by "block"?

If you have five years of physics knowledge, then why do you persist in sounding like an uneducated nitwit? I don't mean that as an insult, because I believe you are doing it on purpose.

En Sabah Nur X
What do you mean by "block"?

If you have five years of physics knowledge, then why do you persist in sounding like an uneducated nitwit? I don't mean that as an insult, because I believe you are doing it on purpose.

Correct a block, like in a videogame, all the possible scenarios exist and you take the path you like within this maze, of course you have to be true to your self to move in it. Like a board game, but it resembles more a cube, see those movies(cube) you can get a remote idea of what's going on... Just one big collection of photorealistic gifs and arbitrary qualia|mirages|illusions. A hall of mirrors, there's only one being here... only one being exists the rest are lies... ALICE IS REAL... all the rest are memory rearrangements... a game.

jalek moye
Correct a block, like in a videogame, all the possible scenarios exist and you take the path you like within this maze, of course you have to be true to your self to move in it. Like a board game, but it resembles more a cube, see those movies(cube) you can get a remote idea of what's going on... Just one big collection of photorealistic gifs and arbitrary qualia|mirages|illusions. A hall of mirrors, there's only one being here... only one being exists the rest are lies... ALICE IS REAL... all the rest are memory rearrangements... a game.

what are you on about wacko

it seens like a speech from a bad video game

En Sabah Nur X
what are you on about wacko

it seens like a speech from a bad video game

called reality. Sad isn't it, but it does not mean one can't learn to control G8d it is after all possible to trap him here along with us, maybe that will change the fate of this sAd world... the god-function/alice is a living breathing function, and I know how to harness it... just start playing the evolved song of songs laughing

Girls are moving-dolls, functions of matter, trophies the biggest one is the god-mode trophy, but you can't take it by force it has to come|be-given to you!

Shakyamunison

But a game is just an analogy. What is going on is Karma.

jalek moye
*slowly backs out of thread*

En Sabah Nur X
But a game is just an analogy. What is going on is Karma.

True that is. But it can be viewed as a crazy girl called alice who controls all of reality and turns into various moving trophies called girls and asks which is better... and repeats that in a loop, that is how girls know you like someone or something else better even subconsciously.

The clue that gave it away was all the cake reference, as well as ALICE references, as cakes and girls are made up of the same substance in a different arrangement...

So long as you know it's just one girl behind it all it doesn't matter who you have at your side or if she 'dies' fakes death basically and pops again under a different name.

That is the basis of monad science.

Atlantis001
Time is "frozen" indeed if you are in the speed of light, but to reach the speed of light you need to be massless. So just light and things alike can travel at that speed.

Another situation where time is "frozen" is at very high gravitational fields, since we know that gravitational fields can also slow down time. Guess where you would have a gravitational field so strong time would be frozen ?

Black holes... how unexpected ! But time is only "frozen" when you are at the event horizon of the black hole or inside it. I mean if you entered the black hole itself. At the regions near the black hole time is just very slow, its not "frozen" exactly.

Of course, if you are thinking about experiencing consciously the time being frozen like if you want to stop time to not get old, then that is impossible. If you are frozen in time you won't be experiencing anything. Your brain is frozen. You can't have conscious experience if there is no time.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Time is "frozen" indeed if you are in the speed of light, but to reach the speed of light you need to be massless. So just light and things alike can travel at that speed.

Another situation where time is "frozen" is at very high gravitational fields, since we know that gravitational fields can also slow down time. Guess where you would have a gravitational field so strong time would be frozen ?

Black holes... how unexpected ! But time is only "frozen" when you are at the event horizon of the black hole or inside it. I mean if you entered the black hole itself. At the regions near the black hole time is just very slow, its not "frozen" exactly.

Of course, if you are thinking about experiencing consciously the time being frozen like if you want to stop time to not get old, then that is impossible. If you are frozen in time you won't be experiencing anything. Your brain is frozen. You can't have conscious experience if there is no time.

well consierering that time doesnt even exist it cant be frozen cool

i know what ur trying to say though, that everything stops changing and moving at all

En Sabah Nur X
well consierering that time doesnt even exist it cant be frozen cool

i know what ur trying to say though, that everything stops changing and moving at all

Those are states like frozen ice-cream, cookies, time, ice, etc, things can be frozen but you're correct there is no ABSOLUTE ZERO, so whatever happens movement goes on in one way or another.

If your brain becomes frozen all you have to do is carefully unfreeze it.... if god's brain becomes frozen it can actually vibrate at extreme speed like flash and unfreeze itself... eternal change through eternal changelessness, like a superconducting state... they exist at any reasonable temperature range but the higher the temp probably the harder to accomplish.

Atlantis001
Just to add.

What I said in my post is not simply my opinion, its what physics tells.

There are states where there are absolutely no time in physics, but these states are too difficult to reach and you can't be aware of them since consciousness requires time, so its like a paradox.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Just to add.

What I said in my post is not simply my opinion, its what physics tells.

There are states where there are absolutely no time in physics, but these states are too difficult to reach and you can't be aware of them since consciousness requires time, so its like a paradox.
im still gonna try to tell you that time cant be stopped since it doesnt even exist. but motion and change can be stopped i guess.

leonheartmm
True that is. But it can be viewed as a crazy girl called alice who controls all of reality and turns into various moving trophies called girls and asks which is better... and repeats that in a loop, that is how girls know you like someone or something else better even subconsciously.

The clue that gave it away was all the cake reference, as well as ALICE references, as cakes and girls are made up of the same substance in a different arrangement...

So long as you know it's just one girl behind it all it doesn't matter who you have at your side or if she 'dies' fakes death basically and pops again under a different name.

That is the basis of monad science.

1. if alice is who u define her to be, then it is impossible for YOU, her dream, to know so much about her

2. alice gave us sumthing unique in creating us, self definition, hence the ability to grow beyond the blueprint alice had for us, growth is a wierd property which is inconcistant with the very definition of a uniform "propert", hence we in ourselves are more than just constructs of alice

3. there is NO evidence for any of this, the only thing you have on your side is negetive evidence.

chithappens
This is one of the dumbest questions ever.

Grand_Moff_Gav
This is one of the dumbest questions ever.

Its really not...no expression

chithappens
im still gonna try to tell you that time cant be stopped since it doesnt even exist.

That is as far as this goes.

Deja~vu
I suppose one would feel chipper about the whole ordeal. eek!

Did someone say chippper? Wood chipper? confused

Grand_Moff_Gav
That is as far as this goes.

Something tells me physicists study this allot...but hell what to they know.

Even so I think the following questions are dumber:

Do animals have romantic relationships?
Anyone beat Contra NES without 25 lives code?
so if people are not "civilized" (in a "civil " culture) they act as animals?
Why does anyone even post in this topic?
Does anyone know what the troops are doing anyway?

chithappens
You seriously took time out of your day to go through old posts of mine and cite them without any sort of context...

I don't even have to follow that up with anything.

Grand_Moff_Gav
You seriously took time out of your day to go through old posts of mine and cite them without any sort of context...

I don't even have to follow that up with anything.

Indeed...took seconds.

Jack Daniels
hmmm maybe the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) activation can help answer some those questions or destroy us...lol...promoting that issue again...lol...everyone google the LHC! you have 16 days left!! honestly I dont think time can stop or freeze unless maybe...ahhh I just dont know

chewbacca_47
I once paused time while I was on a bus. I focused on both ends of my peripheral vision and entered a meditative state that made the entire world freeze for a handful of seconds.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by chewbacca_47
I once paused time while I was on a bus. I focused on both ends of my peripheral vision and entered a meditative state that made the entire world freeze for a handful of seconds.
hey i saw that happen on TV...was it star trek or charmed? oh by the way your answer may be coming in 12 days everyone google LHC large hadron collider!..lol

Grand_Moff_Gav
Why do you want people to google that?

AngryManatee
pause/freeze no. Slowing time down, though, is possible. Take speed.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Why do you want people to google that?
to find out there own info..not just listen to the drunk dude..lol...with my sig and avatar and username would you take me real serious?...lol...kinda why Im looking to change my sig a bit

cococryspies
You can't freeze time because time doesn't physically exist. Its just something we perceive.

I guess you could stop time in that you could pause the earth's rotation, which is our way of measure time. Like Superman making the earth rotate backwards. But that wouldn't actually make time pause or go backwards.

Jack Daniels
I gotta rent superman 1 again ...been along time..lol

Deja~vu
It happens all the time, but it is so fast that we don't comprehend it as happening.

Jack Daniels
well if time was to freeze I hope its while Im drinking...lolbeer

76qq309
you can not pause or freeze time because time does not exist.

Jack Daniels
its 4:19 got a minute...lol smokin'

don311
everthing stop except u

Shabazz916
nah bruh

Oneness
Since the theory time travel to the past seems possible, I mean why not freeze time? It just needs less speed, right? And when freezing time is possible, does that mean that we won't get old? I'd like to freeze the greatest and most meaningful moments in my life, my first kiss, buying my first house, my son's first words, in order to savor those beatific experiences a bit longer.

VrLE0EDes1k

Mindship
Originally posted by Oneness
I'd like to freeze the greatest and most meaningful moments in my life, my first kiss, buying my first house, my son's first words, in order to savor those beatific experiences a bit longer.Nice sentence.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Oneness
I'd like to freeze the greatest and most meaningful moments in my life, my first kiss, buying my first house, my son's first words, in order to savor those beatific experiences a bit longer.

Sense longer suggests more time, then wouldn't freezing time mean that you would have the same amount of time? It would just be a moment of no time that no one, including yourself, would notice?

If time stopped, and then a moment of no time passed before time starting again, how would we measure it, or even know it happened?

fcnsc
there is no such thing as time.

Rebel95
Isn't time just the movement of matter through space? Because the only way to track time is through movement. So if all matter in the universe were to stop moving, I guess you could say time would stop.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.