PSP vs. DS : Which Will Be Better?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Anybody wanna comment?

dave123
PSP

belly_jeans349
so far i played ds....and i think it sucks...psp looks lot better you dont have to touch the screen to do things, and i heard you getta nice sound system to it

DanZeke25
PSP

Red Superfly
I was expecting the graphics on the DS to be a bit better to be honest. Usually graphcs don't mean much, but I was given the impression they would be at least as good as the N64. It can be. The special effects are way out of the N64s league and more in line with the Gamecube, but the texturring looks blockier than the N64 stuff and more pixelated.

General Kaliero
Y'know, graphics aren't everything. And let's remember that we still haven't seen the PSP in action.

The DS' innovativeness is its biggest asset. As long as they provide new ways of playing games, the DS will do well. I can't wait for Warioware DS.

Also, as with all Nintendo systems, the DS has Mario, Link, and Samus behind it. And let's not forget the rumors that Final Fantasy games might be brought to it...

Red Superfly
I DID say "Usually graphics don't mean much, but.....".

I was just expressing the fact I was actually rather dissapointed with the graphics.

My biggest concern is the lack of an analogue stick. I played Mario 64 with the touch screen thumb-thingy and even though it feels very cool and modern, it doesn't offer GREAT control in my opinion. Could have done with a solid analogue stick.

I'm gonna wait and see what Warioware can do, that to me sounds like it will use the DS features properly.

And just so you know, I couldn't give a crap about the PSP, so I'm not being biased or fanboyish or anything.

belly_jeans349
ive been hearing lots of people saying the psp will suck down your battery power but i want to know how the hell you know that? no one has played one before. Everyone just believes what they hear in those nintendo magazines, you should believe what u know. i wouldn't bother even buyin DS, 2 screens? touch screen? was someone drunk thinking of this?

Red Superfly
Actually the two screen with touch screen idea is the best thing about it. Hopefully Warioware will show off just how good the DS can be.

And the information about PSP having crappy battery life comes from the PLAYSTATION magazines, who have actual stats and machine demos to go on.

General Kaliero
Indeed. Surprisingly enough, belly jeans, we DO know what we're talking about.

And I agree, the DS should have had an analog stick. It took way too long to get the hang of Metroid: Hunters.

belly_jeans349
oh well i dont know, i was just hearing people saying they read it from nintendo magazines.

eleveninches

Samas-adian
But its soo defective that its not worthwhile to purchase.

JKozzy
was someone biased to the PSP or what while writing that? Defective? How so?

ZomBiE_HunTER
Its really too early to tell but from what im hearing about the psps in Japan being defective I dont know whats gooing to happen to the US ones.

ragesRemorse
I think the PsP will be the better system, but i highly doubt it will be able to conquer Nintendo's fanbase. Remember the sega saturn was technicaly better system than N64 and Ps1. N64 was ultimately a better system than Ps1, but Ps1 suceeded because it was new and produced diverse games. I havent played PsP. I have played Ds, it is nice and the touch screen innovation is neat, but i think people are going to want somthing new in the hand held world. If sony makes wise choices on the games in the birth of the PsP then i believe sony will be able to go toe to toe with nintendo in the handheld world.
However, ds being cheaper and having a better track record and it's own little cult foloowing, sony is defenaintly the underdog. I think the price will kill it to be honest

Red Superfly
Wrong. Sega Saturn was technically inferioir to both the PS1 and N64.

You are right about the N64 though. Easily the best first generation 3D games console ever created but the Playstation was more popular.

The thing is - remember Nintendos strangehold on the industry when it had the SNES? What happened when Sony brought out their machine to challenge Nintendo? Everyone said Sony would fail, but instead they took Nintendo's massive share and have continued to keep it. Nintendo were the kings of home consoles, and Sony toppled them.

The very same thing could easily happen with the DS and PSP. Sure Nintendo have a monopoly at the moment, but everyone thought Nintendo would be the kings of home consoles after the SNES. The Nintendo DS could end up being the N64 all over again. Nintendo didn't learn their lesson with the Gamecube and have proven to be utter garbage when it comes to marketing. They make excellent games and deserve to win or at least equal Sony, but I honestly think Sony's PSP is gonna pull a Playstation all over again.

Samas-adian
I dont think PSP is going to topple the DS. PSP is not very innovating at all, there is no library of games for it and Sony is venturing into an uncharted territory.
You cant compare handheld Nintendo to its counterpart in console business. The problem with the N64 and Gamecube is that they didnt have a huge library of 3rd party developers that Sony had. It was just lack of games that screwed those two systems over.
The DS doesnt have that problems. Alot of devolopers want to makes games for it and use the technology that DS has that no other handheld has. Also, people can also play every SINGLE handheld game ever made for Nintendo on the DS.
I think a tad bit of competition is good for the industry and i hope both stay aflout so we dont see crappy systems or games being made because somebody has complete control of it.

Red Superfly
It was also due to the fact the Playstation could easily be chipped and have games copied pretty easily. Pretty much ALL of my friends who bought a PSOne bought one because "teh games are cheapez cos of copiez!!!11!!1". With the N64, the games were hard to copy and expensive. Despite the quality, people wanted quantity. The PSOne offered pure quantity over quality. Sure it had the odd gem, but for every Metal Gear Solid, there were thirty crap games.

And I welcome the competition. About time someone challenged the Gameboy. The prices for those games are ridiculous and most of the games are utter crud.

dark1365
PSP has constant disc scan, which drains the batteries damned quick. You get like, four hours of play time.

JLred
I heard it shoots out the disk on the PSP........whoah.......

Zen2nd
I dont think PSP is going to topple the DS. PSP is not very innovating at all, there is no library of games for it and Sony is venturing into an uncharted territory.

Didn't Sony in the past used(borrowed) a quote to help boost sales

'If it ain't broke,why fix it?'

Leon s.kenedy
I think that the PSP has good games like Final fantasy... however the DS has good games too like Metroid Prime..

ragesRemorse
I think Nintendo marketed the gamecube very well. The gamecube for all intents and purposes is a success. I think Nintendo was brilliant in the scheme of things when it came to the Gamecube. there are two reasons why the gameboy could fail. One is becuase of the sudden rush in handheld systems, gameboy advanced and gameboy advanced sp, people might be yurning for somthing new. Another aspect in the potential failure of ds to the psp would be the games released. That is what killed N-64. The psp is being deveolped for an older audience, this has been admitted. Ten years ago, you could not target a system to a demographic of 20-30 years olds. today you can, becaus 20-30 year olds are the core gamers at this point. older gamers want simplicity and substance all in one.

there are many more reasons why the PsP would fail over the Ds. Seeing how ds wil have the jump on release, and also already is outmatched by the following nintendo has, it would be hard for Sony to become a staple in the handheld universe. However, i beleive if the PsP is released without any bugs, and a decent selection of games, then PsP could reign supreme. It is all about games in the handheld world, not so much performance.

General Kaliero
I might be more willing to support the PSP but for the battery life.

The defects are off-putting, but Sony has always had a large group of 3rd party games, and that won't change for the PSP.

But despite this, the battery life ruins it. four hours of battery life is barely going to get a Final Fantasy game started. Considering that gamers nowadays typically want longer games, I'll bet that the battery expenses will go a long way toward killing it.

Rhino
that was the same thing i was thinking!!
-everyone knows the psp isnt really innovative, there is no need to re invent the wheel in handheld gaming, afterall nothings wrong with 1 screen, and i dont need a pen to play great games. For those ppl that dont like the psp's battery life, the batteries ARE rechargable. four hours is not a lot if u wanna play a lot of Final fantasy but i don't really play games that long...

SaTsuJiN
DS - Much more creativity possible from developers due to the stylus capable touch screen.. Long battery Life and already classic properties of nintendo

ZomBiE_HunTER
For once I actully agree with you^^^^ big grin big grin

belly_jeans349
i have a feeling its going to be like it was when gamecube was vs. playstation 2, everyone was thinkin that gamecube would be better but it turned out gamecube is still having trouble making money so now they're making it where you can buy it with a free game, nintendo is getting really desperate. ps2 on the other hand is still selling ps2's easily.

Samas-adian
Battery life kills handhelds. Game Gearand the the atari handheld had horrible battery life and it killed the systems.
Rhino, just because you can recharge them doesnt mean anything. Gamespot did a test with the PSP and found out that playing a game like Ridge Racer or any other grapicial intensive game with the wireless function you get around 90 minutes of battery life and upwards to 2 hours. So if you play the game for a plane trip thats 5 hours long, you would have to recharge it twice and half. Wow, sounds great fun to me.
Zen2nd - that mantra if its broke dont fix it doesnt work because Sony has never done a handheld system before.
I feel that you cant compare handhelds to consoles.

JKozzy
The DS's battery is quite impressive, I can go for... I don't know. Awhile, without recharging. I'll keep track sometime, but it's definately good.

Robo-Chocobo
I have ps2....I refuses to play my DDR game ever since it caught me in a 3-some with the X-Box and Gamecube.

First off, no one knows where the FF games are gonna go. they could release high graphic mature ones in the X style on the PSP, or they could release something more new and innovative on DS. who knows, they may even get it to look dreamcast good.

2nd, the DS has higher graphical capabilities than the N64. compare the original mario 64 to the new one.

3rd, watch out for flying game disk's if your importing a PSP.

4th, I don't remember the N64 failing.

5th, I'm interested in how long the battery life (now tested since it came out in japan) actually is. from what I've heard it varies per game.

6th. franchises make the console. consoles need a single launch title that is almost revolutionary to games. that's why the gamecube AND PS2 had trouble when launching.

SNES had super mario world, the N64 had mario 64, microsoft had Halo(hey, it was the first console shooter since golden eye to get it right) the original ameboy had tetris.

the real problem for both these hand helds is that NEITHER of them have anything"revoultionary" or anything that has a really cool neatness factor.

porting mario 64 was a nice idea, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. the only game that's actually unique and fun to play on the DS is "XX/XY feel the magic".

the PSP isn't any better.

JKozzy
The DS is getting the one and only remake of Final Fantasy III, the one that never hit the 'states officially.

Plus, the PSP isn't out here yet. Way too early to tell. Hopefully the defects will be fixd within the next few months, and we'll get brand spanking new ones.

Robo-Chocobo
also let me remind you the PS1 went into uncharted territory as well.

also, the mantra if it ain't broke don't fix it doesn't really work for sony considering all of their consoles have been flawed fragile pieces of tissue paper.

first ps1 overheated
the ps2 gives disc read errors, and won't play my DDR game.(and it's funny how first they say it's okay to have it on it's side, but they now tell you not to) and scratches my few ps1 games.
psp already is shooting out spinning game disk's of death, and blank spots on the screens.

Robo-Chocobo
I love my DS. it's great. and it's nifty that it carries 2 games at once.

I've had to recharge the battery once since I opened it up and did some serious play with it. it had an initial charge, so after I wore that down, I charged it up, and it's been running fine.

a good idea is to let it charge every time you go to sleep.

ZomBiE_HunTER
sumtimes i get lazy so i dont bother and it still works fine.

Draco69
Wow. Yay my thread's popular!

PSP will be better than DS. Why? Business. Read the Wall Street Journal.
Nintendo's stock has been steadly decreasing for the last decade. The N64 cost them more money than it did profit. The Gamecube is a grade-A business failure (why else can you buy gamecube for just 79 bucks) Sony however is the exact opposite. PS1 is the hottest selling video game system. PS2 is a close second. The PSP will follow. Hardcore Nintendo fanatics will buy the DS and denounce the PSP. What's so appealing about the PSP is that is so accessible. Lack of accessibility has always been Nintendo's downfall. They are too old-school. They sell games to gamers. Sony sells games to everyone.

The DS is a very impressive system. It has some quality games coming out and it has sound graphics and sounds. It also has PictoChat, a pseudo Instant Messaging. Games and Pictochat, that's what the DS system is capable of.

Let's look at the PSP. It also appears to be very a very impressive system. I disregard the "dead pixel" controversy. Every electronic meets bumps in the road. PSP has some very good quality games coming out. It will have wireless Internet and email access. It can play MP3s. It can play UMD movies. Various other accessories will come with it. Sony even plans to make it itunes compatible.

PSP is likely to to defeat the DS. Yeah, I know everyone wants to bring up the "nobody has ever beat the nintendo handheld" Well those nobodies were just that: nobodies. Nintendo is going against Sony. They've lost in the past. Nintendo only has its games. Sony has celebrities, more business contracts with video game making companies, vast resources at its disposal. And it looks a lot sexier too. Face it people judge things by how it looks.

ragesRemorse
One thing that history has taught us in the gaming world is that creativity usually always fails miserably. Atleast in system peripherals or system structure, well shit, even in video games.

Samas-adian
Draco - show me evidence that says that N64 and the Gamecube has a deficit
1st - Actually, major publishers have said that the DS has better games.
2nd - DS has wireless Internet also
3rd - Gaming systems are suppose to be gaming systems. Not all in one devices.
4th - have fun watching a movie and recharging the battery every 2 hours.

Darth Surgent
Can someone post lists of the games that have been confirmed so far for the two systems?

ragesRemorse
psp does it all

Draco69
To Samas-Adrian: Sorry for lateness.

1st: They never made as much much money as it cost to produce the games. There was no profit. Like I said read the Wall Street Journal.

2nd: Define "better games". It's a matter of opinion. For now, in my opinion, I would rather play Super Mario DS than Ridge Racers. But when Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy 7 spinoff, and Dynasty Warriors come out for PSP...

3rd: Sorry Samas I agree. But that's not our future. Cell phones are cameras, computers, and walkie-talkies now. The trend of technologies for many years to come will be "all in one" game systems. The PS2 and X-Box function as a DVD player and a hard drive and people loved it.

4th: If you're a hardcore gamer, who will develop a hunchback in the late twenties for playing handheld games too much, yeah the battery would be a problem. But for people, like me, that actually have life and don't devote six hours a day to video games, no this would not be a problem.

5th: The DS has wireless internet connection SOLELY for Pictochat, a lame version of instant messaging. The PSP has wireless internet connection for pretty much anything they can think of. Stuck on a level you can't beat? Pause the game and go to GameFAQs.com on the PSP to find out how to beat it.

PSP will most likely beat the DS.

SaTsuJiN
lmao.. pause the game and go to gamefaqs... I'd like to see that take a year and a day just to type in www.gamefaqs.com , plus I'd like to see the processor handle more than the game itself without draining the battery life. All-in-one systems are over their head and will undoubtedly sink.. ever wonder why those cell phones get replaced in like 2 months? (unstable and fragile anyone?)

Draco69
Satsujin: your arguments valid. Making a video game system into a proverbial swiss army knife may backlash. But with respect to economic principles, I doubt the PSP will overcome the DS .

Think about it, you're a video game producer. You want to make as much money as possible and gain a reputation so you can make even more money. Who would you go with DS or PSP. Nintendo's stock in dropping like a stone. Sony's stock seems to grow by the day. As businessman, which company would you sign with?

It's never about the quality of games, or the unspoken "video gamer ethics 101", its about money. It's always been about money. I predict that if the DS falls flat, Nintendo may end up like Sega.

Samas-adian
So your saying is that the N64 and Gamecube didnt not make any profit at all because it cost too much to produce the games??
Or that it cost too much to produce the hardware?
I think thats full of crap that Nintendo didnt make a single dollar from the two systems

Actually, EGM did an issue about the upcoming debut games for each system and the came to a conclusion that DS had better games coming out.

True, that is the wave of the future. But those cellphones actually are useful. Why woulds somebody want to buy handheld that costs an extra 100 bucks because of these "Features" that are not very good when they have a cellphone that does it already thats cheaper.? XBOX and PS2 both have dvd drives, but they're not good compared to a regular dvd player.
Hardcore gamers move the industry, companies have to respect them.
DS Wireless can be used to play games online also and be able to play multiplayer matches with other DS similar to the link cable.

dave123
to be honest, I don't see much of a future for either the PSP or DS erm

Draco69
No, Samas-Ardian. (Though doing it on disc would have been cheaper) The games were made, but they didn't sell. Nobody bought them. Let's say that I buy the materials to make a action figure. It cost a 100 dollars. I sell the action figures for 5 dollars. In a span of two years, 10 people bought one action figure each. I didn't make a profit because I only made 50 dollars in sales. I wasted money. Same deal with Nintendo.

Oh, Please. EGM isn't the Bible of video game systems. People write the magazines. People are biased. Therefore the magazine has bias. Every journalistic thread is biased. Gamespot.com is the exact opposite and seems to favor PSP. Noone is right or wrong.

Hardcore gamers are rapidly becoming the minority. More and more people are becoming casual gamers. In the past, it was only children and teenagers who played video games. Now, people of all ages play videogames. Young people and old people, jocks and geeks, men and women, priests and rabbis. I'm a casual gamer. I play video games casually when I have the time. I don't lock myself in my room and play Halo for 12 hours straight.

Yes, buying a cellphone for just using it as a means of communication is a nod to common sense. But the sales show otherwise. People now want cameras in their phones, calenders in their ipods, and blenders in their watches.

The DS wireless connection from my resources is limited. Several hundred feet seems to be the limit before it becomes wonky. So its exactly like the link cable. PSP has the same thing but more. Internet access, a future Itunes, MP3 playback, and it can play movies. The DS is outgunned in this department.

JKozzy
Nintendo seems to be pretty strong to me, demand for the DS is up, every kid practically has at least one generation of game boy, I think they're pretty set for now... PSP is getting a pretty bad rep from the low battery life, dead pixels, popping discs, and other such defects. The features sure look promising, however so does the DS, imo. And I feel that I, nor anyone else can judge which is better fairly at the moment unless we have both a PSP and a DS in possession.

Rhino
I think the psp will do ok, but Nintendo is the one that would lose the most in this competition-if PSP wins the battle than it would be a huge embarrassment for Nintendo...they've been runing the hand held gaming thing for a long time, and to have a Sony, release their first hand held system and win...that would be a huge upset

Samas-adian
Draco, i understand about profit. I'm not stupid. But your wrong.
You wrote, " The games were made, but they didn't sell." Your refering personally to Nintendo. First, Nintendo made the console. Lots of people bought the console. So they made a profit. If a game made FOR a Nintendo console didnt sell that was made by a 3rd Party Developer. Nintendo still made a profit.
Why is this correct?
Well, Nintendo didnt spend money on the game. They actually made money from the licensing fee that 3rd party developers need to pay. So if the game didnt sell, the company who made the game lost money.

But Nintendo does produce games also. But their games (Zelda, Mario and etc) are actually some of the top sellings videogames in history. So they made a profit.

True, magazines are biased. But EGM, which is very reputable magazine actually said that the PSP is more exicting that DS.

Casual players buy one or two games a year. Hardcore gamers buy 3 or 4 games a month. Who would you want?

Draco69
To Samas Adrian

Bloody teenagers. Nintendo still has to spend a large amount of money to produce, manufacture, and ship the games. The game companies give the game schematics to Nintendo. Nintendo puts the game schematics into the blank cartridge (that cost a lot to make) and produce them by hundreds. If the game did not make a lot of money, the game company who made the game loses the most money but Nintendo still loses a feasible amount. For the N64, the top-selling games had more profit than it did for the expenses. But for the other games the same could not be said. Nintendo lost money because of expenses and little profit.

Mario, Zelda and Metroid makes Nintendo a lot of money. But that's it. Nobody wants anything else. A few games cannot carry a company. The fact is Nintendo's stock is decreasing rapidly. This fact supports my argument.

Casual gamers outnumber hardcore gamers. Look at the titles coming out nowadays. It gears towards casual gamers. The Sims, GTA, Halo, etc. are all geared to hardcore gamers. Game companies took polls and found out that casual gamers far outweigh hardcore gamers.

Who do want? Nintendo, a company who's spiraling into bankruptcy (and almost did last year) or Sony, a company who's doing better than ever.

Samas-adian
Are you calling me a bloddy teenager?

True, I'm wrong about the manufacturing. But I have yet to see evidence that has said that Nintendo almost filed for bankruptcy. Everything thing i have read has been rumors.
How much stock has decreased? How much money did they lose because of this? How fast is decreasing?
From what ive seen and somewhat understand (i have no economic education) they have made a profit in hundred's of millions this past quarter.
If you can show me some sort of evidence that say's Nintendo is almost bankrupt or that they have no made a single dime from GC or N64 then im stilling not going to believe you.

And yes i rather have Nintendo. They produce hardware and games for people who love videogames. All Sony does is take the same console and stick more hardware into it. It does make money but sooner or later its going to bite them in the ass.

BackFire
DS, nintendo will always have a clean grasp on the portable gaming market. I haven't really seen any interesting PSP games from the list of upcoming titles, I have seen numerous DS games that look superb.

General Kaliero
Good lord, but your bickering is annoying. If you have a valid argument, Draco 69, just show actual proof that Nintendo stocks are shrinking. I find that extremely hard to believe. Even if the GCN isn't doing too well, sales from game boys, GBAs, GBA SPs, and the DS itself are increasing Nintendo's profit exponentially.

The GameBoy alone produced more money than the PS2 has. Every kid I know above the age of 5 has some form of a GameBoy, and just walking through a mall, you're guaranteed to see at least two kids-to-teenagers walking around with their nose in a GameBoy.

for the casual gamers vs. hardcore gamers argument, Samas-adian is right. Casual gamers buy a new game about every six months. Hardcore gamers buy a new game at least twice a month. For profit from the casual gamers to even EQUAL profit from hardcore gamers, the casuals would have to outnumber the hardcores at least 12 to 1!

Sure, the extra stuff on the PSP is nice, but I can pick up a portable DVD player with a larger screen for 30 or 40 dollars. And for your internet connection, the people that the swiss-army-knife systems are aimed at probably already have a cell phone with internet access. and will likely buy at least one more before the PSP is out over here.

And for the games argument, I'd like to state that when Final Fantasy I & II came out, it included a survey card asking what games people would like to see Square Enix make for the DS. Included on the list were Final Fantasy III, IV (the great game previously known in the States as FFII ), V, VI, and Chrono Trigger.

The DS is going to get a crapload of RPGs. And if I remember correctly, the RPGs are the reasons most people buy Sony systems.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I might get the psp when it cums out but so far i really dont see any good games.

Draco69
For the last time, for proof of Nintendo's shrinking stock, read the Wall Street Journal!

To General Kaliero: Finally, somebody with a logical argument. As for the games, its purely a matter of opinion.

Rhino
y doesnt the PSP take the easy way out for the launch title games?-they could just get one of their older classic games from the consoles and u know, port it to the psp like mario ds

Draco69
Yeah, they're already doing that. Devil May Cry, Spiderman 2, FF7 spinoff, Dynasty Warriors

Rhino
those games are good, y r ppl saying they dont see any good games for psp?

ZomBiE_HunTER
The good games aint out now.

Robo-Chocobo
what polls? I havn't seen any polls, hey samas have you seen polls? I suscribe to 3 gaming publications, and constantly check the main online gaming sites (IGN, g4techtv(and it'swebsite) UGO ect. I NEVER once have ever heard about nintendo losing money in such a manner you describe. and a few games CAN carry a company. if X-box hadn't ever had halo, it's doubtful the console would have survived.

Mario 64 made the N64 a "HEY LOOK AT ME" must have holdiay item.

Robo-Chocobo
because it launched in japan with so so games.

Sony doesn;t really have any stable sony "mascots". it has GTA, and GT, and the jack and daxter, and ratchet and clank, and sly cooper, but never has one single one been picked out as "THE" mascot(like sonic, or master chief, or mario). they didn't bring any titles easy to identify for launch titles.

ninto launched with a good game, mario 64 ds. people identified it easily,and said "ehy a mario game. those are always good". it helps sell the console

DracotheDragon
I say the DS, only because of the fact that what other portable or even console systems do you know of that have:

1. 2 screens
2. one being a touch screen
3. wireless communicative abilities (WiFi compatible too)

I have also played the DS and I think the controls are ingenius. The PSp is gonna suck because not only does it not have analog sticks, but it also has this big ass screen for a portable system, that has to be draining on the batteries, and I don't know about all of you, but I prefer to have the logest amount of play time before having to re-charge. I have to say the DS, all the way.

Samas-adian
Robo, your right. I haven't seen any polls either. Maybe its in the Wall Street Journal. The bible of anything.
I havn't seen any evidence about being to the brink of bankruptcy. If it was true, I would think that it would be major news in the industry. Or evidence saying that Nintendo did not make any profit from the last two consoles.

True, if Halo wasnt bought by Microsoft the Xbox would of failed. Sony themselves have little mascots to sell a system. They were smart though in realising the last two consoles before Nintendo's. The same cant be said about the PSP, so i can see it not doing as well as the DS because of it.

Draco69
To Robo and Samas

Halo doesn't even compare to the Nintendo's mascots. It's the highest grossing video game in history. Mascots don't mean anything. Super Mario Sunshine was to supposed to sell big, but its sells were very disappointing. If you think mascots make a video game company, you're kidding yourselves. Sony doesn't have a (official) mascot true enough. But it sells more video games than Nintendo and Microsoft combined. You're deluding yourself. And if you really want to learn more about Nintendo's stocks go to the Wall Street Journal website. *sigh* Nintendo fanboys sad

Rhino
-doenst the psp have wifi? and palm pilots have the touch screen too. and the psp does have a "analog" stick or nub, whatever they call it.

-and this is directed to anyone...why do fans like nintedo so much? nintedo mascot(and most) games r so kiddy

ZomBiE_HunTER
Does it matter if its kiddy a good game is a good game.LIke mario and Zelda and so on.

Draco69
The problem is that kiddy games don't sell as well as other more mature games (like Halo, GTA, Metal Gear Solid, etc.)

General Kaliero
Did you really just say that? Older gamers may have more cash, but NOTHING is more annoying that a child yelling, "DADDY I WANT THE NEW POKEMON GAME BECAUSE ITS A DIFFERENT COLOR! GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME!" Have two kids doing that, and we'll see how long you last before buying.

The pokemon franchise is another thing thats boosting Nintendo up.

And, may I remind you, Nintendo got first dibs on Resident Evil 4, the new Zelda game coming out this year is obviously not "kiddie," and the Metroid series is in no way a set of "kiddie" games. Nintendo is not a "kiddie" company. They just cater to everyone.

Rhino
LOL...anyways one kid threatened his parents with a knife cuz his dad turned off his game system. by the way, pokemon is old, the new kid fad is yugioh and was fought off temporarily by beyblades half a year ago! and isnt resident evil 4 subtitled Outbreak? cuz that was on sony wasnt it?? i think resident evil sucks, every year they say they're going to fix the camera and inventory stuff but they never do!

ZomBiE_HunTER
Pokemon is not old I can tell u that even though Yugioh cards are everywhere the Pokemon games are selling like crazy and RE4 is NOT subtitled Outbreak.That game sucked so much a$$.Well they made everything that was bad about the RE games better in RE4.With better camras and weapon inventory and the controls are alot better.

Draco69
To General Kaliero:

Pokemon?! It died YEARS ago. Nintendo's cash flow from that ended. Pokemon is no where the height it used to be. And most of the money went to the company who invented Pokemon anyway (Bandai or something). Kids represent at the most 20% of the video game market. The rest is teenagers and adults. You must be kidding yourself if you believe most of the video game market is for kids. It's for male teenage boys and sociopathic adults.

So what if Nintendo has Resident Evil IV? Capcom plans to put out on PS2 too. Capcom games like Viewtiful Joe and others sold better on PS2 and X-Box than Gamecube. Capcom even plans to end its contract with Nintendo because they're not making any money off Nintendo. Most of the Nintendo games are geared to children. Resident Evil 0 and a remake of the first Resident Evil had disappointing sales according to Capcom spokesman. Nobody wanted to buy a Gamecube for just ONE game. The new Zelda game coming out this year (which by the way looks really cool) is certainly not kiddie. Especially after the debacle of the last one. A skipping nancy pretty boy with a toy sword. Metroid Prime games are very popular and is geared to adults. That I won't contest.

Nintendo IS a kiddie company. You've mentioned the ONLY games that gear to teenagers and adults in a proverbial sea of children-related games. Mario Tennis, Mario Party, SpongeBob, a kid-version of Final Fantasy, Scooby Doo, Kirby, RPG Mario, Pokemon Colosseum, the list goes on. The other systems are smart. They know that most of game market is teenagers and adults. Kids are the minority. There are thousands upon thousands of video game maniac adults and teenagers who spend a better half of their paycheck on games. Parents don't buy as much games for their kids. They have bills, taxes and other stuff to worry about. Nintendo's biggest flaw is that they don't have enough games catered to teenagers and adults. Flip through Gamepro or EGM. You'll find that most of the games mentioned are for adults. This is what makes them lose money. And they having been losing money for years. If they don't pick up the trend for 21st century video-gaming then... thumb down

Rhino
well said draco! what u said was the point i was trying to get thgu cool

Samas-adian
They're are reports that Nintendo is has rising stock prices and has reached a year high. Market analyzers are backing Nintendo platform strategy which increased stock prices. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3349
Also, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=4659

Its true that Nintendo's stock has dropped but that was over a year ago and now doesn't really mean much considering the DS is doing very well.

Also true that Nintendo's profits has declined compared to what they used to have back 15 year agos. But its still doing very well considering the company is all about videogames. You cant compare Sony and Microsoft with Nintendo because they're more than just a videogame company.
Nintendo has sales profit of 500 million dollar in 2003 and group sales of over 3 billion dollars. Which makes Nintendo one of largest and most profitable company in the industry. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=1689

Draco69

BackFire
"But the stock market, revenues, and common sense points in the direction of Sony."

Not when it comes to hand held games. Nintendo always has, and probably always will dominate that market. The day will probably come when they stop making regular consoles and simply do handheld systmes, since that's where the majority of their money comes from. This won't be for a while though, as long as Nintendo still makes Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Metroid games there will be reason enough for nintendo to continue making console systems that will be successful.

With normal console systems, Sony has the advantage; with hand held systems, Nintendo has the advantage.

Rhino
i think that its most likely that microsoft will buy out nintendo soon...

Draco69
To Backfire:

Yes, Nintendo has ALWAYS dominated the handheld system market. But who's been their competition lately? Nokia? This is the first time Nintendo has ever had serious competition in the hand-held. Sony is a very reputable company with impressive marketing skills. It's going to be tough for Nintendo to prevail against them. And a handheld system cannot carry a company. Gameboys aren't that popular. It's no Ipod. The problem with Nintendo is that it's ALL they have. Gameboy. That's it. Sony has other markets. Microsoft has other markets. Nintendo has one previously unchallenged market. A market that is being challenged by a very serious competitor.

Rhino
ya, Nintendo hasnt had any competition since ever...well any good competition until now, so they dont really have much experience in competting in the hand held world, dont u think? this will be proven soon

BackFire
This isn't the first time Nintendo has had competition. Remember Gamegear? That was a very big competitor.

Also, going through the list of PSP titles isn't all that impressive. The only game that really jumped out at me was the Gran Turismo 4 mobile game (and maybe Medal Gear Acid, but that looks a bit iffy). It's the only really big BIG game coming out for PSP that I've seen so far. Where as DS already has a Mario game, along with a Metroid game on the way and most surely a Zelda game or two in teh future, along with probably another mario game as well. And lets not forget a possible Super Smash bros type game and mario kart.

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to say the gameboy is ALL they have, Gamecube is making them some money, though it's in last place with the console wars, they certainly aren't losing money with the system, and there's still a few huge games coming out for GC, the new zelda game and a new Mario game are still on the way. And as I said earlier, as long as Nintendo has these trademark titles, any system they make will net them SOME money. Heck, I'll buy every nintendo system that comes out just so I can play these games.

Problem with Nintendo is that they always try a bit to hard to seperate themselves from the pack and is usually a bit behind in the "what's hot" trends (such as online gaming missing from GC, and the decision to go with Cartridges instead of CD's with N64). Hopefully with their next system (and yes, it's been confirmed that Nintendo will make at lest one more system after gamecube) they will catch up to their competitors and stop with all the wierd gimmicks and strange design decisions. I really think if they had CD based games for N64 rather then cartridges they would have had a very successful system on their hands.

Draco69
To BackFire: (finally an easy username to spell!) smile

Gamegear? That bulky, grey thing with that drained the batteries like a sponge? Yeah I remember it. Sega was competition. But certainly not SONY competition. Sega only made games like Nintendo. Fans like Nintendo better. Sega lost. Sega's in the dumpster. Sony is a extremely formidable competitor. They beaten Nintendo in the console wars, in video game sales, and annual profits in one fell swoop. Who's to say that they won't beat Nintendo in the hand-held war?

Gamecube makes SOME money. But not ENOUGH money to keep them going. The new Zelda game and a new Mario game will give them a few strides but its only delaying the inevitable. Trademark titles can only carrry them so far. As I said before, Zelda and Mario isn't going to put a dent in their deficit. Sony has about dozens titles that make them money. Nintendo only has their trademarks to rely on for profit. Why did you think Nintendo signed on Capcom for the Resident Evil series.

I agree with every part of the third section of your thesis. "Strange design decisions and weird gimmicks" (the Gamecube controller is terrible for fighting games!) has been holding them back. I really hope that Nintendo wises up and recognizes the wave of the future. Old school isn't cutting it anymore, no matter what the Nintendo fanatics say.

ArthasKnight
Am I the only one who hasn't missed the point of this thread? Does the question "Which will do better?" mean which will be a better system or which will make us argue over which is more economically feasible? I buy consoles for their games, not because the Wall Street Journal is stapled to my chest. The games that appeal to me (Zelda, Mario, RE) are available on Nintendo consoles, so those are what I go for.

I've always been a Nintendo person: NES, N64, Gameboy, Gamecube. I have no interest in putting money in anyone's pockets, I buy consoles because I will have fun of them. I really don't see any point arguing over sales and such (maybe because I'm not interested in stocks and stuff, I am after all a "bloody teenager"wink.

Exactly what are we discussing here? Which console will be better (and by better I mean gameplay, graphics, and enjoyment factor) or which company will file for bankruptcy in the next year? I completely lost the focus of this thread while I was reading the other posts. Let's try and stay on-topic here?

BackFire
Well, the difference between nintendos handheld battle and the console battle is that they really do know how to keep things moving forward when it comes to handheld systems. They don't have wierd little gimmicsk for their handheld systems, they just make better graphics, better designs and better games with each new hand held system. They've pretty much made all of the strides in the hand held market and I think it's one area where they really know what the gamer wants.

Plus, when people think of handheld systems, they automatically think of nintendo, it's held dominence in the field of hand held gaming for over 16 years or so, and since it's their only real means of income I really don't think they will take chances with questionable marketing and designs.

But, no one does know for sure and only time will tell, but from what I can tell, DS does have better titles coming out, and more of them. PSP titles seem like more of the same old crap that is just filling space rather then trying to compell people to buy their system. They have nothing that can stand toe to toe with Mario, zelda or metroid games announced for the PSP yet.

Yep, this is true. However since all of nintendo trademark games are made by nintendo, it is a gaurantee that nintendo will ALWAYS have good games coming out exclusively for their systems, which is more then can be said for Sony, which doesn't have many real major first party games. I think this fact alone will make a lot of people buy Nintendo consoles, just because you know no matter what happens, they will have their awesome first party games. Basically, if Sony loses Konami, Rockstar, and Squarsoft, their system will quickly fall.

Yep, I really really hope that Nintendo starts seeing better days. I suggest everyone else do the same, because it's been stated by Nintendo that when they stop making consoles, they will NOT make any games for other systems (like Sega is). So that means, if Nintendo consoles die, there will not be any Mario, Zelda or any other nintendo trademarks. And I don't know about you guys, but I can't picture a video game industry without mario and zelda, they're the two biggest franchises in the industry. Without them, it would be a sad day in gaming, Nintendo fan-boy or not.

Draco69
Not really. When I posted this thread, by "Which Will Do Better?" I meant which will be ultimately be more popular and sell better. NOT which game system is better. We can't that yet because we don't have both.

Draco69
To Backfire:

Yeah. I agree. If something happened to Zelda, I would be PISSED. We need Mario and Zelda and the rest. Without them, videogames wouldn't exist. Nintendo just needs to get their act together.

Samas-adian
If Nintendo is making a profit than how could you say Nintendo is in a deficit?
The figure's in the article that I posted states the final figure in Yen which I know is very cheap compared to the US dollar. But beside it is what the British pound equilivent which is higher than the American dollar. So its still a pretty big sum of money that Nintendo has.

"Gamegear? That bulky, grey thing with that drained the batteries like a sponge?"

You mean the PSP. Its big and grey and sucks battery like 12 dollar hooker. History shows that battery life seriously hinders the handheld.

Sooner or later, consoles that just upgrade with more power will eventually die out. People will get bored playing the same damn game over and over. Look back in 70's when videogames hit the big time. Companies were just releasing console after console and eventually the industry completly blew up for years. I also agree with Backfire, companies that make Sony huge and powerful suddenly leave that console will be screwed. Nintendo wont have that problem

Draco69
To Samas-Adian:

Nintendo is not making anywhere as much money as Sony is. That's a fact. Without Gameboy Advance, Nintendo would not have one leg to stand on. That's a fact. Gamecube lost the console wars and is having very poor sales. That's a fact. Nintendo's sales increased only slightly because of the DS. That's a fact. The PSP is only out in Japan for a couple of months so no comparative data is available until it is out everywhere. That's a fact. Ultimately, Sony is a powerful company with its hands in a hundred markets and Nintendo is a respectable company guarding ONE market (handheld systems) like an cocaine addict guarding his only stash of crack.

The PSP has a relative 6 hour battery life. There's no arguing this. DS has a 10 to 12 battery. Nearly twice its battery life. Nintendo has an advantage at this point. DS can play games, wireless multiplayer and has wireless Pictochat. PSP has games, an itunes equivalent, AIM, Internet Access, wireless multi-player, UMD movie playback, and finally MP3 playback. Sony has an advantage with this point. DS's future releases are Pokemon, Wario, Zoo Keeper, Ping Pals, One Line Puzzle, Band Brothers, Tendo Dakouta, and a future Final Fantasy III. PSP's future releases are Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Acid, Final Fantasy VII-2, Ape Escape, Dynasty Warriors, Need For Speed, Twisted Metal, and a future GTA. This comparison is debatable to different gamers taste. The design is debatable as well. To me the PSP is a hell of lot easier on the eyes than the DS. But that's just my opinion.

Consoles are becoming multifeature. That's a fact. There's no escaping it. Cars have TVs and Mp3 players. Watches have calculators and daily planners. That's the future. The "One object for one thing" age is done and dead. It's just technological evolution.

Backfire mentioned that without Konami, Square-Enix, and Rockstar; Sony's game systems would crash. WELL DUH! roll eyes (sarcastic) That's something called BUSINESS! Without the popular TV shows Survivor and CSI, CBS Corporations would sink. Without J.K Rowlings and her popular book series Harry Potter, Scholastic Inc. would sink. Without Heinz Ketchup and Mustard, Nathan's Hot Dogs would sink. Jesus Christ, the stupidity of some people! Companies rely on other companies. It's been this way since our ancestors were trading shark teeth for bananas. And why the bloody hell would Konami, Square-Enix or Rockstar "suddenly leave" Sony?! Sony is their only source of cash! They rely on each other. Where're they gonna go? Mars? It's just wishful, fanatical, Nintendo fanboy thinking that these companies would suddenly up and leave Sony. Good Lord!

BackFire
"Backfire mentioned that without Konami, Square-Enix, and Rockstar; Sony's game systems would crash. WELL DUH! That's something called BUSINESS! Without the popular TV shows Survivor and CSI, CBS Corporations would sink. Without J.K Rowlings and her popular book series Harry Potter, Scholastic Inc. would sink. Without Heinz Ketchup and Mustard, Nathan's Hot Dogs would sink. Jesus Christ, the stupidity of some people! Companies rely on other companies. It's been this way since our ancestors were trading shark teeth for bananas. And why the bloody hell would Konami, Square-Enix or Rockstar "suddenly leave" Sony?! Sony is their only source of cash! They rely on each other. Where they gonna go? Mars? It's just wishful, fanatical, Nintendo fanboy thinking that these companies would suddenly up and leave Sony. Good Lord!"

It's not entirely unheard of for a big name game developer to change systems while successful with said system. Square did it with Nintendo when they were their only source of cash, Rare also did it with Nintendo. So it's not that far fetched.

Besides, I never said it was probable to happen, merely an example of a particular strength that Nintendo does have - No matter what happens, their blessing is that their best games are first party and they don't have to worry about a company leaving. I didn't say that it would happen, or that I wanted it to happen or anything.

Draco69
Point taken, BackFire.

Robo-Chocobo
besides, I'm pretty sure square enix and konami will still mkae games for both hand helds, no matter what. also don't forget capcom.

I respect your opinion Draco69 L but I can't ignore your jaded opinion of the nintendo console franchise. This isn't like sega. Nintendo made cash(belive it or not) on the n64. it wasn't some endless black hole.(like the 32x). this isn't like the sega Saturn. When sega launched the saturn, they didn't have the cash power to go head to head with sony.

nintendo game in at an opportune time with the 64.

the game cube's biggest flaw was it's lack of strong launch titles and the horrible marketing Nintendo did in the face of microsoft. (and debatably it's purple color). it isn't because it was a bad console. if it was as bad as you describe, then it owuld be in dumpsters by the thousands, and we use gamecube games as coasters. clearly this is not so.

If Nintendo "ever went the way of Sega" like you prescribe, then it would be a sad day in the gaming industry indeed. we would never again have Zelda, Mario, metroid, or the bundle of other nintendo gems.

it also is ignorant to believe that the gameboy is the only franchise keeping nintendo alive. although having millions of gameboys wolrdwide, with cash cows like Pokemon it does give some breathing room.

Robo-Chocobo
also, draco, you spoke of "Consoles are becoming multifeature. That's a fact. There's no escaping it. Cars have TVs and Mp3 players. Watches have calculators and daily planners. That's the future. The "One object for one thing" age is done and dead. It's just technological evolution."

hm yes, I believe they already have a name for that. it's called.

N-Gage.

OWNED!!

Samas-adian
Draco, I dont care if Sony has more money than Nintendo. I care about what your saying about how Nintendo is going bankrupt, has a deficit and blah blah blah. I showed that it made a profit, so it cant have a deficit. And when I ask for proof, you tell me to read The Wall Street Journal. What about a link to another site? It must be big news?

"Konami, Square-Enix or Rockstar "suddenly leave" Sony?! Sony is their only source of cash!"
Konami - makes games for every platfrom.
Square-Enix - makes games for PS2, GC, GBA and PC
Rockstar - everything aside from GC.

Granted alot of thier main revenue is from the PS2, but if they left PS2 for specific circumstances, you think they all would go bankrupt. I dont think so. They would still sell millions.

And again, the average battery life is 6 hours for the PSP . But thats not including what type of game your playing, if you have the wireless feature on. Battery life with that last around 90 minutes to 3 hours. Its not even mentioned how long the battery lasts when watching a movie or listening to music.

Draco69
To Robo-Chocobo:

Nokia is relatively new cell phone company that for some bizarre reason went into the video-gaming industry. There's no comparsion between Sony and Nokia. N-GAGE flumped as a result of very poor marketing, a very weak console design (you had to take out the battery to play the game! :wtfsmile, and a very, very weak launch titles.

Consoles were already multifeature before N-GAGE. PS2 and X-Box could play DVDs and had online play. Gamecube didn't have any of these features. Guess who placed third in the console wars?

And don't worry, Nintendo won't die. (It'd be very weird to play Zelda on PS4 or something). They just need to get their act together and start recognizing that old-school video gaming marketing is simply not cutting it anymore. They need to evolve.

Draco69
To Samas-adian:

I looked up the specifications for PSP.

Hard-Performance Test - Speakers to the max, WIFI OFF, Hard Performace game Ridge Racers

Final Time: 3 hours, 32 minutes

Heavy UMD Gameplay Loading: Speakeres to the max, WIFI OFF, Hard Performance test, Darkstalkers Chronicles game, same thing for movies.

Final Time: 5 hours, 9 minutes

WiFi Multiplayer: Speakers to the max, Hard Performance test, Ridge Racers Game.

Final Time: 2 hours, 46 minutes

MP3 Playback : Speakers to the Max, Hard Performance test, numerous switching back and forth between MP3 files, 4 GB harddrive, 1000s songs

10 hours, 39 minutes

Sleep Mode: This feature is like a hibernation mode for Windows.

Negligible Battery Impact Over 24 hours

As I said before: PSP is for older teenagers and adults who are not hardcore handheld gamers. A handheld system is meant for entertainment on the go. On the subway, during a flight, during a carpool ride with dozens of screaming kids. Not for a pimple-faced social outcast with a permanent hunchback playing GBA for 20 hours straight. The DS would be perfect for him. For anyone else who has a semblance of a life, and has some downtime the PSP is perfect for them. Who's the majority: People with lives or social outcasts? I readily admit that the battery life is a major drawback for PSP. But the it has a lot going for it. Hundreds of other features besides games, a legion of prominent gaming companies behind it, huge marketing. It stands a very good chance against the DS. The ipod defied all odds. Everyone wanted to keep playing their CD Players. Now look at it. EVERYONE has an IPOD. It's the most popular electronic of the new millenium.

I can't predict the future. I can only gather the facts, the data, the specs, and the lessons of the past. It points in the direction of the PSP. I could be wrong. You could be wrong. We don't know. We'll just have to wait a year.

P.S. The battery can be recharged by AV car-battery, and a dead battery can easily be replaced with a $30 fully-charged one. Thought you should know.

Robo-Chocobo
dude, multi functional is being described in 2 different ways here.

your calling the X-box and Ps2 online multi functional? you can't surf the web on it, all you can do is play more games, it's not multifunctional in that respect.

it's only multifunctional in Movie watching.

also, I can compare the PSP to the N-Gage. they both have weak launch titles. and they both have design flaws.(well, the new N-Gage doesn't...)

Rhino
u can also get batteries at the dollar store...
-and someone said "PSP titles seem like more of the same old crap that is just filling space rather then trying to compell people to buy their system..." mario ds is a from the n64 version, have u seen gt4 on the ps1 or ps2? its nitendo thats using the same old crap over and over and over, each mario game's main objective is to save the princess, im sure no one wants to play mario basketball cuz that happens to be a cube game comin out

Robo-Chocobo
So let me get htis strait. now the DS and GBA are for social outcast? wtf are you talking about? moron. I can play mario DS as easily on the go as I can a PSP game. THEY'RE FREAKING HAND-HELDS!!! THEY'RE MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON THE GO. WHAT ELSE WOULD I DO WITH IT?

so now, you wouldn't be caught dead with a GBA? to afraid of being called a freak while you wait for your back-ordered import PSP? Now that something different has come along you label all the people with DS and GBA freaks while you jump ship.
It is only by self -restrait that I don't tell you off right now.

(also, everyone wasn't clinging onto their CD players when the Ipod showed up. They were already using MP3's.&!$#)

and how long does the PSP last if you've played more than 1 kind of game for the battery duration? a little dark stalkers, a little ridge racer.so then how long does it last?

Robo-Chocobo
mario basketball? yah right. roll eyes (sarcastic)

SO the point of every mario game is to rescue the princess ,and the point of the GTA games have always been about stealing cars, and running people over, and the point of the megaman games have always been to defeat boss 1, so you can use his weapon to defeat boss 2, and so on, and resident evil has always been about zombies(excluding the not out 4), and acecombat's always been about shooting the planes down.

rendolf27
DS
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS thumb up

Robo-Chocobo
so what your saying is, the GBA, and the DS are NOT portable? woa, that is like a total revolation.

and first you say the PSP is perfect for on the go, and the nintendo handhelds aren't. Then you say they are perfect for down time.

I believe my DS wants to say something to you, but I can't transfer pictochat to the computer.

dave123
play nice boys and girls happy

and chocobos zorro

Draco69
To Robo-Chocobo:

Wow! I believe I hit a sore spot. The truth burns doesn't it? wink

Robo-Chocobo
You've pissed off a hell of alot more people than just me. maybe I should go post the link to this thread to the nintendo.com forum. heck, maybe I should post the link to your IQ lowering post in every video game thread I know. I'm pretty sure there are gonna be alot of sore people.

ZomBiE_HunTER
LOL,Thats a nice one Robo

Samas-adian
Million's of GBA unit have been bought. It's the most popular gaming system in the world. Does that equal to being a social outcast?.

This is why i think the DS will beat out the PSP.
1) The biggest library of games ever.
2) Its innovating and developers want to design for it
3) Extremely cheap
4) It's out now so people are buying it, and they wont spend more money on the PSP (if thier casual gamers)
5) It's "cool" to have a DS and it's the most wanted electronic for this Christmas
6) They do have alot of developers for the DS.
7) It has Nintendo seal of quality ( it wont break and its design is amazing)

Where is your info about battery life from?
Is it from Sony?
Are they using an actual store bought PSP or one fromt the company?

I got my info from Gamespot who did actual test's with a PSP that they bought in Japan.

Robo-Chocobo
Game Boy Advance Hardware (Launch through March 2004)
Japan - 13,210,000 (25.70%)
North America - 24,810,000 (48.29%)
Other - 13,380,000 (26.03%)
Total - 51,400,000

about 51 million pissed off fans to be precise

dave123
nono

Robo-Chocobo
ah, I see dave123 is pissed off.

Draco69
To Robo-Chocobo:

Low IQ? *Sob* I'm sorry I didn't get into Yale but CORNELL is still a Ivy-League school. Please! You're taking this way too seriously. I'm just giving a thesis on why PSP has a better chance than DS in annual sales and such. There's no need to resort to childish insults. Come back to me when you grow up, little boy.

Robo-Chocobo
wow, did they teach you to put words in other peoples mouths at Cornell?

dave123
just accept that you have different opinions yes

Rhino
sorry, mario is in A basketball game...from IGN

January 5, 2005 - What was rumored is now confirmed: Mario, Luigi, and Princess Peach will hit the court in the GameCube version of NBA Street V3, Electronic Arts' third installment of off-the-league arcade-style basketball...."We're very excited to be able to incorporate the Nintendo All-Stars, as well as their own authentic Nintendo court, into NBA Street V3," said V3 executive producer Wil Mozell. "There's nothing quite like seeing Mario, Luigi and Peach taking the over-the-top gameplay of NBA Street V3 to the extreme as they square off against some of today's top NBA stars and all-time greats...The decision will surprise GameCube fans, who are used to seeing simple ports of major sports titles from companies like EA. It may also offer Nintendo an edge this time around; while Street V3 is also coming to PlayStation 2 and Xbox, the Nintendo characters are, as you might imagine, GameCube exclusives." for the full article-

http://cube.ign.com/articles/577/577467p1.html

-and as for the mario games...ok maybe not every mario is about saving the princess but thats just what i heard the dude from Elec play say

Draco69
To Samas-Adian:

These are all very good points. But my points of accessories, future launch games, and Sony's versatility all give PSP the edge to contend with DS. The wind could blow either way.

Robo-Chocobo
wow. Hell really is freezing over.

Draco69
To Robo-Chocobo:

Nah, Cornell is more of an apathetic school. I learned that on my own. I personally don't know why the word "social outcast" is so offensive to you. Maybe because its true? big grin

Robo-Chocobo
Hey, I'm sure you know it's meaning the best.

Draco69
To Robo Chocobo:

Please! Cornell doesn't accept social outcasts. They accept the preppy straight A athletes who hosted and volunteered in a dozen charity benefits they really had no passion for. Like I was in high school.

dave123
PSP v DS, not member V member roll eyes (sarcastic)

Draco69
To Dave123:

I didn't start it. Robo-Chocobo got all worked up over the "social outcast" comment in my previous post. It had nothing to do with him and was not directed at him. For some reason he took offense to it. angel

dave123
well someone just be the bigger man and end it... cos you're both continuing it erm

Robo-Chocobo
and yet your on a forum, replying to my responses within 5 minutes. if your such a prep, then go volunteer for some tsunami relief.

Draco69
To Robo-Chocobo:

Nah! I'm in lazy spiff lately. I'm on my month-long winter break before I go to Ithaca. The only reason I did the charity benefits was to look good on my application. These forums are curiously addicting. Oh well.

BackFire
This is irrelevent, but preppies suck. Zit faced losers are cooler then them.

Draco69
To BackFire:

Cool. That's your opinion. Hope they can get a job.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Game designers.

Draco69
Game Designers: from $10,000 to $100,000 on average.

Ambitous Preps: $50,000 to Donald Trump.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Donald Trump is Bankrupt.

Draco69
ONE Casino is bankrupt. Hundreds of other money avenues are making him millions. Haven't you heard of the TV show "The Apprentice". He still one of the rich men in the world.

Robo-Chocobo
GET BACK ON TOPIC.

Rhino
i got an idea...why dont u guys discuss who would win but do no mention any past things about both companies like disregard the fact that nintendo was the best and hand held...u kno wat i mean?? just forget about the luggage that both companies bring along. i hate the fact that everyone likes ds just because its nintendo, and give a good reason y 2 small screens is better than a one wide screen

Robo-Chocobo
because 2 screens can do alot more of stuff than a wide screen.

you can show a cut-scene from 2 different angles.

you can have a menu on the bottom half in an rpg, or zelda game.

you can use the touch screen to do all sorts of stuff.

you can moniter 2 different events going on at once.

or a final fantasy game, where they show the monsters on the top, and your characters on the bottom screen. you can use the stylus to tweak everything, and get cool animations on the top screen.

simply, there is no limit of all the cool stuff you can do with 2 screens.

dave123
ever heard of split screen? stick out tongue

dark1365
A map and play screen in Super Mario DS is soooooooo helpful!

ZomBiE_HunTER
Here are the Sales of the Ds and Psp so far in Japan and looks like Ds is in the top.

Samas-adian
I think everybody is forgetting about the Gizmondo. Come on, Mp3 player, a video player, intergrated camera, GPS, Bluetooth technology and plays videogames. I think they will win the handheld wars because of all the cool stuff it provides in one little thing. I think it will beat out the DS and PSP because its offers soo much.

Robo-Chocobo
so you want to have half the screen taken up by a menu? your crazy.

dark- the question is, would you rather not have it? you can't judge the touch screen/ second screen from just one game. there are so many possibilities that just aren't present with only a wide screen.(although I love it's resolution) :P

xx/xy feel the magic uses both screens in conjunction flawlessly.

in one mini game, you moniter a burning fire, while doing other task. if it gets to low, you have to switch to fanning the flames.

in another, you use the 2 screens in conjunction to move spikes out of the way of guys coasitng down a hill in shopping carts, with the top screen showing you in advance where they are on the hill, and the botom screen the part filled with spikes you move with the stylus.

Handhelds can only go in 2 directions. they get more teched up, or they get all sorts of cool original ideas.

I mean, as much as I didn't really see the whole 2 screens thing coming, now that I think about it, it really was the only original idea left in the handheld market.

I like how sony is making the PSP so multifunctional. in all respect I think it's a fine idea Happy Dance. I won't start transfering my music from my IPod any time soon though.

Robo-Chocobo
what about the worlds must superior hand-held they mentioned in EGM(can't remember it's name).

IT PLAYS OVER 125 GAMES AND VARIENTS or brick, bee, pong, breakout, pac-man, and space invaders. ALL BUILT IN!!

THE LATEST IN HAND HELD TECHNO-Olagy

Samas-adian
Oh My God, that was soooo on my list for Christmas. But too bad, I didnt get. But what I did get was the best console ever. The 1000 games in one console. I saw it on an infomercial. It rocks, i can play kung fu in 5 different types of backgrounds. Awesome.

I love having a console that's not multifeature. I have a DVD player already and if i had an XBOX, i wouldnt be spending 50 bucks for the damn controller so i can use a player that sucks compared to regular dvd players.

SaTsuJiN
unfortunately cramming multi-functionality has become a needless ongoing trend.. I'd rather have a system that flawlessly does 1 thing, than unstably performing multiple simultaneous tasks to acommodate different media

Samas-adian
Exactly.

Rhino
windows make a house cold, u want a warm house without windows?? my computer surfs the net, plays music, movies, etc. The japanese psp is full of flaws but maybe SCEA will fix up psps b4 norht american release... hell, if ur poor y not use a tooth brush as a toilet brush laughing Happy Dance

Samas-adian
What does that window's and house's have to do with a gaming system that does everything at the same time.

Rhino
well, they're multi fuctional

Samas-adian
What?

Robo-Chocobo
I wouldn't minda little multi functionality with a handheld. If pictochat could be used like a PDA/day planner and I could leave myself notes, or save doodles or conversations, that would be awsome.

Robo-Chocobo
he was talking about how

windows make your house colder, and that if you wanted a house that was warm you would have no windows. but people want windows, they give light.

so he is saying that although it's a slight flaw, it does good as well.

Rhino
my point exactly thumb up

General Kaliero
but you don't pay $200-250 for one window. And windows don't shoot death shuriken at you.

Draco69
The PSP is actually going to be $179

ZomBiE_HunTER
Proof would be real nice cuz the last time i checked they dont even have the exact date.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>