Are comics too expensive?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Havoc470
as the title implies, are comics too expensive for some people?

i dont think they're expensive seeing as we live in a growing economy and everything has to have its price hiked up to survive, i make alright money at my job and buying the comics me and my g/f want isnt a problem, but thats not the case for everyone

of course there are the bloodsucking companies like IDWcomics where every comic costs 3.99, with penciling that an otter could draw, crappy storylines, and even crappier coloring, the only reason its 3.99 is because of the type of paper its made of, its everything you dont want in a comic and yet it sells confused

ScarletSpider
I agree they are expensive, but when I add up my average monthly cost for comics, it's nigh half the cost I spend on Cable TV each month, and you get to keep them. They are costly, but then again, so is everything else. Back in the day they were only 40 cents, but then again, people's paychecks were a fraction of what they are now. Although, inflation of goods has outdone inflation of pay. In the 60's you had more buying power than you do now. I can't remember the costs exactly, but on the average McDonalds paycheck in 1965 compared to the average McDonalds paycheck today (for highschool students in both scenarios) one had more buying power in 1965, as even though you only made 3 dollars an hour, a coca-cola was only like 30 cents. Today, minimum wage is roughly 7 dollars, but a coke is a buck each. In '65 you could get 10 on one hour's minimum wage, now you can get 7.

So don't complain about inflation of goods, complain about the Man putting you down and giving you less money. Or both, it doesn't matter.

goku-vs-superma
exactly what i've been saying all along! shifty

eleveninches

pr1983
bout 4-5 euros here sad

ScarletSpider
On average here:

DC is usually $2.50 or $2.95

Marvel is $2.25 or $2.99

Prices depend on popularity of the title and sales incentives. Ultimate titles are $2.25 because they traditionally sell very well, so they can afford to sell them for less since so many copies are moved. Other titles that fare a little worse are usually priced at $2.99

eleveninches

ScarletSpider
Yeah, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum, you have to look at the prices of other goods and wages of people. What's minimum wage where you live, and how does it proportionatly compare to minimum wage here, etc.

The Scribe
I believe they are getting more expensive. I've cutback some.
I use to buy about $40+ a week. The minimum wage needs to go up.
The government needs to stop letting prices go up on certain items.
I mean most cars are made of 85% plastic and aluminum, They need to put more steel in them, no more "crunch" zones. Also, cable needs to have an option where you can pick the channels YOU want. Cable tv has become too expensive and a monster. I'd rather have money for comics, books, magazines, and video games.

A4E
yay!! am "who cares" N. 1#!!!!

Havoc470
actually, at an online shop i buy things at i translate UK to US currency and US2.50 is the equivalent to UK1.80

DarkCrawler
Comics in Finland are pretty cheap, actually...I can get three comics that cost 9 dollars together with 5-6 euros...I think if you count the currencies, that is 1-2 dollars cheaper then in America...

The bad side is, that we are about two years behind you in plots...

radioboy121
Comics can get expensive if you have the habit of buying a large quantity of them per month. But it all depends on whether you buy them for enjoyment, or you buy them as a collectible - hoping they will appreciate in time. Some collectors worry that touching the comic would damage it, as your hands have destructive oils. I myself try to be careful as much as I can, but I I like reading them.

Havoc470
i buy big quantities in certain weeks when alot of my favorites come out, im really not one to care about collecting the comics, i have a really huge amount of comics over the years from even before i was born and they're fine, they arent even in a bag and board

the most ive spent on comics would range from 35-45 bucks, thats buying a bunch of tpb's, just released, and back issues

ScarletSpider
I usually try to shy away from spending exhorbitant amounts of money on comics all in one sitting. Need to eat and buy gas and all that fun stuff as well, plus I don't have a job lol, but I only turned 16 awhile ago, so I'm allowed some grace.

Though one time I did shell out $20...on all 25 cent back issues, it was crazy.

Havoc470
youre 16 so thats no big deal, but you still have to buy gas, you have a car and youre not working?

whobdamandog
You all must be a bunch of rich boys. When I stopped buying comics, average cover price was about 2.50. Yeah...everthing is subject to inflation, but comic prices continue to go up, and have added little value to the economy. Most of the comics I bought 5 years ago aren't even as valuable as the paper I use to wipe my ass with. The problem is that you have tons of overpaid writers and artists, as well as an over abundance of comic book universes(DC,Marvel,Image, Vertigo, Dark Horse,etc). Topple these problems on with having to compete with other entertainment mediums, and rising paper costs(BS) and you have a serious problem for those of us who are "financially challenged."

radioboy121
Indeed comics books can be classified as a luxury. But when I left comics for others things for a relatively long period of time, I kept myself busy with fiction novels, since I couldn't understand foreign translated comics on the newstand. When I first left, comics were edging past $1.95 and even then some of us were complaining.

whobdamandog
Man..I remember back in high school I was spending like 30 bucks a week on all the new comics from DC, Image, Marvel, and Dark Horse..

I just gave away all my comics recently. I had a collection of over 2000 with a net worth of probably about 5 to 10 G's easy. I just gave them away though..they were beginning to become to hard to maintain.

whobdamandog
I'm kind of drunk right now so if my grammar is bad forgive me..lol..hiccup..lol

ScarletSpider
I only got my license a couple months ago, so I usually pull the ol' switcheroo, take mom or dad's care for the day when my gastank gets low, so they have to fill it up. Heh heh heh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.