"Resident Evil: Deluxe Edition" DVD Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Alright, this is a special request from Mane, who already bought the DVD but wanted a review. blink

http://www.corsicas.com/corys/redvd.jpg

Title: "Resident Evil" Deluxe Edition ($19.99)

"Upon the release of "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", Screen Gems issued an updated DVD of the original installment. This time around, packed to the gills with overwhelming extras. Naturally better than the somewhat bare first run, here's the 411.

Picture: The second time around, "Resident Evil" gets a "High Definition" transfer, picture wise, and it shows. It sounds cliche, but the picture seems crisper, the brights brighter, etc. Basically, it makes even the crappiest television look good. The transfer is a 1:85:1 Anny. No biggie.

Sound: English, French, and Portuguese 5.1 DD language tracks and oor friends "south of the border" are stuck with a measly DS 2.O. Not so bueno. We're treated to 2 commentary tracks on this little gem, the first with Anderson, Milla, and Michelle, with the 2nd featuring the special effects crew. Yippee!

Extras: Check this out..

* 11 featurettes, including a 15 MINUTE long segment documenting how the game translated into the movie. While not as faithful an adaption, it's very solid. The 2nd, my favorite, "Scoring Resident Evil", featuring interviews with Marco Beltrami AND Marilyn Manson, discussing how their colaboration was a match made in heaven. Clocking in around 12 minutes, it's a fun watch.

* Alternate ending. It's horrible. Skip it.

* Original trailers for both RE movies, deep filmographies, and some other goodies.

OVERALL: I thoroughly enjoyed "Resident Evil", and consider it one of better video game adaptations in movie history, so the movie scores a solid 8/10. The features, with extras included, a 9/10, for an overall score of 8.5/10. I consider it a necessary upgrade for those who bought the original offering. Skip the "Superbit" version and grab the DEFINITIVE "Evil".

Mane
Bravo! clapping

Yeah I own it...I guess...I like your reviews?? Oh, and yeah the alternate ending is really really stupid. erm

jnolan
anyone care to tell what the alternate ending is, in spoiler format if you want, please and thanks !

Cinemaddiction
Sure.

Basically, Alice walks into Umbrella a few months after the Racoon City incident, knowing that they are holding Matt, ultimately for the Nemesis project, and she's determined to kick ass. She's got on this "Matrix" like black trenchcoat, and goes to pull guns on the security guards. Anderson said then there were supposed to be flurry of smart rockets that targeted the guards, and chaos would insue.

It totally wouldn't have worked, besides, the original ending was incredible.

dean7879
nice review cory

how do u set the picture up like u do
when i attach a pic it always appears at the bottom

Cinemaddiction
Just have to hyperlink it, by that I mean take the URL if the image and put the image tags around it. I can't show them to you, b/c they'll show up as a pic, but the UBB code is under the FAQ section.

dean7879
k cheers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.