A Horror Fan's Revelation ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zilverz
So, I have been on my horror kick for a year or so now. My watching/buying HORROR movie habbits went from a total of about 5% to 85-90%. I went from 2 horror dvdz to 38. I know 38 is hardly much, but im on a budget

Maybe I just got a little too analytical, but I was trying to understand my new found fascination. Why had it mezmorized me and totally changed my viewing habbits. I determined that horror movies truly are the superior film. Wow, where is this guy going? Well I looked at other HIGH QUALITY films I own. Drama, Action, Comedy. They are all outstanding. But I believe they truly lack the challenege that a horror film is presented with. A horror film attempts to frighten/terrify you. Provoking emtion is common in the other categories too. But I think it is much easier to provide character developement and have something happen to them to provoke people into being sad or happy. Many Horror films contain this as well, just that they are also trying to make you jump, get edgy, make your hairs stand up, hide under the covers, and be paranoid even after the movie is over. Much more difficult to achieve. I think it is also an emotion that we know little about and makes it all the more fascinating when cinema can manipulate me so.

I know there are some real horror nuts in here and would love to read some of your explainations of taste.

slayer
Thx for sharing tht with us Silverzsmile

Agreed.

My fascination for the horror genre also began about a year and a half ago and i haveKmcc to thank a bunch for it.

Thx Guys!!

Cinemaddiction
Horror has been running in place for so any years now that we end up liking even the most mediocre of movies that offer something fresh, i.e. "Cabin Fever", some of you, only because it's an old familiar presented in a new way. Being analytical of Horror is almost impossible for hardcore general movie fans to do because the genre recycles its elements in almost every single movie. Now, it's just a contest to see who can evoke the most fear, not through the storyline which gets sacrificed anyway, but the oddball visuals. Horror movies were never too high on the hog with storylines anyway, now since people are so easily intrigued, writers get lazy, and go for the occult visuals.

As for my purchasing habits, I buy Horror flicks still, but I'm an elitist, and only the most original and important make it home with me. Now, that too is subjective, but I feel as if "Hellraiser" is a must own for all gorehounds. It's the epitome of originality.

pr1983
hellraiser has pride of place in my collection. i got the 1-3 boxset really cheap one christmas, bargain. fourth one aint the best, but the original trilogy pisses on most modern horror...

BREN
HEYA GUYS im flattered ive been the subject of conversation so here goes ill try not spare any info on my collecting habits
i originally started collecting in 1983,im from the uk originally,in 1983 the bbfc decided that movies on video should have ratings,and decided that 81 of the movies allready released should be banned outright!
the titles were movies like cannibal holocaust,ferox,cannibal apocalypse,snuff,i spit on your grave,last house on the left even movies like the burning and the evil dead(slightly cut version anyway!!) were prosecuted
distributors were told to cease selling and rental stores were told to pull them from their stores and basically destroy them,any store caught renting this obscene(laff my arse off) would be fined and the store owner faced jail
so my parents being pretty liberal minded had allready rented most of these movies(i mean we rented 2-5 movies every nighty) my dad was pretty well off at the time
so my parents were friends with 2 ppl wh owned rental stores ,so i asked my dad to ask em what they were gonna do with the 81 banned titles (remember these were on both vhs & beta) so they told my dad they were removing em from the stores so iasked if it was possible to buy em from them at 5 pounds per week (my pocket money/allowence)
so they agreed it took me a total of 2 years to buy them by this time i was 15 yrs old and ready to leave school (we finish school at 16 in the uk )
so i startted work as a trainee satellite engineer and quickly became an engineer i was making in excess of 800 pounds a week so most of my money went on buying old precert (pre rated uk video tapes,pre 1983) as most were uncut
i amassed a lot in a short period i was picking rare movies like expose (house on straw hill,allso banned ) for 1 pound
after exhausting most of the banned and rare tapes from the uk i moved further a field to places like the usa,japan,hollan etc ive visted many many countrys,e.g i went on a trip to amsterdam and spent 2000 pounds on tapes i was there exactly 8 hrs,lol
i found an old rental store in the heart of amsterdam and said ok i got this much money i wanna buy movies ,most stores say there not for sale but in my 20+ years of collecting,every1 will sell if u offer enough money,the most expensive movie i ever bought wasnt a tape it was a japanese laser disc of dawn of the dead,limited to only 3000 and had both the romero directors cut and argentos european cut it cost me 380 pounds i later sold it for close to 500 when i stopped collecting laser discs
i own just about any and every rare and obscure horror movie u can care to mention (now dont get me wrong i have been collecting since 1983,i didnt do this overnight) at my parents house in the uk sits 6112 rare,banned,imported all totally uncut tapes ,not only do i not own only 1 copy of some movies but for instance i own 7 different deep reds(profondo rosso),2xuk(precert),greek(mr.video)usa thorn emi and the later hbo)the dutch tape and the japanese releases the distributors escape me,oh shit yeah i own 2 out of print australian releases aswell on the 7keys label(since i now live in australia)
the rarest tape in the uk,banned since 1983 which i own 3 of 2 on vhs and 1 on beta is the beast in (the) heat ,jvi video rochdale,lancashire,the vhs can fetch up to 500 pounds,each!!
so guys if u are in any doubts as to if im a bullshitter or not just ask me something,i know ppl will dobt my sincerity,as theres a lot of bullshitters around,but in my case i aint 1 of em,u only have my word i know but im proud of my collection so feel free to ask me any questions
oh btw theres 1 movie ive never been able to get my dirty paws on GIALLO A VENIZIA was released by star video(italy),only official release ive ever heard of ,ps all my movies are 100 % originall i even know what type of tapes were used in the manufacture of most of the rare or banned uk stuff,e.g thorn/emi used national tapes,vipco(u brits will know who they are,im talkin there precert stuff not new)used rca tapes any way guys thats all i have to say hope u found my story at least a little interesting all the best BREN

this item was allso added to gateway horror movies thread smile

dean7879
yeah ive got that boxset
hellraiser is wicked and pinhead is the scariest and most deadly horror character eva! and he's british stick out tongue
lol
i didnt get the cube version of the boxset

Zilverz
I couldnt classify myself as a hardcore horror fan. Im only 1 year old on this kick. So I wouldnt neccisarily be the best at identifying recycled elements. However, if I deem a horror movie bad, mediocre, great, or outstanding I still give them all my respect. My respect is deserved for opting to take on a more challenging project. Not saying that I give garbage movies any positive reviews based on that. It is just what I feel personaly, with my new found love.

Zilverz
Bren your collection sounds like It is worth a small fortune. Im Jealous!!

tabby999
i've only been a horror fan for a few years, and even now i can point out the obvious copys and similaritys in movies that are out there. i love horror because i find violence funny when its done in horror movies (and in life sometimes like when people fall of skateboards and bikes and stuff like that) because its so over the top. nothing like watching someone have their rib cage torn out.

and as for horror movie buying, i only buy ones i think i'm going to be able to watch more than a few times, what the point of buying when you'll watch it once then never again?

BREN
the point is or was that started me collecting if u read my post was they banned movies in the uk,u may not be aware tabby but theres quite a few films banned on video in australia,and a lot heavilly cut
which makes these banned or uncut movies rarer than rocking horse shit,lol
check this site out if ud like to know whats cut and uncut and banned in australia http://www.refused-classification.com/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.