Three...Extremes 2 DVD set Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shaolin Monk
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/da_ghost_/11195.jpg
Title: Three...Extremes 2 DVD set(aka Three, Monster)

Length: Box - 40 minutes
Dumplings - 37 minutes
Cut - 48 minutes

Release Date: September, 2004

Price: Will vary, you can nab some cheap copies on ebay (between 30 cents and 10 dollars)

Three...Extremes is a DVD with 3 short stories from 3 of the most popular directors in Asia. Takashi Miike directs "Box", Fruit Chan directs "Dumplings", and Park Chan-Wook directs "Cut".

Picture: The picture is letterboxed and set in a wonderful Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9. The Picture is bright with exuberant color, and each feature is grain-free, unlike past films from each of these directors.

Audio: Spoken languages are Cantonese, Japanese and Korean. Dolby Digital EX and DTS Extended Surround Sound make for a good experience. Also, Miike has a way with sounds, and displays this in Box.

Subtitles: English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese.

Features: Disc 1: Still image of the DVD cover in the background, with "Chapter Selection", "Setup", and "Play" along the bottom. Disc 2: Scenes from each movie flash in the background, with options along the bottom.

Extras: A Storyline extra, which was supposed to give some background information on each movie, but it really didn't. Also a "Making Of..." feature, which I felt was rather short. A trailer for Three...Extremes is also present, as is the trailer for Dumplings, which was first created as a 90 minute movie, but cut down to be added to this DVD (you can buy the full length version of Dumplings also). There are also numerous biographies on cast from each film.

Cut stars Lee Byung-Hun
Box stars Hasegawa Kyoko
Dumplings stars Mariam Yeung and Bai Ling

Overall: The DVD gets an 9/10 and the extras get a 6 out of 10. I didn't think that the extras were really that "extra". Each film is wonderful, and each director goes a little askew from their normal route. Many complain about becoming bored during films that have been created by these 3 men, but these short films don't give you a chance to be bored. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys horror films to purchase a copy of Three...Extremes.

(I could explain what each movie is about if ppl are interested...I didn't want to go into too much detail unless someone was interested)

Cinemaddiction
Kind of sounds like the Japanese equalivalent of "Creepshow" or "Two Evil Eyes".

Solid review, I may have to poke around for that one.

MildPossession

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.