Best Zombie Film Ever

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
Vote for your favourite zombie film here:

Also id like to discuss old zombie films versus new ones and remakes, personally i think the remakes are much better, with the fast zombies becoming a formidable foe and being more frightening, old zombie films are only really good for kitsch and myth value, most are ridiculous and comical, your thoughts?

dean7879
old zombie films are the best...faster zombies are more frightening but i dont class them as zombies if they can run...slow ones are the best

my fav zombie film is dawn of the dead.....i also recommend let sleeping corpses lie

eggmayo
Thats my problem, you've named two of the greatest movies ever, Dawn and Braindead. I also love the remake of Dawn, so there is realistically no way I will be able to vote on this poll.

BackFire
Dawn of the Dead

Cinemaddiction
Day. Best make up, best special effects, best gore, best character development, best script, best characters, and I could go on...

Zilverz
i absolutely LOVE all the headshots in Dawn of the dead .... but Day of the Dead is the best zombie film in my opinion

dean7879
its a shame that romero didnt get more money cos he said that he could of made it better...the film you see wasnt his original idea
thats a shame really

Cinemaddiction
It suffered from a poor marketing campaign, as well, which is weird because even the crappiest Horror flicks thrived in the mid 80's.

As We Collapse
I put DOTD original

BackFire
Day of the Dead was no recieved well during the 80's. They said it was missing the "flash" and the fun of Dawn of the Dead. They said it felt like more of the same (despite the fact that it's feel is drastically different from Romero's other flicks), and was slow. It was considered a bomb by most critics, both financially and artistically.

It took them nearly 20 years to realize that the exact oposite is true. It was a film that was ahead of its time.

tabby999
i enjoyed Undead the most, but thats just me...

Mane
I enjoyed the originality and reinvention of 28 Days Later the most.

BlackC@t
Amen brother! eek!

But I like the look of Frank and Freddy in 'The Return of the Living Dead' just before they become zombies, they have dark brown patches around their eyes and white skin.

In my opinion, that's how recently turned zombies should look.

Cinemaddiction
Well, the presentation in "28 Days Later" was original, but the story was a little hackneyed, since we already saw it in "The Omega Man", "The Last Man on Earth" and then again at the end of "Resident Evil". STILL, the presentation, re-invention, and execution are what made it such a damn good movie, and that's all that matters.

tabby999
i scored well i've managed to get both a 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead movie poster! yay me!

WindDancer
A pity the poll didn't included Lucio Fulci's Zombie.

Mane
Agreed. I'm saying the new approach towards the Infection is what made it so original.

Cinemaddiction
I don't think any of Fulci's movies belong in a "Best of.." poll because he's a mediocre director. Especially not "Zombie", because he didn't write it. He's as mediocre a director as Romero, who I find to be overrated, and NOT getting credit for the right reasons.

When it comes to special effects, Fulci's the godfather of gore. Storywise, he's the godfather of bore.

Mane
Ohh rhyming KO, courtesy of Cory! stick out tongue

WindDancer
To me he does. Zombie had some of the best scenes in any Zombie movie. The Zombie fighting the shark and the infamous eye scene made this film worth watching again and again. What I like the most is that Fulci centralizes the film in the Caribbean which is the birth place of the zombie myths. Also the music in the film help build tension in the film. The score was great and the sounds of the drums (symbols of voodoo) added more suspence to the film.

Besides, I would put Fulci's Zombie over House of the Dead any day of the week.

Napalm
28 days later...yeah I know they not really zombies

ironmovies
The oldies r da best Long live romero and 28 days l8r was awesome
shaun was 2 funny

Zilverz
Catchy little phrase there, but your definately speaking for yourself only.
Zombi and The Beyond are very entertaining. In both movies I was sucked in and pulling for the main characters to survive and following the story very closely.

Cinemaddiction
I always speak out or opinion, and I figured I've been here long enough for people to know that. stick out tongue

I'll elaborate. I feel as if Fulci and Romero have a lot in common, talent wise. Where Romero can write a kick ass, smart as hell script with rich characters, but none of his movies really require much direction. There's no sense of urgency in the latter two installments of the "Dead" trilogy, IMO. The zombies have to play dead, and the main characters are holed up somewhere, so they aren't in any real immediate danger, atleast not enough to merit bursting out in a spiel of dramatic thesbianism. While it's not necessarily a bad thing, Romero tends to have TOO much fun with his movies, abandoning the whole scare factor that made the original famous.

Of the 6 Fulci movies I have seen, it looks as if the meat of his films were sacrificed for the sake of appeasing gorehounds. He writes FANTASTIC stories with exotic locals and insane settings, but the acting is horrible, the voice over talent selection was weak, the characters always seemed vanilla or too ridiculous to be believable, and like Romero, never really produced any tension.

"Zombie", to this day, I still feel is overrated, because its fanfare is mostly based on the gore factor, whereas people forget that there are PLENTY of other zombie films with copious amounts of gore, deep characters, interesting locales, and a fantastic script, all of which I didn't think you could find in "Zombie". That movie, one that is SORELY underrated, IMO, is called "Day of the Dead".

WindDancer
Yup, and I don't understand how can someone say Lucio Fulci's Zombie is over rated. Hardly there isn't much fanbase except for horror fans that have heard of Fulci. And is even consider a Cult Classic which there isn't much to say. Besides the film didn't have a high budget or a well known cast. Even The Beyond didn't have a large budget and is still had some excellent gore memorable scenes. I was pleased with the work, and don't feel like throwing catchy phrases to explain my satisfaction of Fulci films. I'm just glad the film was made and I was able to see it.

Zilverz
well how much tension are you looking for ? you have to sacrifice some tension for safe times for the characters to develope. I think romero's movies do offer a decent amount of tension. Night - constant beat down on the house trying to get in, Dawn - trapped again / salavini breaks through baracade and allows all the zombies back in, Day - platform comes down laoded with zombies and the baracade is also breached. Zombi - Zombie on the boat, zombies in the house with the hottie, car breaks down in middle of zombie infestation, zombies from grave, showdown with flaming cocktails.. Surely, I COULD use more jockey urination scenes. but it is still a WHAT IF scenario. We dont know if everything would have flowed as smooth as it did.

Please note: Cine needz more urination worthy direction to give a 100% postive review (:

tabby999
whats House of the Dead like, i've seen it many times in the video shop but never got it, it looked really generic and bland

Cinemaddiction
Don't bother.

MornGlory
what about Shaun of the Dead?

papabeard
SHAUN OF THE DEAD IS EXCELLENT, it has all the mythology , the humour, well developed funny charachters, also all the references to other zombie and horror films.

tabby999
duely noted

eggmayo
Is House of the Dead based on the game?

papabeard
YUP , its based on the game, trailers look good.

ANyone seen it ?

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, it's ass. It has blips of the video game just to say it had any correlation.

eggmayo
Eh, is it worth an hour of my time downloading it?

Cinemaddiction
Not IMO.

eggmayo
Well, I trust you on all things horror related. wink

sorcerer4u
For me, it's Night of the Living Dead, but the remake (1990). I find the remake more attractive that the original.

Soth
Shaun of the Dead kicks ass

papabeard
ANYONE Seen ZOMBIE NOSH?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.