What Is the Best Band Of All?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Circadian Rythm
Besides Us Of Course. big grin

Deathblow
Us suck no

eggmayo
I dont think you can name a best band, someone will always disagree.
IMO, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath or Guns N' Roses.

Bierbommetje
Do you mean our favorite band or what we think is the best band in the world?

Theres been like a million threads on either, but ok, im not a ***** when it comes to bumping my postcount.

Fave band at the moment: Metallica
Best band in the world IMO: Im way to ignorant to even think of answering this question.

coolboarder98
My fave right now is Zeppelin, Floyd, and pretty much any old school kickin' rock band

Df02
i dont have a favourite band of all time, i change so quickly i cant keep a favourite all time band.

Alec Empire would be up in the top 2 or 3 tho smile

ElectricBugaloo
Best ever = Beatles, hands down.

Tptmanno1
I think beatles are overrated.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
The Beatles by far!!!! and Simple Plan lol jk

SlipknoT
Well I love Slipknot, but I cant say they're the best band ever. I'm going with Slayer or Black Sabbath.

Darth Revan
What is it with people saying the Beatles are overrated? You may not like their music, but you must recognize the enormous influence they had on music... Remember that there was a time when the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. smile

Red Superfly
Nowt wrong wit' Beatles. ANyone who says they are the best, you can see why. Just let em have it.

I'd have to go with The Stone Roses. Short and sweet.

Tptmanno1
WEll I stand by my statement, IMO Influence does not =greatness. Greatness comes from musicianship, originality and quatlity. Therefore Nirvana is not great, neither are the Beatles.

Now Great, Tool maybe? but Im just throwing that out.

Deathblow
Yep I agree with Tp. I believe the Beatles are hugely overrated. They were popular at the time, and they did influence a lot of (if not all) bands in some way, but they sound ridiculously small when compared to say Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Although they were great musicians, no doubt about that.

Their iconic status is unquestionable, but music-wise IMO they were basically just a talented pop group.

Afro Cheese
It sounds cliche but the Beatles were the best band ever that I can think of. They had so much great material and you may think their overrated and they are but name me a band that could be considered the greatest ever that couldn't be considered overrated. Unless you give me some underground band that nobody's heard of I'd be willing to bet you can't name one.

Deathblow
Notice how I haven't actually posted a band in this thread. I never said anything about my own views as to the best band in the world, I just gave my reasons for thinking the Beatles are overrated. In fact, I know there is no such thing as a 'greatest band ever'. Music is one of the few things in life that is entirely down to opinions, and so there is absolutely no way you can set any band in stone as the greatest of all time.

Snakebyte

Afro Cheese
Actually I was talking to the guy who said the Beatles weren't great but Tool are. Tool, as great as they are, are overrated. Especially by people who consider them to be the best band ever. I don't see how anyone could say the Beatles weren't great.. They had more than just a big influence they have great music. They wrote awesome songs and had more consistency than any other band I've ever seen. What beatles albums have you listened to anyway Tptmanno?

Deathblow
Knew that ermm

Afro Cheese
My fault.. guess I should of quoted him.

finti
to call Beatles overrated and then talk about Tool as great, get real. Tool have an awesome drummer but thats about it, Tool must be one if not the all time overrated band ever.

Personally I dont think Beatles is the greates band ever, but it is all aboout taste so it is impossible to reach a conclusion on the subject.

But to call Beatles overrated and then suggest Tool is just a big laugh that goes beyond taste.

Red Superfly
Tool? What the f**k?

I think they are cool and all, but when it comes to "Greatest of All", two words come to mind. "As" and "if".

Deathblow
Honestly, I think this all comes down pretty much to heritage. The Beatles are legendary, you say their name and everyone knows who you're talking about. Tool are much less well known, and they're relatively unknown band outside of the rock community, as they don't get into the charts like the Beatles did. Apparently this automatically makes Beatles great, and Tool just a 'cool' gen x band who don't really mean much because they haven't had 1000 number 1 singles.

Personally, I'd take Tool over the Beatles anyday. I think they are better band (I'd like to her the Beatles make something as beautifully complex as Schism or The Patient). Ridicule all you want, it's what I believe, and I have a right to believe it. Tool are one of the greatest bands I've ever heard, and believe me, I've heard a few. I also think in 10 years time when Tool have disbanded, they will have become the stuff of legends. Old doesn't mean good, remember that.

moonwalker741
green day, imo though

Afro Cheese
The funny thing is if you went up to the members of Tool and told them that the beatles are overrated and they are so much better they'd probably call you crazy themselves. I mean I'll give Tool more credit than finti is.. they make really good music but greatest band ever? That's taking it too far in my opinion. But yeah you do have the right to think that I'm just saying.. And I didn't say the Beatles because they were always in the charts. I said the Beatles because I think they have more good material than any other band, write great songs, and have very diverse and consistent albums.

Darth Revan
I agree... As much as I like Tool, it's really too early to kick them up to "legendary status". Maybe in 15 or 20 years people will think of them in the same way people think of Zeppelin and Pink Floyd now, but it's far too soon to call them that just yet.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Tool, and I do think they are better musicians than any of the Beatles... I think any one of them could be put in the running for the best ever at their particular instrument. But they haven't yet achieved enough influence and recognition to be put up there with the Beatles. They're both great, but Tool aren't great in the same way the Beatles are.

Afro Cheese
Fair enough.. the Beatles aren't really known for their instrumental talent though they are talented at that too.. I think their more well known for their song writing.

baracustastic
IMHO

Guns N Roses

Tptmanno1
Man, I suggest Tool and i get pounced on.
To whoever asked, I forget, I have listened to Revolver (one of the best Beatles Albums, or so I've heard) and found it lacking. even annoying at times. The Beatles are like Green Day, Some songs are catchy but they are far surpasses in musicianship, originality and the ever important Talent. The one thing that I give them credit for is influence. If this thread was "what is the most influential band?" I would agree with the Beatles whole hearted-ly.

But its like saying that the Wright Brothers are better Airplane builders than the person who made the First Jet, just because they came first. NO They invented it, but someone else perfected it.

Out of all the bands I've heard, Tool is the best, but I just threw that out as an exaple of a band I believe is better than the Beatles. and I can come up with a list of reasons why as well. But for Best ever? I don't know and like Deathblow said, music is too much of a matter of opinion to make a definite judgment.

Afro Cheese
You listened to revolver and found it lacking? In what area? Revolver is a great album.

Tptmanno1
I did, I just didn't have a fufilled feeling after it.
The one song with the round in it, Forget the name but Bleg.. A
And Yellow Submarine?

Afro Cheese
A Yellow Submarine was a corny pop hit but still a pretty good song. But not even close to the best song on the album. My personal favorites are probably "Eleanor Rigby" and the less popular "For No One." I don't know what you were expecting from the album that left you disappointed but you have some really high standards in music if you're disappointed by the Beatles.

Tirekicker
I've got to go with the Smashing Pumpkins... I have my reasons. Most important being that Billy Corgan is my rock n' roll hero. And as far as I'm concerned that's not up for discussion. Long live guitar heroes!! rock

MornGlory
I've always liked Oasis no expression cant help, really. I cant!

ElectricBugaloo
hahaha

The Beatles put out amazing and technically amazing records. I mean, even their early stuff features chord progressions that bands today find hard to do. Their later work only grew more complex and well written.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Page managed to sloppily steal blues riffs. Listen to him play - the notes aren't anywhere near being as clean as, say, Stevie Ray Vaughans or other technically proficient guitarists. It's like listening ot Van Halen - he plays fast, but at the expense of quality sometimes. Not to say that ALL of EVH's stuff is sloppy, but sometimes he just forced it.

George Harrison never went and played out of his ability - he was a very good guitarist, and nearly always played clean solos that while not as impressive as a 15 minute solo were perfect for the task. The real emphasis wasn't on how much of his ego he could stroke by playing a long guitar solo, but rather in fitting melody, harmony and rhythm together in a sonically pleasing platform. THAT'S what the beatles were all about.

And in doing so, they changed the scope of music forever. They progressed from a Chuck Berry- Elvis- inspired band to a band that pushed all the bands around them to write something better. I mean, Lennon/McCartney pushed Brian Wilson to write Pet Sounds which in turn pushed The Beatles to write Abbey Road. Led Zeppelin realized that they couldn't write enough music to keep up and so kept rehashing Yardbirds tunes and old folk/blues tracks.

Also, the beatles NEVER wrote a bad album. Zeppelin wrote Coda. Pink Floyd had many bad records. While some bands were at The Beatles level for an album or two, no one could keep up with them for a whole career. And when you look at the time that they wrote all their albums, it grows even more amazing. They were only together writing original music from 1963-1969. Six years, and they wrote at least 4 of the very best albums ever made and another half dozen very good albums. No one has ever done that, and no one will ever do it again.

In songwriting, Lennon/McCartney are only rivaled by Dylan, Wilson, Leonard Cohen and maybe Elliott Smith.
Paul was a very good bass player and could have been great if he had not concentrated on songwriting and learning every instrument.
George Harrison is still considered on of the most influential and technically gifted guitarists of his time.
John Lennon was one of the, if not the, greatest songwriters of all time.
And Ringo was there.
Couple these pieces with the genius of George Martin...you have a band that will never be equalled.

MornGlory
electric?? that was a lot of writing.. was I suppose to read all that...

i like the beatles - I guess I am suppose to if I like Oasis

Lilli08
Well I'm going to go with the rest of the people on this one. The Beatles definitely. They were like 'it'. ABBA were a great band too in my opinion but obviously not as great as The Beatles. As for The Beatles being overrated, no way! But I guess that's you opinion.

Lilli08
*your

MornGlory
i hate it when people say the beatles were overrated..

none of us lived during when they were actually "big" ...its sad we didnt get to experience that

baracustastic
Guns N Roses, when they were as one, are the best band I've ever heard. The beatles wrote good pop/rock. I have a mate who is Beatles bonkers, he has the anthology DVD and watches it every time he's stoned. From watching that, I reckon the Beatles were crap live. GNR live CD is excellent. If I wanted to see any band live it wuld be GNR, Beatles nowhere close.

Also Lennon (mocking disabled people) and McCartney (cheating on dying wife) are both wankers. Ringo is a legend though.
GNR might have been a band full of phuck-ups, but they were honest about it.

Afro Cheese
Supposedly th Beatles live show was not a great musical experience because they had so many fans screaming that you couldn't hear the damn music. Or so I've heard.

dark1365
Led Zepplin.

Bierbommetje
I bet if the Beatles's influence wasnt nearly as big as it was/is, many people wouldnt regard them as highly (not aimed at anyone).

That was probably posted before, but Im in a lazy mood right now.

And yes its true that Beatles shows were hardly audible for the band, cause of all the screaming fans. Thats one of the reasons they stopped giving live shows after a couple of years, or so ive heard.

Deathblow
Yeah but that's just down to their notorious modesty.

I didn't say I thought they were the greatest band ever, I just said I preferred them to the Beatles. In the future I'm sure they will become legends, just like the Beatles & Zeppelin & The Stones are now. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Musical progression didn't suddenly freeze 20 or so years ago, there are actually (one or two) bands right now who will stand the test of time. Tool being one.

Afro Cheese
I know that the Beatles get more credit than they deserve.. and they especially did when they were big. A lot of the people that were buying Beatles records and going to Beatles shows were just little teeny boppers who weren't really all that into the music but just got swept into the whole "Beatlemania" thing. But the thing is, if you go back and listen to their music now it is good music and they weren't just some lucky pop band, they did put alot of originality and effort into their albums.

Afro Cheese
Tool are a great and original band but The Beatles, Zeppelin, and the Stones were all huge in their own time as well as being legends now. Tool are great to a select group of people, but there are a lot of people I know that have heard Tool and don't like them or at least don't see the big deal about them. Their talent is undeniable.. but the music they make only attracts some people while others are unimpressed. So even in 20 years I can't see them being as legendary as any of the 3 bands you mentioned are. But hey, I could be wrong.

ElectricBugaloo
Actually, The Beatles were a very good live band who played literally hundreds of shows in the rough clubs of Hamburg. There is a good description in Shout! The Beatles In Their Generation. Most of these were with Pete Best. The performances were energetic, drug-filled extravaganzas that would be repeated the next night for the rest of the whores and sailors.

Their performances of 'Twist and Shout', the show-closer, are now legendary. They actually had a competition going with the other band (I can't remember which band) to see who could stomp through the stage, and I believe it was finally the other band who did it. They celebrated with cheap champagne.

But I digress.

The thing that Tool can never escape is that they are inherently trapped in a certain type of music in a way the Beatles never were. Look at 'Help!' when compared to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' or 'Yesterday' or 'Helter Skelter' or 'Rocky Racoon'. While Tool more or less plays similar sounding music, The Beatles evolved greatly. Sgt Pepper's is totally different than With THe Beatles or any of their previous work.

That is another thing that made the beatles so great. The Stones also progressed greatly, but mostly in response to other acts that were out there, and it was reactionary. While The Beatles reacted to other bands, they didn't do it to copy, but used it as a stepping stone to greater things.

baracustastic
Who are Tool? Never heard of them. Are they one of these weird American bands like Fish, or Ben Folds Five?

startxthexmosh
i dunno! hard question.elvis was rad.but hes not a band.

ElectricBugaloo
Haha, if you are going to even go the old rock and roll route, you have to go Chuck Berry. His voice was better than Elvis', he was more original than elvis, he was a better guitar player - but he was black, and at the time that was a big deal.

Tptmanno1
I stand by my statement,
I find the Beatles unoriginal and basicly boring.
Therefore IMO They are NOT the best band. Maybe you think they are, but that doesn't make it true.

O and by unoriginal, I basicly mean easy to duplicate. I listen to them now and If I didn't know they were the beatles, meaning they played a song I never heard before. I would Dismiss them as another pop/punk MTV thingy....
But I stress Opinon. This is what I think, and what I like, and therfore has no bearing on anyone else. To say that Beatles are "the Best band ever Period." Is false because you take an opinion and make it a fact. Its not a fact to me, and will never will be.

Silver Stardust
Whoever said Tool songs more or less sound the same apparently hasn't listened to very many...

The Beatles are WAY overrated. Personally, I don't care for them at all. Not my style of music, for one thing...and everyone is always like "OMFG they're the best band ever!!!" Guess what. Yeah, they did influence music a lot. But that does NOT make them the best band ever. That just means that they were what was popular at the time and everyone tried to emulate. Personally, I think most Beatles songs sound the same.

I won't even say what I think the best band would be because I know that everyone will jump down my throat, as has already happened to Tpt and Deathblow, simply because we don't agree with the rest of you.

ElectricBugaloo
Obviously I'm stating my opinions, but I'm backing htem up with facts. It's a fact that their song structure is beyond what most pop or rock acts do today. It's a fact that they did things decades before most bands caught up. It's a fact that Lennon and McCartney are considered the best pop songwriting duo of all time by nearly every critic. It's a fact that The Beatles influenced everyone from Black Sabbath to current rock bands like Jet and Oasis (for better or worse)

That's dumb - that means that influential hardcore acts like Minor Threat and Black Flag were 'unoriginal' because other bands were aping their music. It means that Black Sabbath is unoriginal because Helmet apes their music.

You want to know if it is a Beatles cut? listen to the chord progression. Listen to the writing, they are 99% of the time more complex and original than their clones. If you dismiss them as "another pop/punk MTV thingy" then you obviously aren't listening to them. Beyond Helter Skelter, nothing in their repertoire would come close to anything that resembles punk. And even that didn't have the classic three chord attack that most punk is based on.

It's fine to have opinions, but it's better to have an informed opinion.

Silver Stardust
A fact which is based on opinions.

ElectricBugaloo
That is just dumb and not true. If you can honestly tell me that Yesterday resembles Helter Skelter or Here Comes The Sun or Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band or A Day In the Life, then you must be at least partially deaf. The five songs each are totally different in structure and totally differently written.

ElectricBugaloo
Opinions of nearly ever band to come after them, and nearly every critic that has ever heard their work.

Silver Stardust
Well you know what, this is based on opinion. And to me, most Beatles songs sound the same, and I do not care for them one bit. Deal with it. I do not have to agree with what you think.

And I can safely say that I am not partially deaf, nor am I musically ignorant, being as I am a violinist, have been for 10 years now, and have perfect pitch.

Silver Stardust
That does not change the fact that it is still an opinion.

Tptmanno1
Doesn't mean I have to share it.
Everyone and their mother Like Napolean Dynamite, I still think it blew balls.

ElectricBugaloo
I cannot belive that you can honestly say Helter Skelter sounds like anything else the beatles did. Or that songs from Sgt Pepper's sound like songs from Help! Or that Abbey Road recordings sound like the pre-Help! recordings.

Silver Stardust
Like I said, deal with it. I happen to have different musical tastes.

And you know what I call people who go along with what all the critics say? Sheep.

And with the music I grew up with, it's no surprise to me that I don't like the Beatles...because to me they're nothing but prissy pop music. Give me Metallica or Tool or Nirvana or NIN over Beatles anyday.

ElectricBugaloo
Haha, prissy pop music...nice to see that you have heard their music at all. Or understood the social context.

don't get me started on Nirvana.

Tptmanno1
See If I don't like something, I don't Dive right into it and try to find subltys, I only do that if I like it.
I don't like the Beatles. < THats my statement.
I heard revolver and found it annoying and boring. < Thats my reasonings.
I like Tool better than Beatles <'nother statement
IMO Tool has better lyrics, song structure, Rythm, and bass. They also are more original and accually have a message and a purpose to their music. They are also more educated than the Beatles and it shows in their music. <my Reasonings.

Silver Stardust
Yeah, I have heard a LOT of the Beatles, I have several friends who like them very much. And I simply don't like them. I don't give a shit about the social context; if the music doesn't appeal to me it's really hard to give a damn about the lyrics.

ElectricBugaloo
Tool has many, many obvious influences that they have taken:

King Crimson
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Rush
Led Zeppelin
Faith No More
Early Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd

I'm not sure how it is 'original' when a song here sounds like a mahavishnu cut, a song there has parts of Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd...and this continues into their fourth album.

As for songwriting, Maynard puts out, what, one album every year or other year with Tool? Meanwhiel

Silver Stardust
Let's see about Tool's album rate...

Opiate - 1992
Undertow - 1993
Aenima - 1996
Salival (Live recordings) - 2000
Lateralus - 2001

Wow. So they're not like everyone else that feels they need to churn out something new every year. Big deal.

Afro Cheese
Of course the beatles are pop but they are good pop and you can say whatever the hell you want to say but if you look at the actual structure of their songs they are not all the same and are in fact original. The beatles melodies were original because of they didn't use the regular 3 chord structure used in most blues or rock n roll they used the old dorian and aeolian (don't know if i spelled that right) modes that hadn't been used by any of their predecessors. I'm not sure if explained that right cause I'm no music whiz or anything. Point is.. you don't like the beatles that's your opinion but saying they weren't original is a pretty stupid thing to say.

Tptmanno1
So basicly they Used Jazz Chords...

ElectricBugaloo
1963 Please Please Me
1963 Introducing...The Beatles
1963 With the Beatles
1964 Meet the Beatles!
1964 The Beatles' Second Album
1964 A Hard Day's Night Buy Now!
1964 Something New
1964 Beatles for Sale
1964 Beatles '65
1964 With the Beatles
1965 Beatles VI
1965 Help!
1965 Rubber Soul
1966 Yesterday...and Today
1966 Revolver
1967 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1967 Magical Mystery Tour
1968 The Beatles
1969 Yellow Submarine
1969 Abbey Road
1970 Let It Be

Notes: Let It Be was recorded in 1969.
Meet The Beatles! featured tracks from their previous two (UK only) releases.

Help! is considered the first time that The Beatles reinvented their sound. This is where they transcended contemporary pop music.
Rubber Soul was another change in sound.
Revolver was a huge change in sound
Sgt Pepper's was an even larger change in sound.
The White Album was a mish mash of various genres.
Abbey Road and Let It Be were considered more 'classic Beatles' sounding - more like Revolver era Beatles.

Silver Stardust
So it's Tpt's opinion that they're not original. It's my opinion that a lot of their songs sound a LOT alike. That is our opinion.

I like how once someone expresses an opinion different from the crowd they get jumped upon...

ElectricBugaloo
It's impossible to say they used on or another type of chord. Some songs didn't even feature guitars, but featured sitars. Some were piano-driven. They changed genres constantly, and accordingly, changed chord progressions. Their largest influence may have been 'skiffle' music - an improvised genre of music popular just before Elvis broke in the UK. It was folk, country and blues.

Silver Stardust
Churning out a ton of albums in a short period of time doesn't mean anything.

ElectricBugaloo
But churning out a bunch of great albums while changing your style is impressive.

Silver Stardust
That's your opinion.

ElectricBugaloo
And the opinion of their contemporaries, artists that have come after them, critics of their time, and critics of today.

I mean, what other band can be considered the greatest by metal bands, pop bands, hip hop acts, hardcore bands...it's staggering how many people who actually make music and make a living making and/or covering music consider them the greatest.

Silver Stardust
So what? I couldn't care less how many people say they're the best, it still remains an opinion. A popular opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. Just because a lot of people hold the same opinion does not make it fact.

Afro Cheese
But the reasons for him stating they are unoriginal was that they are easy to duplicate. That doesn't have anything to do with originality. Being original means being different from anything that came before you. So if the Beatles aren't original than who do they sound like?

And as for you saying that a lot of their songs sound the same that's an opinion. But I think that there are some real noticeable differences among there songs, much more noticeable than differences among Tool songs IMO.

And why won't you two say which band you'd nominate for best band? Of course it's an opinion.. don't worry about what we think just go ahead. I didn't "jump down tpt's throat" because he said tool.. I argued against his statement that was putting down the Beatles.

Afro Cheese
Prissy pop music? As oppose to what... prissy grunge music?

Say what you want.. that's a hell of a track record.

Tptmanno1
Ok fine, maybe unoriginal wasn't the best word.
Hows Simplistic.

Reckoning
The Smiths or The Cure.

MornGlory
oasis

ElectricBugaloo
Even their pre-Help stuff was more complex than people give them credit for.

Bierbommetje
Me recording a massive shit and putting a beat under it is pretty original, and it doesnt sound simular to anything. But that still doesnt make it any more then shit with a beat under it.

Ha, it even rhymes, so it gots to be true

Afro Cheese
What is your point?

Bierbommetje
Originality and uniqeness of a song dont neccecarily make it a good song.

Originality and uniqeness doesnt neccecarily make a good band either.

Damn, thats like the 10th edit. My grammar sucks.

Afro Cheese
No but they don't necessarily make it a pile of shit either. If a band is original and does it while sounding good, than you have a quality band and not just a shitty attempt at originality.

Bierbommetje
Yep

Basicely I was saying that the argument "the best band in the world is band X cause they are original and have very diverse songs" doesnt really matter to me.

ElectricBugaloo
well i think that in order to be the best you have to be original. A band that is merely derivitive just doesn't have the talent or skill of a band that is original.

Afro Cheese
Yeah... you can be talented and play your instruments well but if you are just replicating something someone else has already done than I hardly think you can be the greatest. So I think the bottom line is originality doesn't necessarily make a good band, but is an essential element when considering who the greatest band is.

Bierbommetje
Question: If there was a band before the Beatles, that made music very simular to the Beatles' music, only of slightly less quality then the Beatles in your opinion, would you still call the Beatles the best band in the world?

Afro Cheese
I would have to hear the band's work. Chances are with the amount of changes in sound the beatles went through there is no band that could've came before them that they replicated but if you do know a band you feel they copied off of I'd like to know who so I can judge for myself. I would still like the beatles anyway because they have good music but if they did copy someone else it could lower my opinion of how big they actually were.

ElectricBugaloo
Is this a hypothetical question?

because obviously thier early work was filled with Chuck Berry, Elvis and contemporary pop influences. But they outgrew that by 1965 with Rubber Soul.

Bierbommetje
Im not saying they copied. Just an "if" question. Interesting that you might think lower of them if there was a band they sorta copied from. About the "If" question, note that the band they copied from had songs of lesser quality then the Beatles. So basicely the Beatles would be better then this band X they sorta copied from. The Beatles just wouldnt be as original as they are now, but there music would be exactly the same.

Afro Cheese
I said I would like their music just the same, but my opinion about their originality would change. But don't you think it takes something away from a band if they are just a clone of another band except maybe they do it better?

Bierbommetje
Talking post-65 Beatles, and Im not talking pre-Beatles artists that influenced them, just saying that what if the the Beatles' music wasnt as original as it was (like there were a million bands playing Beatles-esque music before and during the Beatles existance). I kinda asked the question the wrong way.

Okay, thats what I wanted to hear. smile

And I shouldnt have used the word copied in my last post, I meant more like stated below EB's quote.

Yes, I definitely regard a band ripping off another band lower then a more original band.

Sorry, but somehow today's not my day in making myself clear... embarrasment

ElectricBugaloo
There is a fine line between having inspiration and copying. If there were a band that did the same things that the beatles did before, they would have had to be famous. I just don't think that you can isolate the social and musical context from the equation when discussing the beatles.

Bierbommetje
Yeah, probably

Yeah, thats where my approach on determening the best band in the world differs from yours, I solely judge a band's greatness on there songs. I think we can say that we both have different definitions of Best Band in the world.

Afro Cheese
Just curious bierbommetje, what band would you say is the best in the world (if you had to pick one)?

ElectricBugaloo
Well I say that it is impossible because so much of what the beatles did was dictated by the social and cultural changes that happened through the 60s. Not to mention the musical changes.

It was a brand new time for rock music; the button down performances of Buddy Holly and the like were shattered by Elvis the Pelvis. And then the age of The Beatles came. They were in the midst of the folk movement, the rock movement and boy bands. From this, they blended the three sounds to make a type of pop rock that was both familiar and different than anything before. They could play the standards like Twist and Shout with the best of them, and they wrote their own original songs

A major turn came in the mid-60s, Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was writing his masterpiece, Pet Sounds. This was influenced by the Beatles music (rubber soul). Then the beatles came out with a response to Pet Sounds in Sgt Pepper's. So if you look at it this way, The Beatles were their own indirect influence - pet sounds was influenced by Rubber Soul. And Sgt Peppers was at least partially influenced by Pet Sounds.

So your hypothetical band does exist - it is the beatles themselves that were their biggest influences.

batmanrules
Zeppelin rules!!!!!!!!!!

Bierbommetje
I cant say. I consider myself way to ignorant and autistic to answer such a question.

Metallica are the best in my world, though. At the moment at least.

NicktheBassist
i'll probably get dissed for all eternity for this but i like (at the moment) Green Day and Blink 182, those are my favorite bands right now. and like many others, i am much too ignorant to claim a "best" band.

Alpha Centauri
Rush could quite possibly take the title if the heat was on. Obviously Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles are all classic candidates for VARIOUS reasons. I've never thought The Beatles were anywhere near the greatest band ever to come out of Britain, musically, let alone the world. However what they DID for music in general I'll admit makes them a candidate.

Everyone knows who I believe it to be. I also believe that if enough intelligent music fans got together and dissect every possible criteria, a best band ever could be found. For the purposes of this thread it's always gonna be personal favs though.

-AC

ShootingStars
U2 or Green Day Happy Dance yes

Tilien
Muse... Greenday... or U2 indeed cool

Bob-Zombie
I would like to say your all wrong stick out tongue which you are big grin
Red Hot Chili Peppers is the tops of bands

Alpha Centauri
Muse aren't even the greatest band in Britain, let alone the world. Even though they are very good.

U2 are nothing more than reputation to me. Even if they were as good as people claim, the fact that they proclaim themselves to be the best band in the world, is sheer nonsense. Radiohead make some musical exploration and get called snobs, U2 actually call themselves the greatest and nothing gets said. It's stupid.

-AC

Circadian Rythm
Circadian Rythm is The Best. but besides us its Definitely KISS

Silver Stardust
Radiohead is, in my opinion, several hundred times better than U2.

Deathblow
Oh most definitely. U2 haven't been good since the 80's.

Alpha Centauri
"Circadian Rythm is The Best. but besides us its Definitely KISS"

Reply when you aren't high or drunk or both.

-AC

buttcrack
simple plan rox! yes yes

buttcrack
kiss is soo awsome i have been to one of their concerts

Tptmanno1
Only Several Hundred?

Silver Stardust
stick out tongue

Several thousand, you happy now?

MC John 117
I'm a love-child of the Seventies.
Led Zeppelin, hands down....

Tptmanno1
SS> Barley....

Victor Von Doom
Tool, or Radiohead.

Atomic Rico
There is no greatest band/singer of all time *cough*beatles*cough*, but I'll say the best of each decade

50's-Rat Pack(not really a band, but you get the picture)
60's-The Beatles
70's-Led Zeppelin
80's-Guns N Roses
90's-Nirvana

Victor Von Doom
I hardly think 'Appetite for Destruction' and 'Lies' qualifies them as the best band of the decade.

Atomic Rico
Well, GNR's better then half the crap the 80's crapped out
I would count U2, but I cant really say theyre for everyone

Bierbommetje
Id say Metallica are the best out of the 80's

But ofcourse thats just me...

Atomic Rico
How could I forget about Metallica?

Also, Van Halen(excluding Gary Cherone) is my other favorite band born in the 80's

Victor Von Doom
There's also Prince, The Cure, The Smiths, Queen.

And Rick Astley.

Atomic Rico
I didnt count Queen becuase they didnt start until the mid 70's. And yes, The Cure is friggin awesome

Victor Von Doom
But what about Rick Astley?

Atomic Rico
Im sorry, never heard of him lol

Victor Von Doom
You should really buy everything he ever put out.

Atomic Rico
Can you compare him to anybody?

ElectricBugaloo
50s - Chuck Berry
60s - Beatles
70s - Black Sabbath
80s - Minor Threat
90s - Can't think of one. I'd say Elliott Smith is my favorite, but as for best? I don't know.

Victor Von Doom
Hmm.

Probably all the most wonderful bands you can think of times a zillion.

bakerboy
The beatles, the rolling stones and queen.

daronisgod
System Of A Down

cgtuna21
Pink Floyd, ELO, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Steve Miller Band, The Doobie Brothers, Journey, Kansas, The Doors, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Lynard Skynard, and CCR

I'm probably missing some but I am a huge classic rock fan!

Atomic Rico
I love classic rock too. I reccomend Bob Dylan if you havent already heard him

SlipknoT
Blue Oyster Cult?

Atomic Rico
There pretty good-"Dont fear the Reaper" is one of the best creepy songs of all time

SlipknoT
That was stuck in my head for a few days last week

Atomic Rico
come on baby, dont fear the reaper...

ElectricBugaloo
the best creepy classic rock song has to be Bloodrock's DOA. It is...just creepy.

I always liked Godzilla the best out of BOC's songs.

Circadian Rythm
SCORPIONS & KISS & Styx( For Styxchick )

Atomic Rico
Another creepy song I love is "Duvet" by boa, the opening theme to the anime "Serial Experiments Lain"

Victor Von Doom
Has the boat sailed on Rick Astley?

xLiNdS x 622x
my favorite band is Blink 182 (wondering why no1 seems to post anything about them at all)
the best band-uhh i'm scared to answer.. this is one of those extremely argumental subjects

SlipknoT
yes we know Simple Plan you sock

NothingInVein
Metallica!

Aku
WILLY NELSON!!!

Just kidding, ofcourse I dont like willy nelson!

Gotta be Deftones, they are so cool and their music is so great to sit-back and listen to, or take drugs and listen to, or mosh to. Chino is king!

Sex_kitten
guns 'n roses are the best, silly! wink

room #99
My favorite band changes every while.as for now Opeth is my favorite

the greatest band of all time MetallicA

Aku
Yeh after my top 4 bands I just tend to swap the order of my fave bands all the time.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>