"The Thing: Collector's Edition" DVD Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mane
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002CHK1S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
"The Thing: Collector's Edition" ($19.99)
Release Date: October 26, 2004
Runtime: 109 minutes

"In the winter of 1982, a twelve-man research team at a remote Antarctic station discover an alien buried in the snow for over 100,000 years. Soon unfrozen, the form-changing alien wreaks havoc, creates terror, and becomes one of them."

Picture: Color, 2.35:1 remastered Anamorphic Widescreen transfer. Not the greatest transfer, but this Carpenter classic has never looked better.

Audio: English and Spanish DD 5.1; French DD 2.0. Spanish and French subtitles. Commentary by director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell. This time around, the sound is great.

Extras: (Get a load of this)
- John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape, an 80-minute (!!!) original documentary featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russel, designer Rob Bottin, and other members of the cast, crew and special effects team members.
- Stop motion animation cut from the film
- Exclusive work-in-progress visual effects footage
- Behind-the-scenes location footage
- Original theatrical trailer
- Outtakes
- Behind-the-scenes photographs
- Storyboards and conceptual art
- Annotated production archive
- The Saucer
- The Blairmonster
- Post production
- Production notes
- Cast and filmmakers

Overall: This is a fantastic DVD for a fantastic film. Plenty of terror, fun, and extra bonus material to literally suck up hours of your life. One of the greatest horror movies of all time now has one of the greatest DVDs of all time. The film itself scores a 10/10, and the features get an easy 10/10 (and that's an understatement.)

I'd give it a 15 if I could. thumb up

dean7879
nice review mane thumb up

Dr. Strangelove
Need to get this thumb up

Cinemaddiction
I bought it a while back, but haven't yet watched it. I'm horribly behind in actually WATCHING the movies I have bought the past couple of months.

Here's a little trivia for you, 2.35:1, the aspect in which Carpenter shot "The Thing" is the same ratio as "Shaun of the Dead", which Carpenter himself made famous, and was shot intentionally in the same scale by "Shaun" director, Edgar.

<<Solo>>
Saw the movie, loved the movie. Definately need to pick this up. thumb up

SlipknoT
I got it the day it came out, great movie! thumb up

Mane
Indeed a great movie; probably my favorite.

SlipknoT
Its been one of my favorites for a while now

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.