Escapism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophicus
Being is mere sensation trying to escape itself.

Philosophicus

Storm
The act of being?

Philosophicus
You may call it an 'act of being' - by Being, I refer to Existence as such- the infinity of everything.

KharmaDog
I once again say to you Philosophicus, you muddy your own waters to appear deep.

Philosophicus
KharmaDog :"I once again say to you Philosophicus, you muddy your own waters to appear deep." You are only proving your own ignorance and idiocy - I guess you would say that to all other philosophers like Kant, Hegel, Sarte, etc. as their philosophical works are much more dense and complicated than mine. It is your intellectual capacity which limits you to comprehend real philosophy - try reading the works of Witgenstein or Kant and you will see the same "muddy waters".
Please, this forum is for philosophers, not for people seeking a quick answer in a simple form which an infant can understand.

SaTsuJiN
"In other words, throughout the whole of existence, nothing can be opposite of the other - all must be tints or mere reflections of one fundamental Being. And the upshot of such a conclusion is that the whole of existence simply must be a solid oneness or unit. There can not be open spaces of discontinuity or non-being in between Existence as such. Existence is existence through and through."

do you mean that we truely are not individuals at somepoint? all of humanity and animal-types are a single soul?

Philosophicus
Yes. A single unit of pure Being.

Ou Be Low hoo
'Escapism' is jumping out of a window, when the building is on fire...Living is what you do when you're outside.

Philosophicus
I would rather say that Living means Dying - from the moment of birth, nature starts gnawing on us, wearing and tearing us - we are always on our way out of life, because the human heart only pounds a certain genetically predetermined couple of times....so it's a countdown to imminent death.

Ou Be Low hoo
Aha...But physically we do grow and 'improve'...as we reach adult-hood we are fitter, stronger, more intelligent and show a greater level of understanding of the world around us...Therefore, life cannot be seen as a simple degredation of biological matter...

Philosophicus
But still the degredation of biological matter is always present in whatever stage of a human's life.

SaTsuJiN
technically we are meant to live eternal lives (according to religion), which would make place for having a mind and body that matures so rapidly. It would be neat to see how much a human being could learn if life expectancy was just extended by 100 years

Alpha Centauri
Phil is refering to us being a singular consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

He just wanted to waste many posts trying to seem like a professor instead of strolling in like the man and saying it in one sentance like your boy just did.

-AC

Philosophicus
SaTsuJiN, if we lived even up to the age of 100000 yrs, it would have made no difference. Experience and knowledge is a relative condition - it's like a child growing bigger and needing bigger size clothes - it never feels like he's got bigger clothes on, because his body has grown proportionally.

Alpha Centauri - I happen to be a professor in Philosophy here in South Africa at the University of Riebeecks, I'm currently on vacation so I thought I'd check out some forums on the net.

Alpha Centauri
"I happen to be a professor in Philosophy here in South Africa at the University of Riebeecks, I'm currently on vacation so I thought I'd check out some forums on the net."

I'm just a random guy. If that doesn't make you feel bad about coming on here and just confusing a simple point to make yourself seem smart, it should do.

-AC

Philosophicus
Alpha Centauri: "I'm just a random guy. If that doesn't make you feel bad about coming on here and just confusing a simple point to make yourself seem smart, it should do."

I DON'T KNOW WHAT 'SIMPLE POINT' YOU'RE REFERING TO? IF MY ELABORATIONS CONFUSE YOU, I'M SORRY, BUT PHILOSOPHY IS NOT THAT SIMPLE, MY FRIEND, PHILOSOPHERS HAVE ARGUED OVER SO-CALLED SIMPLE MATTERS FOR MILENIA, AND THERE HAS BEEN MUCH MORE COMPLICATED TREATISES THAN MINE OF SEEMINGLY SIMPLE SUBJECTS.

Alpha Centauri
Did you skip grammar and punctuation class and go right to philosophy?

I just said in once sentance what it took you about 4 essay sized posts to day. No more need be discussed on the matter.

-AC

KharmaDog
Philosophicus you once again attack me based on the intelligence that you perceive that I lack. A judgemental person you are and one who seems to attack anyone who questions their belief or belief structure.

I have read much philosophy, and I never find it to be as convoluted as you try to make your personal philosophies sound. It is high brow hogwash and narcissistic self absorption that makes one think that one must over complicate or over indulge a thought with 25 cent words to sound intelligent.

The mark of intelligence is to be able to convey your thoughts and ideas in a succinct as manner as possible. Plato could discuss his ideas with the greatest minds of his time, or he could relate his ideals to commoners and slaves.

I will not trade degrees, personal successes or IQ scores with you, I will however that you use spell check at least occasionally and check your grammar if you are going to try to wow people with your superior intellect.

Ou Be Low hoo
It is better to hold a judgement and wait for people to challenge it, than it is to accept every opinion as equal.

peterKSL
one judge people based on annoyance of misuse of words or merely for one own benefit of "fun"

SaTsuJiN
so basically.. "If I don't deem you as equal (intelligent), your opinion is a pile of feces on the curb"? Thats a pretty biased statement, considering people who philosophise are usually open minded.

finti
yeah until you stop agreeing with their views

BackFire
"Alpha Centauri - I happen to be a professor in Philosophy here in South Africa at the University of Riebeecks, I'm currently on vacation so I thought I'd check out some forums on the net."

Just out of curiosity - Do you insult your students (assuming you aren't blatantly lying about being a professor, which from what I've read seems very possible) who don't see things in the questionable and debatable way you often seem to?

You know, if you want to be taken seriously as a philosopher it isn't wise to comeback everything with the dimwitted "You're idiotic/ignorant because you don't agree with the pseudo, half assed, long winded philosophical shit stack I've been spewing about." Because that seems to be your leitmotif around here when you have no viable or reasonable argument to defend your ideas (which seems to be pretty much constant).

Insulting those who don't share your ideas is probably the WORST way to gain credibility around here. Especially when it comes to philosophy.

finti
thats what happens when so called intelligent people complicate things

BackFire
Here's my philosophy.

Take something simple, like a red pen, and ask people what color it is. Only two types of people will get hell bent on "discussing" it - Retards and philosophers. Although the retard will probably end up getting the answer right before the philosopher, and their dribble will probably be more unique and interesting.

Fire
You're a philosophy professor?? Hmm just like that sock you made who said he had a Master in Philosophy who the hell are you kidding Man

Ou Be Low hoo
I judge you to be an idiot, because that ^ makes no sense.

No. You don't have to be 'equal' to my intelligence, your opinion simply needs to be intelligent and/or interesting.

peterKSL
you people just don't understand what philo means right?? Simple things which he meant are like why do apples drop... maybe that is not a good example, but you know what I mean

finti
in here we refrain for calling someone an idiot regardless of how you feel about the person and his/hers/its postings

KharmaDog
Backfire, your last couple of posts nearly killed me.laughing

Keep'em comin!

WindDancer
My Philosophy 101 profesor once told us that a philosopher nevers seeks popularity nor desires recognition. The simplest thing a philosopher wants to find is knowledge and wisdom. Which are things that are rather humble and precious. According to my professor any philosopher claiming to be a genius or wise is a FOOL fill with pride!

This coming from a guy that loves philosophy, but never calls people ignorant or stupid!

finti
philosophy is every ones own grasp of reality, those who says different only wants to distance themselves from the lot in an act to be the smarter part.

Afro Cheese
Call me ignorant but I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. It just seems like a bunch of random sentences to me.

finti
just as it is to him only he havent figured that part out yet................... it happens when it dawns on him that ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh someone else wrote that thing I thought I created............damn

Philosophicus

Philosophicus

Fire
Well if you're not lieing then exlpain who the hell Mind is. I'm not gonna go all the way to South Africa just to see wether or not you are a professor, there are more important things to do with my time.

Philosophicus
I don't know who Mind is - probably a wacko. Anyway, I see that he's been restricted to access this forum.

Fire
nvm

Philosophicus
His IP can INDEED be the same AS MINE because he might use the same computer as I am, you idiot - I'm in an internet cafe - PEOPLE SHARE COMPUTERS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire
let's drop it

Ou Be Low hoo
^ 'Zen and The Art of IP Addresses'?

Philosophicus
Yes, let's drop it. It's unfortunately my word against yours. I am an honest, sincere person, I would only lie if my life was in danger, ok?

Philosophicus
What does nvm stand for?

Storm
never mind wink

Alpha Centauri

MornGlory
where can I take an IQ test

I think I am more common sense smart than book smart

Storm
*sigh*
Keep it on topic please.

finti
IQ test doesnt always tell the real truth though , when I was in the military I had soldiers who scored very high on the tests, but when it came to manage it in the nature many were more or less helpless.
So one can be a genius in the theoretical aspects of things and completely the opposite practically

finti
sorry storm

MornGlory
what is the topic

most threads never actually stay on the actual topic

Fire
"Escapism"
as you can read on the first page. and wether or not most threads do is irrelevant this one is gonna be back on topic

Philosophicus
IQ tests are just for fun IMO, for example, the great physicist Richard Feynman scored 124 - just above average, so it doesn't measure intelligence really. Also the more of a creative thinker one is, the lower ones IQ score will be - in fact, I've read that the genius does not always have a high IQ, because deviancy plays a role. An IQ researcher has said that the highest IQ scorers are typically not genius and the typical genius don't have a high IQ. IQ tests only test certain areas of intelligence, but not intellectual creativity though.

MornGlory, you can take an IQ test on tickle.com, highiqsociety.org, or search for GliaWeb for extremely difficult IQ tests - my highest score there was 189.

Sorry Storm.

MornGlory
there is a front page blink
i cant be bothered with going all the way back to the beginning

but Im sorry sad

Philosophicus
Well, let me put it back on topic: In essence, my philosophy is that Being is mere sensation trying to escape itself. By that I mean that in the endeavor to vindicate and exercise self-conciousness, the mind is actually attempting in a very absurd fashion to escape itself. Because only by not being a part of itself, or for that matter, a part of existence, can the mind really obtain an absolutely objective view on Being as such. This is the absurd problem which the definition of self-consciousness and indeed the ontology of philosophy face. Can we really be absolutely self-conscious and obtain a complete understanding of existence as such, while we are parttaking in it?

peterKSL
to make it not being off topic again, I am here to give a conclusion to your questions/discussions.... IQ scores I think are for testing how "familiar" you are with what is being tested. Offcourse, I think those people who made it didn't even think about it, because I discovered it wink

Philosophicus
^ still of the topic big grin

hubby
hay good opening i read that book too
so tell me what does it mean in simple terms

Ytaker
Words like vindicate and ontology certainly aren't going to help put this back on track. Let me try (flexes muscles, cracks fingers)

Escapism is where a person creates a fantasy to get away from reality. A fly might fantasise swatting humans. Your mind constantly tries to interpret reality, from what you see.

However, since your brain is made from matter, it forms a viewpoint biased by matter. Only if the mind was separate from the brain (i.e. you had a soul, and died?), could you truly form a true vision of reality. Then you have to ask yourself the question, can we really trust what we see if we see from the tainted glasses of matter?

Philosophicus, could you define matter for me? I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, emotions, dimensions, prejudice etc etc.

Darth Revan
In all your years of studying you apparently never learned one thing--all internet IQ tests are a load of bullshit. They test knowledge, not intelligence, which is not what an IQ test is supposed to do. And yes, there are tests out there that test actual intelligence rather than one's level of education. Just not on the internet.

You know who you remind me a little of? Peggy Hill. You both insult other people to make yourselves seem smarter, you both will believe anything somebody tells you as long as it helps feed your ravenous ego, and you both enjoy thinking of your job in a way that makes it seem more important and difficult that it actually is.

But don't pay attention to me--I'm just a bumbling half-wit commoner. I could never know anything, let alone formulate worthwhile ideas in my own head. Go about yer business, Mister Genyiss, I don't mean no 'arm. *tips hat*

Philosophicus
Darth Raven - IQ tests does not only measure knowledge - they also measure logical reasoning - and I did find some of those on the internet - tests by Cooimans - go check it out on gliaweb.com

YTaker - No one can define matter in a philosophically meaningful way and in a universally accepted way. Also, I don't understand your questions??

brandino
i only registered a 151 on my iq on the internet then i chose a different one and it said my iq was 64

Philosophicus
I've scored from 89 to 189! So, I'm either retarded or super genius!!!

hubby - my book cannot be written in simpler terms.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.