The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Special Edition Dvd review(1974)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
http://www.mrbensons.co.uk/sl/l/7/S_V0076764.jpg

Title: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(2003 Special Edition) Region 2

Genre: Horror
Year released: 1974
Dvd released: 2003
Rating: UK 18
Length: 80 Minutes

For five young friends, a typical summer afternoon drive becomes a terrifying nightmare.

Picture: Universal offers a Widescreen 1.78:1 transfer. The picture isnt brilliant and falls short of the mark, but i didnt mind one bit because it adds to the effect of a low budget movie. So not the best picture but i dont think it matters all that much.

Sound: There is no mono track which some people may be annoyed with. There is a Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo track which i prefer anyways. Overall the sound quality is good considering the movies age but dont expect too much.

Menu Features: Nothing Special here. Just shows a background of all the nasty things hanging in the house. Some creepy music played but thats about it really.

Extras: The extras's alone are worthy of purchasing this Dvd, especially the 'Shocking Truth Documentary' which is 74 minutes long!
Also you get to see some more interviews,deleted scenes, outtakes, trailers, TV ads and some stills and posters. There is also Audio commentary with Tobe hooper, Gunnar Hansen and director of photography Daniel Pearl. With the Dvd you get the original theatrical poster of TCM and you get a 16 page collectors booklet. So overall you have some great extra's to look forward to. The documentary is a MUST see! Here are the extras below.

Audio Commentary - featuring the Director, Tobe Hooper plus the director of photography Daniel Pearl and Gunnar Hansen - Leatherface himself!

The Shocking Truth' 72 minutes long

Interviews with Tobe Hooper and Kim Henkel

Deleted Scenes and Alternative Footage

Blooper Reel

Trailers and Sequel Trailers

Original TV Ads - Original promo ads from '74.

A Study in Filming - A 2-minute look at the film-making process

Stills Photos

Props and Set Footage

posters and Lobby Cards

16-Page Collectable Booklet

DVD-ROM - Weblink.

Overall: Movies gets 8/10 Dvd presentation such as Menu features,sound and picture 6/10 Extras get 9/10
Overall 8/10

Worthy in anyones collection. Its a couple of years old so you should be able to get it quite cheap

<<Solo>>
It's funny how Region 2's Cover is so much better then Region 1's.

SlipknoT
That cover looks so good, The region 1 one sucks.

Cinemaddiction
Awww..bullshit. The 30th Ann. Pioneer "TCM" blows this disc away, cover and all. The only thing this version, apparently an R2, has on Pioneer is the documentary. Otherwise they are virtually identical, and the Pioneer edition, while 2.0 stereo, is still remastered as is the picture.

Pioneer issued "TCM" with 3 different covers over 2 years.

First Edition:
http://www.shakingthrough.net/images/clemenza/movies/texas_chainsaw_massacre_dvd.jpg

Second Edition:
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/10/214210.jpg

Then there's this little gem, which I could have purchased tonight at FYE for $11, had I not already owned the version pictured above. Same movie, just way better cover art.

http://www.hmmagazine.com/reviews/dvd/archives/104%20DVD%20Texas%20Chainsaw%20Massacre.jpg

SlipknoT
The meat cover is so awsome. I would have gotten it evn though I already own it, only $11

Snipes
will this be avaible in Australia? Ive only got the 25th special edition, which is just the movie. I think it might have Directors commentry.

but if this 2003 special edition is avaiable in australia, ill definatley snap it up.

Snipes
http://www.hmv.com.au/product/DVD.asp?sku=941210

that is the link to the australian version of this special edition dvd.

im gonna ask for it for my birthday. Im also trying to find a box set of all the Nightmare films, or all the Friday films. Does anybody know if such a box set exists cause i cant find one.

Cinemaddiction
Both do, not sure if they are available in PAL format, or VCD, though. If you have a Region Free or Region 1 player, you're in luck.

Snipes
yeah, i can get a chip for my PS2 that can play all dvd regions, and i think our new dvd player we got last month can play all regions, not sure.

could you please give me a link to a NTSC verion of the box set?

dean7879
paciific are the best dvd players to get...they are about 30 pounds in england
to make it multiregion i got a dvd region hack code off the net

Wolfie
I got the saw blade cover version at Best Buy for $7.

Cinemaddiction
Yep, and Wal Mart tries to sell it for $14.

WindDancer
Same here. I do love the ground beef cover. But I couldn't pass off on a $7 deal.

Wolfie
I dunno... I like the previous two covers better than the ground beef cover.

SlipknoT
The saw cover is kinda dull, but its the one I have.

dean7879
yeah i think its the best one...the meat one looks nasty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.