Master of the Flying Guillotine 2 Disc Anniversary Edition Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shaolin Monk
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/da_ghost_/motfg.jpg
Title: Master of the Flying Guillotine 2 Disc Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Length: 93 Minutes

Release Date: December 21, 2004

Price: 22.48 on Amazon, or 10.99 at Blockbuster (at least where I live)

"In eighteenth century China, the legendary fighter known as The One-Armed Boxer (Jimmy Wang Yu) faces his greatest challenge, as a blind Manchu assassin seeks revenge for the death of his disciples at the Boxer's hand. The blind man's weapon of choice: The Flying Guillotine, an outlandish and thoroughly improbable weapon capable of popping heads off at a great distance."

Picture: The picture is the best of all of the DVD releases of this film. It is set in an Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9, and much brighter than the 2003 release. Although it's rather "grainy", there is still much less than any previous release.

Audio: Spoken language is Mandarin. Dolby Digital 5.1. There is also the option for English dubs, but don't do that! Audio Commentary from film critics Wade Major and Andy Klein

Subtitles: English and Spanish.

Extras:
- Biography on Jimmy Wang Yu
- Biography on Fight Choreographer Lau Kar Leung
- Trailer of the Original Chinese version, and 2 USA versions
- Audio Commentary from two film critics, Andy Klein and Wade Major
- Photo Gallery which is larger than the 2003 release
- Interview with Jimmy Wang Yu

Overall: This is a must own for any Kung Fu fan. Everything has been stepped up on this release - the picture, the audio, and the extras. The "keep safe" booklet case is a nice upgrade as well. The DVD gets an 8/10, while the film gets a 9/10.

WindDancer
Indeed a great Classic of Martial Arts genre. I bought myself a copy for Christmas and I love it. The previous DVD release was in bad shape. The qualitity was awful. In this version they fixed some of the problems but not all of them. The commentaries are okay and is way better to watch it with the Mandarin language and the subtitles. Great review Shaolin Monk. thumb up

Cinemaddiction
This may end up being a blind buy. Looks to be right up my alley. yes

MildPossession
I shall be adding that to my collection.

Cinemaddiction
I want to point out, this is probably pertaining to the single disc release. If it isn't, I'll gladly reimburse you to get me the 2 disc for $11.99. yes

Shaolin Monk
welp, i got the 2 disc edition for 10.99 at the blockbuster here in town...amazon doesn't say if it's 1 or 2 discs, but i assumed it was the 2 disc as it was more expensive and has the exact same cover.

i could get u the 2 disc editon for 10.99 yes

Cinemaddiction
I think I'm going to have to take a look at my Blockbuster soon. That's just an odd POP for such a definitive, obscure, new DVD. May have to ask you for a favor afterall, Mr. Monk. eek!

MildPossession
The blockbusters here are awful for less mainstream films, will probably never see that film there.

Haven't been to blockbusters for ages, probably never will go again.

Mane
My local Hollywood video has a MASSIVE foreign section, whereas my local Blockbuster has very little.

Shaolin Monk
Blockbuster is the only place in my town to even rent movies...walmart and blockbuster are the only places that sell them...so I usually order most of my foreign films online, but there are some "foreign film buffs" that work at the blockbuster here, so there is actually a nice selection. Plus, one of my friends girlfriend works there...so she orders some stuff for me, when she's not being a b!tch lol

Anywho...Sure Cine, I could do you a favor...might have to wait till next week sometime though...things are hectic around here, with our house sellin and all (headin to MN february 22nd)...so I'll message you tonight or tomorrow and let ya know.

Cinemaddiction
That's cool. I'm going to swing by my Blockbuster, see what the deal is, and I'll LYK. yes

EDIT: Looks like my Blockbusters, all 3, don't even carry it for rent. LMK if we can arrange something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.