Will Episode III surpass any of the OT movies? [Merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MarioX
Will Revenge of the Sith be better than, say, A New Hope? Empire Strikes Back? Or Return of the Jedi? It might be, and I hope so. Why would one hope for a mediocre movie, anyway, just to keep the prestige of the OT? I hope that Revenge is excellent and is seen as better than one of the Original movies.

Also, which of the original movies would be ranked third-best to you? Ep 4, 5, or 6?

Vympel
No contest, ROTJ is the worst of the Original Trilogy, though it's still enjoyable despite it's many flaws. I'm really hoping ROTS is better than ROTJ. Nothing will ever top TESB, ever. It was the absolute pinnacle of the films.

Echuu
100% agreed

NoMeN
same here 100% agreed

.:Space Opera:.
yes, 100 percent

thx 1138 was better than ROTJ

Stunrun
A New Hope and Empire will NEVER be topped, but i have hopes that ROTS will top Jediyes

and ill be the first to say Return Of The Jedi DOES kick a$$wink

the space battle does. the ewoks can suck my toe. ESB is the best because IRVIN is a *ucking genius.

Stunrun
"IRVIN is a *ucking genius"

TOO RIGHTcool

He's also great on the "Empire Of Dreams" docwink

did he put that together or are you just talking about his interview?

vader519
I think it will top ANH and ROTJ, but not never ESB. Still the best movie to this day.

top movies ever (to me)

esb
back to the future 1
matrix 1

Stunrun
just talking about his experiences during the making of Empire, it was greatwink

yeah he knows how to break down a story very well

DARTH DADDY
We shall see. But if it looks as good as what we have seen so far then I would suspect that it may be the best of the saga. I don't think ESB was the best, but, I would say that it ranks up there with all of them. TPM would be my pick for the worst of them all. Too many obscurities that didn't mean anything(ie. midicloriens, I can't even spell it). I liked AOTC, but think that of the OT ANH is the best.

Y-chromo kid
ESB is my favourite too, as it is the only one untainted by "silly things" (you all know what I'm talking about). However, ROTJ is my second fav. If you rip away the endor/ewoks bit you have a very enjoyable movie. For me the Vader/Luke/Palps scenes are the best in the franchise. I still remember seeing it in the theater, willing Vader to rescue his poor, frazzled son. As to whether ROTS will be the best well, probably not; to much to hope for I suppose. The potential is there: tragedy, emotional turmoil + a whole load of sexy effects. I just think that the scale is so big and the situations so complicated that it will be difficult to pull together as effectively as we all want.

" + plus a whole load of sexy effects"

i like sexy effects

Y-chromo kid
[ Too many obscurities that didn't mean anything(ie. midicloriens, I can't even spell it).

Yeah I disliked that also; clunky and embarassing; pointless. I'm sure GL could have found a better way of explaining Anakin's place in the Grand Scheme of Things. I remember there was a lot of laughter from the audience whenever midicl/ were mentioned

eXSBass
I think RotS will surpass the OT movies. Well I hope so! But I don't understand peoples beef with RotJ! I loved it to bits. At some times I think it's better than ESB!

darthbrowneye
i think ROTS will be the very best out of all the movies. my opinion is that lucas is pulling out all the stops, and by learning from his mistakes from the other movies, will make this his crowning glory. I think this will top all of them. But, to me, each of the movies, from Phantom to Jedi has it's flaw's, but to me it's what makes them unique individually, but the flaw's don't take away from my favorite aspect.....the story. IMHO blink blink

it makes sense that he would learn of his mistakes. ep.2 was alittle bit better than ep. 1 that means hes realizing what the public wants to see and gives it to us.

Sith Master X
Yes, Episode 3 will surpass all the OT movies just as Episodes 1 & 2 have. (to me at least)

Ushgarak
Long-termers around here will know what my regard for ROTJ is not great; I have always regarded that film the runt of the litter far more than Episodes I and II. I most certainly expect III to be better than ROTJ, I HOPE it will be better than I and II, which certainly had their flaws; I will be staggered if it is better than IV or V and it almost certainly will not be.

Silver Stardust
For me it wouldn't be too hard for ROTS to be as good as or better than ROTJ, TPM, and AOTC...for me they were fairly disappointing. Will it be better than ANH or ESB? I highly highly doubt it; ESB is my absolute favorite SW movie and it will take a LOT to even rival it in my book.

Sith Master X
I don't see how ROTS should have any problems beating ANH. messed

Not that ANH wasn't good, it was great. Just doesn't compare to ESB and ROTJ and my opinion.

Wat Tambor
ROTS beat evry movie i think

Silver Stardust
ANH kicked ROTJ up and down the street stick out tongue and ESB killed them both.

Wat Tambor
AOTC was even better then ANH and ESB

darth eddie
ROTS will probably top all of the star wars movies except ESB. The only way ROTS will be better than ESB is if Lucas has anakin chop jar-jar into sushi and make little fur rugs out of the ewoks.

Silver Stardust
...you sure you were watching the same movies as the rest of us?

I'm sorry, but I can't see how anyone could think that AOTC is better than ANH, let alone ESB.

Sith Master X
Definitely. AOTC is my favorite thus far.

Arsenal
If George doesn't include Jar Jar or any other stupid crap like that then I
think this could be the best, especially seeing as how this has 3> lightsaber duels in it.

Jedi Priestess
Sith I'd be willing to bet $$ that if you had seen ESB on its release date you wouldnt feel that way. As good as ROTS looks like its going to be, unless its got something that can top "No, I am your father!" , in it, there is no way it will rank about ESB, in my book anyway. I'd have to say my ranking order is:

ESB
ROTS (assuming its going to be as good as it looks so far)
AOTC
ANH
TPM
ROTJ

Arsenal
I wish I could've sad

Jedi-Knight 8k2
Rots will be better than ESB for a hair

Sith Master X
Well I did see the SE ESB at the theater when it was released, and that was before AOTC. stick out tongue

I love ESB, just like AOTC a bit better. It's kind of a debate between TPM and ESB for me. I thought I liked TPM better for a long while, then when I'm watching ESB I like that one better, but when I watch TPM then I like that one better, so I guess I'm undecided. It's a tie. lol

Jedi Priestess
OK SE's wasnt what I mean as I dont consider that to be a SW movie. stick out tongue That's drek.

Sith Master X
But you must accept it. stick out tongue The SE is Lucas' true vision.

Jedi Priestess
Nope it's DREK & BANTHA POODOO

Sith Master X
It's not so bad. erm

smoker4
The SE is better, the only thing is he might go back and tamper with them again for the complete dvd collection??!!!!

Stunrun
im happy with the DVD versions, its Lucas's final vision, fully remastered and cleaned upwink what is there NOT to like?? but then thats my opinioncool

Vympel
Well for one the obvious mistakes they made when they were cleaning it up- the lightsabres are all over the place, I find it really frustrating. There's also a few sound problems. But yes, the DVD versions are the best looking, despite their flaws.

Sith Master X
I agree.

LandoSpeeder
Vympel what do you mean by the lightsabers being all over the place?

Vympel
In ANH, Luke has a green sabre for several long, painful seconds while he's training on the Falcon. Other than that, the improved sabre effects in the Obi-Wan vs Vader fight were quite good. It's TESB and ROTJ where the effects are atrocious: Vader's sabre randomly and for no apparent reason has a reddish/pinkish rather than a white "core" around the red hue- this effect is of course incorrect, and not only that, is inconsistently applied- sometimes his sabre looks normal, sometimes it looks like above. I thought it was really obvious, you didn't see it?

See here:

Special Edition: nice clean white core:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/6-00a-1997.jpg

DVD: reddish/pinkish- no other red sabre has ever looked like this, ever.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/6-00a-2004.jpg

That's just one example, it happens again and again. The worst is where Vader is telling Luke "your destiny lies with me" before Luke is forced into the carbonite chamber. The sabre looks awful. I hear it's a problem with what they did to certain shots, and you can fix it somehow by messing with your settings, but I've never gotten it working.

The green sabre is what mystifies me the most, maybe. Like, seriously, who wouldn't be able to spot that? Just wierd. I suppose we'll have to wait for the 2007 release of the Hi-Def versions for the "definitive" Star Wars to end all Star Wars.

Ushgarak
Please keep this on topic. No more discusison on sabre colours please.

ajrocksteady
My list is as follows:

6.TPM
5.ANH
4.AOTC
3.ESB
2.ROTJ
1.(pending)ROTS

I still don't understand what everyones problem is with ROTJ. I LOVE that movie. Yoda's death scene, the first scene with Vader and Palpatine in a SW flick, Luke as a bada$$, the entire throne room scene , father against son, Vader's redemption, c'mon! Shall i go on?! Yes, i hate ewoks too, but that is definitely not enough to make it the worst SW movie ever. NO WAY. Maybe i'm a sucker for the stories i love coming full circle but if i could watch any of the three right now, ESB would be the only one that would stand a chance against ROTJ. ESB probably is better but i cant put it ahead of ROTJ.

One

Sith Master X
I know. I love ROTJ as well.

AlextheGreatest
thats one of the dumbest questions ive ever herd, of course episode iii will surpass the rest!!!!! its gonna b the greatest movie of al time!!!!!

Red Superfly
It's not a dumb question, oh Mr. Psychic who can predict what a movie will be like months before it released.

There's always someone to yell out "OMG Ep III will be da best movie of all time it rox0rz!!!!eleven!11!1!!!!!!".

It could be worse than Episode I - I don't exactly know how, but it could.

And about Return Of The Jedi - I still have no idea why people dislike the Ewoks. I didn't pass one remark with any of them. They were OK. I didn't love them, I didn't hate them, I just thought they were fine as Star Wars characters. After all, there's a child sized bat and those little Jawa creatures in A New Hope, but nobody passes any remarks on those "funny" creatures. Stupid logic.

Poor Ewoks.

phinney6
I am hoping its the best of them all. But I think it will be hard to top ESB. Maybe tie it, but not top it

southtownbluz
Aight, I've never posted here, but frag it, here goes.

First of all, I got nothing but laughs for any fool that thinks someone's opinion is ridiculous because it doesn't agree with someone else's. That's freakin stupid. Period. Everyone has their right to their own opinion and to use the status quo as a justification as your opinion is even weaker. If I'm steppin on toes, so be it. Drop your hating, it doesn't matter to me. I like what I like and that's it.

Beyond all that, I have to say that the OT was off tha hook. It set new standards in moviemaking. Bar none. ANH was my first, I think I saw it when I was 6. ESB was tight, I saw it later, but didn't appreciate it until I was in my late teens and able to understand the scope of what was going on. ROTJ was tight as hell too. No complaints. People talk sh-t about the Ewoks, but it wasn't a big deal when you were a kid. It was all the same, it was cool. Now if you saw it around the mid-late nineties maybe, but not for me in the eighties. It wasn't embarassing and it wasn't pathetic. It was just Star Wars, man.

TPM was off tha hook. I hadn't seen SW in film in years, but I was surprised that GL could still kick it up a notch. People complain about it, but hell, look at all the behind the scenes if you need to understand his direction. Personally, before I ever saw it, I new it was gonna be different. Its a prequel after all. It was before. I expected things to be a little out of order. To think everything was predictable would be foolish. It took place over 40 years before ANH, so c'mon. What do you expect? Everything was gonna be the same?

Anyways, AOTC was aight, but I'll be the first to say that the lightsaber duel was what made TPM so hot for me, and AOTC cheaped out. They cut, edited, whatever, but it didn't hit as hard as TPM. Sure, Yoda got his cameo fight scene and it was tight, but I was disappointed in Anakin's fight, and even Obi-Wan looked like a beyatch fighting Dooku. Everyone looked like amateurs. Was that the same Obi that fought Darth Maul? Hell nah. It looked like he was seriously intimidated.

I'm not sweating the length of this post. I never posted before, might never post again. But I had to say my piece.

And that is, Episode 3 will rock, because it's been building up to what we've all been wanting to see since we heard about the prequels--the fall of Anakin to Darth Vader. Isn't that what this is all about? It ain't about midichlorians or this or that. It's cut and dry.

Anyways, I'm out.

Later!!

Jedi Priestess
A post of almost perfection. Well done. smile

queeq
Hmmm, well I think ROTS must be of sublime perfection to make the PT surpass the OT. But in all honesty, I don't think that will happen. After watching all my fav OT films on DVD again and even THX-1138 on DVD, I am beginning to believe Lucas was a lot better when he had a lot of restrictions. Now he has none and his movies are far from groundbreaking and impressive as the OT was. The storylines are sloppy and way too complicated and subtle to even grasp what's going on. I believe one should be able to enjoy a movie without having to watch the Making Of's explaining why it's so great. It is SW, yes, but not what could have been. Hopefully Geroge will redeem himself for TPM and AOTC in ROTS, but frankly, I am afraid for it.... and yes, that leads to the Dark Side. But then, I'll always have the OT DVD's.

Vympel
I would hardly call ROTJ embarassing/pathetic, but it is the worst of the OT. And it's not just the Ewoks.

- The inherent lameness of recycling the Death Star. It's just unoriginal.

- Boba Fett being killed by physical comedy.

- The Rebel Fleet. Even though they had ample opportunities to fix it, both the Special Edition and the DVD Edition, it's too damn small to make their defeat of that Imperial fleet believable, especially with the Death Star incinerating their ships.

- The space battle in general. While it wins points as one of the finest choreographed fighter battles in sci-fi history, the big ships do absolutely sweet f%$# all. Very disappointing. Which brings me to:

- The destruction of the Executor (aka Super Star Destroyer). Yet another "get an inconvenient problem out of the way by a huge fluke"- just like Boba Fett. It's the biggest ship ever seen on screen in Star Wars (with the exception of the Death Star), and the entire thing is taken down by a damn fighter going through the bridge. It doesn't even do anything. LAME.

- The ground battle on Endor: leaving aside the Ewoks, which goes without saying, it was, like the space battle, too one sided. All we see is Stormtroopers getting it, we hardly ever see Ewoks dying. If there had been more Ewoks getting killed it would make the battle far more believable. Leaving aside the fact that they never would've won if Chewie hadn't stolen that walker, the battle is still poorly done and leaves the impression of an Ewok victory. Which is bullsh1t.

Those are its flaws, as far as I'm concerned.

Arsenal
I like TPM better then AOTC just because of Maul, he was the coolest character ever.

eleveninches
It might surpass ROTJ, and maybe just be equal to ANH, but I doubt it would be better than ESB

JKozzy
I liked Dooku better than Maul... Maul was cool, but his character never was developed as much as Dooku's in AOTC. Maul was just there, a Dark Lord of the Sith, "seeking revenge" and just went to outright kill Jedi. Dooku was a former Jedi, and double-crossed them, hitting the Jedi where it hurt, being the leader of the Seperatists and almost wiping out the Jedi right then and there.

Arsenal
I think Maul was the emperor's most loyal apprentice...he had a painful tattoo done on his face just for him. Plus how many jedis can handle a double bladed lightsaber effectively?

eleveninches
Dooku's character is more interesting and likeable than maul's character, but Maul was a better fighter (only just), even though dooku is more powerful (with his force lightning. Plus, i cant see maul taking on yoda).

Arsenal
I think Maul would school Dooku in a duel using only lightsabers and not any force powers.

JKozzy
He did have talent, yes. Dooku did lay waste to both Obi-wan and Anakin, and also fought with Yoda, to which some may say he won, others may say he tied, and some even might say he lost, due to the fact that he ran away, but whichever the outcome, Dooku was a former Jedi, and becoming a Sith behind their backs, and waging war upon them really was pretty big, imo. Christopher Lee also does a brilliant job bringing his character to the screen, as did Ray Park for Darth Maul.

Maul did fight dirty with punching and force powers; Dooku used lightning before lightsaber fight(s).. so it's all relative.

eleveninches
Maybe, but dooku defended against yoda, who was meant ot be the best lightsaberist in the galaxy. It would be close though

JKozzy
Which is why Yoda's so stunned when he loses to Sideous

Arsenal
Maul would have beaten obi wan if he hadn't done that cheap move. Realistically we all know Maul wouldn't have stared at him in awe (wow he's jumping over me maybe I should block. Nah I'll stand here and let him cut me in half) plus Maul was pretty quick with his lightsaber, I think he would have lasted a while with Yoda then either retreat or get killed. Plus does anyone know how old Maul was supposed to be? Didn't Sidious call him "my young apprentice" at some point or was I hearing things?

Vympel
You can't artificially seperate a Jedi's power in the force and his skill at lightsabre duelling. The two go hand in hand- half the battle is using your force powers to aid your precognition of what your opponent's going to do, as well as other things (like using "force walls" to block your opponent from moving away, as Anakin did against Dooku). Read the novelizations of the films. Irrespective of Maul being a better "fighter"- Dooku would've still wiped the floor with him.

Jedi_Green
It depends on who you are.
If you like the story of anakin and becoming a sith along with all the movies special effects then you should like nt.
If you like the story of luke beating the sith as a jedi along with the old special effects you'll like the ot.

Vympel
Another thing- re: Obi-Wan killing Maul "cheaply"- not really. Obi-Wan was going close to the Dark Side when he was fighting Maul (obviously), Maul used that against him when he force pushed him into the shaft. When he calmed himself and launched himself upward, Maul had no idea what he was doing- his precognition was clouded. Essentially, Obi-Wan used the force. I think it's in the novelization.

Jedi_Green
I have to disagree there Arsenal, what about vader.

Ushgarak
And all through ESB when he was planning to take the Empero's place and take Luke as his own.

Loyality not really a factor with the Sith.

Jedi_Green
Maul was loyal to sidious and tyranuss was loyal to sidious.

ccoo
I don't think it will pass ESB, because to me that is a flawless movie. There are so many suprises and the tension is great. Unfortunately, we all know what will happen in ROTS, so that makes it more difficult to keep you on the edge of your seat. It will be better than TPM, ROTJ, and AOTC; but better than ANH, I don't know. If it get's a PG-13 rating, than all bets are off, this movie could be awesome! All in all, this will definitely be the #3 best Star Wars movie made.

it seems as though there is alot of wishful thinking going on in this thread, they know that it pronly wont surpass ANH or ESB but theyve turned their thinking and judgemant based on the other prequels into wishful ones, and i have fallen victim to that he he he.

queeq
Tyrannus WAS loyal? So certain are you. And yes, Maul was loyal, but then: he never made it to the big league.

he's only HALF as good as obi wan.

...he he.

Arsenal
Very interesting, well that changed my whole perspective.

Arsenal
He did that in Episode II or the upcoming movie?

queeq
I think that only happened in the novel actually. Not in the final cut of AOTC.

theshakl
I liked ROTJ and i can't really decide on a fav. Star Wars movie... as a matter of fact when i was younger i liked the movies in order they came out...AOTC then TPM then ROTJ then ESB then ANH...

but now i can't decide..they are all good even ROTJ...for me..its your guy's loss not mine i really enjoy them all
i'm just scared ep. 3 will ruin it...

Vympel
Just because you don't explicitly see it in the film doesn't mean it didn't occur- it's not like you can "see" the force anyway. The novelizations are canon where they don't explicitly contradict the films (e.g. Yoda having blue skin in the TESB novelization or Luke being "Blue 5" instead of Red 5, things like that).

Stunrun
Ever since the Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition opened in May 1997, a certain 9 year old kid (me) nagged my mother to go and see it. By then, i had already seen such movies as Jurassic Park, which boasted ground breaking special effects. But it didnt have much effect on me. I wanted something bigger! something......out of this world!
I first watched Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, and to think a movie that shocked audiences 20 years ago could still have an effect on people of my era is amazing. To me, i felt i was always there at the opening day. May 25th 1977 was the day people had seen a movie that would change Cinema forever. Only difference was, i saw the movie exactly 20 years lateryes so from that day forward, my life was changed.
Not long after, i had the pleasure to watch Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. At this time i was 10 years old, and i never knew that Darth Vader was lukes father, eventhough the secret was out for 17 years alreadywink so i was shocked, just as everyone else was, so emediately, this movie became my greatest movie of all time ( btw, still not toppedstick out tongue)
Then Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi came along, and like Revenge Of The Sith, it felt like the circle was complete. The Ewoks didnt piss me off surprisingly, but i always saw this episode as the very first "Modern Blockbuster" , but it didnt quite live up to ANH and Empire in my opinionwink
Then in 1999, when i was 12 years old, the prequels began. At first i hated the idea, but when Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace soon came around, the excitement kicked in yet again, and IT WAS BACK!
In 2002, Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones was released, and the night of May 16th was one of my most memorable moments to datecool So will Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith surpass anything the OT had to offer?? its honestly too early to tell, but i think one thing will remain, A New Hope and Empire will never be topped!!!!!

Stunrun
excuse my life story peeps laughing out loud

Bob-Zombie
Weird you seemed to have skipped a year in 1997 you were 9 and 2 years later in 1999 you were 12.......

Stunrun
well i just turned 17 in december of last year, ill let u work it outstick out tongue

edit: i was very almost 10 in 1997

Bob-Zombie
hmmmmmm.....
you were born in december.....

ITS JESUS RETURNED!!!!!!

Stunrun
is that like a zombie jesus on ur av? or whatlaughing out loud

Ushgarak
Keep things on topic please, folks.

Bob-Zombie
on topic eh?
ok star wars is a top movie man

queeq
The OT yes. wink

storyteller_66
I've read thru these posts and tried to be open when reading others opinions. Those of you who saw the OT when it orginally came out, have an affinity for those movies that can't be matched now that we are adults. We all remember as a kid the first time the opening scene played out in ANH. It took us five minutes to realize our jaws were still open after the opening scene died down. Before then, there had never been an opening statement such as that in cinema history. When those fast paced 2 hours ended....we were hooked. I remember pestering my parents every week to take me back to see it again, never able to get enough and fearing that it might be gone for good (before the days of video or dvd). ESB comes around 3 years later, and now we have a detailed story that is interwoven well around the effects and giving the characters a depth that wasn't explored in ANH. I still remember Vader's fateful words and the collective gasp from the audience that I've never heard or seen since. The only disappointment at that time about ESB is that we had to wait another 3 years to see how the drama played itself out. ROTJ was a nice epilogue in the series, but most agreed in 1983 that it didn't have the pizzazz or the orginality of the first two. Death Star II, ewoks somehow triumphing over the Emperor's best legion of men?, a ragtag fleet somehow able to best the entire fleet?
But, it was still Star Wars and we loved it.
I know a lot of you love the prequels, but unfortunately they can't rekindle the feelings that us older generation felt the first time around with the OT. To me it seems that characterization and fine storytelling have been pushed aside for mind blowing special effects that try to top everything else that we have become accustomed to in today's day and age.
But, like everyone else here, it's just an opinion.
1. ESB 2. ANH 3. ROTJ 4. AOTC 5. TPM
ROTS: unfortunately, its impossible to place w/o first seeing it....but I would be happy if it can rival ROTJ.
PEACE.

Stunrun
"....but I would be happy if it can rival ROTJ."

I think it could be possibleyes but nothing can top ANH and Empire. I suppose i can kinda relate to some of you older fans, because i too watched the movies in the order they were releasedyes but 1977 was Star Wars fever!!! and i wasnt around for that lolsad

queeq
We always get this excuse from seeing the OT when we were kids. But I think one can quite strongly agree that ANH and ESB are superior in storytelling and directing. Plus there's another simple conclusion: the OT rocked the film world, the PT is so so among other great films. Modern technology allows Lucas to finally show his true vision, and yet it has much less of an impact than say... LOTR. Which in its true right is the OT of the 21st century.

Snakebyte
from what ive heard and read, ROTS seems to get darker than ESB.
Ok , we know what will happen with the new born Darth Vader in E4-6, but still it got some points for the darkness.

1. ESB
2. ROTS
3. ANH
4. ROTJ
5. TPM
6. AOTC

with ANH/ROTS fighting for 2/3...

eleveninches
order of goodness:

1.ESB
2.ROTS
3.ANH
4.AOTC/ROTJ
5.ROTJ/AOTC
6.ANH

Stunrun
was just wandering, how do ya get that writing above ur signature eleveninches?smile

"Modern technology allows Lucas to finally show his true vision, and yet it has much less of an impact than say... LOTR. Which in its true right is the OT of the 21st century."

blah blah blah LOTR this and LOTR that.
the book was SOOOOO much better.

Stunrun
then Peter Jackson got his hands on itmad

which reminds me, did anyone see Jackson on the SW Trilogy DVD? right at the end of a documentary, he tries to compare himself to Lucas, saying "We were both nerds in highschool, and couldnt getta girlfriend", something like that, what a dorklaughing out loud

not flaming LOTR just not my thang! smile

glad we agree

cylob49
i dont like lotr i find it on the whole dull and repetative
plus frodo and sam get on my tats
tho i am looking forward to king kong
i find it rather cool that just like 1977 Vader and Kong will be on the big screen again

queeq
Very true.

All I'm saying: SW is not making much of an impact these days. Not on the storytelling field (unlike: "I am your father"wink as well as technologically. Despite some critics, the overall assessment wordlwide by both viewers and critics of LOTR is that Jackson did one hell of a job.

Ogami Itto
I think you can't compare LOTR to SW beacause one is a book adaptation and one is a straight out movie. Also the OT would have been rubbish if it was made now for the first time! Modern technology is good but until you can't notice things are CG it's not not good enough! it should be used sparingly!!!

Batman316
if ROTS is PG13 then there isn't a question.

Personally though the others all have cool stuff in them ANH is my favourite. Could be cause I saw it 14 times in a row when I was 6 and my dad ran the local drive-in lol

However once the cycle is compelete, if all goes as well as we hope and the entire saga is seemlessly tied together I don't think personal favourites will matter. We will sit down, and start with TPM and work our way through every one and finish with ROTJ.

And then we will do it all over again. smile

Ogami Itto
I hope so then i can get on with my life lol!!!(laughing on the outside, serious on the inside!)

nice yes

queeq
Rubbish in what way? Storytelling and directing in ANH and ESB are still awesome to modern standards. SW isn't JUST special effects, dude.

And yes I can compare. I can compare because they're both MOVIES!!!! Umberto Eco said it like this when they made a movie out of Name of the Rose: a book is a book and a movie is a movie. That's why he didn't butt in when they made a script.

Also, LOTR and the PT are all movies with high expectations. LOTR met them, the PT has not... so far. (and of course, I hope ROTS finally delivers!)

.:Darth Dave:.
I come from the land of LOTR, and i can say you definately can't compare LOTR and SW too much but both have some vague similarities. GL took alot of inspirations from many directions and made SW plain and simple. The OT still stand up very , very well against modern movies considering the age gap. BTW to be honest , I've enjoyed all SW Movies but do have my favourites and i fell as i may as well put my two cents worth in:

1. ROTS (If things go as planned or as they look atm)
2. ESB
3. AOTC
4. ROTJ
5. ANH
6. TPM ( Not saying i dont like it, i find basically all perfect with minor flaws)

DD Out.

queeq
Well, you have your hopes up for ROTS... I had that with AOTC, even (or especially) after reading the novel before the film came out. This time: seeing is believing.

And coming from New Zealand is hardly an argument why I can't compare LOTR with SW. There's plenty of reasons to compare them. More than there are not to do so.

Hey hey , i wasn't disagreeing with you, i was just commenting. Anyways, as i was saying before, GL subtly ripped off alot of old movies/books/religions to come up with the SW universe where everything feels unique to the person watching/reading whatever. Like i mean just look at the things in the "incredible cross-sections" book and you'll see things we don't have in our world but when we read it we understand what this and that does.

DD Out.

queeq
"DD out", hehehehe, reminds me of when I was younger. I used to end all my posts with "queeq out". I like you already.

Ty-- just a little habit ive had for a while.... in tfn i was Darth Shadows but everyone thought i was SS and i allways ended with DS Out hehe.

DD Out.

queeq
Well, after a while I changed it to "queeq abides", but now it's in my siggie.

I see you censor your sig too. Hmm you'll prolly think im crazy but i still go to SS.com for the laugh at him thinking hes gonna make ep VII-IX big grin yeah and him talking himself up saying he scores all the time, its basically a comedian site.

DD Out.

queeq
Oh cool.... not crazy, just a funny guy.

I wonder where he gets his shit from? I remember he had the jtf before tfn did.

DD Out.

queeq
jtf?

Just The Facts

queeq
Ah...

clicking now?

queeq
Finally... wink

im getting the impression it hasnt clicked in a while... :P

queeq
I try not to click to much.

Yes....not to be a floater in the stream.... i have those same philpsophies...

queeq
Good good... hehehehehe.

Its good to just talk shit isnt it? hmm i feel stoned

queeq
THat's KMC, pal. Hehehehe

you participate in other forums in kmc?

queeq
Just one. Occasionally on TFN but hardly ever these days.

Stunrun
If the OT was released now it would NOT be rubbish. Remember, the storyline, the characters and the acting was what made these moviesyes

Ogami Itto
oh come on a new hope, exactly the same but with different actors? Pleeeaasssee!!!!!

Ogami Itto
Plus you must have seen the Farcical add ons hes done the OT already!!! Greedo shooting first !! droids bashing each other? some stoopid music number in the middle of it! Han stepping on jabb's tail! Have you seen that sack of shit emporer in ESB (special edition)???if it was up to lucas that would be your emporer in ROTJ!!! NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

queeq
Of course, everything has to be seen in its time. SW was great for its time. And if a visionary stands up today to make a groundbreaking film with some major balls, it'd be great.
Even Gone with the Wind wouldn't be the all-time-highest-grossing EVER if it was released today, but it is still a great film.

Ogami Itto
ANH is a fantastic film but if it was made now it would be very different

XX Emperor XX
This is what worries me that EP.3 will be overhyped and not be as good as the OT....Wait what am I saying of course it will. It will be the greatest movie ever!!!! AOTC in my mind was better then ANH and ESB, not ROTJ though, and yes I know what some of you are thinking that ROTJ sucked I just like it the most because of Ian Mcdiarmid performace as the Emperor and there were so many memoriable quotes from him and Vader too, but the Ewoks do suck, anyway its diff. not better then ROTS, without even seeing the movie, just from what I have read and seen so far its already 10X better then any of the episodes

1.ROTS
2.ROTJ
3.AOTC
4.ANH
5.ESB
6.TPM

queeq
XX, I'm amazed at your order of preference there. You'r entitled to it of course, but the only ranking I can agree with is TPM in last place. And putting ROTS first is a tad premature if you ask me. TPM and AOTC were also overhyped and they didn't live up to the expectations.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Spoken wise you have, Mister "queeq" Moderator.
I agree on this...
Not a personal matter xxEmperorxx, but it sounds more like a Supershadow kind of ranking(not to mention him ofcourse)

I don't like to rank these movies, because everyone has it's own fav, but if I let speak my mind it would be more like this;

1 ESB
2 ANH
3 AOTC
4 ROTJ
5 TPM
....I hope ROTS will end up somewhere at 1,2 or 3

queeq
Yes, a list and hope for ROTS I can agree with.

DarthAJ
hmmm...first post!

my list:
ROTS-4.8stars
AOTC-4.5-stars
ESB-4.4-stars
ROTJ-4 stars
TPM -3.5stars
ANH-3stars

i actually dislike ANH to me its so bland and boring
i like TPM for its fresh colors except for silly stuff
ROTJ takes to much time with the Tatooine and Endor forest scenes
ESB also has a wonderful color setting like Hoth and the sunsets of Cloud city
Aotc-fight scenes-jango vs. Obi,Yoda vs.Dooku,Mace vs. Jango, Clone Wars
Rots-probably the colors,fights,wars,charachters,music(hopefully) will take the top spot

Stunrun
"i actually dislike ANH to me its so bland and boring"

i respect your opinion but youve gotta look beyond the look of the movie, and look more into the storyline ( out of this world ) the acting ( the best acting in any other SW movie ) and youve also got to remember that if it wasnt for ANH, Star Wars would not such a big hit, or it might not of existedyes and it won 7 oscarsstick out tongue

MochaChica
Being that the buzz for this film is insane here on the boards, I'm going to say of course ROTS is going to surpass the OT. But, in truly giving it thought, isn't it taking a lot of credit away from the OT by saying that a film that no one has even seen yet is going to "surpass" them. ROTS has all the potential in the world to be amazing and POSSIBLY the best Star Wars yet, but Lucas hasn't really been delivering. People (McCallum in particular) believe this is the one we've been waiting for. This is the one that is going to make its two predecessors better. That this movie is going to blow everyone's mind. The fact that it may be the first PG-13 Star Wars? What!? A lot of hype is what I say. I'm just going to say that even though this one is being set up as the greatest, I'll take it that into consideration when those credits roll on May 19th. evil face

Shhhh...
But we all know this one is going to kick ass in all aspects. 12-min duel? Padme's death? More Yoda fighting? A freaking acting coach people! All the ingredients for an amazing Star Wars.

Happy Dance

Stunrun
plus Hayden's acting skills had possitive reactions by other actorsyes
could this be his moment to shine?

XX Emperor XX
None taken jm FcthumbsUp.......I hate supershadow is it me or does that guy lie about everything hands down!!!!

MochaChica
Jesus Stun, I sure as hell hope so. I'm a big fan of Hayden ( big grin ) Sorry, I just find him very cute. But anyway, it seems that with each film, he gets better. More comfortable with being a screen actor. First, he shot AOTC, than Life as a House, and than he came out with Shattered Glass that I really enjoyed seeing him in. He's progressively improved and been better and stronger as a principal character. Hayden is a great actor, I stand by that whole-heartedly. I think this movie is going to show that. Vader is a huge character, a HUGE cinematic character. Everyone and their mother thinks Darth Vader, oh that evil guy from Star Wars. It's pop culture. Hayden really has a LOT on his plate and I really think he's going to follow through.

Happy Dance

bILLYgOAT
After general SW fan disappointment with the PT movies,
ROTS has a lot of fan prayers riding on it to make the previous PT movies a part of a whole of a great trilogy, similar to the LotR films.

I hope it goes down that path.

Julie
That depends on your POV....EpIII will most likely be good, but who knows how good since some loved and hated the EP I and II and same goes for old classics.

I plan on enjoying it at least 4 times anyways

travisbb69
1. The Empire strikes Back
2. Attack of the clones
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace
...in my opinion.
i'm sure ROTS with be better than episodes 1 & 2 but its doubtful that it will surpass TESB.

queeq
I don't think should we should go for praise for his acting in SW. He has other films where he can do the real work.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Yes, my friend...but I believe they've done more talking about him on this forum, than there's ever been spoken about George Lucas himself!
Just let it go...SS believes he's created the entire SW-prequel-trilogy...we've abandoned this subject a long time ago in a galaxy far far away!

(p.s SS should get the death penalty...but just me....mhuhawhawhaw) laughing

queeq
Does SS still exist? And is he still the original SS? Who can unfold the mystery?

bILLYgOAT
SS is a harmless Walter Mitty character who believes he has the ear of GL.

Has anyone ever done a list of what rumours he posted that turned out to be false?
It would make interesting reading. smile

Sith Master X
Unfortunately there wouldn't be enough room anywhere to fit all those false rumors.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>