Bright Eyes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SeptemberRain
Has anyone heard of the band Bright Eyes? It is headed by Conor Oberst, a twenty something lyrical genius and modern day poet. The band Bright Eyes, is an indie/ folk/ rock band that is produced by the record label, Saddle Creek.
Oberst actually started this record label to get his band going when he was a teenager. Although he started the label when he was in the band called Commander Venus. He and the lead singer of the band The Faint ( who was also part of Commander Venus) started this record label which has produced some of the best indie bands of the generation. Which include but is not limited to: Bright Eyes, The Faint, Tilly and the Wall, Cursive, Desperacidos(also headed by Oberst), Sorry About Dresden, and Now its Overhead.

big grin

startxthexmosh
yes i have.they are good.

ElectricBugaloo
OMGZ U R ON TEH CUTTING EDGE OF INDY MUZIC!!!!!

Saddle Creek has put out maybe 2-3 good albums total. They get all this hype, but they haven't done anything to warrant the attention. Look to Sub Pop, they have been releasing all the things that are worthwhile lately; The Shins, Iron & Wine (better indie folk than the self-pretentious Conor can ever hope to be), The Postal Service (probably the catchiest thing to come out since...a long time) and the list goes on.

SeptemberRain
hold on EB. Most of the time I like what you listen to. But Conor is great. But of course you have an opinion of your own, which is cool. I like The Shins, the f*cking rock. Iron and Wine, I do not like that much. But then again I have only heard one song by them. Also, The Postal Service in my opinion are a decent band, but in my opinion not all that great.

ElectricBugaloo
Iron and Wine has more beautiful lyrics and rhythm than anyone else out there today. Sam Beam is truly a genius when it comes to making indie folk music. Though his next EP kind of scares me since it will have (gasp) electric guitars and pianos!

The Postal Service combine electronica with some of the most heartfelt lyrics of the past decade. The backing electronica of Jimmy Timborello are inventive, catchy and new. Ben Gibbard steps up and gives the perfect lyrics to accompany the music. To many, it is our personal music of our generation.

SeptemberRain
well, maybe I should give Iron and Wine another chance. I am usually open to new music.

I still dont know about them. I downloaded some of their stuff and I did not like it all that much.

ElectricBugaloo
Hmm, pretty much everyone who likes Bright Eyes and I tell them about Iron & Wine immediatly prefers Sam Beam's work since it is less narcissistic and more...globally themed.

SeptemberRain
all right then I will check them out.

ElectricBugaloo
oh, and Bright Eyes will be on Austin City Limits tonighit with Wilco

StinkFist462
i bought there Digital Ash in a Digital Urn yesterday and i havent stopped listening to it yet

buttcrack
never herd of them

StinkFist462
pretty good ..

Df02
The Postal Service, Hot Chip and Moving Units are all great Indie-esque bands that combine electronic bits in the music

finti
phew the band Bright Eyes at first I thougth this was gonna be a tribute to that Art Garfunkel song Bright Eyes................. sick

StinkFist462
lmao laughing out loud

Afro Cheese
I don't get the big deal about this band. I was recommended to listen to them by this girl who acted like they were the best thing in today's music and it was a big disappointment when I finally heard them. The vocals are especially annoying.

Solo
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
Hmm, pretty much everyone who likes Bright Eyes and I tell them about Iron & Wine immediatly prefers Sam Beam's work since it is less narcissistic and more...globally themed.

Actually, I've heard all of I&W (that's right even that piece of trash "The Creek Drank the Cradle"wink and I can say, without hesitation, that I'd prefer Bright Eyes over Iron & Wine anyday. Especially, with Oberst's beautiful "Lifted, or, The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground".

Man, I do love Bright Eyes.

Solo
No other Bright Eyes fans? I'm impressed.

*Georgina_A*
Bright Eyes is awesome.

sweetness
I really like bright eyes but i would prefer Death Cab For Cutie and The Postal

Imaginary
Originally posted by Solo
No other Bright Eyes fans? I'm impressed.

You're impressed because there aren't any othe fans? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Solo
Originally posted by Imaginary
You're impressed because there aren't any othe fans? roll eyes (sarcastic)
Misuse of words.

*No other Bright Eyes fans, I'm surprised.

Satisfied?

Solo
Lifted is my favorite Bright Eyes CD.

StinkFist462
yea. Lifted is great. Digital Ash is pretty good also.

Solo
I liked Fevers And Mirrors much more than Digital Ash, but nonetheless, Digital Ash is a great album.

StinkFist462
only listened to F&M a few times. is A Collection Of Songs Written And Recorded (1995-1997) any good?

jaden101
i've got some connor oberst doing some live stuff with ryan adams...pretty good...i'll check out some of the stuff mentioned

RedAlertv2
can anyone reccomend some good songs? Ill check em out.

Solo
Originally posted by StinkFist462
only listened to F&M a few times. is A Collection Of Songs Written And Recorded (1995-1997) any good?

Yeah, it's pretty good. Better than F&M and Digital Ash.

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
can anyone reccomend some good songs? Ill check em out.

Practically anything on "Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground".

My favorite song by him is "Nothing Gets Crossed Out".

jaden101
i've had a listen...i like

you should check out David Kitt...similar style...very good also

papabeard
I like most of his stuff, i think i prefer the postal service though

Solo
Motion Sickness is the shit.

SnakeEyes
BUMP

I've recently been getting into them/him...

Morning_Glory
love'em

Imaginary
I prefer just about every other band mentioned here. I listened to Digital Ash once and the vocals were grating on my nerves after about 10 minutes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.