Why is working so much like life?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JToTheP
Why is it that when you work a job with shit for pay, and that just plain sucks, you meet the coolest, and nicest people ever, who agree with how you feel and everything. Why is it when you get a job that has great pay, benefits, etc, the staff just plain blows? Why is it so much like life, where if you have many friends your going to have a lot of trouble in the future, and if you have a few, but best friends, your better off?

silver_tears
Life's a ***** babe smokin'

charmedFairy
what she said..

The Tired Hiker
Just take care of yourself.

mechmoggy
I've found people I hate and people I really get on with in every job I've worked - no matter what the wages.

Fetcharada
it's the same at school

MornGlory
I know what you mean!
I am at this shit job now - and the pay is crap - and the customers treat me like shit and every week I keep telling myself I need to find a new job - but.. I love the people I work with,, I just have the best time here, and all the people I work with are so good to me..

my boss is nice but he is CHEAP!! and made me work christmas eve, x-mas day, thanksgiving, new yrs eve and new yrs night -UGHmad

dave123
cos you're a dumbass that deserves a low paid job, and gets along with other dumbasses zorro

mechmoggy
laughing out loud

Imperial_Samura
This is why I shall never work, but rather stay at uni for the rest of my life... But seriously, I kind of agree, people in lower paid jobs often are nicer, and a more mixed bunch, I love working at bookshops, not great pay, but usually great people. Although I did actually work in a law firm over a short period (not as a lawyer, not sure what I was, I got the lunches, a go-for maybe) and there were a couple of good people, but the rest were just obsessed and not particularly great, just it seems that the higher paid the job, the more personality and happiness one has to sacrifice...

Jackie Malfoy
I don't work so I have no idea.But I hoping that when I do work I will not see work as my life or it will be very depressing for me.JM

mechmoggy
That's a bit of a generalisation isn't it?

I earn a fair crack, and work with people on even more than that, and we all have a great laugh. yes

Clovie
i don't follow confused

JToTheP
Too add more to that, you can dick around more at a lower paying job, and only be scolded, at a higher paying job, your boss tells their boss, then they tell their boss etc. roll eyes (sarcastic) Dammit, you can't win. stick out tongue

mechmoggy
I mean, I'm on decent money but still have a great laugh at work.

I don't think that taking a responsible role means you have to "sacrifice your personality or happiness", thats just taking life/work too seriously.

Clovie
tx for explanation happy you have a point.
but it is not easy not to take life too seriously.

JToTheP
It depends on the situation or type of person you are Clovie.

I can act like a damn teenage fool, a child, talk with my friends in a mature manner, or act like a complete fool. It's all in the type of situation, or how you are. I constantly zone out at work lately, because all we get is returns, and I'm on register, so I'm being paid to do nothing, but talk to my friends, and the girl I like initially. So that makes me want to consider staying until I graduate community college. Also because I wouldn't want to lose these kids as friends, and I'd die if I couldn't talk to/see the girl I like as much/little as I can.

Clovie
you are right... so corecting.. for me it is hard not to take life seriously.

mechmoggy
You have to be serious at work sometimes (in meetings etc), but you can still have a quick joke now and then (even in meetings!).

God, I'd never survive a day at work if I couldn't have a laugh now and then.

BadKitty
this is a pretty true statement jp...less paying jobs I've had had really cool people to work with...right now I'm making the most money I ever did and loath going to work because I can't tolerate my co-workers or the people I work for.

it's a evil catch-22 I suppose...but I rather have more money then work buddies because I have my real friends outside of work.

JToTheP
I'm glad so many of you agree with me.

Well, my only friends I still hang out with outside of high school, usually work nights, or are in college, so when I'm off work, they have class, and such, etc. So that's why I'm trying to be as close and good friends as possible with the select few people I know pretty well at work, but I see what you mean about making more money, but it's nice having decent co-workers to.

Phoenix Aska
so is the point that life is boring when you're working?

because it is...

JToTheP
No Aska, you missed the point.

Phoenix Aska
Yeah probably...I didn't really read anyone else's opinions or comments...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.