what are some good songs to play for newer guitarests

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Funkmaster BE
ok so ill admit it i suck at oplaying the guitar but as monty python would say "im getting better" but im running out of stuff to practice with. i play accoustic guitar and soon im buying an electric one but need music . please tell me the band and song thanks. oh yea and im trying to get into nickthebassist and snakeeyes band they are my friends from school

startxthexmosh
umm jane says by jane's addiction is like 2 or 3 cords.i love that songs dude.and its acoustic.

Darth Revan
blink-182- "All the Small Things" is an easy song to learn... And Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Some SOAD riffs are fairly easy if you can be bothered to put your guitar in dropped-d tuning (dadgbe)

moonwalker741
try a couple of green day songs, some songs are only liek 3 to 5 chords

try "damnit" by blink 182, thats pretty good to learn

and the solo in nirvana "smells liek teens spirit"

Deathblow
Yeah Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the easiest songs I know, along with the core riff from Californication by RHCP.

Also check out some of the tabs for Rage Against The Machine's earlier stuff, they have one or two very easy songs.

mechmoggy
"Lucky man" by the Verve is a piece of pish.

It would be easier if you said what style of music or which groups you like.

ElectricBugaloo
Try anything from the late punk movement. Three chords and you're done.

eggmayo
Rage Against the Machine - Sleep Now In the Fire
Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away
Black Sabbath - Iron Man, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box, Smells Like... and Lithium
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Deep Purple - Smoke On the Water

Solo
Jimi Hendrix- Purple Haze

Bierbommetje
Hey Joe is also pretty easy

Song 2 by Blur
Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols
Woo Hoo by the Rock-a-Teens
Twist n Shout by the Beatles
All Day And All Of The Night by the Kinks
You Really Got Me by the Kinks
Enter Sandman by Metallica

rockchickgem
does anyone know if an electric guitar is easier to play than an acoustic guitar? coz i really wanna play electric guitar

amity75
That was the first song I learned to play. The trick is to learn the hardest piece of music available. (Eruption by Van Halen for example) and if you can master that you can master anything. Play Eruption once through every single day for the next year even if it takes you 2 hours to get all the way through it. You'll get there in the end.

Alpha Centauri
Nobody alive besides Eddie Van Halen and perhaps under 5 other guitarists can ever master "Eruption". Pointless for you to even think of trying.

"Heart Shaped Box" is a good first one.

-AC

amity75
I can play it and so can 2 other people I know. Seriously, it's all about practice.

AcrypT
The Cranberries - Zombie
That's gotta be one of the easiest songs, 3 chords, it's easy for me and I suck at playing guitar.
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
A bit more difficult than zombie but if I can do it them I'm sure anyone with minimal guitar talent can manage.
A bunch on Nirvana and Green Day are easy enough for beginners.

Alpha Centauri
"I can play it and so can 2 other people I know. Seriously, it's all about practice."

We clearly aren't talking about the same version. Or if we are I seriously find it incredibly hard to believe that you can play it anywhere near as fast or note precise. Are your two friends name Joe and Steve by any chance?

-AC

amity75
It was achieved by breaking it down into sections and practising for 5 hours a day for almost a year.

Alpha Centauri
That being said, I still find it hard to believe. I'd have to hear and see it to believe it.

Just me though.

-AC

eggmayo
Sabbath - Into The Void, Iron Man, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

tabby999
the solo from One by Metallica, it sounds easy so it must be wink

eggmayo
Actually the whole of One is pretty easy.

tabby999
appart from the solo, sounds like Kirks fingers are going to melt to the frets

eggmayo
You gotta mean the second solo then... thats all turbo pulloffs and bends...

eggmayo
It has more than one solo... its a great song...

Alpha Centauri
Playing "Cemetary Gates" actually hypes me up to the point of wanting to hoof myself out the window.

-AC

eggmayo
How do you play the natural harmonics or whatever in the riff of Cemetery Gates?

Alpha Centauri
Pinch Harmonics you mean.

-AC

eggmayo
I dunno, the bit that everyone recognises.

Darth Revan
Yeah, it's a lot easier. Unless it's a classical acoustic guitar, those are really easy to play.

eggmayo
If you get the chance, start on a nylon string acoustic, and move to a steel string, then go to electric, by that time your fingers will have gone properly hard, and if you regret learning guitar, you can save the money of buying an electric.

Darth Revan
Oh, and tabby, I highly doubt you and two people you know can play "Eruption" or at least nearly as fast as Van Halen plays it. Besides which, the average guitarist does NOT want to spend two years learning one song. Imagine playing it for your friends, and then they ask what else you can play, expecting you to pull out a Hendrix riff or something. "Uh... Well, actually..."

Alpha Centauri
"I dunno, the bit that everyone recognises."

Practice. The trick is to bend quickly but not fully so you get that dog whistle sound but can revert back to the main riff fairly quick.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=13OA59VXQY3TT2PG860DRDOUVP
"Aerodynamic" by Daft Punk. My friend played the Bass a bit out of time.

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0J4Z6AA180VOI0D0RKRFYAYQU8
"Master of Puppets" solo.

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=16G0UU3JYW20O13ULNOY07VDL0
"Master of Puppets" opening riff.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
What the. Some libertyville.

You play the pinch harmonics in Cemetery Gates by hitting the string with the edge of your thumb fractionally after you pick it

Alpha Centauri
Just so I don't continually get accused of libertyville.

I didn't actually claim those files were mine. I said at the very top of the page that it was my friend.

Confusion avoided.

-AC

Lord_Andres
''Nobody alive besides Eddie Van Halen and perhaps under 5 other guitarists can ever master "Eruption". Pointless for you to even think of trying.''

Dude ever heard any of the crazy swedish guitar gods??? I think not, John Norum, Yngwie Malmsteen, Mattias IA Eklundh, and Kee Marcello would have no problem in playing Eruption, they make solos that are far superiour then Eruption, and I mean FAR! and now we are only talking about the swedish guys, and lets take a look at some other guys, lets start with Steve Vai, he is CLEARLY better then van halen, just watch one of the G3's and you'l see what I mean, last G3 he played with a 3 neck guitar! beat that! and also Joe satriani is much better then van halen, Bill Leverty is also far better then Halen, speakin of Bill Leverty, he plays with a band called Firehouse, now to the guy that made this thread, if you need some insirations go check out a albume they made some years back simply called

Firehouse - Good Accoustics

its a CD that has all of their greates hits only played Accoustic, truly amazing solos and nice play, and also if you just want to hear some masters, take a listen to the guys I mentioned earlyer in this post, they clearly beat the shit out of van halen with the AXE! heh

Alpha Centauri
"last G3 he played with a 3 neck guitar! beat that!"

You beat it.

-AC

Lord_Andres
dont take it so personal, what I ment was that he totaly owns, anyway if you care for a listen , give me your email and I'l send you a song made by Yngwie, its a very short song, only 55sec, but it shows this guys skills with the acoustic guitar, you'l be blown away for sure

Alpha Centauri
W-was joking.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
None of those are better than EVH. They might have more precision, but so what. Hendrix is less precise than all of them as well.

Finally, who in the hell is Bill Leverty. Bill Leverty I ask you.

amity75
I'm 23 years old and I've been playing guitar since I was 8. How did I get from my first open G to Eruption? - Practice.

Darth Revan
I believe that by practicing only that song obsessively for maybe a few years you could get it down. What I don't believe is that any guitarist new to the instrument would want to spend their time doing that. Knowing one very hard song does not make you a good musician.

Lord_Andres
Bill Leverty is the guitaris in Firehouse, hope this link will help those in wonder

http://www.leverty.com/

loserib
my guitarist can play Eruption no problem

*Danii*
I'd say Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.