Sith and Dark Jedi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Markwin Joe
Though some may have not known, not all Dark Jedi are Sith, since we know that the Jedi order has not seen the Sith for such a long time, but they have encountered many dark Jedi. What makes a dark Jedi into a Sith?

Ushgarak
You have to be a member of the organisation called the Sith. Simple as that.

jango fatt
Yeah, where's your brain?

JK

Markwin Joe
I know that, but how does one go about the process, and what sets them apart? Is it the fighting style, do their eyes turn yellow? How did the Jedi in Ep I know they were Sith and not just dark jedi?

chilled monkey
There's an episode of Clone Wars in which Assajj Ventress (a dark Jedi) claims to be a Sith. Dooku (knowing better) replies "you wear the trappings of a Sith, you fight like a Sith, but these can be duplicated." He goes on to say that Sith have no fear and he senses much fear in Ventress.

The real difference is that Sith have teachings and knowledge of the Dark Side that goes beyond what a 'regular' dark Jedi would know.

How did they know Maul was a Sith and not just a Jedi gone bad? Because he felt different in the Force.

Ushgarak
Actually, no, that's not how he knew. He guessed that because Maul was trained in the Jedi way, and as the Jedi did not teach him (and in the canon plotline there are no Dark jedi running around), that left only the Sith who COULD have trained him.

And you go through the process by joining the Sith, and what sets them apart is that they presumably have more knowledge and experience to teach you with.

There is nothing endemically different about the Sith- it is just an organisation. You cannot, for example, get the power of x and therefore become Sith.

Delfedd
A dark jedi is a jedi who has fallen and justuses the dark side.

a sith is the same (sometimes) but has been trained as a sith, initiated as a sith and i forgot what i was going to say.

chilled monkey
Ushgarak: No offence, but there are numerous Dark Jedi in the canon. Asajj Ventress, Sora Bulq etc. Plus if you read the novels set when Obi-Wan was a kid, there were non-Sith evil Force-users there.

Plus, when Mace Windu fought Ventress, he knew right away that she wasn't a Sith. And at that time, he knew that there were Sith about. So there is presumably a way of sensing the difference. Likewise in the 'Shatterpoint' novel, he senses darkness in Kar Vastor, but he knows that it isn't Sith darkness.

As you say, the only difference is that Sith have more extensive knowledge of the Dark Side.

Ushgarak
That is NOT canon. So no offence, but that has no relevance when asking that question of an event in the films.

There are no Dark Jedi outside of the EU.

Delfedd
he's right. dark jedi have never been in the movies.

chilled monkey
I see your point. Personally, I consider novels, comics etc to be canon as long as they don't directly contradict anything from the movies, but that's just my opinion.

What you have to consider though is that even if we haven't seen any Dark Jedi on-screen, there must have been some. Considering the Jedi have been around for thousands of years, statistically there must have been some who turned to the Dark Side, yet were not Sith.

Delfedd
I know.

Ogami Itto
If were gonna be canon how do we really know there were thousands of sith at one point ???? there might have always bin 2

Darth_Nefarus
Dark Jedi merely use the force for evil intentions. The Sith on the other hand use the darkside and their evil magics to corrupt the force itself, and attempt to dominate all life.

Ushgarak
Opinion about canon means nothing- it has an official description, which opinion cannot change.

"If were gonna be canon how do we really know there were thousands of sith at one point ???? there might have always bin 2"

George Lucas said so.

Red Superfly
Yoda says so: "Always two there are".

All explanations as to WHY there are two and only two, are not canon. Until Lucas says the reaosn himself then you can't consider it the truth.

Dark Jedi are fabrications. They are great and all, but they aren't canon.

As far as the official Star Wars timeline goes, there was only Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, Darth Tyrannus and Darth Vader. FACT.

We can speculate, writers can make new stories all about who trained Maul, who trained Sidious, but the fact of the matter is that until Lucas says so, nothing is a fact. Dark Jedi fall into this.

I love the EU, but the way people blabber on about Dark Jedi as if they really exist in the official timeline is really annoying.

Ushgarak
So happens GL has explained that rule...

"One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the dark side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually, there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, become the master, and so on. But there could never be any more than two of them, because if there were, they would try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies."

Which also, incidentally, kills the idea that it was done in secret at the end of the last Sith Wars. It was done thousands of years ago, and the Jedi clearly know about it.

It is worth noting, though, that in the canon Dark Jedi CAN exist, even if they don't- because having not established that Dooku is a Sith, a Dark Jedi is presumably what they think he is.

EyeOfApocalypse
The Dark Jedi are merely Jedi Dissidents who 'tap' into the Dark Side of the Force. They can channel it, but they are never truly 'one' with it as the Sith are.

The Sith are a completely different religion altogether. Their study of the Dark Side goes far beyond that of the Dark Jedi, the Dark Side does not just flow through a Sith, it consumes them. They embrace it as one does their own religious beliefs.

That is my take on the difference between the Dark Jedi and the Sith, if there is anything that I did not make clear, please feel free to ask.

jimmy986
Ushgarak,
if vader and the emperor were trying to get rid of each other why did the emperor even take anakin as an apprentice anyways, knowing that he would become a rival. i understand vader wanted luke to join him and kill the emperor but why didn't vader and emperor just fight it out instead of acting so civil to each other like vader being a servent to the emperor?

Ushgarak
It just seems to be the Sith way- respect, tradition and then eventually brutal murder of one or the other.

So Georgey boy tells it!

Delfedd
oh, and the sith where trying to preserve everything. I suspect that all the sith have been doing this, their apprentices eventually rising up and slaying him

Areora
>sad The sith are the infinite and undying. They have so come to grips with the Dark Side that no amount of light can or will turn them. They are the most powerful force users, and the true masters of combat. They are better strategists and deserve the power they have. Vader was not a Sith because his weakness was love. It is a blight upon the Sith, love is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.