"Goodfellas" DVD Review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Strangelove
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/goodfellassedvd.jpg

Picture: Goodfellas presents a anamorphic wide screen transfer. It's a nice transfer and it's way better than the dreaded flipper back in 97. Transfer gets a 8/10.

Sound: Goodfellas comes in English and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. It has subtitles in English, French and Spanish. The sound is pretty much regulated to the front speakers, which doesn't surprise me with a film like this. Sound gets a 6/10.

Presentation: The main menus are pretty bland. It shows stills of the main characters with the Goodfellas theme music playing. Goodfellas comes in a two-disc Amaray case with no insert with the famous poster of Goodfellas as the DVD cover, which I like a lot. Presentation gets a 7/10.

Extras: The best extra is the commentary with the real Henry Hill and former FBI Agent Edward McDonald. The track has everything from Hill telling stories about when he was in the mob to how the movie compared to his life. There is also a commentary with Martin Scorsese, Ray Liotta, Lorraine Bracco, Paul Sorvino, Frank Vincent and many more of the cast and crew.
Disk 2 has the documentary Getting Made. It's pretty good although there was a little to much ass kissing of Scorsese, which hey its Scorsese, he deserves it but this documentary could been great with out it, but it's still very informative. There is also a piece where other directors comment on Goodfellas influence. The rest of the extras include a look at the less glamorous side of the mob life, storyboard-to-screen comparisons and the original trailer. Extras gets a 8/10.

Overall: Goodfellas is one of the best if not the best mob movies ever made, and with with a good DVD to go along with it, this is one of th better releases of 04. Movie gets a 9/10 while the DVD gets a 8/10.

dean7879
im gonna get this i think...dvd sounds good

nice review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.