What enables Superman to fly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Punkyhermy
Is it some sort of anti-gravuty thing that his body exudes?

manjaro
its described as as self telekinises and will power

eleveninches
I thought it was just that kryptonians live in much higher gravity than earthlings do, so he can fly in the relatively low gravity environment.

radioboy121
As most characters out there, there is little to no explanation of how they are truly able to fly. Some are classified as levitating, but others are given no mentioning of this ability, except that they just "fly."

One old comic belief was that an unearthly intelligence means you can also fly. Pre-crisis Superman was able to solve difficult mathematical problems, learn new languages instantly, and even built a contraption to expand his brain power hundredfold. But the correlation of intelligence and flying was never credible.

dami wilson
thats why they killed him off! Gosh, some nerd thought, what have we done? There is no such power as unlimited power! That's God and God alone! Superman aint no God , comic or non comic and look what happened to Christopher Reeve! God bless his soul but humans have to limit stuff they create. Superman has his limits and that's why they killed him off to compete with Marvel! DC comic was growing up and seeing the faults of the past writers! Superman this Superman that! Just too powerful; plain stupid that is!

K3VIL
He can psionically manipulate the gravity around his body defying it granting himself to fly.

@F1
Extremely bad wind

norrin radd
you are joking right

Alienman24
Superman lifts his own body the same way a psionic can lift a brick with their mind. Superman can't life bricks with his mind because his Telekinetics are VERY short range. They do help him maintain the structural integrity of whatever he is lifting though.

Draco69
http://www.starnet-database.com/dbase_deo/profiles/superman/superman.html

The final end all answer.

drex
i beleive it is because of his elongated penis, which flaps in the wind.

also, post crisis supes doesnt have a penis because the crisis was that the hulk ate it!!!

Napalm
Wow I didnt know that he could survie in space

jedi90
u actually hit it right on the mark. originally that was the explaination of all his powers (i.e. flight, strength, invunerability.) back in early superman history. i think it was changed back in the late 60's or early 70's for a more technical answer to why kryptonians didn't have powers on krypton.

ash007
yeah well Superman has some kind of Aurea around him which helps him defy gravity. It kind of like a Telekinesis but he is somehow doing it subconsciously.

Corlock Striker
Originally yes, Supes's powers were explained by Krypton having far more powerful gravity than Earth, however this did not grant Supes flight, instead in his original incarnation it granted him the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, hence why that's in that whole phrase and not, the ability to fly! But yeah, eventually they switched it from gravity realizing that wasn't a good explanation for why he kept his powers, and made them stem from the yellow sun, essenatially turning Supes into a plant.

ZephroCarnelian
Mach ten in the atmosphere? That's rather swift don't you think, lol? Do you think he could move faster if he wanted to, or do you think it's the friction that's stopping him?

I've always been under the impression with Supes that he never seems to use the full extent of his powers - he's always paranoid about the consequences! Whaddya think?

((The_Anomaly))
i think hes gay

Ou Be Low hoo
He has very bad gas, now leave him alone.

Paola
topic

theflyxx
Superman is able to fly, defy gravity, and propel himself through his own psionic capabilities.

He psionically manipulates gravitron particles so that he can float, levitate, fly, etc.

Carrzy
Hahahahahaha

dami wilson
YOU'RE ONE SICK MOTHA! I think its his cape! It's red and gives off steam at the end! Either that or his pants! iTS RED HOT! That's why he can fly faster than a spedding bullet! Wouldn't you fly faster than a speeding bullet if your pants were red hot?

Talking to you Red superfly! Redhot up on your pants dude!!!! Redsuper what?

SpyCspider
Originally posted by drex
i beleive it is because of his elongated penis, which flaps in the wind.

also, post crisis supes doesnt have a penis because the crisis was that the hulk ate it!!!

dayamn..... cool

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by Carrzy
Hahahahahaha

i agree laughing out loud laughing

joeman2
I think saying Superman powers is telekinesis kind of has loopholes in it, since Superman has shown to be able to fly to space, and there isn't any matter for him to propell himself from.

I personally think some organs in his body emits gravitons which lets him go through space and lets him hit ftl.

manjaro
no loopholes, it self telekinesis. he flies by a sheer force of will. of course you must realize that this had to be explained after all this explaining of powers stuff became important to fanboys, cuz back in the post crsis days. supes just flew and thats all there was to it big grin

joeman2
I agree but using something that doesn't exist in real world, telekinesis, to explain to a person scientifically sounds like a paradox to me smile.

But yeah it works until you have some one ask how telekinesis works.

apoc001
You know, Superman's creator said that he couldn't fly, just jump really, really high. I dunno. That doesn't make any sense. I just think he can fly because his Kryptonian digestive system makes him highly intolerant of all foods, thus forming gas...

brice7
Originally posted by jedi90
u actually hit it right on the mark. originally that was the explaination of all his powers (i.e. flight, strength, invunerability.) back in early superman history. i think it was changed back in the late 60's or early 70's for a more technical answer to why kryptonians didn't have powers on krypton.

I've read a couple of superman storys and it actually says that they don't have powers under the red sun of Krypton. (i think so).

jedi90
Originally posted by brice7
I've read a couple of superman storys and it actually says that they don't have powers under the red sun of Krypton. (i think so).

uh......yeah, .....thats ...what i said. roll eyes (sarcastic)

eleveninches
it's telekenesis

Jargon343
Yeah, back in the day Superman's powers were explained by saying Krypton had much more gravity than Earth does. Originally, he could not fly, only jump very far ('Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!')

It was actually the early Superman cartoons that would play before movies back in the 40s that gave him his flying ability. Animators found it difficult to animate him leaping really far without it looking silly, so they gave him flight instead. The comics were quick to follow suit.

josepht
i personally think his superhuman strength pushed him so high and fast it owuld seem as though he's flying

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by josepht
i personally think his superhuman strength pushed him so high and fast it owuld seem as though he's flying

You mean like jumping!? eek!

Mindship
The thing I never liked about the graviton theory is that gravitons are the (hypothetical, thus far) quanta of gravity, and gravity is an attracting force, not repelling. Yeah, you can fudge it by saying "antigravity," but even in theory the graviton is its own antiparticle.

Now that scientists have recently discovered what may be a fifth fundamental force in the universe, a repulsive force--what's causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate--I would imagine that Superman is able to harness This particular force. It is sometimes called quintessence, sometimes vacuum or zero-point energy (although scientists tend to distinguish between vacuum energy and quintessence), but mostly it is just referred to as "dark energy" cuz we haven't the faintest idea what it really is.

LandShark
okay didnt jor-el say something about this in the comics? Bring in an expert to answer this...i could look it up but I dont care enough...lol...Nanu-Nanu!

Bicnarok

FistOfThe North
Superman flies using sheer will power in the same way a humans swimmer does in water without letting himself drown.

...i think

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.