"Underworld" DVD Review Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mane
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000VAFO0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
"Underworld" ($19.99)
Release Date: January 6th, 2004
Runtime: 121 minutes

"In the Underworld, Vampires are a secret clan of modern aristocratic sophisticates whose mortal enemies are the Lycans, a shrewd gang of street thugs who prowl the city's underbelly. No one knows the origin of their bitter blood feud, but the balance of power between them turns even bloodier when a beautiful young Vampire warrior and a newly-turned Lycan with a mysterious past fall in love."

Picture: 2.35:1 Anamorphic transfer mastered in high definition, which in Cinemaddiction's words "makes even the crappiest television look good."

Sound: English and French 5.1 Dolby Digital. English, French and Spanish subtitles. The first commentary by director Len Wiseman, writer Danny McBride, and writer-actor Kevin Grevioux. And the second commentary by creature designer Patrick Tatopoulos, visual effects supervisor and executive producer James McQuaide, and sound designer Claude Letessier.

Extras: Fairly decent; nothing like the new "Unrated Extended Cut" that was released. 3 featurettes.
- Creature effects featurette.
- Stunts featurette.
- Sights and sound featurette.
- Storyboard comparison
- Finch music video: "Worms of the Earth"

Overall: This was a movie I instanly took a liking to because of the intriguing plot, and seemingly awesome visuals. At first I was hasty--because of the reinvention of the Vampire mythology--but this film surprised me. The film: 8/10; the DVD: 8/10. I think you can guess what the overall score is. All in all--with what mistakes it had--this stylish re-telling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" is sleek and fun.

MornGlory
i rented this movie - and i tried to watch it and it bored me to pieces.. I couldnt make it past the first 10 mins

i was like ZZzzzz sleeping

Mane
That's nice...

MornGlory
yep - now you know

Wolfie
Awesome movie! I love it! Underworld Evolution is expected to be released December 9, 2005.

Cinemaddiction
On topic, MG.

Man, that's probably the best review you've written, my friend. I should follow it up with a review of the Unrated Extended version sometime, because THAT is the one everyone should own.

Did you ever listen to the commentary with Len Wiseman, anyway? The UR commentary was more fun than actually "teachy", meaning I didn't learn anything other than Kate Beckinsale is funny as hell.

Mane
Thanks. I've never heard the commentary, no. How is Beckinsale funny? I know she's attractive. drool

Oh yeah and please do write a review of the 2-disc.

dean7879
i hate this film....boring hell

Solo
I was about to buy it the other day. But I heard some bad things about it. So I decided not to. Maybe I'll give it a look on Hbo.

Mane
Honestly, I don't know why it got so much crap..

JKozzy
I bought the Unrated version, and I feel that it was well-spent. The movie was great, I also don't understand why people thought it was boring, because it definately wasn't.

Jackie Malfoy
I never saw it and don't plan too.My twin sister is trying to get me too through she loved it.JM

Beastro
Do see it.You wont be wasting your time wink

Norma Jean
Love this movie. I can't wait for Evolution this year.

Lyra Rose
great movie everyone should see it

Maylien
I loved this film the fight scenes were great

Fëanor
it was ... blah-zay

Elektra_lover
It was great

cljohnston108
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Did you ever listen to the commentary with Len Wiseman, anyway? The UR commentary was more fun than actually "teachy", meaning I didn't learn anything other than Kate Beckinsale is funny as hell.
Originally posted by Mane
Thanks. I've never heard the commentary, no. How is Beckinsale funny? I know she's attractive. drool
Greetings!
Just found this thread (and thus this Forum) by Googling the words "underworld commentary beckinsale funny".
I did this because I'm about halfway through watching the movie for the second time, this time with commentary turned on, and my face was starting to hurt from smiling too much, and my ribs were aching from laughter, so I needed to take a break!
"Hellboy" had been my favorite commentary (Perlman, Blair, Tambor & Evans), but now...

Beckinsale is always playing such sullen characters, I never suspected she had an actual sense of humor!

Her comebacks are smooth, instantaneous, unforced, and mostly delivered at near-whisper volume, which really heightens the effect.

The whole time I was listening, I kept saying to myself, "Somebody needs to transcribe this!" So, in lieu of an entire transcript, please permit me to provide a small sampling.

At the beginning, when we see Selene crouched on the railing in the tower, coat billowing out behind her, Beckinsale says, "That's what my brother calls my 'Bad Gas Moment'."

During the "Ultraviolet Ammo" scene...

Wiseman: This just took forever! There was just a lot of people to cover.
Beckinsale: Hmmm... None of us were really very good, is that what you're saying?

During the "You're All Acting Like Rabid Dogs!" scene...

Speedman: Do they have to be completely naked?
Beckinsale: They weren't, they just rolled their knickers down, didn't they? Do we not say 'knickers' in America?
Speedman: You can say 'knickers'. That would be cool if...
Wiseman: ...if you're a five-year-old.
>snip<
Beckinsale: They were really embarrassed, though, weren't they?
Speedman: Well, that is kind of embarrassing, gotta be naked in front of the camera...
Beckinsale: It's not so much the naked, it's the wet perm that would bother me.

When Singe (Lucian's "Mad Scientist"wink walks toward camera...

Beckinsale: Boy, you just never want somebody coming at you with those gloves on and that expression.

After we meet Erika (Sophia Myles) for the first time...

Speedman: Is her character in the second one? We allowed to talk about that?
Wiseman: Y-yeah, we are. Uhhh, Erika's not.
(beat)
Beckinsale: Am I?
Wiseman: I-I haven't read it yet.

Beckinsale & Wiseman love to tease Speedman for having fallen asleep at the premier, so most of his questions are answered with sentences that end with "...a film called 'Underworld'."

There's also a great bit about Speedman's search for a basketball court and Beckinsale teasing him about his "short shorts", and his voice gets all squeaky when Wiseman accuses him of being a baby. laughing

Of course, the whole Love Triangle aspect to that production does kinda make things more interesting: Beckinsale was living with (and now married to) the director (Len Wiseman), and co-starring with the father of her daughter (Michael Sheen (Lucian)), so there are some subtle "domestic" issues that I thought were handled quite well...

After Lucian's stabbed Selene in the shoulder through the roof of the car, Beckinsale says, "I always think it's healthy for a child to have her parents, sort of, stabbing each other through hoods of cars."

But my favorite part is when Selene's car crashes in the water...

Beckinsale: Is this a miniature, or real thing?
Wiseman: This a miniature. This all miniature.
Beckinsale: I think that's very clever. And I like that you play with dolls and little toy cars.
Wiseman: Thank you, Honey. And I appreciate that you make that known to everybody. I would actually like if you'd stop calling them "dolls".
Speedman: What dolls do you play with?
Wiseman: They're not dolls! Lily goes around and says, "Len plays with dolls..."
Speedman: Len... Wha-what dolls?
Wiseman: They're not dolls! They're...
Speedman: What are they?
Wiseman: They're action figures!
Beckinsale: Lily doesn't actually say "dolls". I'm the only one. She corrects me.
Wiseman: Yeah, you try to get her to... I've gotten her to say "action figures"!

gls
the only thing this film needed was more fight and action sequences.
btw i own the unrated version and i still watch it every now and then. smile i like the film i donno why everybody seemed to hate it. =\

tabby999
i dont know what it is about this movie but every time i go to the movie store for a rent, i always seem to over look it. like i know its there, i know where it is, but when i'm flicking through the selection, i'll be damned if i'll notice it till i get out of the store with my rentals. dont know why, im kinda interested in seeing it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.