Batman Begins - PC tampering

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darksweeney
Christian Bale .... Bruce Wayne/Batman
Michael Caine .... Alfred Pennyworth
Morgan Freeman .... Lucius Fox
Katie Holmes .... Rachel
Cillian Murphy .... Dr. Jonathan Crane
Liam Neeson .... Henri Ducard
Gary Oldman .... Lt. James Gordon
Ken Watanabe .... Ra's Al Ghul

There were complaints about the nationalities of actors - that is NOT what this post is about. Suffice that so long as the characters portrayed are accurate, so be it. Christian Bale & Gary Oldman are British, but you will never be able to tell in their films if they don't want you to know.
The reason for this post is the character of Ras 'al Ghul portrayed by Ken Watanabe (of The Last Samurai film).
If his character remains Middle Eastern, I'll be happy, but I believe the producers wish to change the ethnicity to something more decidely asian.
We all know why this PC move is being made (Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda terrorist network), the question is if this is true, is it the right move to down play the arab world for the asain world? Please note Muslims inhabit both, so I don't see the difference if they wish not to offend anyone.
Your thoughts?

Gregory
I don't think it's a huge deal. I don't like seeing characters messed around with, but unless it actually detracts from the film, I won't worry about it.

kal-el
We dont know for sure that this is the reason.But if it is, I'm in total agreement with you. I thought,however, that Watanbe was chosen for his martial arts skills as Rhas a Ghaul is pretty kick ass! Its an important part of the role. But until now I hadnt seen it from you're angle-partly coz I didnt know Rhas a ghul's nationality.

neo2
Yeah, this is a really great cast. It looks very promising. And I think they'll only keep some nationalities. For instance, Johnathan Crane, with his role played by Brit Cillian Murphy, he would work good British or American. Ken Watanabe, kick A$$ either way. Michael Cane, British and so is his character, good.

nightcrawer89
i alredy know all of this any way

SpyCspider
I think Watanabe is good because he's got those piercing eyes. And he's a promising up and coming actor for his Last Samurai role. If they don't make a big deal about him being Asian in the film, there should be no problem. No complaints here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.