what is the longest running comic series?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
Which comic title has been running for the longest period of time/ which one has had most issues?

Have any got to #1000?

The ones I know of are:
Action Comics #823
Detective Comics #802
Adventures of Superman #635

any others?

ScarletSpider
No 1000's yet, but there should be in our life times...at some point.

For Marvel the longest running are/were Thor (up until they killed him), Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man.

manjaro
hulk is up there too....in the 400's i think

ayjay
watabout captain america?.....how long has been goin...wasnt he created in like the 1930s?

eleveninches
for marvel:
Fantastic 4 (#522)
Avengers (ended at #504)

for DC:
Action COmics (#823)
Detective Comics (#802)
Adventures of superman (#635)

Vertigo:
Hellblazer (#203)

radioboy121
I think it was 1940 or 1941, but he didn't show up in the 50's and came only when he was revitalized in the Avengers.

Superman should be on the list if you count for the fact that his comic has branched off from the original to multiple names, from "Action Comics" to "Superman," then on to others like "Adventures of" and the "Man of Steel."

eleveninches
but this is about the longest running title, not the character who has been in comics for the longest

radioboy121
If we're going only by numbers on the comic tab, you would be correct. But the original Superman was replaced for a different name (i.e. Man of Steel), so essentially the number is larger than what is implied.

ScarletSpider
Thor's series took into account the early issues of Journey Into Mystery. He hit is 500 a little before the whole Onslaught fiasco. Then it went back to Journey Into Mystery for around 18 issues (which is not counted in his issue count), then he came back for 85 issues of a new volume. His last issue was 587.

Arachnoidfreak
Amazing Spiderman is up there with like 516 I think.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.