Video Games Too Violent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ploop4444
Do you think that video games are too violent? I don't. If you do, why? If not, Why not?

I need help for this project i'm doing but i dont know how to start it off,

Cheers,

Justin

Samas-adian
Yeah, I think some videogames are too violent buts it's not because of the excess gore but the context that comes with the violence. GTA is a good example of this. You get rewards for killing as many people as you can. But i enjoy it because im old enough to understand.

But, i dont think videogames violence is the problem. I think parents are the problem. I dont agree 10 years old playing very violent games, but i agree that its not the developers fault but the parents. They should understand what thier child is playing.

ragesRemorse
You may say that violence in video games is a problem and actually have a valid argument. However, the reason no one could ever argue in the favor of violence in video games being negative is because the most violent video games are the ones being demanded. our society is a simple supply and demand. We have seen a steady incline in video game vioence since the mid 90's. the reason the violence in video games keep growing is not becuase these games are corrupting people and brainwashing them into wanting violence, but because violence has always been in our nature. there is a sub concious urge for people to act out fantasies in a violent manner. Violence in video games is not negative, just a result of supply and demand.

Dazzler619
It depends on what video games your talking about. Grand Theft Auto and those war games are the major ones

Unholy_Cheese
I dont get offended by the violent games. I get offened by the crap games

Arena Host
I don't think video games and movies show enough realism in their violence. Most people don't realize the reality of killing and death or even the subliminal messages put in the violence. If they only knew about real pain, suffering, and death.
Eventually, this level of violence we see today will not interest people enough anymore. So movies and video games will be raised in the amount violent content. Violence has been slowly raised from the beginning of movies.
The difference between thinking about violence and seeing violence is that by seeing, it is being placed in your mind. Seeing is believing. Are you really seeing real violence when you look at the screen? Is it really happening? Violence is a real thing. However, it is just a word to describe a natural set of actions. A word created by human beings. Do people consider it an evil (wrong) thing? People seem to enjoy seeing violence simulated in movies and video games. Evil is just another word created by humans to categorize a certain set of actions. In order for something be labeled evil, it must be evil to someone.
Some people see violence in video games as a problem that can create more problems. The violence is supposed to be fun. The truth is, violence is or can be fun, especially to watch. It is the belief that violent actions for "wrong" reasons is, well... wrong. People are afraid that messages are being sent through multi-media to people cause them to commit the "wrong" violent actions. Through your eyes and ears you are never ceasing to receive messages. The truth is that the "real" problem is people are not thinking enough about the messages they receive. A combination of many things cause human beings to kill each others. Multi-media just reminds people that they can kill other people.

Samas-adian
True and that's why we have restrictions on violent content. It's not censoring at all because you still get an un-edited version of the game. It just stops kids who are not mature enough to understand that the violence is fake and stylized. But, its still the parents who should make the decision.

I love violent games and i would be very angry if the gov't put a law against it. I just dont think little kids should be playin them.

Fire
There's quite a bit of violence in videogames but I don't think it makes people violent

JToTheP
Violence is all in the eye of the player. It's up to the parent to know what games their child/teenager are playing. I've been playing Teen rated games since I was 7, and Mature rated games since I was 12, my mom knew this, and she bought half of the games for me, for past Christmases, Birthdays. So it's up to the parents to do their job. Although I will say, Manhunt is probably my LIMIT for a violent video game I can play without thinking it goes TOO far.

SaTsuJiN
Precisely.. the developers choose the degree of violence to make the story and setting more immersive. I personally love the gritty atmosphere of an apocalyptic kill-or-be-killed setting, which manhunt pulled off greatly. I think it was surprising, but not too far.

fierypaws
Violence is common these days in video games, alot of them are quite violent, but people that play those types of games should be smart enough to know that they shouldn't try what they see in games, anyone who is plaing a game and wat's to "do the same thing as them when they grow up" is obviously not ready to play that game

Red Superfly
They are no worse than movies.

Questin Tarantino gets his gore-fests called "works of art", and video games with about as much gore, possibly less, are called "flith".

Violence in video games will stop being an issue when video games are accepted as a true artistic medium like movies, music and television.

People that criticise the likes of GTA don't know what they are talking about. GTA: San Andreas in particular even addresses valuable moral issues such as taking drugs and looking after your loved ones; it takes a moral highground and the violence, car-jackings and gunnings are all there to reflect everything that is wrong with modern society. Yet critics fail to understand what the damn thing is about and would rather instead focus on only what they see in front of their eyes like narrow minded jackasses.

Lord_Andres
Violent, I want more games like SoF 1!!!

Samas-adian
Is that what GTA is really about?

To teach people its wrong to car-jack, murder and create mayhem?
I highly doubt that.

***S***
Let me pose a follow-up question:

Does this violence in any way contribute to the violence that is happening? Or is it that nobody bothers to pay attention to the "ratings" on vids?

Games are marked 18+ for a reason, or whatever the hell the rating is. (I am 20, I am free to do what I want. wink) If a game is too violent, then why are you playing it? Vids are violent, in my opinion, so there is something to releave violent tendencies.

<Machete_Guy
Dont you think someone is all ready violent before they play the violent game? The game might spark it. But its not like other things do too.

BackFire
No

No.

2x2 eyes
the game- man hunt who supposeidly killed a boy was to blame... but what happened to the other gamers??? they didnt go around killing people.

if your a player of athens 2005, doesn't mean your a olympic gymnast... gettit? and playing final fantasy doen't make you want to go outside and kill birds and bunnies witha gigantic sword...
it hasnt made me violent.. yet, but i dont think it make you violent.

it all depends on your head i guess..

Samas-adian
Videogames don't cause violence. Negligent parents cause violence. Social, physical and mental abuse causes violence. Videogames might give them ideas but its bad parents and bad people that causes it.

Draco69
I personally don't give flying $#%$ if video games are violent. As long as the violence is done stylishly (i.e. Devil May Cry) not vulgarly (i.e. Mortal Kombat.)

Video games don't cause violence. Blaming video games is just a scapegoat for bad parenting and improper raising.

Samas-adian
Exactly.

Red Superfly
Dude, I never said GTA teaches you that car jackings and murders are wrong, I said GTA is blatantly telling the player what can happen in society. It IS what happens in some places.

For stuck-up nobodies to criticise the game for representing REAL LIFE is unbelievable. They want everyone to stick their head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. However, the main character, Carl, is actually a GOOD GUY in my opinion. He shuns drugs, and is reluctant to carry out his mission. He commits crimes because he has no alternative, he has to fight for the ones he loves or greed and corruption will rule his neighbourhood. GTA: SA goes a long way to provide a reasoning behind the so-called "mindless violence". Granted, GTA3 and Vice City had contemptable characters, but I think Rockstar have acknowledged their responsibilties and provided a good guy character for a change, to provide that everyman quality in the lead character. It all goes a lot deeper than that, but I think GTA has evolved into something more morally acceptable than when GTA3 first came out.

Also, did anyone even get to play Manhunt? No, I bet it was banned before anyone had a chance to, including the critics. Manhunt wasn't just a stupid killing game either, it was about a man living a nightmare. He had to kill in order to survive. If he performed "boring" murders, the bad guy taunts you with promises of murderring his family and killing him. It's the player living a nightmare, the player doesn't perform a nightmare.

The way I see Manhunt is, if you are sane enough to begin with, you will want the killings to stop. The message throughout the game is to put across how truly awful the players situation is. The game doesn't ever say "go kill, its a reward", it actually says "kill, or be killed". A sane person would consider this a nightmare situation, and hope to never ever be put in a similar situation (the game is based on stealth and tension - you have to be unnerved to feel tension right?). An unstable person would love the situation.

Arena Host
Both excellent points Red Superfly.

Lord_Andres
Ah I might want to get me that game Red, but is it for PC or just consol?

dave123
there's vilolence everywhere these days

fish

Samas-adian
What about Vice City. Was Rockstar's point for the game was to teach people how to assassinate durglords, and run a criminal business. I think Rockstar intended people to live out there guilty fanatasies and also be anti-hero.

Punk Tiger
Some are too violent, and people in shops sell them to under aged people! Ain't they got brains?!! On the news a while back two 12 year old boys were sent on some sort of mission you could say, to see how many 18 rated games they could get.

They went around the shops and 1 of them got five 18 rated games without being asked age or anything... even got Man Hunt which had been taken off selves because too violent and stuff happening...

Then this other kid, think was 15 and played Grand Theft Auto, after watching it and playing it, he wanted the real action... so he got a gun and killed his next door 'nabour' (I know that's spelt wrong but can't spell it).

Dogbert
If that can't differentiate a video-game and real-life, they will find some way to kill people or themselves even if games like GTA and Manhunt didn't exist.

Dogbert
"Granted, GTA3 and Vice City had contemptable characters"

pr1983
it was banned where you live?

i actually thought it was overhyped... it lost its lustre the 50th time i had suffocated a guy with a plastic bag....

it had its moments, but was the most overhyped game i've ever played...

too violent... bullshit...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.