Awesome Sprint Coach

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
I just got a new track coach and he is awesome. My coach last year sucked balls but this one is definitely experienced. He one a couple national championships back in the day and holds the 14th best long jump in history. He's also experienced at coaching. He has coached the pros including Tim Montgomery. Now he is coaching me and promises to run us like he ran the pros. We just had a nice 3 and half hour practice for our first day. I can't wait to kick ass this year. Hopefully I can go to nationals a year earlier than I had hoped.

forumcrew
what does he tell you to do run faster?.. a weight training coach is all i could see other then that dont u just sprint as fast as you can.. its not like distance where theres more strategy involved

Myth
In races he can tell any minor flaw in your form which will help big time. Plus, in 400s, pacing is very important. You can't go too hard the whole time or you'll hit the wall and everybody will pass you. Obviously you don't want to pace too much either or you won't be able to catch up.

The training is very important (this is where coaches really are needed in track). He has designed excellent work outs that last 3 and a half hours. That is long for a track practice because it is purely physical training unlike basketball and any other sport where it is part physical, part skill development. And yes, he has us hitting the weights hardcore. I have lifted consistently for 6 years but never like this and never after brutal running sessions.

Myth,

wats ur 400m pb

Myth
400 isn't my specialty so I have only ran an open 400 once in the past 3 years. My time was 52.2 but I wasn't at my best that day. My coach hand timed me in a 4x4 at 49 seconds. As anybody in track knows though, hand times are very inaccurate. So, it is probably in the 50 second flat range, but it is hard to tell. Do you have a time?

Edit: Btw, that coach was awesome but my body struggled with the intense, professional-like workouts. I got stress fractures in both my shins my junior year and was unable to compete most of the season despite putting on 20 additional pounds of muscle. The coach, Llewellyn Starks, was not asked back for my senior year because he got negative public press the summer before (http://www.argusobserver.com/articles/2007/06/11/news/news06.txt). I ended up getting a coach for my senior year that his strengths complimented those of what I learned from Lew and gave me a great season (11.10 and 22.73 for the 100 and 200, respectively).

wuTa
Have you ever timed your mile?

Myth
Ha, I usually am happy just to finish a mile. I have timed my mile that I use as a warm-up and it was like 6:30. It was a faster than comfortable pace but it was also a warm-up so it is in no way how fast I could run it. I would guess that if I were to go all out I would only be in the barely under 6 minute range. Very poor stamina (as with many sprinters).

wuTa
In general, running the mile in the 6 minute mark is actually pretty good, have you ever timed your 40?

RecSpecs110
I'm more of a XC runner, and my best race is the 5k. But I still do track in the winter and spring.

Myth
Originally posted by wuTa
In general, running the mile in the 6 minute mark is actually pretty good, have you ever timed your 40?

Its pretty good for the general public, but I wouldn't want to enter competition with that time. I have ran a 40 in high school (about 6-7 years ago). I do not remember the time though because it was not significant for me. I do remember it was easily the fastest on the track team, but that was expected.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.