The Random Music Rant Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcrypT
A place to talk about things that aren't worth starting a new thread for but you feel are worth saying; anything music related works.

I started this for 2 reasons:
1. For all the times I felt like giving some useless information or just plain speak my mind.
2. I'm desperately trying to start a successful thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start by saying that Green Day are awesome!
No matter how much I hear them they'll alway be good and I never get sick of them. It's been too long since I've just sat and listened to Green Day!
*Loads Green Day onto the playlist*

MornGlory
I like Oasis...

but not many of my fellow americans will like them with me.... but when I lived in London for a year... I was surrounded by Oasis lovers...

looking forward to their new album in May (??) - hopefully they will stop fighting long enough to release their album on time this time

Sex Pistol
The Libertines need to reform. And Pete needs to get off the dugs. Being in babyshambles isnt helping him. And i really hope Carl gets better. i feel so sorry for him and i could just cry for him.

AcrypT
To bad their aren't more woman who do heavy rock, metal and other heavy music's of the sort.
Nothing like hearing a girl (who's hot) scream at the top of her lungs!

Sex Pistol
Ive found most girls who are in a band are often found to be punk, arent they?

AcrypT
Kittie, Otep, I can't see how they'd be punk?
There are quite a few Punkrock female singers but that's not the type of girl singers I was talking about. Rock lacks Female singers in general, too bad.

eggmayo
England is where all the best bands and guitarists came from.

Sex Pistol
I know you werent talking about that type of music. But i just said that MOST of the female singers are all punk related.

Deathblow
The Birthday Massacre still haven't been signed! I'm desperate for a full-length TBM album sad

Sex Pistol
The Libertines and Muse are nominated in the Brit awards.

Alpha Centauri
"England is where all the best bands and guitarists came from."

Yeah. My Dad often saw Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai down the local pub.

Coz you know those guitarists (the best there is and were, arguably) were British.

Oh wait.....No they weren't.

Such a silly claim to say that all the best bands ever were British.

-AC

eggmayo
Bands:
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Beatles
Muse
Radiohead
Sex Pistols
Coldplay
Stone Roses
Def Leopard
Iron Maiden
The Clash

Guitarists:
Brian May
Slash (GnR)
Tony Iommi
Pete Townshend
Richie Blackmore
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page

No offense, I'll probably get blasted to hell for this, but I don't think playing at 200 bpm is that great... a lot of Hendrix's songs descend into walls of white noise. Satch and Vai are so covered with effects, you cant even hear the guitar tone. The only really great guitarist you mentioned there would be Van Halen.
In my honest opinion, the bands and guitarists I've listed above are easily some of the greatest in the world.

Deathblow
All but three of those bands you mentioned were/are great (although you missed out Procupine Tree, who are better than all but one in that list), but AC's point was that not all of the best guitarists were British, he wasn't saying British musicians suck. He's completely right, I can think of about 10 just off the top of my head to add to the ones he mentioned, 5 of which aren't even American which is nice.

And I'm not a huge Hendrix fan myself, but 'white noise'?? Don't mean to sound rude, but are your ears functioning properly?

eggmayo
Star Spangled Banner

Deathblow
confused well you certainly told me.

Afro Cheese
Most of the time when I ask a guitarist who the best guitarist was they say Joe Satriani.

MornGlory
o come on - couldnt you add Oasis to your little list- I mean you put Coldplay in there

Darth Revan
Okay, this is something that's been pissing me off for a while now. The whole thing with pop artists and teenyboppers wearing the anarchy sign and putting it on their speakers and such has to stop. I swear that 90% of these people know absolutely jack shit about anarchy except for that the Sex Pistols sang about it. Since when has Kelly Clarkson been a rebellious punk rocker? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sex Pistol
Thats why i love Britain today. Cos rock music (and i mean proper rock music) is coming back into the mainstream. Real new artists such as, The libertines, Muse (not new but finally hit mainstream last year), Franz Ferdinand, snow patrol, Keane and many more have totally shook the nation into complete indie punk rock.

eggmayo
Okay then... but I cant alter it now... anyway, Coldplay were okay before they turned boring.

Sex Pistol
How do you know they turned boring when their new album isnt even out yet? Let me guess are you listening to the media.

eggmayo
The past few albums were kinda boring... same old dreary lyrics

Sex Pistol
Past few! They've only brought out two!

eggmayo
Okay, I apologise... Parachutes was good, A rush of blood to the head, not so good.

Sex Pistol
I thought a rush of blood to the head was great. Lots of people loved it but i suppose they got bored of it which is a really big shame.

eggmayo
How many live albums have they got?

Sex Pistol
i dont know. Not to many. Less than what people think.

eggmayo
I decided to look on VH1.com, they have at least three studio albums.

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/coldplay/albums.jhtml

Sex Pistol
Sorry i cant check the page is restricted on my site.

Tilien
Rush of blood to the head was indeed a gd album, i still love it... they need new stuff now thou

Sex Pistol
Yeah the new album is coming out this year.

eggmayo
They apparently have another album, called Maximum Coldplay and its a bunch of songs I've never heard of.

Sex Pistol
Oh maximum coldplay. Well lots of bands have albums called maximum where there's a few songs on that were b sides, and has some interviews on as well. Its not an official album. The Libertines, foo fighters, placebo and etc have a maximum album.

Deathblow
Coldplay have always been boring. Like Snow Patrol, it's just sub-Radiohead weakling music.

What is it with the Green Day obsession right now? I like them and all, but man they are everywhere at the moment. I can't turn on the TV without hearing Boulevard of Broken Dreams, every schoolgirl in the country has (the same) Green Day poster in their bedroom windows, and Billie Joe now causes an almost Ville Vallo status of hysteria amongst them. They're good, but come on, they're no Black Flag. Also, kids today need to realise that they did exist BEFORE American Idiot, Shenanigans and Warning, which in my opinion are their three weakest albums.

Silver Stardust
I agree....suddenly Green Day has become huge. And it kinda annoys me that they're the new huge thing...I liked them MUCH better years ago. Then again, Green Day is another group I've listened to as long as I can remember.

Afro Cheese
Green Day have always been popular as far as I know. But yeah I don't get why they are such a big deal right now..

tabby999
they kick arse, and it is a bastard that people don't realise how long they've been around. Warning was ok, Shenanigans was a b side album, and they're generally not that amazing unless your a big fan anyway. dont worry, all those teen girls will change to the next big thing soon enough, and it'll all be over.

and to whoever said about the anarchy sign before, i agree, but i dont think even the Sex Pistols didn't quite get "Anarchy" i read the definition and cant remember it exactly, but its not the sort of anarchy the sex pistols imagined

Afro Cheese
"Anarchy" is nothing but a fashion statement in the music world. Even good bands that sing about anarchy only do it to be cool.

Silver Stardust
Oh, they've been big for years; I remember listening to them when I was in 2nd grade (yes, most of the music I listen to now I have since I was little. My mother has amazingly good musical taste). But now since they released American Idiot they're the new "in thing".

AcrypT
I got into a Green Day fit the other day and I never even heard their new album, American Idiot. I like their old stuff, Inosmanic, Dookie, Nimrod, those were good albums, Warning wasn't bad but it just seemed like an desperate attempt to fit back into the modern music world. I'm afraid to listen to American Idiot because I don't wanna find out that Green Day sold themselves out just to make a few extra bucks and stay on the music charts. One of these days I'll listen to American Idiot but for now I'm content with their old stuff. It is kinda strange to see so many people talking about Green Day now adays, when 6 years ago they were just another band.

Today I think I'm gonna go on a Tool Rampage for a change....Fun fun fun!

Tptmanno1
Music Rant?
Oh boy My forte!

Silver Stardust
Tool rampage...droolio

Man, I remember clearly when Dookie came out...in fact, I'm sure that if I look around, I'll be able to find the CD somewhere.

Silver Stardust
laughing I'm amazed you hadn't already seen this thread!

AcrypT
Have any of you ever heard of "Lifer", I just heard them for the first time this week and they're surprisingly good and unheard of. It's nearly impossable to find anyweare to download them or hear them off the internet and I havn't ever even seen their disc in a store (that could just be because I'm from Israel and they have crap for music over here) but their out their.
They're kinda Alternative Metal and they're good, what els can I say... check them out!

Tptmanno1
SS>
Yea, shoudl I post my good music rant?

MornGlory
tell me about it sad I almost snooze to them now sleeping

Silver Stardust
Do it......laughing out loud

Darth Revan
Indeed, true anarchy is more like a true communist society in its most "mature" stage (after any problems have worked themselves out and people have learned to be responsible for their own actions w/o government intervention). IMO it's something that could never really be achieved since there will always be selfish people who want to commit crimes and make life difficult for others...

MornGlory
I remember when Dookie came out
- i was in highschool! Im glad i was in highschool and not in grade school - that would suck!

yea I had my flannel shirt on with - red mary jane doc martins cool

Silver Stardust
It would never work out in reality, just like communism...though in theory it'd be great.

MornGlory -- heh, being in grade school and listening to Green Day and Rage Against the Machine sure made me stand out from everyone else laughing out loud it was really funny actually.

Deathblow
How comes nobody knows Heaven Falls Hard?? mad

Libertine
Can i just say to everyone who is saying that green day has become an obsession to people, that it happens to nearly every band when they bring out a new album, it happened to the foo fighters it happened to u2 and its happening to green day. People will cool down mid tour, then it'll start up again when their next album is released. My advice is to just be greatful that a good band is going to be in loads of magazines with loads of interviews for a while.

Tilien
Too True... Greenday are gd and yes every band does go through the same thing yes

Silver Stardust
No, it doesn't happen to nearly every band, it only happens to a few where they suddenly skyrocket after releasing an album. Green Day just timed their release of American Idiot very well.

Libertine
Yes thats what you call good marketing. Of course they brought out at a good time they do want their album to do well you know.

AcrypT
Holy sh1t!
I just saw a DVD of Marlyn Manson Live, he sick but awsome!
All in all, I've decided that I need to be some day at one of his concerts.
The guy is a certified phsycopath but he's good at it!

GABRIEL05
1. All composers are pretty much mediocre compared to Bach.

2. All musicians are pretty much mediocre compared to Coltrane.

Tirekicker
That's a pretty arrogant statement.

Bierbommetje
Not to mention untrue

Atomic Rico
oooooooh, this is my kind-o-thread
uhh, let me think of something ranty to say...."St.Anger" ****in sucked!!!!!!!!!

Libertine
I thought so too.

GABRIEL05
I dunno... I could argue it but only if someones down to counterpoint.

Libertine
Well i cant be arsed to argue. Although i dont agree.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.